Photo

Worst Weather Experience

So what is your worst weather experience ever?

17 replies to this topic

#1 meiser5

meiser5

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 02:37 PM

Title pretty much covers it. Since we are about to be hit with Tropical Storm Ernesto in my area I got the inspiration to see what all you guys worst experiences were.

Meiser--- :) Riding out Tropical Storm Ernesto...
Account Suspension Notification

[DYE]Terminator[gen],
Your member account at NerfHaven has been temporarily suspended because I don't like you. Shindig doesn't like you either. You watch yourself, we're wanted men. I have the death sentence on 12 systems.
Talio---

#2 moubeus5018

moubeus5018

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 04:45 PM

I almost got stuck by lightning twice in one day. Huge storm and we were in a parking lot and all of a suddent everything went white and BOOM!! It had hit the other side of the lot (about 500 feet away). Then later same thing.

Another time was i went to school early one rainy morning and went to the band room. So me and about 50 people are in there and talking before school starts(we would do it every day) and when the 15 min.-to-get-to-class-bell rang, we go out into the hall and everyone is in tornado positions and were all like WTF? The teachers wig out and say get down and hurry and bla, bla ,bla. Turns out the band room was too loud to hear the siren and they called it about a minute after i got to school. If i had been 5 minutes late I would have heard over the radio and not gone to school and went to my aunts resturant. Turns out that the f2 twister went by there by about a half mile. I could have saw a twister. So i am never going to go to school early again.

Edited by moubeus5018, 30 August 2006 - 10:03 PM.

We are opposite sides of the same coin. Nomatter how we face, we will never see eye to eye."

#3 Uncle Hammer

Uncle Hammer

• Members
  • 750 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 08:17 PM

Mesier where do you live? It ain't gonna be a tropical storm for long when it gets into the gulf,the waters are only about 1-2 degrees cooler then they were for katrina.

EDIT: You'll have to excuse what was said above, I hadn't seen where it was headed for awhile. The last time I checked it had it going for the panhandle of florida and now it's already making landfall at the tip as a TS. So it probably won't be a hurricane or a TS for much longer.

Edited by Uncle Hammer, 29 August 2006 - 10:14 PM.

Don't mess with Texas cuz its bigger than France, bitch..
QUOTE (Talio)
Catagory 5 hurricanes are the mighty dick of God.  You don't mess with that!  You don't mess with Gods dick!

#4 Lancaster

Lancaster

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 10:18 PM

Hurricane Jeane. Huge tree went down right across my dirveway. Shut off water and car access. But we were lucky it didn't land on my house. :)

#5 ShadowSniper

ShadowSniper

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 08:37 AM

There was a big storm over here on the west coast a few years ago, 100MPH+ winds, trees getting blown over and things flying all over the place that weren't secured. I remember coming home from school one of the days during the storm and having the car almost get pushed off the highway from the wind. What's cool though, is if I remember right, we got a "storm day" off from school.

#6 meiser5

meiser5

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 02:09 PM

Mesier where do you live? It ain't gonna be a tropical storm for long when it gets into the gulf,the waters are only about 1-2 degrees cooler then they were for katrina.

EDIT: You'll have to excuse what was said above, I hadn't seen where it was headed for awhile. The last time I checked it had it going for the panhandle of florida and now it's already making landfall at the tip as a TS. So it probably won't be a hurricane or a TS for much longer.

I live in the Volusia/Flagler County area, and I had not checked the weather for a couple hours until they downgraded it, so basically they were full of shit when they said it was going to hit with 50+ winds. The biggest gust we have had so far is 15, and that was for like six seconds....

Damn news people...

Meiser--- :) Riding out Tropical Storm Ernesto...( Supposedly)

[DYE]Terminator[gen],
Your member account at NerfHaven has been temporarily suspended because I don't like you. Shindig doesn't like you either. You watch yourself, we're wanted men. I have the death sentence on 12 systems.
Talio---

#7 DX-Robert

DX-Robert

formerly DX

• Members
  • 679 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 03:04 PM

Tropical systems are obviously being hyped up this year due to last year's fiasco with Katrina. 50 MPH winds and some visitors evacuated the Keys? Heck, we get stonger winds during ordinary thunderstorms.

I have quite a few weather-related stories, including about a dozen close misses with tornadoes. I used to live west of Chicago, so it was not surprising to see the sky turn green and to hear sirens go off. In fact, before I was born, a twister roared right down the middle of my future street.

However, tornadoes have touched down near where I've stayed/lived three times in the Northeast, which is rare. Eastern MA, eastern Long Island, and here in northern NJ. The most recent hit Bergenfield, about a mile and a half from my house.

For hurricanes, Floyd was the worst in this area, not due to wind, but to two feet of rain in 4 days. That caused flooding at the 25 year mark. Hurricanes are rare here, but we usually get the leftovers of systems that make landfall down south.

The worst storm I've seen was an extremely violent thunderstorm that stalled over the county for nearly 2 hours. When a microburst sits over you for that long, trees go down in just about every other yard.

United Nerf Ops - The premier northeast US nerf club serving the tristate area (NY, NJ, CT)
NYC Nerf Ops - Nerf in New York City itself
NJ Nerf Ops - Nerf in New Jersey
CT Nerf Ops - Nerf in Connecticut

UNO also has a Discord server, DM me on Discord to join (@vincentdrake)

-----------------------------------------------
My other groups:
Nerf Thrifters - A group for posting thrifts and other second-hand finds

#8 Ronster

Ronster

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 05:54 PM

I almost got stuck by lightning twice in one day. Huge storm and we were in a parking lot and all of a suddent everything went white and BOOM!! I had hit the other side of the lot (about 500 feet away). Then later same thing.

Dude, if you flew 500 feet then you must have landed on your head...
-I Nerf, there for I am.

QUOTE(baghead @ Oct 25 2006, 09:55 AM) View Post
Ronster reminded me that I should have warned you all Prepare your Bladder for Imminent Release!!!!

#9 Lancaster

Lancaster

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 07:08 PM

I almost got stuck by lightning twice in one day. Huge storm and we were in a parking lot and all of a suddent everything went white and BOOM!! I had hit the other side of the lot (about 500 feet away). Then later same thing.

I think he meant it hit 500 feet away. Flying 500 feet would be ridiculous, even for the internet, nevertheless saying he did it twice.

#10 bogboogalars

bogboogalars

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 07:35 PM

one time I rode out an F5 twister here in arkansas I was at school in the hall.

#11 Snazzy Q

Snazzy Q

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 08:39 PM

A few years ago we had a big ice storm here in GA. The ice storm itself wouldn't have been so bad on its own, but I ended up having the worst luck of my life that week. My grandmother died two nights before the storm hit, three days before my birthday. Of course nobody knew the ice storm was going to happen so about a dozen relatives came to stay in our small house for the funeral. Then the storm put a half an inch layer of ice on everything for about two days. The weight of the ice pulled down trees onto power lines and put out the power for almost a week. The roads were slippery so all the relatives were stranded in our house which was electrically heated, so we all froze and had to wear our jackets inside. We couldn't cook anything because our stove was electric too.

#12 moubeus5018

moubeus5018

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 10:05 PM

I think he meant it hit 500 feet away. Flying 500 feet would be ridiculous, even for the internet, nevertheless saying he did it twice.

Yeah you are right I had made a typo. I am sometimes a little it disslexic. I have edited it. But yeah big loud and scared the shit out of me. If it hadnt been for the seat belt id have hit the car roof Because it startled me so much I jumped.
We are opposite sides of the same coin. Nomatter how we face, we will never see eye to eye."

#13 Lancaster

Lancaster

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 07:38 AM

Ernesto was a big disappointment. As I type this I am sitting in school...bored. At least we got a day off. I specifically enjoyed sitting outside yesterday...there was no rain at all until 5:00 p.m. Does everyone always get this freaked out about the first hurricane of the year or is it just because of Katrina?

I can still remember being holed up in my bathroom for 6 hours during Hurricane Charley. Now that was a 'cane. That is not something I want to go through again.

#14 DX-Robert

DX-Robert

formerly DX

• Members
  • 679 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 10:56 AM

It's just because of Katrina. The government knows that it fucked up badly, and the media knows it can feed off hurricane hype for at least this season to try and boost their ratings. Happens after every major disaster. Ernesto might actually be worse up here, simply because it is supposed to dump major amounts of rain on already totally saturated ground. It's poured for the last 4 days, the last thing the Northeast needs is the remains of a tropical system.

United Nerf Ops - The premier northeast US nerf club serving the tristate area (NY, NJ, CT)
NYC Nerf Ops - Nerf in New York City itself
NJ Nerf Ops - Nerf in New Jersey
CT Nerf Ops - Nerf in Connecticut

UNO also has a Discord server, DM me on Discord to join (@vincentdrake)

-----------------------------------------------
My other groups:
Nerf Thrifters - A group for posting thrifts and other second-hand finds

#15 meiser5

meiser5

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 02:07 PM

Yeah guys, it was definately blown way out of proportions. And to comemorate how well this topic is doing, I present THIS, George Carlin is like the word of reason.

Meiser--- ^_^

NOTE THEIR IS A LOT OF CURSING IN THE CLIP... ENJOY

Sorry about the Canada part.

Edited by meiser5, 31 August 2006 - 07:47 PM.

[DYE]Terminator[gen],
Talio---

#16 LordoftheRing434

LordoftheRing434

• Members
  • 565 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 01:18 AM

The Legendary Halloween Blizzard of Minnesota 1991. It ranged from Northern Minnesota to the Twin Cities. Duluth (where I was at the time) was hit with 3 feet of snow in one night! If I remember right, the Twin Cities got somewhere around 2 feet.

I know it's nowhere near being as disastrous as a hurricane, but that's all that the Northern Midwest has to offer. Nonetheless, the storm was still dangerous. Anyone who has had to drive in unplowed winter conditions will know what I'm talking about. Two inch sheets of ice on the road's surface. Of course, I was too young to drive in that storm, but it's difficult enough with our average blizzards. That would have been a nightmare.

So there's our meteorlogical diversity lesson of the day. Water is just as dangerous in its frozen state.

~Rings
And when he gets to Heaven, to St. Peter he will tell, "One more soldier reporting sir, I've served my time in hell."

"I bluff it. I don't throw my weight around and say I know what I'm doing." ~ Mick Jagger

#17 Deathbymonkey

Deathbymonkey

• Banned
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 07:51 AM

Yes, I know what you mean about the midwest. I havent had any horrific weather experiences, but the city pretty much panics if we get more than an inch or two of snowfall, even though we have been having more severe winters lately. We just dont have the infastructure to keep the roads clear like they do further north. So they usually declare a winter weather emergency a couple times per year.

Edited by Deathbymonkey, 01 September 2006 - 08:09 AM.

How will you die? Eaten by sharks, or death by monkey! CHOOSE! --Andy (the kid in toy story)

#18 mkg91 0

mkg91 0

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 10:29 AM

August 29 in New jersey we had 8 stright hours of tornado warnings and watches for chester county pennsylvania and south jersey cumberland county salem county. There was a tornado about 10 minutes away from where i live.
If quizes are quizicals then what are tests?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users