Dual Or Not?

the argument of the pistol fanatics

42 replies to this topic

#1 Nerfnewbie

Nerfnewbie

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 01:08 PM

I would just like to know what you guys's comments and thoughts are about duel weapons (holding one weapon of the same kind in each hand). And if so, which guns do you prefere to do this with. There are advantiges and disadvantiges to this, being, you get more shots, but priming is sometimes a problem. Sorry about the spelling guys, I haven't spelled in forever. I didn't make this a pole because I thoought there were to many variables with different guns and all. Thanks.

PINEY EDIT: I edited your title so it's a bit easier to understand..."dual" as in two, as opposed to "duel" which is a one-on-one battle, usually with pistols. And it's "poll", not "pole". Don't worry...we knew what you meant. Next time.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < )

Behold. Helping Bunny on his way, one signiture at a time.

#2 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 01:29 PM

I don't find using dual pistols any more effective than using one well.

But, it sure looks cool. But looks mean nothing if you get whacked early on.

On the 'geddon video from (I think) 2004, there's a neat clip of one of the participants shooting dual NiteFinders on the run, flinging the spent pistols into the air, and drawing two more from his cargo pockets, firing them as he dropped into a slide. It sure looked neat on video, but I don't know if he even hit anything.

I usually play to win, not to look good, so it's usually a pistol as a sidearm, or just a pistol, for me.

-Piney-
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#3 Ryan201821

Ryan201821

Prince Edward

• Contributors
  • 1,892 posts
  • State:Illinois

Posted 13 May 2006 - 01:38 PM

Using one pistol is much easier. I am a pistol lover myself. It is much easier to reload, especially if you are on the run. My favorite pistol has to be the Nitefinder.

#4 The Shadow

The Shadow

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 01:57 PM

True enough as that is, dual-wielding or just having two guns in your pockets, is very efficient (obviously) but if you're using two guns of the same kind and you run out of ammo for one of them, you could just switch to the other. On the other hand it may be hard to reload, and it's definatly more weight, and you also have to get all the darts in the end. my suggestion is that you just keep two pistols (Maverick, NF, CF, Scout...) and use one and then the other.

Edited by The Shadow, 13 May 2006 - 01:58 PM.

I'm just concerned that NH could be held liable when Ted inevitably ties this kid up and sticks him in his trunk for safe keeping. Seriously, Parkway, you might want to think about carrying a tazer.

#5 TimberwolfCY

TimberwolfCY

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 03:27 PM

When I played indoor wars, I used to dual wield a lot. Cramped quarters+volume of fire=easy hits. Outdoors I don't think it's nearly as effective, because of the afforementioned priming issues. I've found it takes 3x longer to prime one of the pistols than it does if you single-wield, either because you have to holster and re-equip the gun, or because you have to play dart ballet as you struggle to reload. In the end, I think it comes down to personal style; if you're effective dual-wielding (something you'll only find out through trial and error, that is, playing for a decent amount of time dual-wielding) go with it, otherwise find another method. Dual wielding I think has lost a lot of its following because of the plethora of high capacity guns available now. From the PowerClip to the Maverick to the RF20; one simply doesn't need to dual-wield or shotgun their guns anymore to get a high volume of fire.
"Denial is the most predictable of all human responses. But, rest assured, this will be the sixth time we have destroyed it, and we have become exceedingly efficient at it." - The Architect, The Matrix: Reloaded

TimberwolfCY
of NH, NHQ, NO, NC

#6 flashflint

flashflint

• Members
  • 607 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 08:56 PM

Heres in interesting story. Me and my friends had a battle with 3 way free for all and evereyone had dual fireflys. It was pretty interesting. I wouldent recomend it for a normal battle though.

Edited by poo, 13 May 2006 - 08:57 PM.

#7 SG Pilot

SG Pilot

• Members
  • 281 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 09:06 PM

:)

DUEL HORNETS ALL THE WAY!

I used to hate Hornets because they always skipped shots. Then I found out why (sometimes the darts don't stay pushed back into the barrels). Now they are my favorite and when I duel weild with my two Hornets, they're a beast! It's a pain to prime them both, though. Really, it's all relative to what people think.
QUOTE(VACC @ Oct 9 2009, 04:45 AM) View Post

I know, I HATE toy guns that are made for little kids!

#8 Sage

Sage

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 10:06 PM

it all depends on what gun you're using; I generally don't dual weild due to the ST2k's shape, but I've done dual weilding with a NF and a 2k before, which worked pretty well. It looks cool to do, but t isn't too effective in most cases

Edited by Sage, 13 May 2006 - 10:08 PM.

Holder of the original Split-Tech 2k

"Headband" - as so named by OMC
"That One Guy in the Pineapple Shirt" -So aptly named by Baghead

#9 Paloose

Paloose

• Members
  • 143 posts
  • State:Michigan

Posted 14 May 2006 - 06:55 AM

:)
It's a pain to prime them both, though.

The Hornet has enough air to have another set of darts ready. When your done firing, just push the slide forwards, pump it like 10 more times, and reload.

#10 NinjZ

NinjZ

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 04:54 PM

I used to go dual SFs but Ive gotten into the habit of using one and holstering the other.

#11 LordoftheRing434

LordoftheRing434

• Members
  • 565 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 05:30 PM

Wielding dual-pistols irritates me. I like to see someone else doing it, but I personally don't go for it. It's more difficult for me to reload when I'm carrying 2 of them. I'm more of a "traditional" Nerfer: carry a primary and bring a sidearm with, and have a few stefans in a pocket.

I don't mean to bash dual-pistols. It looks badass in a war, and in many instances they can win the war. I'm just a finicky person when it comes to Nerf War armament. I take what I'm comfortable with.

~Rings
And when he gets to Heaven, to St. Peter he will tell, "One more soldier reporting sir, I've served my time in hell."

"I bluff it. I don't throw my weight around and say I know what I'm doing." ~ Mick Jagger

#12 warx

warx

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 01:47 PM

Dual pistols are useful because you have two seperate shots at your disposal that can be used discretionally. You can use the second shot to counter the dodge your first shot caused or other things of the nature.

So I guess I am all for the dual-wielding.
The perfect signature does not exsist.

#13 Raj Man

Raj Man

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 03:40 PM

In my opinion, dual wielding is only useful with the maverick. First of all, the gun has a slide and a hole in the back of the slide so that you can tie the slide to your wrist with string. Also, the gun has an auto advancing turret that has six shots. with 2 mavericks, you have a total of 12 shots! This allows you to cock both guns at once by flipping the guns down with your hands, AND lets you have 12 SHOTS! The maverick has "dual-wield" written all over it! It's designed for dual-wielding! Because of the gun's range, however, this setup is only useful for indoor wars.

Edited by Raj Man, 15 May 2006 - 03:41 PM.

"Asshats are people who get stupider every post/minute/hour/day. See, they have an ass for a hat, so every 24 hrs. their brain is replaced with more shit. That's at least how I took the definition of "asshat" to be."

-GeneralPrimeevil

#14 The Shadow

The Shadow

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 09:37 PM

agreed, mavericks are a excellent and efficient dual-combo, bad range but also able to make it better using some CPVC (theres a topic on it somewhere in NH).
I'm just concerned that NH could be held liable when Ted inevitably ties this kid up and sticks him in his trunk for safe keeping. Seriously, Parkway, you might want to think about carrying a tazer.

#15 Flaming Hilt

Flaming Hilt

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • State:Washington

Posted 16 May 2006 - 09:49 PM

Agreed. I was just going to mention tying the Maverick onto your belt. The auto-rotate is amazing for this. The problem is reloading. I suppose with a clip mod...

I've never tried it myself, but I played an indoor war with a friend doing it and he was pretty good at it. Then he tried to reload... and... got rushed... and... didn't have a sidearm.

Personally, it all depends on the guns you use. I may try that dual Maverick thing one day, but none of my guns have "Dual-Wield" written all over them as the Maverick does. If I find guns that will own when dual-weilded, I'll do it. But otherwise I just find it easier to have a main and a sidearm.
" Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Mr. Creedy. Beneath this mask there is an idea...
...and ideas are bulletproof. "
V

#16 The Shadow

The Shadow

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 09:51 PM

if u want to dual-wield, i suggest making holsters (if u need to know how i will post the information) and dual-wield a nitefinder and a maverick. i tried it and it works really well. especially cause the nitefinder a good sidearm and the maverick is basically a nitefinder cept bigger and 6 shots

#17 AnyaSeijin

AnyaSeijin

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 04:36 PM

I'm sorry for raising this topic back to life. But I seriously JUST saw it, and felt my opinion might mean something in it.

I don't find using dual pistols any more effective than using one well.

But, it sure looks cool. But looks mean nothing if you get whacked early on.

On the 'geddon video from (I think) 2004, there's a neat clip of one of the participants shooting dual NiteFinders on the run, flinging the spent pistols into the air, and drawing two more from his cargo pockets, firing them as he dropped into a slide. It sure looked neat on video, but I don't know if he even hit anything.

I usually play to win, not to look good, so it's usually a pistol as a sidearm, or just a pistol, for me.

-Piney-

That was me. Seriously. And I seriously shot both my targets; I did get shot, but that was the point, my teammates went for a flag capture.

Duel wielding can be freaking awesome, but more important is you MUST have the speed and agility for it. I started using pistols only about a year ago. I used to use long range-anything, but I'll never leave my pistols. Recently, at the last YANO, I figured out how to arrange the pistols in my hand, to quad-wield (Yes, someday, if we ever have pictures from another West Coast War, we'll try and put it on here. Its really not that hard.) Not only does it look cool, but having 2 shots in the air, ups my chances of hitting the person, and with the quad idea. I can choose from just one dart to 4.

The reason I came up with using duels. Is also the reason we (meaning me and Daniel) use 'Buckshot' -A load of 7 to 10 darts down the barrel of any long-barreled weapon. It doesn't take much away from the distance as you would think, and nearly impossible to dodge.

I also think that in order to 'duel' correctly. You need: at least 4 of that type, spring loaded weapons (NF, LNL), speed, at least four pockets, strong guns, agility, a good team.

4 of that type of gun // Because two in hand, and two loaded in two pockets
Spring Loaded Weapons // Because you need to reload quick
Speed // You'll see
Four Pockets // Ammo, and two pistols
Strong Guns // On that video WAS NOT the only time I've thrown my guns. You have to be able to switch quick.
Agility // In order to get in close enough to use pistols, you have to dodge everything, or sneak
Team // There is no way I could do what I've done without some sort of distraction/team angling/etc

One more thing. Most of your 'hits' will be H2H (thats right, Hand-2-hand). I'd say 25-30% of my kills are now H2H kills. I do this in order to conserve ammo, and take out more than one or two oppenents from behind. (This happened to Cx last YANO. I H2H'd him in the back with my pistol.)

In the end, I found Duels to be EXTREMELY effective. Ask anyone I've played with (Falcon, Sage, Cx, Spoon, etc.) they will agree that it can be a very effective combo.

PS. I use slightly modded NFs. All I have done with them is empty the inside air restrictors.

Edited by AnyaSeijin, 18 May 2006 - 04:38 PM.

#18 Falcon

Falcon

Velcro'd Beanpole

• Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 10:09 PM

Effective is an understatement.

Seijin owns.

Pure and simple. He owns with those things.

For reference footage, it wasn't a 'Geddon video. It's one of the old YANO videos. It also happens to be at the very end of the Armageddon 2006 Trailer I put together (conveniently linked in my signature, for those who are curious.)

Carrying dual pistols is, simply put, an inexpensive way to take yourself out there and take out a lot of people. You don't have to worry about long-range standoffs or anything, because you know your guns can't go that far. If you're facing somebody who out ranges you, either turn around and go pick a fight somewhere else, or rush their ass, and slide on your own when you get close enough. It drastically changes the shape of your shilhouette, allows your momentum to bring you ever closer to your opponent, and is difficult to be shot while doing if done right.

Seijin slides all over the place. In fact, at the end of the trailer, when he's already chucked his pistols and grabbed the next two, he slides in towards his last one or two opponents, and pops off a shot.

I'm no expert in using them (that's Seijin's job) but I can tell you easily that movement is EVERYTHING. If you can keep yourself moving, you can avoid being hit, and can basically slash straight through enemy groupings, tapping out opponents as you go. I've watched him run through groups of 3 or 4 people at a full on sprint, tapping everybody as he goes, and get to the other end of the field untouched. Which of course leads to a grab for the flag, etc.

The combo itself works extremely well. Just keep yourself moving at all times. Avoid standing still for any extended length of time. That makes you a target. If I can vouch for Seijin, he can do the same; don't stand still, and your chances of getting hit are far less. Isn't that right..? :wacko:

Have fun! Dual pistols is, quite honestly, one of the most fun combos to carry. It allows for the most mobility of anything, and leaves you open for more varied tactics and means of achieving what you want to. There's no feeling like rushing with twopistols in your hands, and coming out without a hit, but with more than two kills added to your record...
----------||||||||)
QUOTE(Ilývatar @ 0000) View Post
Of the theme that I have declared to you, I will now that ye make in harmony together a Great Music.

#19 SirTofu

SirTofu

• Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 10:55 PM

Dual pistols own, but only when you can fulfill one of 3 ways:
you have holsters
you have two ductaped to your xbow
or:
you have holsters ductaped to your xbow.
Nobody online Nerfs in the SE :(

#20 murakumo32

murakumo32

• Members
  • 419 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 11:57 PM

Off Topic: Falcon, that traileris bad-ass. More bad-ass than Mister Rogers in a giant robot battling a horde or alien invaders bent in killing Oprah. Where did you get the music?

On topic: Has anybody here done the Neo thing from the first Matrix movie? He had dozens of guns in his trwnch coat and straps. Sure it may not be good outside than it is inside, but you sure look cool reenacting the lobby scene...With asians...real asians...made in Taiwan.
Nerfing, now fortified with vitamin C!
-or-
100% Nerf, for 100% pwnage.

Nerf is a neutral weapons dealer. Anyone coughing up the dough can get armed.

and they're made of Foam... which makes them very Nerfy...

#21 Falcon

Falcon

Velcro'd Beanpole

• Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 10:14 AM

Murakumo, it sounds like you just described "The Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny"...

Look it up...Mr. Rogers, lol.

Anyway, thanks. The music is the original score from the Narnia Trailer Soundtrack. All of the different trailers made for the Narnia movie had soundtracks that were different mixes of that original score.

I'm planning on getting my dad or sister to come film for a day at Armageddon this summer, because i've already mixed and cut a soundtrack for the video that would be really badass, and would fit with the trailer and the overall theme of this year. It's based on the original Battle Score from the movie.

Anyway, back on topic, I must say, I disagree with SirTofu. You don't have to have holsters to make pistols work. Seijin carries 4 NF's in his hands, with two in pockets. Sometimes he has two in his hands, and two in his pockets. Sometimes, he just has two. Regardless, you don't need to have a place to put them that isn't already a part of you. Granted, you could argue that pockets are "holsters", but a person can effectively rock the dual pistols and not once actually put them in his/her pockets.

And putting dual pistols on an xbow defeats the purpose of dual-wielding spring pistols. It's a great combo (ask VACC) but it's not the same combo, and cannot be played in the same manner. Barrel tap kills can't be used as effectively, because you don't have two arms out with small pistols to tap easily with; you have a large two-handed weapon that tends to force its user to play at a distance.
----------||||||||)
QUOTE(Ilývatar @ 0000) View Post
Of the theme that I have declared to you, I will now that ye make in harmony together a Great Music.

#22 warx

warx

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 10:34 AM

Here's a quick question for Seijin:

During a war, do you find yourself hiding and sneaking around more than the average Nerfer?

I'm just curious; it seems like dual-wielding requires a large amount of stealthy manuevers in order to be totally effective. My choice for a primary has been somewhat difficult, and maybe further knowledge could make it a little easier.
The perfect signature does not exsist.

#23 SirTofu

SirTofu

• Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 10:39 AM

Murakumo, it sounds like you just described "The Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny"...

Look it up...Mr. Rogers, lol.

Anyway, thanks. The music is the original score from the Narnia Trailer Soundtrack. All of the different trailers made for the Narnia movie had soundtracks that were different mixes of that original score.

I'm planning on getting my dad or sister to come film for a day at Armageddon this summer, because i've already mixed and cut a soundtrack for the video that would be really badass, and would fit with the trailer and the overall theme of this year. It's based on the original Battle Score from the movie.

Anyway, back on topic, I must say, I disagree with SirTofu. You don't have to have holsters to make pistols work. Seijin carries 4 NF's in his hands, with two in pockets. Sometimes he has two in his hands, and two in his pockets. Sometimes, he just has two. Regardless, you don't need to have a place to put them that isn't already a part of you. Granted, you could argue that pockets are "holsters", but a person can effectively rock the dual pistols and not once actually put them in his/her pockets.

And putting dual pistols on an xbow defeats the purpose of dual-wielding spring pistols. It's a great combo (ask VACC) but it's not the same combo, and cannot be played in the same manner. Barrel tap kills can't be used as effectively, because you don't have two arms out with small pistols to tap easily with; you have a large two-handed weapon that tends to force its user to play at a distance.

im just saying, thats the way i use my dualies....
Im not disagreeing with seijin's method.
Nobody online Nerfs in the SE :(

#24 The Shadow

The Shadow

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 03:29 PM

personally since most of the guns I dual with, are easily wielded with one hand they don't have much range. i use it for offence because i feel its easier than losing with a BBB or Crossbow or a Titan etc. when you can just charge in and plug them with with full force, and a guranteed hit as well. Of course you can always mod your guns to shoot exteremely far so you can eat shit and run in close range, but if your lazy and don't want to just mod your gun, you won't really have a choice but to run in.

#25 Nero121

Nero121

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 04:01 PM

Seijin, don't you find it hard to dual weild with NF's? I tried once, but reload time was too frustrating. Do you have some trick(besides the other NF's in your pocket)?

Edited by Nero121, 01 June 2006 - 04:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users