Splitfire with Airtech 2k Turrets

47 replies to this topic

#26 Falcon

Falcon

Velcro'd Beanpole

• Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 05:36 PM

Great mod! If I had a splitfire, I would definately try this. However, I think you should put some kind of belt or something around the two turrets (when you're done), so that when you rotate the right one clockwise (or the left one counter- clockwise), both of them rotate.

It's been comsidered. However, that would require removing more of the shell to make room for the belt, and that would mean less structural support. It's fast enough how it is.

nerfer34, what do you mean? As in how did I get the barrels sturdy on the turret, or how did I get the turrets sturdy on the gun?

Either way, read through the write-up. It should be pretty black-and-white...
----------||||||||)
QUOTE(Ilùvatar @ 0000) View Post
Of the theme that I have declared to you, I will now that ye make in harmony together a Great Music.

#27 Falcon

Falcon

Velcro'd Beanpole

• Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 07:25 PM

Delays, delays...the world is FULL of delays...
Posted Image

Stick THAT in a pipe and schmoke it.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Ranges:

75-85' average
Most of them were more in the 80-85' range, but there were a few that didn't quite make it all the way out there.

I had one that hit 88' and one that landed at ~90', which is what my personal (normal) brassed Splitfire hits (on average) flat. So it's working just fine.

Damn it's ugly, but it's working just fine.

I can't shoot my own stefans out of it (as it was made using 9/16" brass, and they're smaller than that) so I used Sage's darts. They're his first batch, so the shots were (sometimes) inconsistent, but that is a dart issue, and for the most part, there weren't any problems. I had maybe 2 out of 16 shots (meaning I loaded & emptied it twice) that fishtailed. It was probably the same one dart, too.

Thus endeth the SplitTech 2k. Hope you've enjoyed your stay.

-Falcon

Edited by Falcon, 30 March 2006 - 07:28 PM.

----------||||||||)
Of the theme that I have declared to you, I will now that ye make in harmony together a Great Music.

#28 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 07:37 PM

If it's so ugly, why can't I stop looking at it? This might just convince me to finally mod my ST...

Damn. I say, Damn! Great job taking that concept and making it reality.

Edited by Carbon, 30 March 2006 - 07:38 PM.

Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#29 CustomSnake202

CustomSnake202

• Members
  • 506 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 08:19 PM

I love the appearence of the gun; the turrets look suprisingly good bulging out of the SF. If I remember correctly, the splitfire has pressure trigger that allows you to shoot one dart at a time if you want to. Having two long range shots with only having to prime the gun once seems like a very beautiful thing. Great job on the mod Falcon, its one of my favorite intergrations.

People on the Haven seem to be coming up with brilliant mods and inventions lately.

#30 J cobbers

J cobbers

• Members
  • 586 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 08:43 PM

Ugly! Ugly? Are you kidding? It's a clean job, and badass looking. Excellent job, you've made and excellent side arm into an excellent primary. Now go take your pretty piece of plastic and go shoot someone.

Don't forget to eat your meat based vegetable substitute children.

#31 sam

sam

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 10:06 PM

how much does it cost to get a splitfire these days? awesome mod.

#32 Sage

Sage

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 11:03 PM

I bought mine for $30, which seems to be the going rate as of late on eBay.
Holder of the original Split-Tech 2k

"Headband" - as so named by OMC
"That One Guy in the Pineapple Shirt" -So aptly named by Baghead

#33 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 11:08 PM

Great mod! The thing is ugly and could use some touch ups here and there but oh man awesome mod! One question though, how is the accuracy?
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#34 Falcon

Falcon

Velcro'd Beanpole

• Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 01:05 AM

How is the accuracy?

Ever fired a Splitfire before? Yeah, it's like that.

Just like that.

Except there's a sense of security that comes with not having to ramrod two darts down the barrels before you can do it again...

I'm glad you all like it. It's a real neat thing to look at...

I'm going to go out (this summer, at some point) and buy several more Splitfires. I'll be modding most of them like this, but with smaller brass/PETG that fits my personal darts so that it works with them accordingly. They're quickly becoming my favorite nerf gun, no question.

Believe me, I'd part with my Splitfire any day over my crossbow, PJ, but I still absolutely LOVE the Splitfire.

This addition to the Splitfire is neat and all, but I still prefer a standard modded Splitfire over this thing. My holstered SF is too valuable to do this too, but it should work out nicely as a Primary for someone who isn't used to hitting people on the other end of the Grid at Cullen Elementary...

I'm considering writing an article about them. How to use them in the most efficient manner (there's actually a specific method of firing SF's that works better than a stanadard method of shooting.) Yes, SF's actually have a technique to using them...

Honestly, I am of the opinion that SF's are the most well-balanced sidearms ever, and this one is now Sage's PRIMARY. Imagine THAT...

Edited by Falcon, 31 March 2006 - 05:19 PM.

----------||||||||)

#35 Rip32

Rip32

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 03:27 PM

Its nice to see that when you first made a thread about your SF idea, people thought you were out of your mind, and didn't think it would work. Now you proved them wrong, and definetly made it a lot nicer than I thought it would look. That thing looks beast, and even nicer now.
http://www.break.com...iencechild.html
Funniest video ever. This kid needs some serious help

#36 nerfer34

nerfer34

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 04:15 PM

Hey falcon same here, the Sf is my favorite gun. Its just like a NF but with 2 shots!! And plus the Sf gets even better range! Um but your mod can't increase the RPF by that much right? Because you still must pump, rotate barrels and then shoot. Don't get me wrong that mod is awesome, especially how you didn't lose much range.
In my opinion, that Sf would be a better primary than secondary Because
-unholsterable
-ppurpose of a secondaary is to get off a quick shot
-too big

I also have a question...How many pumps do you pump your SF?
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God Damn it Groove, you stole my kill.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->-OMC

#37 Falcon

Falcon

Velcro'd Beanpole

• Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 05:14 PM

In my opinion, that Sf would be a better primary than secondary Because
-unholsterable
-ppurpose of a secondaary is to get off a quick shot
-too big

Did I say that I was planning to use this as a Sidearm? Anywhere? If I did, then it was an accident...

8-10 pumps works best for me.

Um but your mod can't increase the RPF by that much right? Because you still must pump, rotate barrels and then shoot.

Which takes longer:
1) grabbing two darts, sticking them in the barrels, pushing them down with a ramrod, pumping, and shooting
-or-
2) turning two turrets, pumping and shooting

:huh: ?

Yeah. That's called an increase in the ROF...

It may not seem like it increases it by that much, but the fact is that you're basically holding two somewhat underpowered quad-barreled 2k's with one trigger in your hand. Your rate of fire is DRAMATICALLY improved.

Its nice to see that when you first made a thread about your SF idea, people thought you were out of your mind, and didn't think it would work. Now you proved them wrong, and definetly made it a lot nicer than I thought it would look. That thing looks beast, and even nicer now.

Thanks Rip. We try...

Edited by Falcon, 31 March 2006 - 05:15 PM.

----------||||||||)

#38 nerfer34

nerfer34

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 10:49 PM

Falcon- I use Petg so no need for ramrod. Actually sticking 2 darts in and rotating two barrels take about the same amount of time. PLUS you must load all 8 darts before the match. Don't get me wrong I love your mod, just statin' the facts.
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God Damn it Groove, you stole my kill.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->-OMC

#39 Falcon

Falcon

Velcro'd Beanpole

• Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 01:18 AM

You still have to blow the darts down (or your fit isn't really snug enough, generalyl speaking) and you still have to grab the darts out of your pocket or wherever. You can't hold an infinite # of darts in your hands...

I'd prefer to turn a turret, if a SF is all that I'm carrying...

Let's not make this into a debate. We've both stated our opinions. If anyone else wants to throw in their two cents, but unless someone asks, I'd prefer to drop the "whether it actually helps the SF's ROF or not" debate.

I like staying on people's good sides...

Anyway, thanks eveybody for all your input. I've just got one final question:

I've had a few people (on the HQ, mostly) asking "How much?"

How much would you pay if I were to put a few of these together this summer for selling to the NIC?

Thanks, all!
----------||||||||)

#40 nerfer34

nerfer34

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 08:48 AM

OK falcon.... Did you say you were selling these? Well if so then if I gave you my SF, would you turn it into something like that? For $. I have been trying to figure out some plans how to auto rotate the barrel assembly........

#41 Falcon

Falcon

Velcro'd Beanpole

• Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 09:54 PM

I highly doubt you will EVER have a way to make an auto-rotating assembly on it.

It's not made for that. Airtech 2000 turrets just won't do stuff like that. If you came up with something like that, you'd have people at your feet for a long time. Quadded 2k's with auto-rotating barrels...sheesh.

About the whole modding one for you thingy:

If you supply the $ for modding it, $ for shipping it back to you, a some of your stefans (meaning eight of your better ones so I know what I'm working with here; they will be returned) and whatever you choose for barrel material, sure I'll do it.

What sort of barrels do you use, first of all?

Edited by Falcon, 02 April 2006 - 09:55 PM.

----------||||||||)

#42 Falcon

Falcon

Velcro'd Beanpole

• Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 03:17 PM

You wanted clean?

Posted Image

You wanted straight barrels, straight turrets, and less hot gluey goop?

Posted Image

Meet the SplitTech 2000 ver. 2.0 (yes, this is a second one, not just the first one revised.)

I was planning to hold off for awhile, but couldn't resist...lol.

Edited by Falcon, 16 June 2006 - 12:51 PM.

----------||||||||)

#43 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 07:31 PM

Very nice. Very professional. I did want clean and you have delivered. Paint black everything that isn't green and you will have the sexiest SF I have ever seen. Very nice job!
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#44 baghead

baghead

Cheetos

• Members
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 07:40 PM

You wanted clean?

Meet the SplitTech 2000 ver. 2.0 (yes, this is a second one, not just the first one revised.)

Yeah, because I'm Fixing up the first one...

Don't call it a comeback, I never left.

#45 Sage

Sage

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 08:48 PM

You wanted clean?

Yeah, because I'm Fixing up the first one...

Ya, thanks again for doing that...
Holder of the original Split-Tech 2k

"Headband" - as so named by OMC
"That One Guy in the Pineapple Shirt" -So aptly named by Baghead

#46 Ryan201821

Ryan201821

Prince Edward

• Contributors
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 01:42 AM

Wow that is clean indeed. Very nice job. It looks so damn sexy. How much added weight is it with 8 barrels now?

EDIT: I just read earlier in the post and I would probably pay $15-20 just to do that mod. It's worth it.

Edited by Ryan201821, 15 June 2006 - 01:44 AM.

#47 Falcon

Falcon

Velcro'd Beanpole

• Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 02:03 PM

It is quite noticeably front-end heavy, but not to the point of making the gun harder to use. It really just adds some body to the gun itself...makes it feel a bit more substantial in your hand, less like a plastic toy and more like a significant piece of foam weaponry. All it takes is cupping your non-dominant hand underneath the pump handle of the gun, and all the weight is distributed enough so there's really no issue with holding the barrels up straight for extended periods. The weight is ther, but it's not enough to make working the gun in a combat situation a chore.

Now, just curious, why paint black all the stuff that isn't green? I mean, nothing against a black-green color scheme, but in the event this were ever painted, I'd prefer for the shell and maybe the added PVC couplers (which are cut elbows this time, rather than endcaps, which resulted in the curved, more sleek look) to be painted, and the turrets to remain orange for safety purposes...

I don't know. The black would look cool and all, but we're not big fans of black paint pretty much anywhere on the gun around here. Interesting thought, though.

And for all those interested, I just sealed a deal on two stock Splitfires which I will be doing this to. I'm keeping this one, but the next ones will probably be put up for grabs.

Edited by Falcon, 15 June 2006 - 02:14 PM.

----------||||||||)

#48 sasquatch

sasquatch

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 04:42 PM

God-damn, Falcon, that's a freaking nice gun. Can't wait to see that thing in action (it's really going to suck to be on the other end...)
I'm big and hairy, that's how you'll remember if you see me. My name's Sasquatch for a reason

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users