To begin with, you'll need (duh) a Splitfire, two airtech 2k turrets, their o-rings, and two at 2k valve air output tubes (the white tube that connects the valve to the turret on a 2k.) Along with this, you'll need one 3/4" PVC endcap (you'll see why later on...)
Then, of course, you'll need whatever barrel materials you prefer for quad-barreling an Airtech 2k. Enough for two turrets.
A dremel is also nearly necessity, but you might be able to manage with a few hand files and a saw.
Oh, and epoxy. That or plumber's goop. Hot glue alone won't cut it in a few spots on this thing...
On to the mod:
Strip both of your turrets for barrel replacement...
Then take this white piece from a 2k valve (make sure the o-ring is in the turret)
And hot glue it in place, one on each turret. It needs to be a permanent attachment, so epoxy/plumber's goop would be a good idea, but it's not completely necessary at this point.
Add whatever barrels you require for both turrets. I would suggest you keep it relatively light (all PETG would really be ideal; as you can see I didn't use brass for the full length of the barrels because the turrets become really heavy. Brass will work just fine, but PETG would be easier to work with and then use later on.)
Now, set aside the turrets and open up the Splitfire. Everyone's favorite part ('cuz it's so stinkin' easy...) Plug up the pump.
Cut the barrels off right here...
Now the plastic yellow X's are an easy fix. Take a pair of scissors/knife and cut out the X's. Don't worry about the yellow rings they were part of. Just get the X's out of the way.
Now for the tricky part...You need to seat the white AT 2k valve pipe in the SF's air output well where the X's were. You then need to mix some epoxy or get some plumber's goop ready and fill the space around the valve pipe to permanently attach it to the SF's air output. Watch through the barrel on the turret to make sure that no glue gets in the path of the air output.
It should look something like this:
Mine's really ugly. I've never really been one for turrets/pump guns anyway...I like my SF's straightforward and double-barreled. But whatever, I'm not using it anyway. It's sturdy, and it works.
You'll probably notice that this little skinny plastic piece from your 2k's is not exactly holding the turret up all that well. We'll be fixing that now. Find a nice place to set the guts of your SF while we work on the shell...
Which needs to be cut to look pretty much (or exactly, if yours is identical to mine) like this:
Now, make sure that your parts are all fitting into the right spots on the shell. The one divot cut into the shell near the middle is where the spring at the back of the turret goes. The shell should be cut off so that the back face of the base of the turret can be glued/epoxied/plumber's gooped to the shell. This will help aid you in your quest for a less flimsy assembly.
Now, for the final part of stage 1 (what I did today before I got tired...)
Cut your 3/4" PVC endcap directly in half. Clean off the cut edges with scissors or a knife, then dremel down the cut side of the closed end of each of them so that it will fit (closely; doesn't need to be perfect) the side of the SF's shell. These pieces will be glued to both sides of the SF over the turret spring to protect it,a nd they'll be placed so the open ends of the endcap will be flush with the rear face of the turret. This means (yep! More reinforcement!) you can hot glue/epoxy/plumber's goop (the latter two would be best here to make sure there is NO movement when trying to rotate the turret.)
It should look like this from behind the coupler, facing the base of the turret:
And like this from the side:
And like this from the front.
Tomorrow, I'll add the second turret assembly, cut the other half of the shell down, and range test this sucker. But air output from the barrels seems to be around the average output from my standard Splitfire. I'm expecting a slight reduction in range from typical SF ranges, due to the extra distance from air output to dart, but the exceedingly high rate of fire and uber sexy look will aid it, I suppose...
*whew* barely made the picture limit on that one...
Well, I guess I should be glad that the concept picture of this I drew in AutoCAD awhile back is actually being put to use. This will be Sage's primary. Again, I'll get the second half finished tomorrow or wednesday, sign my work, and get the completed custom SF up ASAP. Feel free to ask questions, etc. until then.
Yours in Foam,
Edited by Falcon, 28 March 2006 - 12:54 AM.