a continuing work in progress...

8 replies to this topic

#1 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 09:11 PM

After discovering that the homeades forum, with the exception of a few choice works by Boltsniper and some others, contained mostly ideas, dreams, and some other imagination candy, I figured it was time to post some pictures of our latest phase of the ongoing homemade quest.

We started with a couple of Hunter sprinkler valves, and I took one and gave one to my brother-in-law, and while I began to fashion my downsized potato cannon, he took on the shoulder-fired route, starting with something that resembled an M79 grenade launcher.

Well, my cannon took a place in my storage room, and my bro-in-law continued developing my nephew's blaster to shoot darts more efficiently, and further to boot.

He modified the Hunter valve by increasing the size of the air passage where the dump solenoid is, and exchanged the solenoid for a faster dumping valve, in this case a automotive shop air gun. This is pretty much elementary for those who make potato cannons like those seen on Spudtech.com.

Posted Image

Camera angle makes the airtank look curved, but it's straight.

The old M79 used to have a self-contained air tank in the shoulder stock, but it was exchanged for a reservoir served by an air tank constructed from 3" PVC, end caps, schrader valve for filling, and an OLD air compressor regulator. 90 psi in the tank yields 45-50 full power shots (10 psi in the gun).

Posted Image

At one end of the tank is the schrader fill valve, but on this end is an adapter leading to the compressor regulator, which really is the key to having multiple shots without the need to re-pump, or dumping the whole load in one honkin' shot. Pressure is set at 10 psi.

We could have used PVC for most of the secondary air delivery and the reservoir on the gun, but my bro-in-law thought that we'd be working with pressures around 100-150 psi, so we'd think to use cast fittings and pipes. We found that 10 psi is ideal and effective for Nerf sized darts, but he left the iron stuff there in case he decided to go with more power!

Posted Image

Here's a close up of the gun. The barrel is brass, about 16" long, and my bro-in-law found it on a dirt road on a quiet Hawaiian island he had been working on. The first thing that came to his mind was the homemade! It's extremely smoothbore, chrome plated on the outside, and required one simple adapter to attach it to the Hunter valve.

The reservoir is 3/4" metal pipe (again, thinking much higher pressures, and thinking safety), with a "T" fitting to adapt the air hose from the regulator to the gun. The gun is held, bazooka style, with the firing hand forward, and the second hand in back holding the hose and fitting. Quite comfortable, actually.

RANGES:

We took some stefans of differing sizes (lengths), and while we didn't do too much measured range testing (on my 400 foot driveway), this piece could consistently hit a coconut tree, 50 feet away from my pool, which is about 60 feet long. They left this with me, so I have it in my posession for some real range testing. I'll try to bump up the reservoir pressure up a bit, while respecting the 90 psi tank pressure so as not to endanger anyone (including me).

As for my homemade? Well, let's just say that I got bitten by the homemade bug again, and I'll get to work cutting up my old design. I have some new ideas, and I'll only say it'll need to be mounted on the back of my golf cart.

Oh, and I'll get back to work on the FAR. (Picked up a new Dremel instead of fixing my broken one.)

-Piney-
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#2 WratH

WratH

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 10:12 PM

Wow, that looks pretty killer. Some more psi and that would have crazy ranges. Good work, and good luck.
Death be not proud. Though some have called the mighty and dreadful... Thou art not so.

#3 The Infinite Shindig

The Infinite Shindig

Arma-what-now?

• Contributors
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 10:28 PM

After discovering that the homeades forum, with the exception of a few choice works by Boltsniper and some others, contained mostly ideas, dreams, and some other imagination candy, I figured it was time to post some pictures of our latest phase of the ongoing homemade quest.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Nice job on the homemade.
Shindig of the Lawn Chair Mafia

<a href="http://www.albinobla.../flash/posting" target="_blank">Posting and You</a>

#4 davidbowie

davidbowie

• Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 06:19 PM

I respect and admire your concern for safety, but 3" PVC is rated well over 200 psi, and 3/4" pvc is more like 450 psi.

While the gun itself looks pretty cool, it seems a bit small to be shoulder-fired. If you scaled it up to something more like a 1.5" barrel (flour bombs?), with a CO2 tank in the backpack, complete with palmer stabilizer, you could have a serious homemade going on!

Apart from that, you have an excellent gun on your hands.
Check out the all-new DBNerf. The source for all your DBNeeds.

#5 SKIZ

SKIZ

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 07:15 PM

I would agree with Pineapple, about how people just talk about their dreams and i admit i do. BUT hopefully this will make up for it.

(first time posting a picture so sorry if it doesnt work!!)

Posted Image

I cant take all the credit for this as its really just bolts FAR with a slight modification. I've only shot this thing once but unfortuantlly my air compressor has a problem and i got to replace something. I didnt range test it yet.

Its only one shot which is kinda stupid because i got a 7 round mag. It has to now "go under the knife" for some cosmetic surgery and i might start work on that today. I was thinking of putting Dr.Nerfs semi-auto valve in it so i can use the idea of the mag to my advantage and i might use a regulator so i can put 200psi in the air tank but only shoot about 20psi out. (stock nerfs cant really handle anything more.)

I use a soloniod at the moment and if you look close enough you might be able to see a little red button on the handle, Thats the trigger!! Im going to attach a little laser pointer on it and as i said NEEDS COSMETICS!!!!!!!! Thats all i can really say about it as it is basically bolts design.

IN CASE YOU SKIPPED ALL THE TEXT AND JUST SKIMED OVER READ THIS.

THIS IS BOLTS HOMEMADE FAR AND I TAKE NO CREDIT FOR THE DESIGN AS SUCH. THE ONLY PART THATS MINE IS THE TANK AND THE TRIGGER SYSTEM.

Edited by SKIZ, 07 December 2005 - 07:22 PM.

#6 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 07:32 PM

Wow...I make a comment about no one posting any homemades, and look at them come out of the woodwork! I'm proud of you guys, all of them are nice in their own special way. SKIZ, KirbySaysHi, Renegade (for the silencer R&D), props to you.

**RANGE TEST**, 1st try

I tried to range test the pack gun a bit, but a busy work schedule kept me from doing any "official" (with range markers on my long driveway) testing. So I decided to shoot a few rounds from my den balcony into the pool area and beyond, then measure up while working.

I shot several stefans, including some custom made ones, 3 inches long, with two #7 split shot sinkers in them. They were inconsistent, one setting the long range, and the other two spinning like helicopters. 2 inch stefans with one #7 shot were the best for overall range, and 2 inch stefans with 1 BB size split shot were shorter, but consistent.

Also, my balcony is on the second floor (25 feet up), so that adds some extra footage to the mix. But necessity called for an impromptu test.

Ranges were between 70 feet (short, light stefans), to a long of 220 feet (from my balcony to the beach) with the big stefan that didn't spin out. All were done with approximately 10 psi on the regulator. Distance measured with my measuring wheel.

I'll get the range markers out as soon as I can, but right now I'm dealing with a bout of adult chicken pox (also called shingles), which is causing my left arm and shoulder and back some excruciating pain. Kind of like a blood pressure test, except the cuff gets tighter and tighter until it feels like my arm is going to burst. Then it stays that way. I'm typing like a chicken with my right arm as I speak. I'll get to it as soon as I recover.

Davidbowie; it's funny you mentioned that, my brother-in-law laughed when I told him that I 'only' put 70-90 psi in the tank for testing...he pressure tested it at about 150 psi, and will keep it around there despite the fact that the 3" PVC is rated at 300 psi (our brand), keep it safe yet have lots of shots on tap.

More to come...

-Piney-

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>

#7 N00BTERMINATOR

N00BTERMINATOR

• Banned
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 12:09 AM

I made a sweet gun. I don't have any HOTT picz. I used by old cock pump, and taped some stefans to it.

#8 Starbuck

Starbuck

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 12:30 AM

I made a sweet gun.  I don't have any HOTT picz.  I used by old cock pump, and taped some stefans to it.

Your name says it all...

And I don't think I want to use a cock pump on my next gun, either.

Edited by Starbuck, 05 January 2006 - 12:32 AM.

Starbuck, The Noid,
Artemis Arms Armory

#9 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 12:55 AM

I made a sweet gun. I don't have any HOTT picz. I used by old cock pump, and taped some stefans to it.

That's great!

Y'all take care now.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users