Traps.

Anyone have any ideas?

51 replies to this topic

#26 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 10:16 PM

Everybody just needs to chill. The next post should be about traps and not verbal mud slinging.
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#27 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 10:24 PM

Shindig, your really not a very nice person at all. I hope you get hit by a truck.

Actually, you haven't been on these boards long, so I wouldn't expect you to have seen the actual nature of Shindig's attitude and personality here; here's actually very nice and easy on the newbs (you). Also, you do realize that you just insulted (or attempted to insult) and admin, right?

Oh, and lastly, Shindig wasn't even saying anything to you rude or insulting at all. You really need to learn the difference between an insult and what he posted.

I hope you get hit by a plane.
SexD Warves

#28 CaMbLaM

CaMbLaM

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 11:42 PM

For all new members who wish not to die a most painful death, follow this guide about Talio.

1. If Talio says it he means it, however harsh that may be.
2. If Talio flames your ass off don't do it back, there are enough deaths in the world we don't need more.
3. Don't lie to Talio, more to the point just don't lie.

I have a question for Shivon.
Who tipped you off?
Because in a game of assassin you don't normally tell people who your going to attack, you just do it.

#29 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 12:31 AM

Because in a game of assassin you don't normally tell people who your going to attack, you just do it.

Oh really? Let me tell you something. In my first game of Nerf Assassin my first two and almost three kills were paid tips I got from friends of theirs. Talking to the right people can save alot of time. On the other hand however, talking to too many people will result in either a failed attempt or your own demise. In a dedicated game of Assassin there is alot of planning/strategy and plan B's and more. It is enough to make your brain swell.
I know its bad,
After what we had,

#30 LastManAlive

LastManAlive

• Members
  • 686 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 04:14 PM

I say create an alarm system that your teamates (if you have any) will respond easily to so that you can get back-up fast. You also should store ammo and/or a gun there. For instance, a xbow in a high-up area with 50 rounds, an AT2K and a PC at a ground area with oh say, 100 to 150 rounds. And then, another place with maybe a RF20 and/or a set of pistols with dual shoulder holsters for a fast escape where you can pick it up easily with whatever darts you feel you need. I would make a bandolier and prepare to hurt and/or get hurt.

Edited by LastManAlive, 18 November 2005 - 04:15 PM.

He came, He saw, and he conquered... But where did everyone go?

#31 Shivon

Shivon

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 12:56 AM

Thats actually kinda funny, im getting on a plane, in like 4 hours. Oh, and sorry that i took the personal attack as a personal attack instead of just bending over for him.
Oh, and yeah, tips are fun, esp when we get them from the girls. Noone suspects them for some reason.
Insanity is only one persons perception of another persons reality

#32 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 02:11 PM

I really still wouldn't call it a personal attack, Shindig was just saying that he didn't believe you and it was a stupid stunt even if it was real. Frankly, I agree. You're too sensitive.
SexD Warves

#33 joeyaglr444

joeyaglr444

• Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 02:24 PM

The Mine me and a friend are working on a Nerf Mine Built on the principles of a preassure sensitive trigger though it need being very thin Can be used in out door combat and dug under sand and stuff. Anywho we thought it would be worked like this, The Mine is already pumped so has an airtank and ounce Triggered it will send 10 or 12 nerf rounds straight up at towards the victim.

I dont know yet how were gonna pull this off ideas would be helpful.
Boys Become Men....Men Become Wolves

Blaffair to Rememblack.

#34 Lukeinator

Lukeinator

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 03:22 PM

This gun, the Stinger, has a trigger that is more like a button. You could somehow place it upright if you were burrying it in the sand and create a sort of mini pressure pad. It would only be effective if you were to expand the trigger button a bit so it had a larger surface area for someone to step on. Then just use vinal tubing to make more barrels and point them up too. I know that it wouldn't work under a carpet because it's to big, but you could bury it in the sand. I know this makes almost no sense, but it does if the gun is in front of you.
Ride it like it's stolen.

#35 DTReaper

DTReaper

• Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 03:25 PM

How about the detonator that is like a mine. I think.

-DTR
QUOTE(VACC @ Dec 5 2008, 12:09 AM) View Post

That's it. I'm done. I'm sorry there are breasts on the Internet.

#36 SG Pilot

SG Pilot

• Members
  • 281 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 12:04 PM

All this stuff sounds very interesting. I can't have any nerf wars because no one I know around my place has any nerf guns and if they did, they'd say "Why would you use such baby toys?" When they aren't. Anyway, I'd like some more info on these assasin games. PM me if necessary.

I also own a little remote-control car that I attached a tiny wireless camera onto. I could patrol a whole floor of my house and see things like my cat entertaining herself by watching it race around the floor. It'd be good for scouting an area around your house looking for trouble. I don't know how you could attach a nerf gun on it and then fire it remotly, but it's still really cool to be driving the car while looking at my TV screen.

Edited by SG Pilot, 20 November 2005 - 12:13 PM.

QUOTE(VACC @ Oct 9 2009, 04:45 AM) View Post

I know, I HATE toy guns that are made for little kids!

#37 Shivon

Shivon

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 02:44 PM

Yeah, I probably am too sensitive. That is a good point. However, instead of bashing me, you could try constructive criticism, instead of saying "Whoa, Youre and idiot" You could try like, "Well while I dont think that was very smart you should've tried this instead"..ect...
Insanity is only one persons perception of another persons reality

#38 Crappy Nerfer

Crappy Nerfer

• Banned
  • 149 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 09:25 PM

I also own a little remote-control car that I attached a tiny wireless camera onto. I could patrol a whole floor of my house and see things like my cat entertaining herself...

LOL. Sorry but that was funny...
"If one notices a patch of gangrene in a wound on the back of one's hand, one does not simply hope that it gets better over time.

One cuts that shit off at the wrist and learns to masturbate lefty."

- Death

"By BC do you mean Boston College?"

- nerfer34

#39 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 09:51 PM

There is a landmine they sell at TRU. I forget the name of it but it has a pump that you stomp on to send an arrow flying. Mod that with stefan or shotgun Stefans and you got yourself a trap. Also for those who are interested in traps, look into finding a backlash and hook it up to a trip wire system.
Posted Image
I know its bad,
After what we had,

#40 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 10:38 PM

There is a legend that the First (or supposed first, but that's a story for your history prof. to tell) emporer of China set up a tomb with automated crossbows to shoot any intruders. The mound is still in China, and the Chinese refuse to open it for some ancestoral reason.

In any event, you could do something like that (Which Forsaken was just saying), rig up a couple of guns to take out people in strategic areas. Set something so that they walk up to your door and a BBB fires off and nails them...

Or you could stick with the Ninja books and Splinter Cell... "Are you going to say Monkey? No? Well, then this conversation is over."

#41 DX-Robert

DX-Robert

formerly DX

• Members
  • 679 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 10:54 PM

Honestly, the best trap is a hidden person holding a gun. I've never found traps effective whatsoever, a careful and experienced enemy should not fall for them. Especially in Nerf, if you are not playing a one hit kill game, traps will have no effect at all. Only the weak and inexperienced can be intimidated this way. Veteran enemies will press on. If you are playing some variation of an elimination game, one-on-one action will take out more people than traps will. A skilled fighter should rely on combat rather than stationary traps which cannot react to peoples' actions nor move to counter a bypass of their position.

United Nerf Ops - The premier northeast US nerf club serving the tristate area (NY, NJ, CT)
NYC Nerf Ops - Nerf in New York City itself
NJ Nerf Ops - Nerf in New Jersey
CT Nerf Ops - Nerf in Connecticut

UNO also has a Discord server, DM me on Discord to join (@vincentdrake)

-----------------------------------------------
My other groups:
Nerf Thrifters - A group for posting thrifts and other second-hand finds

#42 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 11:25 PM

A skilled fighter should rely on combat rather than stationary traps which cannot react to peoples' actions nor move to counter a bypass of their position.

A skilled assassin in an assassin based game will tap into any means necessary to get the job done. Also, a player who waits in the bushes is not a trap but more of a one man ambush. If you saw my post on the first page with the pictures, you would have seen a trap that is motion sensored that can hit moving target. These traps are pretty pointless in wars but in assassin games they can be key. For example, say you are on your own and there are two ways a target can walk home. One man can only cover one possibilty. I would feel somewhat more insured that I may get the target if he walked the other way home. Also if I am hiding in a bush and I have a blind spot where a player can sneak up on me and get me, I would rather set up a trap to cover my blind spot and then get in place so I feel more safe. These assassin games really hit hard on a players ability to think, but what if this happens. I like to have all aspects covered and if a trap can put my adrenaline fed beating heart to calm, than I will take whatever actions necessary.
I know its bad,
After what we had,

#43 euphemism

euphemism

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 11:32 PM

It isn't a trap but it's simple surviellance, convex mirrors. Stick them at corners and attach one to the end of a piece of gooseneck for checking around corners and whatnot. Sticking a mirror out in stead of your head can mean the difference between "life" and "death".

#44 DX-Robert

DX-Robert

formerly DX

• Members
  • 679 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 11:37 PM

If you can't cover the necessary routes, then yeah, a trap would be very useful. If I were on my own in an assassin-style game, I would always try to have my back against something. A wall, a tree, something to cover and protect one flank. Then you can watch the other three more easily. Also depends on where you fight: suburban, forested, etc. Traps may not be as effective in a forest as they would be in a building complex. There is no one right answer to this, there are times when traps will work, and times when they are a waste.

Edited by Duxburian, 22 November 2005 - 11:38 PM.

United Nerf Ops - The premier northeast US nerf club serving the tristate area (NY, NJ, CT)
NYC Nerf Ops - Nerf in New York City itself
NJ Nerf Ops - Nerf in New Jersey
CT Nerf Ops - Nerf in Connecticut

UNO also has a Discord server, DM me on Discord to join (@vincentdrake)

-----------------------------------------------
My other groups:
Nerf Thrifters - A group for posting thrifts and other second-hand finds

#45 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 03:01 PM

I'm pretty sure that no one is going to belive me on this, but I figure it's relevent.

I was playing an airsoft war in the woods once (I am really more of an airsoft guy... I like nerf because you don't need gogles and it doesn't dent the walls... and I can attempt to build them but I digress) and pretty much all my teammates had been killed. I was lying on the ground amongst some ferns, it was broad daylight, and all that I had on "special" was a camoflage cloak that was wrapped around me. 4 people stood less than 5 feet away and could not see me.

Of course, if I had waited I'm sure I could have taken them, but as it was I jumped up and shot one, only to be lit up. Patiance is key.

(And I know I misspelled something in there...)

#46 Lukeinator

Lukeinator

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 05:41 PM

I like nerf because you don't need gogles and it doesn't dent the walls...

Unless you're playing with stock guns, it's generally advisable to were goggles. Oh, and nerf guns do dent walls.
Ride it like it's stolen.

#47 SG Pilot

SG Pilot

• Members
  • 281 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 06:19 PM

The hotglue tips of the stefans I can definatly see denting the walls. I tend to use my guns inside, so I might have to make a different tip for my stefans if I ever do end up getting the stuff to make them.
QUOTE(VACC @ Oct 9 2009, 04:45 AM) View Post

I know, I HATE toy guns that are made for little kids!

#48 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 06:25 PM

Alright, alright, yes I'm using stock guns when I say that and as I've explained to NerfMonkey there is definitely more potential for nerf guns to cause more damgage. Since they use heavier projectiles, a nerf gun with equal range to an airsoft gun will probably do more damage. But that is digressing.

As for traps, you could rig up something to make someone think you were somewhere you weren't too; like making it so that the bushes rustle when someone walks by, even though you aren't in those bushes. Tripwires maybe. Or Scarecrows... Find old clothes and stuff 'em and give them a dummy gun. Combined with tripwires and possibly a firing mechanisim and you've got a confusing device (Like the effect is confusion, not like the divice is confusing).

#49 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 03:19 AM

Or Scarecrows... Find old clothes and stuff 'em and give them a dummy gun. Combined with tripwires and possibly a firing mechanisim and you've got a confusing device (Like the effect is confusion, not like the divice is confusing).

That is way too complex. By the time you have set that up a neighbour or parent or more importantly another assassin has spotted you. Just being realistic. Does anyone else have any ideas?
I know its bad,
After what we had,

#50 Sponge Nerfer

Sponge Nerfer

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 03:50 PM

[QUOTE]What about when that guy (can't remember his / her name) told us he got 300 yards from his ball valve gun.[QUOTE]

Speaking of ball valve guns, I just made one yesterday and it really worked out. I got like 100 feet from the thing and I think I might use it in my next war. However that idiot who thinks he could get you guys to belive that his got 300 yards is messed up.
When in doubt, make a huge nerf cannon of death.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users