Nirvana

62 replies to this topic

#26 Black Wrath

Black Wrath

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 07:28 PM

Nirvana sucked wang.

Thank you for summing up my feelings in three powerful words.

(I can't help but notice how short my posts are getting, as of late.)
Xx_Black-Wrath_xX of The Canadian Foam Militia

Not in the game anymore, but it was great while it lasted. Thanks for the great years of fun, NH!
--
Resident "Spawn of Talio"

#27 rawray7

rawray7

• Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 07:43 PM

What the fuck is Sonic Youth?

Sonic Youth started grunge. Nirvana listened to and tried to emulate Sonic Youth. While i won't say i completely dig everything SY did in the early nineties, I will say that they have evolved into a great band.
You, nerfboi, are the suckest gun. -neonerfer

#28 Chrysophylax

Chrysophylax

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 08:31 PM

What the fuck is Sonic Youth?

Sonic Youth started grunge. Nirvana listened to and tried to emulate Sonic Youth. While i won't say i completely dig everything SY did in the early nineties, I will say that they have evolved into a great band.

Ta-da!

What you guys are saying, minus rawray, is stupid. The Pumpkins are better? Are you kidding? Sonic Youth has more musical talent than joo. And the Pumpkins. And Nirvana. Sonic Youth produces songs with more musical talent than joo. And the Pumpkins. And Nirvana. Sonic Youth is more influential and beneficial to the music world than joo. And on, and on.

There you have it. Sonic Youth is better than you and Nirvana and the Pumpkins. And the Pixies, for that matter.
"I FUCKING BEG OF YOU! MY FUCKING BROTHER WOULD GET OFF!"

--Mraow

#29 Ash

Ash

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 08:42 PM

Ok, let me do a little catch-up here.

Ninjz - I still don't see any examples of these "opposite attitudes" and I'm somewhat curious to know what the hell you are referring to. I honestly think you have nothing. Prove me wrong.

IronRhino - Yes, they are one of the most overrated bands ever. However, I still enjoy most of their music. There are, however, bands that are overrated just about as much: Dave Matthews Band; Elvis Presley (not really a band); Linkin Park; Creed; Tool; I could go on, but the more bands I mention, the more people I insult, so I'll stop there. (side note: I do not dislike all above mention bands)

DJ Hurley - Nirvana does complain a bit, but I can't quite call it whiney because in my mind whiney = Fred Durst...

I think Sonic Youth is a pretty cool band... and I especially admire their independent approach to the industry.
Name's Ash, Housewares

#30 CheeseNerfer

CheeseNerfer

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 08:46 PM

Whoah it was merely a question, lets not get into quarreling (sp?) All the bands mentioned here are good, I prefer Nirvana to Sonic Youth, but Sonic Youth still kicks butt, also I don't understand why half of you hate the pumpkins, they are almost as cool as both of the bands mentioned above, also how many of you like STP, and no bashing!
"Ahh The Power Of Cheese"

#31 Chrysophylax

Chrysophylax

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 09:26 PM

There are, however, bands that are overrated just about as much: Dave Matthews Band; Elvis Presley (not really a band); Linkin Park; Creed; Tool;

Yes!

I detest Linkin Park with every inch of my body. Some fuckin' Filter rip-offs, them.

--Mraow

#32 Evil

Evil

Fucking Copout

• Members
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 09:53 PM

I just got the new Nirvana Box Set: With the lights out, and I absolutely love it, I hadn't listened to Nirvana for a long time but now I'm starting to remember how great they were. I was wondering how many people had heard of Nirvana and if they like them or if It's more of a Seattle thing?

Alice in Chains: More my style, personally..
2007 Great American GoreFest Champion (Aug. 4, Apoc)

#33 Fuse

Fuse

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 10:10 PM

Tool is fun to play, Ill give them that.

Sonic Youth has more musical talent than joo.

Agreed, which is why I'm not in a band and rarely play my guitar within earshot of people I don't know.
Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.

#34 Ash

Ash

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 04:18 PM

And still no response from Ninjz defending his crazy statements... what a suprise.
Name's Ash, Housewares

#35 Chrysophylax

Chrysophylax

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 04:41 PM

NinjZ must be talking about how he always said he hated MTV, and one time he said that they didn't play his videos enough.

What he doesn't realize is that Kurbain was extremely sarcastic. He was kidding, you stupid fuck.

--Mraow

#36 macman

macman

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 05:01 PM

STP is good stuff, I love AIC, and Linkin Park is the boy band of rock. My all-time favorite band is Metallica... but their old shit, not that new Load/Reload/St. Anger crap.
\m/-.-\m/

#37 Drano

Drano

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 05:25 PM

you guys can claim what ever you want about bands talents, or lack of it. but you cannot deny that bands like nirvana and linkin park and what not have played the scene and did it well enough to leave a permanent mark.

i never was too intrested in nirvana and I have never been to a linkin park concert, but i think those bands did a hell of a job immortalizing themselves in thier respective periods. in general the greatness of a band also acounts for thier successfulness in the business, not just that they were good musicians.

on a side note, it is because of kurt that shredding died. so for those of you who miss those penis waving guitar solos, thank kurt

Edited by Drano, 15 December 2004 - 05:36 PM.

#38 Dan Wask

Dan Wask

• Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 05:49 PM

Nirvana sucked. They always will. I hate them. All of their songs sound exactly the fucking same. Learn some fucking variety.
Look at me ! I can play 3-5 power cord variations while moaning and gargling over the only good part of the band Dave Grohl.
QUOTE (Arcanis @ Apr 9 2005, 12:02 AM)
When I insert a dick, nothing happens.

#39 xedice

xedice

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 06:18 PM

Nirvana shone in the lyrics and riffs department, not chord varieties. Their songs don't all sound the same either, unless you listened to the same song twice.

and Mr. CheeseNerfer, Nirvana wasn't just a seattle thing, it left a big mark in rock/alternative. Although now when I turn on the radio I want to beat the shit outta this new wave of whiney alternative bands singing about their girl problems.

Edited by xedice, 15 December 2004 - 08:01 PM.

Shmokin' weed, Shmokin' wizz
Doin' coke, drinkin' beers, Drinkin' beers beers beers
Rollin' fatties, Smokin' blunts
Who smokes the blunts? We smoke the blunts
-Jay

#40 duce

duce

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 06:50 PM

Nirvana is the best band ever to walk the face of the earth

*deep sigh*
Has everyone forgot Led Zeppelin?
"Thats so good it makes me want to kick my mom in the face." -Halfling

#41 last man standin

last man standin

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 07:26 PM

How could we forget the zepplin?i have four actual RECORDS of them, and they rocked.they just wernt that creative with their record title, i mean, c'mon, 1,2,3, and 4? teeheee...that was a horrible joke, forgive me, im just not funny.
Black Masks & Gasoline

#42 neonerfer

neonerfer

• Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 10:07 PM

In terms of musical talent Nirvana was horrible. I'm not saying they're a bad band, their live act, image, lyrics are an entirely different ordeal. They did, however, do one thing though and they did it very well -- they brought grunge to the mainstream. They didn't invent grunge or really even develop it much. Kurt's guitar playing is mediocre at best, even if his voice blends well with the instrument. They simplified and made poppier what Sonic Youth, Alice and Chains, and Green River had been doing the entire time. Now don't get me wrong they're not that bad. They're no where close to the best band, guitarist, or lyricist ever, but they're far from the worst. The reason that they were so popular is because the lyrics aren't profound or really deep but they're easy to understand and tell teenagers exactly what they want to hear. The music is simple and catchy but edgy and memorable so it was perfect for the mainstream. On their own, they're pretty good but compared to some of the other grunge bands (check out Mad Season and you'll catch my drift) and in comparison to their absurdly inflated image, they're shit.

On a side note, Cobain couldn't have shot himself with the amounts of heroin that he had in his body. When you have three times the maximum lethal dose for even a serious addict, you really can't fire a weapon too well.

http://www.cobaincase.com/

Edited by neonerfer, 15 December 2004 - 10:19 PM.

"Do not question that which is. Question that which will never be."

#43 Ash

Ash

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 11:33 PM

you guys can claim what ever you want about bands talents, or lack of it.  but you cannot deny that bands like nirvana and linkin park and what not have played the scene and did it well enough to leave a permanent mark. 

i never was too intrested in nirvana and I have never been to a linkin park concert, but i think those bands did a hell of a job immortalizing themselves in thier respective periods. in general the greatness of a band also acounts for thier successfulness in the business, not just that they were good musicians. 

on a side note,  it is because of kurt that  shredding died.  so for those of you who miss those penis waving guitar solos, thank kurt

Linkin Park has yet to leave a permanent mark on anything. They have two albums (plus a remix and mash album)... they could produce nothing but shit and become completely intolerable to the mass media from now on and in 10 years from now people won't know who the hell they are. I'm sorry, but they have done little to nothing for music (they haven't reinvented anything nor revolutionized anything) other than set some records for debut album and such here and there.

And shredding didn't die. If you think it did, your scope of music is far too limited. There are more than plenty bands still around that shred as well as bands that were into it at that same time period.

Dan Wask - Listen to Bleach.

Duce - What does Led Zeppelin have to do with anything?

Neonerfer - Not only that, my friend, but where were the bruises from shooting a shotgun in reverse? None on the toes or fingers... makes one wonder, doesn't it?

Ninjz - I'd like to continue pointing out the fact that Ninjz has absolutely nothing to back up his earlier statements. I'm sorry to keep picking on this, but I hate when people make arguments with out having any idea what they are talking about. Thank you, and goodnight.

Edited by Ash, 15 December 2004 - 11:35 PM.

Name's Ash, Housewares

#44 Chrysophylax

Chrysophylax

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 09:46 PM

How could we forget the zepplin?i have four actual RECORDS of them, and they rocked.they just wernt that creative with their record title, i mean, c'mon, 1,2,3, and 4? teeheee...that was a horrible joke, forgive me, im just not funny.

Are you fucking kidding me? :ph34r:

--Mraow

#45 Jin Kazama

Jin Kazama

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 01:23 PM

Nirvana kicked ass. I don't know why you guys are saying their overrated. Though I will admit they have whiney lyrics they still are the greatest alternative band of all time, and one of the best bands. The problem with Nirvana was Kurt's murder (YES MURDER). They were around for what 6 fucking years and they were that huge. Give me a break.
Webmaster of Ultima Nerf

#46 last man standin

last man standin

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 06:29 PM

Are you fucking kidding me? :D

Why would I be kidding you?
Black Masks & Gasoline

#47 Drano

Drano

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 07:21 PM

ash,

if it turns out that linkin park is short lived, so what ....

that really dosent matter. what matters is that linkin park got credit for blending generes. of course they didn't invent it, but they are the ones getting credit for it.
this kinda thing has happend before

you think 2 albums and shitty music makes a difference to whether you get your name in the books ?

how about a little band called Flock of Seagulls

or even worse, how about Devo

as for shredding,
take a look at what happend to it after nirvana. of course it diddnt die, but it sure isnt thriving.
my scope of music isnt limmited, but i am however limiting it to the relm of pop. since that really is the only thing that gets remembered about a time period. that and whats just under the surface.

the only shredding ive heard thats broken mainstream, is brownsound from sum41.

you could argue that kerry king and zack wylde are somewhat mainstream. in that case, i would agree. but they are still a ways from bieng household names.

dont think at all that i oppose shredding, but i just think its sad that some people spend half of thier life learning how, and now in the year 2004 the only people that
will listen is at the local guitar center.

(speaking of... where the fuck was i when gibson sued PRS ? why the hell am i learning about this just now???)

Edited by Drano, 17 December 2004 - 07:32 PM.

#48 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 07:30 PM

what matters is that linkin park got credit for blending generes.

Shift key. Use it.

So they blended "generes"?

Shit and loud?
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#49 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 08:12 PM

I really love to see these band arguements, because it's impossible to argue. Why you may ask? Because everyone has different opinions, preferences, and whatnot. You simply can't argue with eachother because you all have different preferences. The only thing that's going to come out of this is the band(s) that everyone hates. And that really doesn't do much good.

Go ahead and argue all you want, but chances are you aren't going to sway anyone's mind.

I mean, I listen to everything sans rap and country. I even have final-fantasy-fucking-piano, and many classical piano pieces. You aren't going to convince me that they're bad, so I fail to see why people argue over which bands are best.

The only people here I think make sense here are the ones that state their opinions, and that's all, because they realize there's no way they can really defend themselves.

Example: Nirvana sucks

(Not my personal opinion, but you get the idea)

~ompa

#50 Oroku Saki

Oroku Saki

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 08:35 PM

or even worse, how about Devo

I said a-whip it! Whip it good!

Funny, because I actually like a lot of 80's music (listening to A-ha's "Take on Me" as I write this post). My main genres of current listening consists mainly of Techno, video game music, and a little metal and alternative (Metallica, Manson, etc.)

When it comes to the best band, it's mainly the preference of the individual. The problem with some people's favorite bands is that many of them are only known for only one or two songs. *cough* (insert current overmarketed band here) *cough*

Nirvana was pretty good, and are definitely worth listening to. Just don't over-worship them, mmmkay?

So they blended "generes"?

Shit and loud?

Agreed. I am sick of listening to Linkin Park. They were okay at first, but they wore out their welcome in my book. Who the fuck would put out an album, and then re-release another album that is pretty much the same (except for remixes)? Obviously someone who is more cought up in money instead of art.

And don't get me started on Nickelback. Just listen to "How You Remind Me", and then play "Someday", and you get the same fucking melody. I can't wait until the mainstream music industry kill themselves from releasing shit music, so that people who care more about art instead of money can take over for once.

Edited by Oroku_Saki, 17 December 2004 - 08:53 PM.

"Do you like gladiator movies, Johnny?"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users