Joint youtube channel

we need more nerf videos!!!

52 replies to this topic

#26 Sam-underscore

Sam-underscore

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 02:55 PM

Will the modding/tutorial side of the channel focus more on stuff that is NIC worthy, Stefan firing, etc. or a hybrid of that and modded stock blasters?
I.e. Will it appeal more to more serious nerfers(Stefans, Homemades, hoppers) or serious nerfers and HvZer's and stock blaster modders?
You want Homemades? I make Homemades.
~le yootoob

#27 He Who Mods

He Who Mods

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 06:25 PM

It might be worth breaking up a channel into two - one focused on the modding/homemades aspect of Nerf, the other on the Nerfing itself.

There is a huge existing pool of videos that we could ask people to upload, especially if in every video we include a link in the description back to the original channel (making this channel a sort of hub where you can branch out). I'm not sure what sort of community tools Youtube has nowadays, but we would want to take advantage of those.

That is what I am planning to do, I think we will have at least one video a month highlighting a war and have interviews and footage from the war and on other weeks, the episode will focus on a topic. The ideas are still being worked out, but I think the tentative release date for the channel will be May 1.

If there were going to be an official NerfHaven channel, it would be created and managed by existing NerfHaven staff. Unless a staffmember comes forward and volunteers to devote some of their time to setting it up and creating/aggregating content, it's not going to happen. That being said, nothing is stopping any of you from starting a youtube channel and making more videos. Ordinarily, we don't allow someone to post on NerfHaven just to promote their youtube channel, but I think we could make an exception for a collaborative effort that focuses on nerf wars and quality how-to videos. The main reason we are so hard on people posting videos is because most are unedited flat recordings of someone talking directly to the camera 'reviewing' their newest swag. Occasionally you get an unedited shaky cell phone video of a nerf war, or an unedited head-mounted or gun-mounted go pro video.

If you really want to do something for the modified/homemade nerf community on youtube, take the time to record something worth watching. Sit out a couple of rounds, get in the middle of the action and record some good war footage. Then watch it and edit together the best parts. Or make a real how-to video where you show the viewer every step of the process, not just a video of the finished product with voice-over. The thing is that making good content is hard, and not a lot of people have the time or inclination to do it. If someone were willing to make real quality content, for the benefit of the community (not their own ego) and put the time in to do it right, I might even stick it on the main page.

If I still haven't talked you out of making your one channel to rule them all for the entire community, I would recommend that you find a way to aggregate other people's videos and channels together into a blog, instead of having several people share a youtube channel. Trying to get lots of people to contribute to a single youtube channel is hard, and creates a single point of failure. But pulling together the content that is already out there into a blog is easy. Once you've done that you have tagging, search, and an RSS feed. With an RSS feed, you can automatically repost to facebook and twitter. By that point you have plenty of alternative ways to 'subscribe'. If anyone is seriously interested in doing this, I can set up a wordpress blog at videos.nerfers.com and turn it over to whoever want to curate it.

Thank you for all the feedback. I wasn't trying to promote the channel or anything, I just wanted to get the idea out. I highly agree on your view on crappy, un-edited videos of noobs posting crappy blasters on youtube, which is one of the reasons I am creating this channel. I think what is going to happen is me, along with the other people running the channel will have the password to the channel and a dropbox account dedicated to the channel (if you or another moderator would like access to these, let me know). There will be a topic dedicated to the channels as well, where we can tell people what the topic is for that week and ask for high-quality videos that myself and the other editors would put together to make a full episode. The idea is that everyone can help participate, but there is still a high-quality, informative video that showcases wars, ideas, and helps you get to know other nerfers in the NIC. War footage is going to be a big part of the channel since there currently is a lack of good-quality footage on the internet. Since I obviously can't make it to every war, people can choose to film their wars and send them in to us so we can edit them together. This would also be cool because we could do interviews with people like the LGLF, or other big name nerf teams and veteran nerf squads or individual nerfers. Hopefully that clarified what I hope the channel can become so it doesn't seem like just another channel to show off people's swag or rule all the other nerf channels, but to collaborate to make a group video that gives many points of view and opinions. Thanks again.

Will the modding/tutorial side of the channel focus more on stuff that is NIC worthy, Stefan firing, etc. or a hybrid of that and modded stock blasters?
I.e. Will it appeal more to more serious nerfers(Stefans, Homemades, hoppers) or serious nerfers and HvZer's and stock blaster modders?

I hope to mainly focus on the NIC part of nerf over the HVZers, but I think it would be cool to occasionally incorporate some HVZ videos to help expand the horizons of nerf. Remember, this channel is focused on letting nerfers know what's happening in the NIC, help them become better nerfers, and promote the hobby to others.

Edited by He Who Mods, 23 March 2014 - 06:26 PM.

#28 Sam-underscore

Sam-underscore

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 06:33 PM

I hope to mainly focus on the NIC part of nerf over the HVZers, but I think it would be cool to occasionally incorporate some HVZ videos to help expand the horizons of nerf. Remember, this channel is focused on letting nerfers know what's happening in the NIC, help them become better nerfers, and promote the hobby to others.

I agree with that totally. Don't want it to be overrun with n00bs, but still want everyone to get at least something out of it, and so people who are introduced to nerf by the channel aren't intimidated and think "I have to have a rainbowpump or a +bow to be successful" or "there is no way I can make that"
~le yootoob

#29 Bchamp22795

Bchamp22795

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 06:38 PM

Youtube allows the channel to create "playlists" that makes it more friendly to viewers. I highly suggest the use of playlists if there is to be a large quantity of videos. I could see playlist titles including "Modification How-To", one "Homemade How-To", "War Footage", "Blaster overviews" (this could be modded/homemade blaster overviews, new nerf guns, old nerf guns, etc similar to Drac's review videos), "Darts", and any category that is necessary to keep a well organized list of videos. It is up to the channel moderator(s) to decide what videos to upload and what categories to make, but I think that if this channel is to maximize its potential with usefulness, then playlists will be very helpful.

One idea could be to separate videos with an HvZ target audience into their own playlist.

#30 He Who Mods

He Who Mods

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 06:47 PM

Youtube allows the channel to create "playlists" that makes it more friendly to viewers. I highly suggest the use of playlists if there is to be a large quantity of videos. I could see playlist titles including "Modification How-To", one "Homemade How-To", "War Footage", "Blaster overviews" (this could be modded/homemade blaster overviews, new nerf guns, old nerf guns, etc similar to Drac's review videos), "Darts", and any category that is necessary to keep a well organized list of videos. It is up to the channel moderator(s) to decide what videos to upload and what categories to make, but I think that if this channel is to maximize its potential with usefulness, then playlists will be very helpful.

One idea could be to separate videos with an HvZ target audience into their own playlist.

I totally agree, I am definitely going to make these playlists for ease of navigation.
EDIT: Whoops, I forgot P M was forbidden haha.

Edited by He Who Mods, 23 March 2014 - 06:49 PM.

#31 Boris99

Boris99

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:50 PM

I had a few ideas like"NIC Official" or "Nerf Tube" (super original lol) but if anyone can come up with a better name, feel free to comment it.

Why not just call the channel Nerf Haven?
I like apples!

#32 Steampunkzombie

Steampunkzombie

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:15 PM

ANYONE INTERESTED IN HELPING RUN THE CHANNEL PLEASE PM ME ASAP!
If you want to help, you need to meet these requirements:
be fairly good at editing
have more than a year-two years of experience
be responsible
stay active

Just because you aren't on the moderating squad doesn't mean you can't have your videos shown, so if you don't meet the requirements, don't message me. Thanks.

I sent you a PM.
My Youtube
My deviantART profile
Good things come to those who drink Pepsi
Your stupidity offends me

#33 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:20 PM

At least try using this guide to set up multiple users on one channel. https://support.goog...r/3046356?hl=en

You can poop in my toilet anytime champ.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#34 Griever 2112

Griever 2112

• Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:33 AM

I have a decent following now... I am more than willing to contribute stuff.

Griever 2112 still plays with his alpha trooper quite often despite owning one of the scariest +bows.

My Youtube Page

#35 He Who Mods

He Who Mods

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:10 PM

Why not just call the channel Nerf Haven?

Because it is not officially supported by nerfhaven.

I sent you a PM.

I got it, check your inbox.

At least try using this guide to set up multiple users on one channel. https://support.goog...r/3046356?hl=en

Wow thanks, that tutorial will make multiple leaders so much easier.

I have a decent following now... I am more than willing to contribute stuff.

Great, I have seen your videos and would appreciate all the help I could get.

#36 Alfatrooper

Alfatrooper

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 04:37 PM

P'M inbound. I have recorded two videos with high quality war footage filmed by my parents. I would be interested in making videos for the channel, or when I upload videos to my channel, sharing the video too both channels. I try to upload at least once a month or two with complete content. I would be interested in working on the channel by providing videos for the community.

See you on the field, Alfatrooper                                                                                             My YouTube

#37 proplus

proplus

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 05:51 PM

Wow, I would've never thought of something that ingenious, (no sarcasm intended).

It'd be best to structure a checklist such as:

The channel name,

the NIC modders loyal enough to the hobby, to keep it running.

the subject catagories, and news coverage,

the brocasting location, (if needed; multiple locations),

the channel, or network logo (to make it look official ).

The segments I'd like to see would be: upcoming wars, new porducts, mods of the week, rants,and modding materials.

It seems like a good idea as long as there is effort put into it.

My only concern is that it might tend to lean more towards general nerfing rather than modding itself and turn into another youtube version of Urban taggers, or my last dart, in which we have WAY too much of .
"the peinus itself is a handle"

- Kane the medeocre

#38 He Who Mods

He Who Mods

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:55 PM

Wow, I would've never thought of something that ingenious, (no sarcasm intended).

It'd be best to structure a checklist such as:

The channel name,

the NIC modders loyal enough to the hobby, to keep it running.

the subject catagories, and news coverage,

the brocasting location, (if needed; multiple locations),

the channel, or network logo (to make it look official ).

The segments I'd like to see would be: upcoming wars, new porducts, mods of the week, rants,and modding materials.

It seems like a good idea as long as there is effort put into it.

My only concern is that it might tend to lean more towards general nerfing rather than modding itself and turn into another youtube version of Urban taggers, or my last dart, in which we have WAY too much of .

Thanks proplus, I do not intend this to be a "My Last Dart" or "Urban Taggers" style channel, I hope it to focus on serious mods, wars, and interviews with big name nerfers. In fact, I made this idea to avoid the generic nerf review channel. The channel name will most likely be "The Nerf Collab" or "NIC official". I am working on artwork and am starting a new topic dedicated to the channel.

EDIT: If anyone has mad design skills or can make a cool logo, PM me with the design. A cool animated intro sequence would be nice too.

#39 Steampunkzombie

Steampunkzombie

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:57 PM

Thanks proplus, I do not intend this to be a "My Last Dart" or "Urban Taggers" style channel, I hope it to focus on serious mods, wars, and interviews with big name nerfers. In fact, I made this idea to avoid the generic nerf review channel. The channel name will most likely be "The Nerf Collab" or "NIC official". I am working on artwork and am starting a new topic dedicated to the channel.

EDIT: If anyone has mad design skills or can make a cool logo, PM me with the design. A cool animated intro sequence would be nice too.

I can make both.
My Youtube
My deviantART profile
Good things come to those who drink Pepsi
Your stupidity offends me

#40 He Who Mods

He Who Mods

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:09 PM

I can make both.

Great! Message me when you are done.

#41 Bobololo

Bobololo

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 01:42 AM

I haven't had anything to upload lately :( I want to upload things, but there's nothing to show nor update, sooooo...
I'm interested to see where this goes. With multiple people putting up videos, the only concern I have is upload overload. Don't become Machinima or other popular channels that upload 5-10 videos a day. It's really annoying.

#42 Aeromech

Aeromech

• Moderators
  • 434 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:59 PM

I haven't had anything to upload lately :( I want to upload things, but there's nothing to show nor update, sooooo...
I'm interested to see where this goes. With multiple people putting up videos, the only concern I have is upload overload. Don't become Machinima or other popular channels that upload 5-10 videos a day. It's really annoying.

Even if we pulled together most of the A list builders around here, there's no way in heaven we'd get that many uploads in a day, or in a week for that matter. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this seems more like it would be a once-per-week overview of the activities of builders at that point in time with a few extra goodies tossed in. Personally, I can only put in one, maybe two uploads per month with my schedule. This would be a nice way to keep people interested, and see new channels from Nerfers they otherwise wouldn't know about.

I am also a Youtube Nerfer. I would have no problem lending in some footage so long as credit was given. In this way both the conglomerate channel and my personal channel can grow from this. Even loaning war footage I would be OK with so long as the contributor got credit for it.
Watch my shitty videos

This is so ghetto but so awesome.

#43 He Who Mods

He Who Mods

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 10:22 PM

Even if we pulled together most of the A list builders around here, there's no way in heaven we'd get that many uploads in a day, or in a week for that matter. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this seems more like it would be a once-per-week overview of the activities of builders at that point in time with a few extra goodies tossed in. Personally, I can only put in one, maybe two uploads per month with my schedule. This would be a nice way to keep people interested, and see new channels from Nerfers they otherwise wouldn't know about.

I am also a Youtube Nerfer. I would have no problem lending in some footage so long as credit was given. In this way both the conglomerate channel and my personal channel can grow from this. Even loaning war footage I would be OK with so long as the contributor got credit for it.

Exactly, what you stated is what the channel will be. Don't worry, credit will be given with advertisement to subscribe too. I hope that this channel will not not get people into the hobby, but also show people other nerfers and give them more opportunities to grow.

#44 He Who Mods

He Who Mods

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 10:39 PM

Don't worry Bobo, we will only be doing one 10-20 minute episode eachweek depending on the topic. I also would love your help as a runner of the site if you can.

Edited by He Who Mods, 26 March 2014 - 10:39 PM.

#45 nine

nine

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:18 PM

I don't see that many videos going up weekly. Only one or two would be posted every week, with a priority on quality.

This is pretty much what I think the channel will be used for. I believe that it is important for both the community and individuals involved to grow through this channel, so appropriate credit and linkage will be given in each video. I look forward to seeing your content on the channel.

Don't worry Bobo, we will only be doing one 10-20 minute episode eachweek depending on the topic. I also would love your help as a runner of the site if you can.

I don't see a reason to put such a large time on the videos, but there is really no reason to put any constraints on the creativity of the excellent nerving community. No more than a couple videos would go up each week though, to make sure that nobody's content is buried by new videos.

Everyone hates engineers because they listen to what you say and then think about it.

Check out my YouTube!

#46 Kronos Nerf Mods

Kronos Nerf Mods

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 07:41 PM

Well I appear to be joining this conversation late. Guess that's what happens when you take a hiatus.
Anyways, I am definitely interested in this joint youtube channel. However, due to my ego-centric nature I would also want to run my own youtube channel like I am now, (albeit I don't upload much)
If you guys would be interested in a 3D printer segment, where I would show off custom parts I would be working on for projects I would be more than willing to do something like that when I have material available, and when I fix my current printer and or get my new one.

Also I'll be announcing this officially later, but the 3D Printed Wye project is going public, I'll go more in depth later, but the main reason is that I'm bored of wyes and I can't get the design to work effectively.

Edit: I would obviously be more than happy to promo the channel when it goes live. I have just passed around 400 subs, and I know it's not really that much, but I would like to help in any way I can.

Edited by Kronos Nerf Mods, 27 March 2014 - 07:45 PM.

Wyes may take a while...:

My Youtube Channel

#47 He Who Mods

He Who Mods

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 03:23 PM

Well I appear to be joining this conversation late. Guess that's what happens when you take a hiatus.
Anyways, I am definitely interested in this joint youtube channel. However, due to my ego-centric nature I would also want to run my own youtube channel like I am now, (albeit I don't upload much)
If you guys would be interested in a 3D printer segment, where I would show off custom parts I would be working on for projects I would be more than willing to do something like that when I have material available, and when I fix my current printer and or get my new one.

Also I'll be announcing this officially later, but the 3D Printed Wye project is going public, I'll go more in depth later, but the main reason is that I'm bored of wyes and I can't get the design to work effectively.

Edit: I would obviously be more than happy to promo the channel when it goes live. I have just passed around 400 subs, and I know it's not really that much, but I would like to help in any way I can.

Thanks a ton Kronos, I love your channel and would love your help. A 3D printing episode will come some time later in the future and I will contact you then.

#48 Boris99

Boris99

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 05:49 PM

What if this joint youtube channel were to just simply feature everything nerf? For example, if we had different people doing different things. There could be one person for reviews about new guns, a person for mod guides, a person for homemades,etc. We could even have videos every now and then stating online deals on nerf. Many of these things could be done by a single person so that the channel would not get too many moderators. As stated before, we only want three or four max.
I like apples!

#49 He Who Mods

He Who Mods

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 10:43 PM

What if this joint youtube channel were to just simply feature everything nerf? For example, if we had different people doing different things. There could be one person for reviews about new guns, a person for mod guides, a person for homemades,etc. We could even have videos every now and then stating online deals on nerf. Many of these things could be done by a single person so that the channel would not get too many moderators. As stated before, we only want three or four max.

That is exactly what is happening.

The tentative date for the first video will be Friday, May 2nd. The videos will come out every week and will feature a new topic each episode. The details are currently being worked out but once finished, a new topic will be started. Thanks for all of the support!

#50 Sam-underscore

Sam-underscore

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 11:27 PM

That is exactly what is happening.

The tentative date for the first video will be Friday, May 2nd. The videos will come out every week and will feature a new topic each episode. The details are currently being worked out but once finished, a new topic will be started. Thanks for all of the support!

I know you're running this and not me, but why put a bottleneck of one a week on it? I understand at least once a week, but you shouldn't limit it. When something good pops up just upload it! It's not TV where you have one day every week to show something
~le yootoob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users