Joint youtube channel

we need more nerf videos!!!

52 replies to this topic

#1 He Who Mods

He Who Mods

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 12:17 PM

If you have not noticed, the big names of the nerf youtube scene(Nerfomania, Bobololo, etc.) have been uploading much less frequently then before. I am not saying they don't want to upload, but their lives are getting busy and constant uploads isn't the easiest thing for them. Now I know that this site is not too concerned about the youtube world in general, but I think a joint channel with the collaboration between nerfers uploading cool things on the channel could greatly pull more people into the hobby. I know that the reason I started nerving was back in 2011 when my crossfire stopped working. I looked up how to fix a crossfire on youtube and hundreds of results showed I could not only fix my blaster, but make it shoot further!

The creation of this youtube channel would consist of weekly to bi-weekly, high-quality uploads that would showcase some of the best mods/homemades/write-ups on the site. It could either be run by the moderators, or a few people could maintain the channel and make sure it consistently uploads. It could feature different modders each week and do podcasts and interviews with big name nerfers and show tutorials and war footage from big wars like APOC and Grid Codes.

The main reason of this channel creation is to increase the interest in the hobby, showcase blasters, and let nerfers from everywhere know what is happening in a video/podcast format instead of a blog. If you are interested in being a part of this channel, please comment below sharing your ideas. I hope this can become a great way to let people see what is happening in the nerf world!

#2 Doom

Doom

NH's Official In-House Physicist

• Administrators
  • 559 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 12:53 PM

Interesting idea. I have some plans to make a NerfHaven YouTube channel for war footage, but no plans for YouTube beyond that. The administrators and moderators here at NerfHaven are already somewhat overextended, and they probably would not be able to do much more than upload a war video every once in a while.

With that being said, I think a group channel would be a good idea, and I encourage other Nerfers to collaborate like that.

#3 Slime

Slime

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 01:15 PM

I agree, and Coop has also retired which brought the youtube scene down a lot. I can try to find my footage from Massacre 7 to contribute :)

Edited by Slime, 22 March 2014 - 01:15 PM.

#4 nine

nine

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 01:24 PM

I'm kind of getting back into Nerf, and I would be interested in contributing to a collaborative YouTube channel every now and again. I feel like the community would benefit from some explanations of how blasters work and the like.

Everyone hates engineers because they listen to what you say and then think about it.

Check out my YouTube!

#5 Boris99

Boris99

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 01:27 PM

This is a great idea and if it were to gain a following, the world of Nerf would gain popularity. Although pod casts are extremely popular on YouTube right now, a Nerf-specific podcast would have little to no competition. Also, the idea of multiple people uploading on the channel is a good one. I have a YouTube channel and frequent uploads are next to impossible to do with only one person, but something like you are describing in my opinion is genius. I wish you luck in the YouTube world.
I like apples!

#6 Steampunkzombie

Steampunkzombie

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 01:35 PM

I already have a YouTube channel and I would love to contribute to a NerfHaven account too. If you need people to monitor it just PM me.
My Youtube
My deviantART profile
Good things come to those who drink Pepsi
Your stupidity offends me

#7 He Who Mods

He Who Mods

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 01:37 PM

Interesting idea. I have some plans to make a NerfHaven YouTube channel for war footage, but no plans for YouTube beyond that. The administrators and moderators here at NerfHaven are already somewhat overextended, and they probably would not be able to do much more than upload a war video every once in a while.

With that being said, I think a group channel would be a good idea, and I encourage other Nerfers to collaborate like that.

I figured it would be hard for the admins to do a youtube channel like that, but would appreciate the contribution of war footage.

I agree, and Coop has also retired which brought the youtube scene down a lot. I can try to find my footage from Massacre 7 to contribute :)

Great, it is really hard to find any decent footage from Massacre 7 and I am glad you want to contribute.

I'm kind of getting back into Nerf, and I would be interested in contributing to a collaborative YouTube channel every now and again. I feel like the community would benefit from some explanations of how blasters work and the like.

I agree, I love your channel and think we need some videos of that quality to benefit. It would also help reduce your stress of having to upload a video all the time if you only uploaded once a month or so on the joint channel.

This is a great idea and if it were to gain a following, the world of Nerf would gain popularity. Although pod casts are extremely popular on YouTube right now, a Nerf-specific podcast would have little to no competition. Also, the idea of multiple people uploading on the channel is a good one. I have a YouTube channel and frequent uploads are next to impossible to do with only one person, but something like you are describing in my opinion is genius. I wish you luck in the YouTube world.

Thanks for the support! I have seen some of your videos and would love to have another person helping out on the channel. I agree that this channel will really help nerfers who upload youtube videos, but have trouble getting frequent uploads because they are not the only contributer to the page.

Thanks for all the support guys! I will make sure to notify everyone once the channel is created. I think it would also be helpful to start another topic eventually where nerfers can plan the next episode and share video clips they want to show the nerf world.

#8 Nerfgirl36

Nerfgirl36

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 03:20 PM

I also have a youtube. Ive done like 15 videos, and uploding frequently is hard. I would also contribute.
- Nerfgirl36
Yeah I'm a girl....get used to it.

#9 Sam-underscore

Sam-underscore

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 04:00 PM

Even though no one really knows me I'm kind of interested. I only have 2 videos right now(both of which are pretty bad), but once I have more time and get better at making videos I might join up. Really just want to throw my name out there
You want Homemades? I make Homemades.
~le yootoob

#10 Gears

Gears

The boy who lived

• Members
  • 848 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 05:17 PM

I feel like a YouTube channel that showcased strictly war footage and maybe player showcasings is what the community is lacking. Blaster build tutorials and reviews are done to hell, and we should be prioritizing people playing nerf, and the people who play over anything else.

WoW is destroying my life.

-Groove out.

LAWN GNOME LIBERATION FRONT

#11 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 05:27 PM

The fact that the lack of new Nerf related videos on Youtube is viewed as a problem saddens me.
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#12 Spiderbite

Spiderbite

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 06:59 PM

I feel like a YouTube channel that showcased strictly war footage and maybe player showcasings is what the community is lacking. Blaster build tutorials and reviews are done to hell, and we should be prioritizing people playing nerf, and the people who play over anything else.

Really? I think besides Nom's in depth snapbow tutorial, there's almost no good homemade tutorials out there. I know when I started making homemades, I had no clue what I was doing. But this channel sounds like a good idea.

Or hell, Spiderbite has sweet deals on this stuff now, so there's really no reason not to Rainbow.

[k26] springs!

#13 He Who Mods

He Who Mods

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 07:18 PM

I also have a youtube. Ive done like 15 videos, and uploding frequently is hard. I would also contribute.

Great, anyone interested will have plenty of oppurtunities to contribute.

Even though no one really knows me I'm kind of interested. I only have 2 videos right now(both of which are pretty bad), but once I have more time and get better at making videos I might join up. Really just want to throw my name out there

Ok great, the more people ready to help the better. Keep working on your editing and quality of your videos, hopefully I will see you on the channel.

I agree, I do not think the channel will focus so much on modding guns as the people of the community and wars. I was hoping to maybe occasionally do videos like "A Day at a War with the LGLF" (hint hint), and show tips and tricks from veteran nerfers. On the other hand, I think it would be neat to feature a write-up or blaster a member posted in a high-quality review video explaining how the blaster works etc. so that non-members or random people on youtube can understand what nerf is all about and hopefully join the hobby.

The fact that the lack of new Nerf related videos on Youtube is viewed as a problem saddens me.

It always amazed me why so much of Nerfhaven was opposed to nerf videos. I can see why people like LordDraconical would be excluded, but I like watching a video tutorial or review of a blaster opposed to a write-up or picture. If there is any particular reason you oppose nerf videos, you don't have to support the channel, but otherwise, I was hoping you would showcase your missiles sometime.

Alright guys, I need some ideas on how the channel should work. I thought I might either have a community password so people could upload their own videos, but I didn't want people spamming the channel with bad-quality stuff. On the other hand, I could have a group of "channel leaders" (3-4 nerfers who like editing and are good at it) that could edit together clips that people post on a separate topic. This way, I have some help editing videos and we can keep the videos frequent. Any other suggestions?

#14 nerfbetter

nerfbetter

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 08:22 PM

I have a channel and plenty of mods that I would be willing to contribute I have a few that I have yet to make a video for because I am busy with school/sports but can probably get a video up once every now and then.

#15 cheerios

cheerios

• Members
  • 396 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 08:35 PM

Alright guys, I need some ideas on how the channel should work. I thought I might either have a community password so people could upload their own videos, but I didn't want people spamming the channel with bad-quality stuff. On the other hand, I could have a group of "channel leaders" (3-4 nerfers who like editing and are good at it) that could edit together clips that people post on a separate topic. This way, I have some help editing videos and we can keep the videos frequent. Any other suggestions?

A community password is a bad idea, anyone who wanted to troll the pge would be able to by deleting all of your content or spamming it with horrible content.

If you want a community feel you should start a dropbox account and invite people who want to contribute content. But keep it to a very small amount of people who have access to the Youtube account.

Your second idea sounds good, but people who are part of the core group should have a fair amount of free time to devote and be experienced with video editing to keep thing proffesional.
22:46- jakejagan :Ryan, did you hear that Zeke's BBBB made N9 bleed?
22:47- Zorn :BONUS

#16 nine

nine

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 08:50 PM

Well, I would have no problems contributing my videos or just editing war footage that people send to me. I probably won't be that active, but I think I could manage posting a video once a month to the channel.

Edit: Also, I think that having only a core group of people with full access to the channel would be for the best.

Edited by nine, 22 March 2014 - 08:51 PM.

Everyone hates engineers because they listen to what you say and then think about it.

Check out my YouTube!

#17 He Who Mods

He Who Mods

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 09:40 PM

A community password is a bad idea, anyone who wanted to troll the pge would be able to by deleting all of your content or spamming it with horrible content.

If you want a community feel you should start a dropbox account and invite people who want to contribute content. But keep it to a very small amount of people who have access to the Youtube account.

Your second idea sounds good, but people who are part of the core group should have a fair amount of free time to devote and be experienced with video editing to keep thing proffesional.

Yah, I figured I wouldn't use a community password for that reason, and so noobs couldn't post a crappy 240p video. Once I make a new email and youtube account ( which will happen in ~2-3 days), I will have a dropbox account up for anyone who wants to share their stuff. All the information on that will be on a new topic labeled appropriately after I have gathered my crew. I can help edit, since editing is one of my hobbies and I am fairly good at it, but do to business, I am going to need some more volunteers. Thanks for the advice!

#18 He Who Mods

He Who Mods

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 09:43 PM

Well, I would have no problems contributing my videos or just editing war footage that people send to me. I probably won't be that active, but I think I could manage posting a video once a month to the channel.

Edit: Also, I think that having only a core group of people with full access to the channel would be for the best.

Great, I PM's you about moderating/editing the channel.

EDIT to avoid double posting:

ANYONE INTERESTED IN HELPING RUN THE CHANNEL PLEASE PM ME ASAP!
If you want to help, you need to meet these requirements:
be fairly good at editing
have more than a year-two years of experience
be responsible
stay active

Just because you aren't on the moderating squad doesn't mean you can't have your videos shown, so if you don't meet the requirements, don't message me. Thanks.

Edited by He Who Mods, 22 March 2014 - 09:46 PM.

#19 Sam-underscore

Sam-underscore

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 09:47 PM

Have you decided on a channel name?
~le yootoob

#20 He Who Mods

He Who Mods

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 09:57 PM

I had a few ideas like"NIC Official" or "Nerf Tube" (super original lol) but if anyone can come up with a better name, feel free to comment it.

#21 nine

nine

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 03:09 AM

I had a few ideas like"NIC Official" or "Nerf Tube" (super original lol) but if anyone can come up with a better name, feel free to comment it.

What about the Nerf Internet Community Channel, or NICC for short. Seems like that would sum up what the channel is trying to achieve.

Check out my YouTube!

#22 Sam-underscore

Sam-underscore

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:22 AM

What about just "NerfHaven" or "NerfHaven Official". I'm just wondering if other sectors of the NIC will be mad if we use that, but I'm fine with any of those really
~le yootoob

#23 Boris99

Boris99

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:44 AM

I agree, a good idea is having people submit videos and have the people who run the channel choose a few each week. They could then be uploaded to the channel along side things like pod casts and war videos.
I like apples!

#24 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:13 AM

It might be worth breaking up a channel into two - one focused on the modding/homemades aspect of Nerf, the other on the Nerfing itself.

There is a huge existing pool of videos that we could ask people to upload, especially if in every video we include a link in the description back to the original channel (making this channel a sort of hub where you can branch out). I'm not sure what sort of community tools Youtube has nowadays, but we would want to take advantage of those.

#25 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:46 AM

If there were going to be an official NerfHaven channel, it would be created and managed by existing NerfHaven staff. Unless a staffmember comes forward and volunteers to devote some of their time to setting it up and creating/aggregating content, it's not going to happen. That being said, nothing is stopping any of you from starting a youtube channel and making more videos. Ordinarily, we don't allow someone to post on NerfHaven just to promote their youtube channel, but I think we could make an exception for a collaborative effort that focuses on nerf wars and quality how-to videos. The main reason we are so hard on people posting videos is because most are unedited flat recordings of someone talking directly to the camera 'reviewing' their newest swag. Occasionally you get an unedited shaky cell phone video of a nerf war, or an unedited head-mounted or gun-mounted go pro video.

If you really want to do something for the modified/homemade nerf community on youtube, take the time to record something worth watching. Sit out a couple of rounds, get in the middle of the action and record some good war footage. Then watch it and edit together the best parts. Or make a real how-to video where you show the viewer every step of the process, not just a video of the finished product with voice-over. The thing is that making good content is hard, and not a lot of people have the time or inclination to do it. If someone were willing to make real quality content, for the benefit of the community (not their own ego) and put the time in to do it right, I might even stick it on the main page.

If I still haven't talked you out of making your one channel to rule them all for the entire community, I would recommend that you find a way to aggregate other people's videos and channels together into a blog, instead of having several people share a youtube channel. Trying to get lots of people to contribute to a single youtube channel is hard, and creates a single point of failure. But pulling together the content that is already out there into a blog is easy. Once you've done that you have tagging, search, and an RSS feed. With an RSS feed, you can automatically repost to facebook and twitter. By that point you have plenty of alternative ways to 'subscribe'. If anyone is seriously interested in doing this, I can set up a wordpress blog at videos.nerfers.com and turn it over to whoever want to curate it.

You can poop in my toilet anytime champ.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users