More Love From Hasrbo

Pictures of the new Line!

185 replies to this topic

#76 nerfspecialforces

nerfspecialforces

• Members
  • 443 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 12:46 PM

I even thimk I'll enjoy the grip on the Titan.
QUOTE(Arcanis @ Apr 8 2005, 05:02 PM)
When I insert a dick, nothing happens.

Call me NSF
N erf
S pecial
F orces

#77 Peacemaker

Peacemaker

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 02:04 PM

OK, I gotta ask this...

In between all the requisite drooling, has anyone looked closely at the barrel tip of the Scout/N-3? And if so, has anyone else been curious about those strange little "T" shaped indentions on the sides of the short little orange barrel? They don't appear to be punched all the way through, so the possibility that they are some sort of air restriction feature seems unlikely. I don't want to stir unfounded rumors, but it almost looks as if they are designed to have something clipped into them...

Any thoughts or theroies, or should we just consider them a purely aesthetic design feature and nothing more?

#78 CustomSnake202

CustomSnake202

• Members
  • 506 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 02:24 PM

I also noticed that. It would be so cool if those indentations could accept future nerf "silencers". Well, it can only get better!

#79 Avatar of WoeBrian

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 03:29 PM

Hey silencers would be nice so other nerfers don't know where the fuck the darts are coming from and be confused :wacko: :blink: :huh: .
:lol:

#80 Ironman

Ironman

• Members
  • 448 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 04:35 PM

Nice Shit. I can't wait for these to come out :wacko: Is hornet auto and what darts do shoot?

Edited by Ironman, 23 June 2004 - 04:41 PM.

Die with honor...Fight with pride...
Aim toward your goals...Quicken your stride...
With great power comes great responsibility.

#81 THIRST

THIRST

• Members
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 06:23 PM

What's wrong with:

Scout
Hornet
Titan

Nothing. If you guys dont want to call them n#, then dont, I wont, Im just aware of the lazy people out there who would rather type 2 letters/numbers...I see alot of people out there who need to relax, its just a name, and just a suggestion, though not a very popular one.

THIRST

Edited by THIRST, 23 June 2004 - 06:23 PM.

ko

#82 taita cakes

taita cakes

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 01:50 AM

Hey silencers would be nice so other nerfers don't know where the fuck the darts are coming from and be confused

Just search, there are a few designs out there.
The main, memorable one is just a screw on attachment that has multiple holes drilled in it and is covered in a thick layer of high density foam. The exact physics [or whatever] of it all is pretty simple, but i'm not sure about the success of it . . . maybe experiment a bit on it all.

Sounds promising, hope to gawd we get some new guns over here in Australia :mellow:
Oh Kentucky, you are so fuggin awesome...

#83 Peacemaker

Peacemaker

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 07:21 AM

What could be attached on the end of the Scout barrel? Maybe a silencer, maybe a barrel extension, maybe something... completely different (queue up the Python theme).

Here's a silly question... what good would a silencer at the end of the barrel of a Nerf gun be? I can see the use of silencers on real guns. When the bullet is discharged, the explosive force of that discharge has to escape somewhere, and it escapes from the end of the barrel. So a device attached to the end of the barrel that muffles the sound of this small escaping explosion makes sense. However, on a Nerf gun, the mechanics are different. When shooting a spring gun (like a LnL or a NF or a Max Shot... and presumably a Scout), the sound created comes from the spring being sprung and the plunger being thrown forward in its tube, all of which happens in the center of the gun, not the end of the barrel. And given that the casing on Nerf guns is nothing but a thin plastic shell, there's nothing there to muffle or mitigate the sound that this action creates. So I don't see how attaching a silencer on the end of a Nerf gun barrel would serve any real purpose (except to make it look cool). It would seem to me the only way to “silencer” a spring gun would be to wrap some kind of foam or padding around the body of the gun.

Admittedly, I've never tried to silence any of my guns, so I'm speaking purely from the theoretical depths of my own deranged mind. In hindsight, maybe a barrel-mounted silencer would be a workable idea on an air gun (where the pressurized air escapes the barrel much like the explosive discharge of a bullet on a real gun). Is there anybody out there who actually uses/used a Nerf silencer that actually silenced the gun?

#84 xedice

xedice

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 09:58 AM

The best and only really good way to silence a spring gun is to put foam padding where the plunger hits the end of the air cylinder. That will stop the spring ringing most notably found on NFs. Silencers on a nerf gun don't work for shit. They are just extra effort, extra weight, and extra dorkiness. For an airjet gun just drill holes at the end of the barrel so the air doesn't pop out.

Im looking forward to the scout, but thats about all. Mainly just for the cosmetics.

Edited by xedice, 24 June 2004 - 09:59 AM.

Shmokin' weed, Shmokin' wizz
Doin' coke, drinkin' beers, Drinkin' beers beers beers
Rollin' fatties, Smokin' blunts
Who smokes the blunts? We smoke the blunts
-Jay

#85 reversedracula

reversedracula

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 10:20 AM

I know a way to keep a spring gun quiet. It's called an air-restrictor. Nerf is kind enough to put these silencers in nite finders for us. Hehe... TWANG!
NERF OR NOTHIGN!11!eleven!!!one!!!one!11!!!!onhoundredandeleven!!!!!

#86 Formerly Sane

Formerly Sane

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 10:51 AM

I don't really think silencers are very useful. If you're nerfing most likely you won't need to conceal your location as you'll be right in the face of your opponent. Plus air guns are almost silent already.

I'm kind of wondering, do hornet and scout use Micros or megas? And I'm still concerned about the size of the plunger tube on the scout. Think about it, if the gun does cock like an sm250 or at1000 then the plunger tube can only be half the length of the gun minus the barrel. I'm still excited about this line though, finally we have nerf actually integrating in stock blasters. Who knows what could be next.
NERF: www.CYCLONENERF.netfirms.com
FLASH: www.thinkhappy.netfirms.com
BAND: www.skwalrock.com

#87 Ironman

Ironman

• Members
  • 448 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 11:58 AM

No they are not because all they are really is looks. If they really do work then I might use one because I have wars in the dark.

#88 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 12:10 PM

Since silencers keep coming up, I thought it would be worth pointing out that we discovered them to be illegal if detachable. To stay on the good side of the law (in the US) you'll want to make any silencer an integral part of a homemade and avoid them altogether on nerf mods.

The law specifies that any device which could be attached to a firearm and could reduce the noise from said firearm, is illegal.

They do somewhat reduce the 'pop' noise made by pump guns.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#89 TheHaze

TheHaze

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 12:27 PM

The law specifies that any device which could be attached to a firearm and could reduce the noise from said firearm, is illegal.

True, True. My friend was very ticked off when he found out he couldn't use his paintball silencer. I mean, we are allready running around in public areas shooting things at eachother, my advice would be to break as few laws as posible while doing so.

~THE HAZE~
When you die, if you get a choice between going to regular heaven or pie heaven, choose pie heaven. It might be a trick, but if it's not, mmmmmmm, boy

#90 Ironman

Ironman

• Members
  • 448 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 12:29 PM

Since silencers keep coming up, I thought it would be worth pointing out that we discovered them to be illegal if detachable. To stay on the good side of the law (in the US) you'll want to make any silencer an integral part of a homemade and avoid them altogether on nerf mods.

They do somewhat reduce the 'pop' noise made by pump guns.

I never knew that but would the law really hit nerf guns?

#91 TheHaze

TheHaze

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 12:32 PM

I'm sure you would get a warning but a nerf gun can still cause pain, and it being silenced gives it a higher chance of hurting someone (because they wouldnt know you are there, i guess) it's kinda sucks, but makes sence. If gun shots are going off, I want to know about it.
When you die, if you get a choice between going to regular heaven or pie heaven, choose pie heaven. It might be a trick, but if it's not, mmmmmmm, boy

#92 Ironman

Ironman

• Members
  • 448 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 12:34 PM

I'm sure you would get a warning but a nerf gun can still cause pain, and it being silenced gives it a higher chance of hurting someone (because they wouldnt know you are there, i guess) it's kinda sucks, but makes sence. If gun shots are going off, I want to know about it.

Okay, I understand now.

#93 reversedracula

reversedracula

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 01:20 PM

"The law specifies that any device which could be attached to a firearm and could reduce the noise from said firearm, is illegal."

Conclusion: Sticky earplugs could land you in prison.

#94 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 01:26 PM

Earplugs just make it so that you can't hear. Doesn't lower the sound of the gun. However, is it the gun itself making the noise, or is the powder/air inside the gun rushing through the system making the noise? ^_^

~ompa

#95 reversedracula

reversedracula

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 01:35 PM

I made a bad joke. If you're using sticky earplugs, you have worse things to worry about than breaking laws.

#96 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 01:49 PM

I know it was a joke... Sorry, I just HAD to do it though ^_^ . Sticky earplugs? I'm awaiting Zero's armor-piercing round! ^_^

~ompa

#97 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 02:04 PM

Ironman: it has nothing to do with nerf.

A detachable nerf silencer could be removed and placed on a real firearm. Therefore it runs afowl of the somewhat poorly written law designed to make firearm silencers illegal. The fact that it would probably do jack shit to reduce the noise of a real gun doesn't matter.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#98 THIRST

THIRST

• Members
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 03:12 PM

Why a silencer, thats up there with nerf guns shooting 600 feet, and nerf grenades. Well, even worse than both of those...The entire point of nerf is to get right in your opponents face and fill'em with foam. What would you accomplish with a silencer? Im gonna sit here luaghing until one of you give me a good answer. Until then,

THIRST
ko

#99 Vintage

Vintage

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 04:23 PM

On another note: Talio, do we know the actual dimensions of the guns? It's kinda hard to judge the actual size of these weapons, unless there was a nitefinder or something in the pictures. I am just worried that the scout might be even smaller than the nitefinder.

My reasoning was this: When all those guns are connected together, Hasbro still wants a 7-yr-old to be able to shoot it. That would be pretty hard if the guns were as big as they appear in the pics. Maybe I am wrong, and the Titan will be a massive gun, but Hasbro seems to cater more to the younger players.

Also, the "foot pump" on the Titan might be marketed as such just because little 7-yr-olds would have to use their feet to pump it. As long as the pump isn't that long, I don't think I would have trouble just holding the stock in one hand and pumping it. But then again, the longer the pump is, the less times you have to pump it, the higher the ROF.

~Vintage
You can get much further with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone
~Al Capone

#100 Katachi

Katachi

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 05:13 PM

On another note: Talio, do we know the actual dimensions of the guns? It's kinda hard to judge the actual size of these weapons, unless there was a nitefinder or something in the pictures. I am just worried that the scout might be even smaller than the nitefinder.

My reasoning was this: When all those guns are connected together, Hasbro still wants a 7-yr-old to be able to shoot it. That would be pretty hard if the guns were as big as they appear in the pics. Maybe I am wrong, and the Titan will be a massive gun, but Hasbro seems to cater more to the younger players.

Also, the "foot pump" on the Titan might be marketed as such just because little 7-yr-olds would have to use their feet to pump it. As long as the pump isn't that long, I don't think I would have trouble just holding the stock in one hand and pumping it. But then again, the longer the pump is, the less times you have to pump it, the higher the ROF.

~Vintage

Here's why I'm not too worried:
http://www.realistic..._30in_m16_3.jpg
10 year old with a 30 inch toy gun. It's been done before, maybe the nerf engineers will figure out that 10 year olds can handle bigger guns.
"If I want something pretty, Ill paint a picuture. Courtesy of Shortshit" -THIRST

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users