Maverick Double Turret Mod

13 replies to this topic

#1 hamoidar

hamoidar

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 05:09 PM

Posted Image
In this mod guide, I will show you how to make the Nerf Maverick hold twelve darts. You will need two mavericks to complete this mod, the body and turret from one, and only the turret from the other. This mod uses easily obtained parts; all of wich can be found at lowes or Home depot.

You will need the following: Hot glue or epoxy, 1/4" diameter fiberglass rod, and 1/8" thick plexiglass or polycorbonate. Tools: Dremal tool with a sanding drum and a cut-off wheel for plastic, a drill with a 1/4 inch drill bit, and a hot glue gun.(I prefer using the Dremal 300, since it's low speed capability is good for cutting plastic)
First off, cut a piece of plexiglass that is 2 and 3/4 inches by 2 inches. Then, cut another piece 3 inches by 2 inches. Finnaly cut the last piece 3 inches long and 1 and 1/4 inches wide. Now cut a 7 inch length of fiberglass rod. Take the first piece of plaxiglass you cut and drill a 1/4 inch hole 1 and 3/8 inches from the top, directly in the center. In the second piece drill a 1/4 inch hole 1 and 1/2 inches from the top, also in the center. It is helpful to widen these holes to about 1/2" to give you some wiggle room, just in case you made a wrong cut somewhere.
Posted Image
In the last piece of plexiglass, dill a 1/4 inch hole 1 inch from the top. Set all this aside for now.
Posted Image
Take the turrets from both guns and remove the back of both. Unscrew the grey piece from the back and pull the front grey piece off the metal bar. Dremel off all the ridges from all the grey peices so that they look like this:Posted Image
Posted Image
Also Dremal the top of the rear grey peices so that they will turn smoothly. Take the two rear grey panels and glue them onto the 2 and 3/4 inch long plexiglass piece, centered so that the rotation mecanism hole is directly above the hole in the plexiglass.
Posted Image
Glue the front grey peices on much the same way, centered above the hole that you drilled.

Put back together both of the turrets, now connected by the plexiglass.(the plexiglass shold be underneath the grey piece, so that when you put the turret in the gun the grey plastic is against the maverick casing)

Now for the Maverick itself. Make the cuts pictured, all of them are pretty easy. One that can be easy to forget is removing the turret restricting bar.(the small protrusion above the turret rotator)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Drill a 1/4 in hole in the maverick body, right below th screw that is directly in front of the trigger.

Now glue the last piece of plexiglass that you cut, the one that is 3 by 1 and 1/4 inches, onto the front of the gun. Make sure the hole is on the side that is hanging down, and not the side you're gluing. slide the turret assembly into place and push the fiberglass rod through all the holes. Glue the rod in place, and you're done.
NerfHaven > Your control panel > Profile > Change Signature > Inserts dumb sig > What! No pictures! > Inserts next best thing: http://nerfhaven.com...howuser=114052' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Best thing on Nerfhaven!

#2 KitAdrian

KitAdrian

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 05:28 PM

Hate to burst your bubble, but use the search function, and check the Modifications Directory.

This has been done Double and Triple Turret, and the method is much cleaner.

#3 hamoidar

hamoidar

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 06:01 PM

Hate to burst your bubble, but use the search function, and check the Modifications Directory.

This has been done Double and Triple Turret, and the method is much cleaner.

I did search for this mod before writing the post, but could not find anything. I guess I didn't use enough of the right key words. Although that mod may be cleaner, it does not mean it is easier. Drilling semi sunk holes is not easy, and wood is much more prone to splitting than plastic. As for the triple turret mod, it needs three mavericks in order to complete it, making it a costly venture. I think that since nerfhaven is dedicated to producing quality mods, it should be open to variations on the same mod. Everyone has a different use in mind for their nerf gun, and make decisions about which mod to do from those speculations. So, having variations on a mod should not be looked down upon, as it buildes the quality and usfulness of this forum.

Edited by hamoidar, 11 November 2011 - 06:03 PM.

NerfHaven > Your control panel > Profile > Change Signature > Inserts dumb sig > What! No pictures! > Inserts next best thing: http://nerfhaven.com...howuser=114052' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Best thing on Nerfhaven!

#4 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 07:03 PM

Just a simple google search for "Maverick Double Turret Mod" (the title of your thread) shows the original thread on the first page. If you are going to post post-mod pictures of a less clean version for a mod that has already been written up, use the modification and PJ thread.

#5 gehaga

gehaga

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 11:09 PM

In the MTG world we have a unwritten rule, if someone has already built a deck the does the same thing as yours but more efficiently, play their deck list.
Your mod is done differently, but not done as well. NerfHaven prides its self on being a quality website, with quality work(not necessarily easy). Anyone can see a well made mod and reverse engineer it with the tools and supplies they have on hand. These reverse engineered projects don't need write ups of their own. I realize that you did not know this mod was done already, but there is no reason to defend your post, what is done is done.

But anyway, I do like your priming rod replacement, very resourceful.

Edited by gehaga, 11 November 2011 - 11:10 PM.

Send me a PM with your address, credit card info, a scandalous picture of your mother, and your social security number. Okay, I'm kidding about the social. And the credit card.

#6 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,020 posts
  • NerfHaven Subscription Supporter
  • State:Minnesota

Posted 11 November 2011 - 11:40 PM

*people shitting on the OP*

You guys are harsh. Would you bitch at me for posting SNAP writeups which are very similar to what Carbon posted years ago? Certainly a case could be made that dim3's double/triple turret mods are superior, but that is in the eye of the beholder. Hamoidar's work is not nearly as slick as some of the more experienced members, but you've got to start somewhere. And by golly, he's making the effort to post original content and a fairly comprehensive writeup. That seems to embody the spirit of Nerfhaven better than just using the search function.

#7 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,437 posts
  • State:California

Posted 11 November 2011 - 11:49 PM

You guys are harsh. Would you bitch at me for posting SNAP writeups which are very similar to what Carbon posted years ago? Certainly a case could be made that dim3's double/triple turret mods are superior, but that is in the eye of the beholder. Hamoidar's work is not nearly as slick as some of the more experienced members, but you've got to start somewhere. And by golly, he's making the effort to post original content and a fairly comprehensive writeup. That seems to embody the spirit of Nerfhaven better than just using the search function.

Oh shit, Beaver. You just opened a can of worms, and motherfucker, Do You Like Worms?

You're forgetting what's really important here: that the members who joined two months ago are exponentially more important than the members one month ago.

Importance on the forum is also directly proportional to how many ugly sweaters you own, so bow down before your God-King.

Unholy Three: DUPLUM SCRTA, DUPLUM PROBLEMA (2009)

But Zeke guns tend to be like proofs by contradiction

Theoretically solid but actually non-constructive

Rnbw Cln

#8 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,020 posts
  • NerfHaven Subscription Supporter
  • State:Minnesota

Posted 12 November 2011 - 12:08 AM

Posted Image

I BOW DOWN BEFORE YOU
OH GOD-EMPEROR

Ice9's has been nerfin' since before it was cool, which makes him superior to all others in this thread. What a fucking hipster.

#9 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,985 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 12:25 AM

Okay, so the acrylic on the kid's maverick looks like he's been chewing on it, and he didn't search for double mavericks before posting his writeup. But there's no need for anyone to shit all over his thread. Lately the thread-shitting has been getting out of hand. I've seen a lot of people try to assert their superiority under the pretense of enforcing some mythological Nerfhaven Standard of Quality. Personally, I think it's cool that the OP dove right into making a double mav, not knowing it had been done before. It's nice to have some new guys around that can put together a decent writeup and would want to contribute something to the community, overly judgmental d-bags that we are.

You can poop in my toilet anytime champ.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#10 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 05:35 PM

Seeing as this thread has been turned into a discussion of mod posts, why not.

The Nerfhaven search function is useless for keywords, don't even bother trying to use it for that. Come to think of it, I can't name a situation where you would want to use the search function over Google.
People talking about "unwritten" rules of NH are annoying. Please stop. You are not a spokesperson for every member of this website.
What is the "spirit" of Nerfhaven? Is there a mission statement somewhere?

Now back to the mod:
I see your points about the countersunk holes, they do look complicated, and your method does not involve anything complicated like that.
I'm not criticizing the mod at all, it's great that you are creative. I'm criticizing the write-up.

#11 cmeej

cmeej

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • State:Oregon

Posted 14 November 2011 - 11:59 AM

Just a note - the previous post we are all griping over was of lesser quality than this one. Even if the method was better, the writing sucked. On top of that there is a discussion of his method being a replication of another nerfer's... and he got away with it. He didn't have his thread shitted over.

Just Sayin'
Qualified Ginger
Deal affectionado and photo nazi.
"If at first the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it" -Albert Einstein

#12 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,985 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 12:06 PM

Alright, that's enough of that. The next person to make a post in this thread about the quality of the mod, the writing, whether or not it is derivative of some other mod or anything that isn't in regard to the modification itself is getting a time out.

You can poop in my toilet anytime champ.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#13 thebob13666

thebob13666

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • State:Oklahoma

Posted 14 November 2011 - 07:18 PM

I actually am interested in the priming bar. First off, where would one find 1/4" fiberglass rod? And secondly, is it secured in place by friction, or some kind of glue?

#14 hamoidar

hamoidar

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 06:16 PM

I actually am interested in the priming bar. First off, where would one find 1/4" fiberglass rod? And secondly, is it secured in place by friction, or some kind of glue?

The fiberglass is from a driveway marker rod, the kind with a reflector at the top. The rod is secured with hot glue, on both sides.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users