The eliminator that goes 90 feet.

28 replies to this topic

#26 NerfGeek416

NerfGeek416

• Members
  • 151 posts
  • State:New York

Posted 11 January 2011 - 10:39 PM

SSPB's have smaller diameter pumps, allowing higher pressures than most blasters.

#27 shmmee

shmmee

• Members
  • 467 posts
  • State:Utah

Posted 11 January 2011 - 11:05 PM

and a pump replacement would kill the range.

How exactly? If I were to simply drill a hole in the side of the SSPB pump, glue shut the hole that the stock pump enters through, and attach a plugged hornet pump to the the hold drilled in the side of the SSPB, so that I basically have a pump replacement without messing with the internals around the pump, I don't see how that's going to decrease range as long as the pump is plugged....

Its a matter of pneumatics. If you look at a bottle jack (like for a truck) it uses a small pump to force a small amount of fluid into a piston with a larger diameter. By squeezing in "just a little more" with each pump it grants a mechanical advantage, and can reach higher pressures with less required force per pump. (but more pumping is required to make up for the reduced volume) Using the small diameter SSPB pump to force "just a little more" air into the hornet tank lends itself to higher pressures. But more pumping is required.

With a .25" diameter pump you'll need to pump with 15 pounds of force on the final pump to reach 60 psi.
With a .5" diameter pump you'll need to pump with 30 pounds of force on the final pump to reach 60 psi.
With a 1" diameter pump you'll need to pump with 60 pounds of force on the final pump to reach 60 psi. Good luck doing that with a plastic handle.

Boot is guestimating 80 psi. ranges that couldn't be reached with a larger diameter pump.
"and we should respect the people who make our blasters. Even if we do molest the hell out of them..."
~BritNerfMogul

#28 Boot

Boot

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 01:32 AM

How exactly? If I were to simply drill a hole in the side of the SSPB pump, glue shut the hole that the stock pump enters through, and attach a plugged hornet pump to the the hold drilled in the side of the SSPB, so that I basically have a pump replacement without messing with the internals around the pump, I don't see how that's going to decrease range as long as the pump is plugged....

Just Some Bob, Shmmee and Nerfgeek16 all answered this better than I could, Thanks!

You're method of pump replacement would work however. A possible solution would be to keep the stock pump, pump a few times with the large pump, and then switch to the stock pump later to "top off" the pressure. I thought of doing this, but to me it seemed like more trouble for a larger and more complicated blaster with little benefit. Even then the single barrel would make loading time to slow to be any more than a (albeit incredibly powerful) backup shot.

Thanks for all the comments people!
If you try to shoot over 45 feet with a magstrike accurately you fail

I beg to differ

#29 HasreadCoC

HasreadCoC

• Members
  • 274 posts
  • State:Kentucky

Posted 12 January 2011 - 07:20 AM

A possible solution would be to keep the stock pump, pump a few times with the large pump, and then switch to the stock pump later to "top off" the pressure.

This. I like this idea. A lot. I hadn't though of keeping both pumps, I think I may just have to try it and post the results here.

I'm the only respectable person here. The rest of the NIC are pretty much just child molesters.

AKA: ObiWonTwo on Nerfrevolution, and most of the rest of the internet for that matter.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users