Photo

Big Bad Bow Problem

16 replies to this topic

#1 Iwillownyou

Iwillownyou

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 11:45 PM

So. I just did a spring addition and a barrel replacement, but two things went wrong. The first problem is that the dart didn't even make it out of the barrel. I had the same problem before I did the cpvc barrel replacement so its not that. When I tryed to shoot the arrow It didn't even make it off the barrel.
The second problem is that when I prime it back it shoots normally, but the whole back part won't go foward again. Does anyone have any ideas on whats wrong.

Update: So I took it apart and reassembled it. This time the dart did make it out of the barrel, but its only going around 35 ft. Also I got the back piece to got forward but I have to take the two catch pegs and pull them out, so its really inconvienent. Air is coming out hard its just the bullet doesn't always go far.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Finally after taking a drill and my hot glue gun to melt the glue I got it out. Yee!

I'm going to try it agian. Here are some pictures of the length and what it looks like inside. I haven't hot glued it yet, so tell me if its ok. and if I should continue and start hot gluing.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Ok. So I couldn't wait to see what the ranges were with this thing. I went ahead and filled it with hot glue, only to the front of the white part. I also E-taped the Orange front part to the plunger just to make sure it stays in place. Anyways my ranges were pretty good. There consistently hitting 100' or over. I also added a nitefinder spring, so that probably made a huge difference.

One last question is: Is there any way to comfort the plunger head with FBR? What the best way to make this gun last? The gun works, but it sounds like there is to much force on the plunger head or something.

Also I will probably do a write-up on this, just for the heck of it. What do you think?

Thanks you so much for all your guys help, I appreciate it.

- Iwillownyou (FYI: All socal nerfer should try to come to my war) :D

Edited by Iwillownyou, 29 April 2010 - 10:12 PM.

"I love when people say nerf is for woosies, then I shoot them in back with my big blast and laugh."

My youtube acount! Check it out!

#2 Gym

Gym

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 12:14 AM

Make sure the dart is loaded after you cock it, otherwise the BBB has a tendency to suck them in. If this has happened it may still allow shots to fire, but with some limitation depending on how the dart inside is rolling around. Based on your pics. I think this could be part of your problem. Open it back up or shine a flashlight down the barrel to see if one has been sucked in.

#3 moosa

moosa

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 12:36 AM

He said it happened before the barrel replacement though.

Next time you buy a blaster and it doesn't work right out of the box, pack it back up and return it. Don't open it up.
Yes.

#4 snakerbot

snakerbot

Maker of Things

• Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 12:54 AM

Is that as far forward as the plunger goes (in the pic second from the bottom)? Because that definitely isn't as far as it should. That could be why you can't get the back of the gun to move forward. The plunger stops before it has a chance to push the catch nubs out far enough to let them around the lip.

Edited by snakerbot, 29 April 2010 - 12:55 AM.

#5 RVMVTVProductions

RVMVTVProductions

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 01:05 AM

In addition to snakerbot's comment, you may want to flip the plunger head. Yours is in the wrong direction.
SCUN's South County Representative

#6 laxtk88

laxtk88

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 06:12 AM

In addition to snakerbot's comment, you may want to flip the plunger head. Yours is in the wrong direction.

What he said.
QUOTE(Sleebo @ Jun 12 2008, 07:23 PM) View Post

Just for the record, my mother is the most beautiful women in the world.

#7 jaybo1996

jaybo1996

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 06:29 AM

You have the plunger head on backwards. If you don't like having to push the pegs in, then remove them. But be warned, then you must keep the springs manually copressed before firing. Like a real bow.
01:15 N9> The problem with nerfers: We're around plastic. Plastic contains estrogenic compounds, so we're more feminine than the rest of the world.

WTF, are you in Tony Stark's basement!?'

#8 nostyleguy

nostyleguy

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 08:05 AM

In addition to what everybody has already said, make sure the connection between the barrel and orange plunger cap is air tight.

I did a similar mod with epoxy putty to hold the barrel in, and after a few shots, a crack appeared between the putty and the barrel. It was tiny, like a hair-line fracture, but it killed range. Goop it up and you should be good to go.

#9 Zorns Lemma

Zorns Lemma

Sir Scrt

• Moderators
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 08:42 AM

Posted Image

This piece prevents your plunger rod from traveling all the way forwards. Figure out how to dig out all the hot glue in there.

Also, like people have said, your plunger head is on backwards.

Edited by Zorn's Lemma, 29 April 2010 - 08:43 AM.

"In short, the same knowledge that underlies the ability to produce correct judgement is also the knowledge that underlies the ability to recognize correct judgement. To lack the former is to be deficient in the latter."
Kruger and Dunning (1999)

#10 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 11:43 AM

Am I the only one who finds this guy's username hilarious in the context of this thread?

#11 Lion

Lion

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 11:48 AM

Am I the only one who finds this guy's username hilarious in the context of this thread?

Nope!

#12 stuck by stefan

stuck by stefan

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 03:47 PM

So admins can make useless posts?

On topic: check the plunger head seal; Mine always sucked stock.

This is the NerfHaven profile of Northeast Designs. For more info visit https://www.facebook...p8OwIso&fref=nf

Old school Nerf engineer since 2008

#13 Zorns Lemma

Zorns Lemma

Sir Scrt

• Moderators
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 04:35 PM

On topic: check the plunger head seal; Mine always sucked stock.

Of course his seal would suck. His plunger head is on backwards.
"In short, the same knowledge that underlies the ability to produce correct judgement is also the knowledge that underlies the ability to recognize correct judgement. To lack the former is to be deficient in the latter."
Kruger and Dunning (1999)

#14 Iwillownyou

Iwillownyou

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 05:41 PM

Hey Vacc, it was the only thing I could think of at the time.
"I love when people say nerf is for woosies, then I shoot them in back with my big blast and laugh."

My youtube acount! Check it out!

#15 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 11:25 PM

So admins can make useless posts?

Yeah, it's funny how that works. Admins get a little carte blanche since we run the site and keep a few thousand teenage kids in check, but we're hardly alone.

I give a lot of leeway to members who contribute original and detailed modification write ups, or who consistently host nerf wars. Hell, anybody who I know for a fact gets out and nerfs on a regular basis generally gets away with whatever. Also, people who bring humor to the site, or who even just have a long running record of making intelligent and intelligible posts without being douchebags; they're usually in the clear regardless. The point is, I could go on for two pages here and you wouldn't fit any of the criteria.

Guess how this is gonna end?

#16 MechanicMatt

MechanicMatt

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 06:20 PM

God, VACC I love your thought process. Reading that definitely made my night better. And my guess for how this ends, is someone getting the 9999 day special. Or at least a month or two, bon voyage and enjoy the view from outside lookin in.

#17 moosa

moosa

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 12:55 AM

I smell a tremendous potential for irony brewing here.

Of course you can cushion the plunger head with FBR. Just snip a bit off and glue it on the end. Glad to hear you got it figured out.

Edited by moosa, 01 May 2010 - 01:46 AM.

Yes.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users