Photo

Why Brass And Not Copper?

13 replies to this topic

#1 RedShot

RedShot

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 08:42 PM

I was wondering (well my dad was) why people use brass over copper? I need as many possible answers to explain to my dad.

Also where is a good place to get it? I have been to Home Depot and nothing just some brass parts.

Thanks in advance!
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together!
[RedShot]

#2 Darken

Darken

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 08:46 PM

Brass comes in many specific sizes, many of them fitting darts, while copper comes in few sizes, and the closest size for darts is too big and makes a bad fit for almost all darts.

Brass is kinda picky on where it is. You will never find it at any Home Depot, some Lowes have it, some Ace Hardware have it, and various other hardware stores.

#3 Ryan201821

Ryan201821

Prince Edward

• Contributors
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 08:46 PM

Copper's ID is too big for micro darts. Brass comes in increments of 1/32" so you can get the best size to fit your foam. Since brass comes in increments of 1/32" you can nest it in a bigger piece. This is why breeches are usually made of brass.

I have found it at some Ace's, but any local hobby shop should carry brass. Just look up your local hobby shop in the phone book. Home Depot usually doesn't have brass.

#4 Darth Tom

Darth Tom

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 08:51 PM

Copper has an internal diameter that is too large for 99% of foam. It comes in 1/4" increments. Brass, on the other hand, comes in increments of 1/32", allowing a more custom fit for foam. Most foams fit either 17/32" or 9/16" brass.

If he asks why it can't be loose, that is because air will move around the dart. You need a comfortably tight fit for springers to build up pressure. Air guns should have loose barrels, but not so much that darts fall out, just for convenience reasons.

Copper is also pretty damn expensive.

Edit: Well, this post is pretty much pointless now, too late to the party. I'll leave it anyway.

Edited by Darth_Tom, 24 August 2009 - 08:53 PM.

#5 RedShot

RedShot

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 08:56 PM

Thanks guys! I heard that copper was cheaper than brass but oh well.

I'll get my dad to read some of these replies so he will have a better understanding of it.

One other main reason that I am posting this is because I wanted to make a breach but I dont know if I have the skills or tools to make it :(.

Cool thank you for all the help!
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together!
[RedShot]

#6 father time

father time

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 10:18 PM

Try hobby shops for brass tubing .

Edited by father time, 24 August 2009 - 10:20 PM.

Ask her if she wants you to give her a multiple orgasm.
And when she looks stunned show her a picture of the blaster.
But if she gets excited. You're in.
-Miguel Ramos
Time is the one thing you can never escape.-Father Time

#7 mystefansdontflystraight

mystefansdontflystraight

• Members
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 08:37 AM

Thanks guys! I heard that copper was cheaper than brass but oh well.

I'll get my dad to read some of these replies so he will have a better understanding of it.

One other main reason that I am posting this is because I wanted to make a breach but I dont know if I have the skills or tools to make it :P.

Cool thank you for all the help!

You are right, copper is cheaper than brass. At least near me. I can get a 3 foot section of 1/2 inch copper for 6$, while brass is 4$ a foot.

I personally use copper, because I have HUGE FBR. If you really want to use copper, get Swiftnerf's 19/32 fitting FBR.

1/2 inch copper has almost an identical ID to 19/32. To the point that I often replace 19/32 with copper for a cheaper and easier to get alternative.

It should not be completely written off as crap. I did an angel breech for my friend with some scrap copper as the piece of 19/32, and it has held up well, and I didn't have to pay 4$ a foot for it.
QUOTE(Blacksunshine @ Dec 24 2009, 02:15 PM) View Post

QUOTE(white moonlight @ Dec 23 2009, 01:29 PM) View Post

It's just screaming to be rearloading...

I seen a movie about that once.

#8 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 10:44 AM

Copper sucks. You could use it for Mega's and it was god awful. I don't think the inside is smooth enough because the dart didn't even come out of the barrel anytime I tried it.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

#9 pjotrkuh

pjotrkuh

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 11:31 AM

Copper sucks. You could use it for Mega's and it was god awful. I don't think the inside is smooth enough because the dart didn't even come out of the barrel anytime I tried it.

Usually copper has a "mold" line down the length of it, so air will leak or darts will get stuck, brass doesn't.
When the shit hits the fan, you'd better wear a rain coat.....

#10 flamincows

flamincows

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 01:46 PM

I recently re-barreled an AT2K with copper after switching to swiftnerf white foam and it preforms nicely despite being ludicrously front heavy.

I haven't encountered any copper tubing with this mold line, but I will look out for it from now on.
Sex Dwarves: Drug test? What kinds of drugs are we testing?

#11 biotnerf

biotnerf

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 03:52 PM

if the surface of copper is marked and some copper in general, you will get oxidization.

#12 SorrowX

SorrowX

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 11:16 PM

if the surface of copper is marked and some copper in general, you will get oxidization.

Brass oxidizes as well, just at a slower rate. Personally, I use 1/2" brass, because I have weird foam. I know the HB guys use white foam and 19/32 brass, and I think i saw a longshot of theirs with welded copper, I'm not too sure though.
You may have the balls, but I have the lack of morality!

#13 Vinnie D

Vinnie D

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 03:26 AM

I have found a few uses for copper, but none as a really reliable barrel. If you use silicon lube spray on it to improve the dart's slide through it makes for a decent RSCB. I've also used it in my Longshot to stabilize the dart's flight a little. It actually reduces the range but cuts back on the fishtailing for more accuracy, though I imagine the right size brass could do just the same if cut properly, though it's not available in my area.

I've seen at least one recon mod make use of copper in the barrel extension. Trying it myself I got much the same results as with the longshot. Stability gained at the cost of range.

So I suppose it's good if you need a loose barrel that a dart can easily slide in and out of. I wouldn't advise it for barrels in general though. I get far better results from CPVC which is cheaper and easier to to cut.

#14 Cappy

Cappy

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 03:54 PM

Copper may be cheaper but it is also not the right fit. It is either to small or too big. Brass is 3.50 per foot at my local hardware/hobby shop. Try looking around for any small hardware or furniture store. I know furniture sounds crazy but thats were i get my brass :)
"Shoot!!" "OUCH I was kidding damn it!"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users