Photo

I'm Having Some Issues With My New Doomsayer...

52 replies to this topic

#26 SaucyGanzalez

SaucyGanzalez

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 05:01 PM

How have you reinforced the rotating mech? It sounds like the turret and plunger aren't aligning perfectly every time. But when they do align, good things happen, like you said.

I pretty much did everything that angel did for the rotation mech, as for the turret seal i couldn't get the hotglue thing to work so the seal remains stock.

Then it's certainly the seal. The seal would explain why sometime you get great shots and sometimes you do not. The turret seal is very important, as you can tell, so definitely improve that.

It's not your barrels, 6" is already short, shortening won't help you. Making them a little longer might, especially if you improve the turret seal because more air will be getting to the barrels, so they could be longer.

Thanks guys, I'm going up to the hardware store in a bit to pick up the O-ring used in this mod http://nerfhaven.com...topic=13659&hl= for the turret seal.

Edited by SaucyGanzalez, 09 July 2009 - 05:03 PM.

"Fuck it, ill use a hacksaw" ~ SaucyGanzalez

"Makin darts, eaten'....What ever this is" ~ UberKuhlMan

#27 The Nerf Devil

The Nerf Devil

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 06:05 PM

Just be sure to glue it down really well and make sure your rear loading holes are smooth.
It's funny looking through things you said years ago, you realize how much of an ass you came off as sometimes.

#28 SaucyGanzalez

SaucyGanzalez

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 06:18 PM

Just be sure to glue it down really well and make sure your rear loading holes are smooth.

Alright thanks, is super glue best?

#29 The Nerf Devil

The Nerf Devil

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 06:21 PM

I found either epoxy and/or Goop worked best.
It's funny looking through things you said years ago, you realize how much of an ass you came off as sometimes.

#30 SaucyGanzalez

SaucyGanzalez

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 08:52 PM

I just got the O-ring and glued it on but it still wont fire 60% of the time..

#31 Chris is cool

Chris is cool

• Banned
  • 174 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 08:59 PM

Really strange problem you've got here. Is it specific barrels that aren't firing correctly? Does it fire well if your darts are NOT the entire way down the barrel?

#32 SaucyGanzalez

SaucyGanzalez

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 09:04 PM

Really strange problem you've got here. Is it specific barrels that aren't firing correctly? Does it fire well if your darts are NOT the entire way down the barrel?

Yes, it does fire if the darts are not all the way down the barrel and no, its random and now it seems as though
all the barrels have problems...also I think i have a pretty good seal because if I blow down the barrel barely any air escapes.

Edited by SaucyGanzalez, 09 July 2009 - 09:08 PM.

#33 Lt Stefan

Lt Stefan

• Members
  • 892 posts
  • State:New Jersey

Posted 09 July 2009 - 09:21 PM

You should lube the back of the turret, and probably use craft foam sheets and glue the rotation mech like in assasinNF's mod, because cpvc is heavier than petg. This will ensure that the barrels are lined up correctly. Also did you seal between the base of the barrels and the turret? Maybe a picture of the turret would help...

#34 SaucyGanzalez

SaucyGanzalez

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 09:27 PM

Alright, I'm going to bed now but i think the problem is that the rotation mech spring, even with all the hot glue is too weak. I don't really understand AssassinNF's method though. If someone could explain that it would be much appreciated. Anyway thanks for all your input.

Edited by SaucyGanzalez, 09 July 2009 - 09:57 PM.

#35 Lt Stefan

Lt Stefan

• Members
  • 892 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 09:53 PM

So now the only thing left would be how did you seal the barrels?

#36 SaucyGanzalez

SaucyGanzalez

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 10:00 PM

So now the only thing left would be how did you seal the barrels?

I didn't want to double post so I just edited my last post, anyway yea the seal is great.

#37 umpshaplapa

umpshaplapa

• Members
  • 636 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 06:22 PM

Alright, I'm going to bed now but i think the problem is that the rotation mech spring, even with all the hot glue is too weak. I don't really understand AssassinNF's method though. If someone could explain that it would be much appreciated. Anyway thanks for all your input.

He placed "7-8" pieces of craft foam in the place the springs goes. The real thing that makes his method stronger though is glueing the two other "gear disks" together.
QUOTE(Talio @ Jun 29 2009, 01:50 PM) View Post

i got a black belt in noob banning in 2004.

#38 Lt Stefan

Lt Stefan

• Members
  • 892 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 06:54 PM

Maybe you put it together wrong?

#39 SaucyGanzalez

SaucyGanzalez

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 08:57 PM

Maybe you put it together wrong?

Well I've taken it apart and put it back together many many times so I dont think that's the problem. However do you think it sounds like I need to replace the hotglued rotation mech spring with AssassinNF's craft foam thing? and if so could you explain how to do so? Also I really want to thank you guys for all your help.

#40 Lt Stefan

Lt Stefan

• Members
  • 892 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 10:55 PM

You take some small squares of craft foam (about eight), and punch a hole in them. Stack them, and put them where the spring went. Then you glue the beefy gear disc and gear wheel together.

#41 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 02:33 AM

You take some small squares of craft foam (about eight), and punch a hole in them. Stack them, and put them where the spring went. Then you glue the beefy gear disc and gear wheel together.

^ What he said.

Also:

1. The turret-to-plunger tube seal is the most important part of the gun. If that's not good, it won't fire.
2. The plunger tube is very picky when it comes to its placement inside the shell, and it's very easy to put it in wrong. Make sure the plunger tube is in exactly the right spot when you close up the gun. For some reason, this can drastically affect things.
3. Don't cut down your barrels just yet. A Doomsayer with the springs you're using can handle 6" CPVC barels fine as long as the seal is decent and your darts aren't horrible.
4. Replacing the spring with craft foam isn't much stronger than Angel's method, it's just easier than making the spring into a glue blob. The important part of the reinforcement I did was glueing the "beefy gear disc and gear wheel together".

Good luck with your Doomsayer. I wish I could be more helpful.

Probably dead by now, or something.

#42 SaucyGanzalez

SaucyGanzalez

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 11:27 AM

I just added a little more hotglue to the spring and glued the two rotation mech pieces together but it still wont shoot. If this helps at all the turret has been wiggling back and forth if that has anything to do with anything.

#43 Chris is cool

Chris is cool

• Banned
  • 174 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 11:29 AM

It's probably the simple dart/barrel fit. If they're firing when they are at the end of the barrel, odds are your darts are too tight.

#44 SaucyGanzalez

SaucyGanzalez

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 12:02 PM

It's probably the simple dart/barrel fit. If they're firing when they are at the end of the barrel, odds are your darts are too tight.

Yea, I'm starting to think that Doomsayers require an UBER-loose dart fit because CPVC is what I use with all my other weapons and it works great.

#45 Salmon

Salmon

• Members
  • 447 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 12:51 PM

Yea, I'm starting to think that Doomsayers require an UBER-loose dart fit because CPVC is what I use with all my other weapons and it works great.

They don't. I use Mile High + PETG in mine, which is a pretty snug/tight dart-barrel fit, and I'm getting 90-110' flat. However, when I use a looser dart, such as Mod Man red foam, the dart literally doesn't even leave the barrel.
On your gun, were you positive to leave a rim around the turret to hold it against the plunger tube? And on both sides? Other than that, you may want to check the rotation mech, as said before, and make sure the pushnuts on the rod aren't too tight or too loose. You just want them to be secure enough to hold the thing together, without compressing the hot-glued spring all the way.
Welcome to I-dont-care-isburg, population: me.
We're located in I-Don't-Give-a-Damn County, in scenic Shut-the-Hell-Up-achussets.
Maybe you're familiar with our annual charity drive where we ask for shit, and no one gives any.

#46 Chris is cool

Chris is cool

• Banned
  • 174 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 12:59 PM

There is a difference between tight, uber-loose, and uber-tight. Uber tight often = Effeminate fail. Plus, he said they travel halfway through the barrel when they don't fire. I think he has a fit similar to shoving a micro in a nano's barrel if that happens on occasions. Just try different darts and see if it works!

#47 umpshaplapa

umpshaplapa

• Members
  • 636 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 01:38 PM

They don't. I use Mile High + PETG in mine, which is a pretty snug/tight dart-barrel fit, and I'm getting 90-110' flat. However, when I use a looser dart, such as Mod Man red foam, the dart literally doesn't even leave the barrel.
On your gun, were you positive to leave a rim around the turret to hold it against the plunger tube? And on both sides? Other than that, you may want to check the rotation mech, as said before, and make sure the pushnuts on the rod aren't too tight or too loose. You just want them to be secure enough to hold the thing together, without compressing the hot-glued spring all the way.

A way you can tell if you messed that up is simple. Point your gun up, and try to fire it. Now point your gun down, and try again. If it fires the first, but not the second, you probably cut to much off.
If this does happen, try a few more times to make sure it wasn't just a coincidence.
QUOTE(Talio @ Jun 29 2009, 01:50 PM) View Post

i got a black belt in noob banning in 2004.

#48 nerkum

nerkum

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • State:Georgia

Posted 11 July 2009 - 04:09 PM

The thing to remember with all turret guns, is that air pressure will always go the path of least resistance.

A dart that is too tight in the barrel (lots of twisting) may be a better seal then your turret to plunger. If that happens all your air pressure is going to blast out the back end of your barrel. If your dart does not have an airtight fit in your barrel (snug, twist tight, slides free but doesn't let air around it) the air pressure will escape around your dart in the barrel and the dart will barely move (this is where I got my idea to put an inline clip barrel on the Doomsayer).

Of course take pics/video of it if none of this information helps. It could be anything. My best guess would be that the rotation isn't fully happening when you cock the gun. So the plunger/turret seal isn't happening.

#49 SaucyGanzalez

SaucyGanzalez

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 08:04 PM

Thanks for all your help guys I'm just going to tell you all that i know now.
1. I have a good plunger tube to turret seal
2. I have a good plunger head to plunger tube seal
3.The ridges on the front of the gun that keep the turret pressed up to the plunger tube are large enough
4. My springs are strong enough
5. I THINK I have a good dart to barrel size (it works on my other guns)
6.My barrels are a good length
7.My turret is sealed well
8.I THINK my plunger tube is in the correct place
9.I think my rotation mech is reinforced enough
10. My darts do not move down the barrel at all now

Edited by SaucyGanzalez, 11 July 2009 - 08:05 PM.

#50 Lt Stefan

Lt Stefan

• Members
  • 892 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 11:16 AM

Duh! I completely forgot about this. Does your turret rotate at all? When you put the push-nut fasteners on, the have to be in an EXACT place, or the turret will not line up/rotate. Also make sure the gear disc is in the grooves in the turret. And what type of seal are you using between plunger and turret?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users