My Doomsayer

It's fucking worth it.

22 replies to this topic

#1 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 11:42 PM

Since the original Doomsayer write up was released it has come to my attention that not one person has been able to successfully recreate it. In case there is some dedicated individual out there. This write up is for you.

2 years ago, I saw FA_24's mod to the pump-action shotgun (the one that fires balls stock), and went searching for that gun. Instead, I found the rapid-fire shotgun. I then posted a n00bish and picture-less topic about it, and nearly a year later, FA_24 amazed us all with the Doomsayer. I've been wanting to make my own ever since.

So last week, I got off my ass and did it.

Posted Image

This is my take on the Doomsayer. I did things much differently.
This thread will outline the differences, and show a few alternative ways of modding this gun.

The Barrels

The most obvious difference is the use of SCH80 PVC instead of PETG. It was a pain in the ass, but not impossible, and shows that with some work, a Doomsayer can be made with any barrel material.
Posted Image
The barrels' lengths are uneven, but they are all perfectly straight.

Of course I made it rear-loading like the original Doomsayer. A non-rear-loading Doomsayer is just stupid.
Posted Image

The Rotating Mechanism

I did this completely differently from Forsaken. Forsaken's method was not working for me, because the turret is so much heavier with PVC than with PETG.

First off, I replaced the rotating mech's spring with about 7-8 of these:
Posted Image
They are craft foam squares with a hole punched in them. I simply used them as a cushion that was slightly stronger than the spring.
The main part though, was glueing these two peices of the Mech together:
Posted Image
This makes it impossible for the mech to slip, meaning you can't rotate the turret without pumping the gun after you do this, but if you are going to have heavier barrels, Angel's method just won't cut it.

After you're done, if you can't find a pushnut fastener, a standard washer of the right size can be hammered on with enough force:
Posted Image

The Plunger Head

Posted Image
I only used the original spring + a longshot spring, because I have no need for godly ranges, just good ranges. I was aiming for 90' range on this gun.

For the plunger Head, I put foam in the area FA_24 filled with Hotglue, and then wrapped it in E-tape. After that, I glued some pipe insulation to the front for some padding, and lubed it with silicon spray. It's not a perfect seal, but it's a damn good seal.

The Turret to Plunger Tube Seal

This is the make-or-break part of the mod. The Hotglue mess method was frustrating the living shit out of me, and then I stumbled upon this:
Posted Image
This o-ring has a perfect fit over the lip of the plunger tube, and the case has natural grooves that keep it in place. You literally just have to stick it in there and it suddenly has a perfect seal, no glueing required:
Posted Image

END OF PART ONE. Please don't post until I'm done.

A few other things:

The Trigger spring:
Posted Image

The Shoulder Strap:
I cut a Key-ring in half, and bent it into these shapes, and cut small grooves in the top of the shell for them to lock into:
Posted Image
Posted Image
And then attached a Vulcan shoulder strap:
Posted Image

Internal Pics:
Posted Image
Posted Image

I had to add my own personal touch to it, and I felt like a skull would be a blatant rip off. Plus, with the PVC Barrels, you wouldn't be able to see the skull, anyway. So instead I added a Glow-in-the-dark eye. Posted Image
The Shadow of the barrels makes it dark in the center of the turret no matter how bright it is outside, so the eye glows in the daytime as well. All you have to do is point your gun up at a light, and then your opponents have a creepy glowing eye staring at them as you shoot them. I think it's suiting. It's like the Eye of Fate watching their Doom.

This gun is very front heavy. That's why I added the shoulder strap. With the shoulder strap, however, this gun is very comfortable.

Ranges are in the high 90's consistantly, with a few stray shots surpassing 100'. It's also extremely accurate.

Any questions? I hope my experiences with this gun can add on to FA_24's, and allow more people to turn these into their own monstrosities.

Edited by AssassinNF, 21 October 2008 - 11:24 PM.

Probably dead by now, or something.

#2 Tornado13

Tornado13

• Members
  • 248 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 12:28 AM

Seems to me that the vulcan strap attachments don't look very sturdy, with a heavy jolt on them do you think they would come out?

#3 chefdave

chefdave

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 12:29 AM

Very nice, mine is currently singled, I may have to buy a second one and merge the two. It's so powerfull that the darts give people welts from <10 ft away with taggers! Unfortunately it is also extremely inaccurate due to the lack of heavier darts.
QUOTE(VACC @ Jul 21 2009, 08:13 PM) View Post
QUOTE(crispy) View Post

Talio likes to eat his own shit.
It's a distinct possibility. But seriously, that's all you could come up with? You are a terrible Troll.

#4 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 12:42 AM

Seems to me that the vulcan strap attachments don't look very sturdy, with a heavy jolt on them do you think they would come out?

The strap's not going anywhere. I swung the gun like a flail by the strap to test it. :lol:

They're made out of a thick Key-ring, so they're very strong. It took me two large pairs of pliers to bend them to those shapes. They're also hooked into the case, so as long as the case stays screwed together, these will stay in place.

#5 Tornado13

Tornado13

• Members
  • 248 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 12:59 AM

Thanks, I am considering making one myself and the strap would help a lot in wars.

#6 sputnik

sputnik

• Members
  • 911 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 01:08 AM

What kinda darts are you using?
All the Sch. 80 I've found is way too loose on micros.
tcambre on IRC.

<3

#7 ice

ice

• Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 06:46 AM

This looks amazing. Though I still think your putting a shit load of strain on it for turning such a heavy turret. I wanna see how long this lasts.
<!--quoteo(post=206428:date=Jan 25 2009, 05:17 PM:name=Mukersman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mukersman @ Jan 25 2009, 05:17 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
Turd stefans. When I pulled these out of the pillow case i was just like, what... the... fuck...
Muker
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#8 mystefansdontflystraight

mystefansdontflystraight

• Members
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 07:11 AM

I think you are the second person to have a fully functonal doomsayer. oodalumps I believe was the first, apart from angel. Great job, though you must have insanely big FBR to fit SCH80.
QUOTE(Blacksunshine @ Dec 24 2009, 02:15 PM) View Post

QUOTE(white moonlight @ Dec 23 2009, 01:29 PM) View Post

It's just screaming to be rearloading...

I seen a movie about that once.

#9 Guest_fadinglight4_*

Guest_fadinglight4_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2008 - 07:27 AM

Good job. The SCH 80 is huge and will not fit normal darts at least very well but I think that it is amazing that you pulled this off. Great modification.

#10 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 08:27 AM

Slightly heated log home store stuff fits SCH 80 wonderfully. Slides right in and out.

I like it. The O-ring to the turret is great, that is the one part in my mind that was questionable in the original writeup. Glad to have an easy to replicate alternative. :lol:

What kind of glue did you use for the insulation on the plunger head? Anything short of super glue failed quickly for me on the original vulcan mods, and that didn't slam into the tube nearly as much as a Doomsayer's plunger head.
Teehee.

#11 aetherguy881

aetherguy881

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 09:11 AM

Very nice! I applaud you. This, like the original, is very inspiring.
--Modify a blaster for a kid and he'll be entertained for a week. Teach him how to modify blasters and he'll become an engineer--
NERFtastic!
FOAMalicious!
DARTomatic!
--Silly emo kids, go draw yourself a picture--

#12 CrazyIvan VI

CrazyIvan VI

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 11:08 AM

Holy fuck. With the gray barrels, it looks even more intimidating.

Here's a PJ idea for you, leave the barrels gray where they come out of the gun, but where they're in the big circular rotation chamber, paint them like loaded shotgun shells.

That would be made of fucking win.
I get all giddy when I see VACC browsing a stupid topic. I just know someone is going to get banned.

#13 nerfer9

nerfer9

• Members
  • 680 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 05:05 PM

Slides right in and out.

Someone should quote that.....

ON TOPIC: Good job, if they carried this monster over here I would buy one and mod it. Unfortunatley, the don't. I am going to find something else I guess ever since my Xbow was run over....

#14 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 07:33 PM

What kinda darts are you using?
All the Sch. 80 I've found is way too loose on micros.

I think you are the second person to have a fully functonal doomsayer. oodalumps I believe was the first, apart from angel. Great job, though you must have insanely big FBR to fit SCH80.

Good job. The SCH 80 is huge and will not fit normal darts at least very well but I think that it is amazing that you pulled this off. Great modification.

I use LogHomeStore foam and Mcmaster foam, both of which fit this SCH80 PVC very well. (I got this particular SCH80 from Mcmaster). It has a similar ID to 9/16" brass.

Slightly heated log home store stuff fits SCH 80 wonderfully. Slides right in and out.

I like it. The O-ring to the turret is great, that is the one part in my mind that was questionable in the original writeup. Glad to have an easy to replicate alternative. :)

What kind of glue did you use for the insulation on the plunger head? Anything short of super glue failed quickly for me on the original vulcan mods, and that didn't slam into the tube nearly as much as a Doomsayer's plunger head.

Yep, LHS foam is great for this.

Thanks! I like the O-ring, too. It just works perfectly with no effort at all. It was made for the Doomsayer.

I used Hot glue. Hasn't given me any problems yet, but I will definitely keep an eye on it.

This looks amazing. Though I still think your putting a shit load of strain on it for turning such a heavy turret. I wanna see how long this lasts.

Thanks. No problems so far. The only piece with any real stress on it is the Rotating arm, and it's a pretty beefy part. I'm not too worried about it.

Very nice! I applaud you. This, like the original, is very inspiring.

Thanks!

Holy fuck. With the gray barrels, it looks even more intimidating.

Here's a PJ idea for you, leave the barrels gray where they come out of the gun, but where they're in the big circular rotation chamber, paint them like loaded shotgun shells.

That would be made of fucking win.

Hehehe, glad you think so.

After a few rather discouraging projects in the past, I've decided not to paint anything that I put this much effort into. I like the way it looks now, anyway.

#15 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 09:11 PM

This is the reason why I do write ups in the first place.
Now that you have completed this you are ready for your next project:
The Eyes of Fire :)

I can only imagine how heavy that is.
You have 12 feet of pvc in the front of your gun.
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#16 aetherguy881

aetherguy881

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 10:47 PM

That just means that it'll be albeit more steady when he goes to aim. Yay Newton's first law of motion!
--Modify a blaster for a kid and he'll be entertained for a week. Teach him how to modify blasters and he'll become an engineer--
NERFtastic!
FOAMalicious!
DARTomatic!
--Silly emo kids, go draw yourself a picture--

#17 imaseoulman

imaseoulman

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 11:09 PM

That just means that it'll be albeit more steady when he goes to aim. Yay Newton's first law of motion!

Generally front heavy guns are LESS steady when aiming when compared to rear heavy guns. This is why hunters/marksmen often load the butt of their rifles with sand or other materials. A heavier gun will recoil less, but trying to support a front heavy gun causes strain on your muscles and results in less steadiness.

#18 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 06:57 AM

Yes, and if recoil is throwing off your shot with a nerf gun, you're probably holding the ultimator too close to you head.

#19 Norther of Heaven

Norther of Heaven

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 04:20 PM

That is in-credible. Looks fucking menacing. Like something from MGS or something cool like that.

I want one of these. Badly.
"I don't always drink beer. But when I do,
I beat my wife."

#20 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 06:19 PM

This is the reason why I do write ups in the first place.
Now that you have completed this you are ready for your next project:
The Eyes of Fire :)

And thank you so much for that write-up! :angry:
Hehe, I'll be going back to doing my own mods for a while. I've already got a few big projects going.

Yeah, it's extremely heavy for a nerf gun. No big though, I could carry it without a problem. And with the shoulder strap, I don't notice it at all. (That's what it's for ;) )

Generally front heavy guns are LESS steady when aiming when compared to rear heavy guns. This is why hunters/marksmen often load the butt of their rifles with sand or other materials. A heavier gun will recoil less, but trying to support a front heavy gun causes strain on your muscles and results in less steadiness.

And the shoulder strap takes all of that strain off my muscles.

That is in-credible. Looks fucking menacing. Like something from MGS or something cool like that.

I want one of these. Badly.

Thanks!

A quick Froogle search picks up a few random sites selling them, if anyone wants to get one online.

Amazon.com also has them in stock.

#21 Watari

Watari

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 06:34 PM

Yeah, it's extremely heavy for a nerf gun. No big though, I could carry it without a problem. And with the shoulder strap, I don't notice it at all. (That's what it's for :angry: )

I thought of this a few hours ago while thinking of ways to improve My ERTL Rapid fire shotgun. After doing some of what Forsaken_angel24 did, (the hot glue turret seal and the E-tape around the plunger head), I was thinking of adding a counter-weight to the stock, it has plenty of dead space for it, I just didn't have any materials to use for a counter-weight. I also thought of doing exactly what you did for the SCH80 PVC, it's just I don't have a dremel and I think it'd be pretty hard to use a drill...
EDIT: I was also thinking of buying 6-12 feet of brass, but that's just stupid, or maybe 2 feet...2'' in each section.

Edited by Watari, 23 October 2008 - 06:37 PM.

#22 venom213

venom213

• Validating
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 06:44 PM

This just reminded me to finish my in progress Doomsayer, thank you. I always wondered about using PVC or CPVC barrels, I'm glad someone finally did to the full length. I'll put many of your ideas into consideration as I finish my Doomsayer.

#23 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 06:51 PM

Yeah, it's extremely heavy for a nerf gun. No big though, I could carry it without a problem. And with the shoulder strap, I don't notice it at all. (That's what it's for :) )

I thought of this a few hours ago while thinking of ways to improve My ERTL Rapid fire shotgun. After doing some of what Forsaken_angel24 did, (the hot glue turret seal and the E-tape around the plunger head), I was thinking of adding a counter-weight to the stock, it has plenty of dead space for it, I just didn't have any materials to use for a counter-weight. I also thought of doing exactly what you did for the SCH80 PVC, it's just I don't have a dremel and I think it'd be pretty hard to use a drill...
EDIT: I was also thinking of buying 6-12 feet of brass, but that's just stupid, or maybe 2 feet...2'' in each section.

Depends on what kind of darts you use. 2" brass barrels would be perfect for stock darts.

Yeah, you really can't do this mod without a dremel.

EDIT: Glad this helped, Venom. :angry: CPVC barrels would be very easy to pull off, and PVC barrels, though somewhat difficult, are definitely possible (as you can see). Good luck with your Doomsayer.

Edited by AssassinNF, 23 October 2008 - 06:54 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users