#1 Crankymonky

Crankymonky

It's The Dean!

• Members
  • 687 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 12:40 AM

Project Euler
The Problems

Project Euler is a series of challenging mathematical/computer programming problems that will require more than just mathematical insights to solve. Although mathematics will help you arrive at elegant and efficient methods, the use of a computer and programming skills will be required to solve most problems.

The intended audience include students for whom the basic curriculum is not feeding their hunger to learn, adults whose background was not primarily mathematics but had an interest in things mathematical, and professionals who want to keep their problem solving and mathematics on the edge

You can get more information on their website. They are fun problems that can be solved in a variety of ways and don't even always need programming knowledge, some can be done with a bit of thinking (and knowing the relevant piece of information). They can be done in a variety of languages, and you can see how different people did a problem on the site after you get it right (you have to register and submit your answer).

Please do not post solutions or answers in this thread. If someone wants their code reviewed or help on something, put your code in pastebin and provide a link, so people who haven't done the problem still can get a chance to do it.

I started on these tonight and have done three of them so far.

I hope everyone enjoys.
Tyranny Response Team

#2 hierarchy

hierarchy

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 01:02 AM

Thats kind of cool. I'll probably just print a few of those out each day and solve them on the bus. Should give me something fun to do.
QUOTE(Retiate @ Aug 13 2007, 08:43 PM) View Post

I guess you have some heavy duty industrial strength toilet paper holders. Do they advise you to wear eye protection when changing rolls?

My TTG mod.

#3 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 01:05 AM

Thats kind of cool. I'll probably just print a few of those out each day and solve them on the bus. Should give me something fun to do.

With pen and paper? Good luck. You might be able to solve some on a TI-83 Graphing Calculator or something similar that supports a tailored version of BASIC, but most of them can't be done on pen and paper unless you want to spend hours doing one.

#4 Crankymonky

Crankymonky

It's The Dean!

• Members
  • 687 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 01:14 AM

Or know a relevant, but obscure piece of information. But that only works for some. But when I've been reading solutions, the ones where people explain their reasoning and didn't use a computer are certainly the most interesting.

But I say give it a shot, just don't be disappointed if you're unsuccessful without a computer aid, whether it be graphical, a computer program, programming, or any other means.

But ingenuity is always cooler.
Tyranny Response Team

#5 aetherguy881

aetherguy881

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 10:21 AM

I've been registered there for a bout a month or so, my cousin who works for SciCortex said I should give it a try. I solve the problems using Python. They're not that easy, however this makes them fun ('cause you're using the computer).

My programming professor says that those are the type of questions you can expect in the ACM Programming Contest.

I've currently completed numbers 1 and 16. I haven't given the site much time recently due to the end of the semester.

If anyone's trying to solve a problem with Python (or matlab, if I can remember some of it), shoot me a line, I should be able to help.
--Modify a blaster for a kid and he'll be entertained for a week. Teach him how to modify blasters and he'll become an engineer--
NERFtastic!
FOAMalicious!
DARTomatic!
--Silly emo kids, go draw yourself a picture--

#6 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 11:54 AM

With pen and paper? Good luck. You might be able to solve some on a TI-83 Graphing Calculator or something similar that supports a tailored version of BASIC, but most of them can't be done on pen and paper unless you want to spend hours doing one.

You just aren't equating fast enough, Rambo. Beside that, my Babbage Engine will out calculate your TI-83 any day! Well, okay, it has to be within a week of changing the oil.
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#7 aetherguy881

aetherguy881

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 12:27 PM

Well, you can solve them on the bus. You can design the program and get it ready to just plug into the computer.

Or you could play computer and spend gratuitous amounts of time only to find that you have an error. and have to start over.

How many problems have you guys solved so far? Like I mentioned I've solved 2 (1 and 16).
--Modify a blaster for a kid and he'll be entertained for a week. Teach him how to modify blasters and he'll become an engineer--
NERFtastic!
FOAMalicious!
DARTomatic!

#8 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 01:21 PM

How many problems have you guys solved so far? Like I mentioned I've solved 2 (1 and 16).

I've done four problems - 1, 2, 6 and 16. All done in Java.

Next up: #48.

Edited by Rambo, 09 December 2008 - 02:49 PM.

#9 Crankymonky

Crankymonky

It's The Dean!

• Members
  • 687 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 03:59 PM

I did 1,2, and 5 last night. I started 48. It is all set up except for one issue with floating points.

Not sure how much more time I'll be putting in to them until the semester is over. However, the next ones I'm looking at doing are: 48, 6, 4, (maybe 16 and 20), 13, 17 (seems fun), and the sudoku solving algorithm. For most of these I have a concept of how I'll write the program. I also intend to do the cryptography one soon as well as a few prime number ones.

I've been using Java as a way to re-familiarize myself with it as I may resume work on a research project where the simulation was written in Java.

I've also thought about using Perl or Python as I'm debating starting to teach myself one of those two in the new year.

Rambo and I had an interesting conversation on how to solve some of them last night.
Tyranny Response Team

#10 aetherguy881

aetherguy881

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 05:16 PM

Python is really easy and really fun. I'm kinda upset that we had the final today. I'd like to know more about it. Yes I can teach myself, but it won't be the same. I'm gonna miss that class.

I was going to do 2, but I never got around to finishing it...
NERFtastic!
FOAMalicious!
DARTomatic!

#11 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 02:41 AM

You can post a link to your profile if you want like:

http://projecteuler.net/index.php?section=profile&profile=eric.deckerspence

by updating the profile= to your own login name ( the above is mine ).

#12 aetherguy881

aetherguy881

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 08:25 AM

Well then, here's my profile link.

http://projecteuler....le=aetherguy881

Edited by aetherguy881, 10 December 2008 - 08:25 AM.

NERFtastic!
FOAMalicious!
DARTomatic!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users