The Dark Knight

LEGENDARY

92 replies to this topic

#26 slowguitarman

slowguitarman

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 06:26 PM

I have to agree that she is always pretty ugly, but she looked very ugly in the Dark Knight. Much more so than usual. Katie Holmes is much better looking, but she is too busy with scientology to bother with batman.
Your dreams were tight like a baby

SGM's Shred Shop -Mod Service

NerfHaven's resident drama queen.

#27 zaphodB

zaphodB

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 06:32 PM

And now I make the obligatory "Quit complaining, it's not like you wouldn't do her if you had the chance" comment. Really now. Whining about the sexiness of some young, attractive movie star is like complaining about the paint on a corvette. Shut the fuck up, it's a corvette, who gives a shit what color it is, I'm sure it still rides better than anything you're driving.
Alice came to the fork in the road.
"Which road do I take?" she asked.
"Where do you want to go?" responded the Cheshire cat.
"I don't know," Alice answered.
"Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

#28 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 07:27 PM

Not to mention Holmes' acting never developed past the WB teen television series stage.

You can poop in my toilet anytime champ.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#29 slowguitarman

slowguitarman

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 10:21 PM

And now I make the obligatory "Quit complaining, it's not like you wouldn't do her if you had the chance" comment. Really now. Whining about the sexiness of some young, attractive movie star is like complaining about the paint on a corvette. Shut the fuck up, it's a corvette, who gives a shit what color it is, I'm sure it still rides better than anything you're driving.

I just have to do this. No. Color on a corvette doesn't matter. They are pretty sucky in any color. The ride is terrible, in my opinion, and I wouldn't ride her. I have my reasons. Other than the ugliness.
Your dreams were tight like a baby

SGM's Shred Shop -Mod Service

NerfHaven's resident drama queen.

#30 sputnik

sputnik

• Members
  • 911 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 11:30 PM

Ambience 327,
My problem with Fox's deal was that to fight the Joker, fire needed to be fought with fire.
I don't know, it seemed pretty ridiculous to me.
Also, I loved how dark it was.
tcambre on IRC.

<3

#31 Thomas

Thomas

• Members
  • 448 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 12:25 PM

I loved the movie, but the chick looked like she could have played Voldemort. She has a snake-like face. One of my favorite aspects of the movie is how the Joker was played, how he never got angry, which I guess is how it's supposed to be. I never was a fan of DC, but they've done a great job with Batman.

Edited by Thomas, 28 July 2008 - 12:26 PM.

#32 g-force

g-force

• Members
  • 345 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 01:14 PM

I just saw the movie; it was great.
although apparently the actor who played the joker also played Sir. Ulrich Lichtenstein in a knights tale.

Edited by g-force, 28 July 2008 - 01:14 PM.

QUOTE(Carbon @ Jul 28 2008, 03:25 AM) View Post

My god, you actually built it. To that, all I can say is, "bravo".

Chubbs

#33 Kuhlschrank

Kuhlschrank

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 02:13 PM

I just saw it on Saturday in IMAX.

This was the first movie that I completely enjoyed in YEARS.

The Joker performance was one of the best I have seen in any movie.

*SPOILERS* but you shouldn't be reading this thread if you're worried about that

His corruption and manipulation of both the best and worst of Gotham's citizens was perfect and flawless.
Despite being a complete sociopath, he was never out of control of what was going on. Regardless of how Batman/Dent/Gordon reacted, he stayed a step ahead, even when he was being captured at the end of the movie.

Having not read the comics and basically treating the Joker as a brand new character, (I knew Jack Nicholson's Joker was right out the window from the first 2 minutes of the movie) never learning the truth behind his origins made him that much scarier, since you don't sympathize with the character and are truly terrified by him.

The truth behind Alfred's statement: "Some people just want to see the world burn." was continually proven right as the Joker escalated his actions with every event, from having his men kill each other, to the murder of the commisioner and the judge, to the destruction of Harvey Dent, to the ferry situation. The lack of loyalty to his partners and the contempt for his enemies futher showed how far gone this character truly was.

Michael Caine has just been great in both movies. "But, I did bloody tell you"

I like Christian Bale not so much for his raw performance, although he was very good in both movies, but that the legend that is Batman overshadows his name, rather than say, George Clooney's name overpowering Batman in the Schumacher series.

I like Morgan Freeman's character, it was good to see someone still maintaining a firm grip on their personal ethics as the world was falling apart around them, though still having the common sense to do what was absolutely necessary. Although you knew that the high-freq mapping device was going to be destroyed as soon as you saw it, it was a clear statement about Big Brother, and it's uses and abuses.

As far as the idiots talking about Maggie Gyllenhall, who gives a shit? If you were going to see a movie for hot chicks, why this one? She is a better actress than Katie Holmes, and she portrayed the character as well as can be expected. I'm not sad that the Rachel Dawes is gone, but she was good for what she was meant to do.

I thought Harvey Dent was pretty good. His manipulation and destruction was well done. I didn't like how Two-face reminded me of the Terminator, I guess that they couldn't find a good way to factor acid into the movie (They didn't need to burn off his face, just scar the skin badly).

I love Gary Oldman as Commissioner Gordon, and I am very happy that they kept him around, although I couldn't see how they could leave him dead. He just seems to be a very natural fit for that role.

The action scenes were very well done and didn't incorporate as much of the jerky camera movements that have seemed to crop up in recent films(very good thing). Flipping the semi was pretty damn awesome, as was the use of the Skyhook in Hong Kong.

IMAX kicks ass.

Definitely buying this as soon as it comes out on DVD.
+Kuhlschrank+ of the ~Lawnchair Mafia~

#34 Ccapogreca

Ccapogreca

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 02:32 PM

It was alright. I wasn't a fan of the first one, so I really didn't think this one was that much better. I did love Jokers performance, thats the only reason I wanted to see it anyway.
It wasn't a good batman movie, but it was a good movie.
QUOTE(keef @ Oct 25 2007, 05:41 PM) View Post

Grow a penis and say it to his face. Hes a bodybuilder and would eat you for breakfast.

#35 sam

sam

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 03:16 PM

It was alright. I wasn't a fan of the first one, so I really didn't think this one was that much better. I did love Jokers performance, thats the only reason I wanted to see it anyway.

How was this not a good Batman movie?
I've seen it 3 times already and it hasn't lost anything in terms of how awesome it is as both a Batman movie and a good film in general.

Edited by sam, 28 July 2008 - 03:17 PM.

#36 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 03:17 PM

Ok, what exactly would you want in a "good" batman movie? As a pretty avid comic book fan (though admitedly not nearly as well read as I'd like) I found this movie to be a near perfect adaptation of the mythos to the reality Nolan has created. Was it frame for frame out of the comic? No, it wasn't supposed to be. Does that doom any comic book movie? No, not unless it has no merits aside from it's printed roots. I'm genuinely curious as to why you thought the batman was misrepresented.

VACC

#37 SirTofu

SirTofu

• Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 03:47 PM

Shit, don't feed the trolls. Go back to your cave, sir.
Nobody online Nerfs in the SE :(

#38 Lion

Lion

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 04:39 PM

I don't get why the "batman voice" bothered so many people, I mean come on that's ripped right off the pages of the comic book!!!!(though it some times is described more of a deep clint eastwood voice)

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!

Did anyone else see that the scarecrow was dressed as a cop on the jail boat near the end?

Edited by Lion, 28 July 2008 - 04:41 PM.

#39 Bomberman

Bomberman

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 04:46 PM

I saw this on Saturday night, and it is now probably my favorite movie of all time. That's how much I loved this movie. I really liked the Semi-Truck chase; it was probably my favorite part. And Heath Ledger did some of the best acting I have ever seen as the Joker. (Keep in mind, I'm only 14.) I think adding the scars to make a "smile" was a great idea. The part where he "made the pencil disappear" was a great trick too. There were just so many great elements to the movie.
QUOTE(silentsnipe) View Post

It's not like that. I put lube on it and its the same. Its just stuck. And when I cock it back it goes farther back then usual. Also I push as hard as I can and it wont go back in. I've tried the methods and they wont work. Also pics are up.

#40 Ccapogreca

Ccapogreca

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 09:11 PM

Ok, what exactly would you want in a "good" batman movie? As a pretty avid comic book fan (though admitedly not nearly as well read as I'd like) I found this movie to be a near perfect adaptation of the mythos to the reality Nolan has created. Was it frame for frame out of the comic? No, it wasn't supposed to be. Does that doom any comic book movie? No, not unless it has no merits aside from it's printed roots. I'm genuinely curious as to why you thought the batman was misrepresented.

VACC

Sorry I just thought it wasn't a good Batman movie. It was more modernized than I wanted. It made it feel like this could really happen in our universe. Its supposed to feel like the batman universe, which it didn't. I'm not really sure how to describe it.

I just didn't think it was that great. I'm entitled to my own opinion, and I'm sticking with it. I watched it for one reason, and I enjoyed it for that reason, I just didn't care for the rest.

Edited by Ccapogreca, 28 July 2008 - 09:13 PM.

QUOTE(keef @ Oct 25 2007, 05:41 PM) View Post

Grow a penis and say it to his face. Hes a bodybuilder and would eat you for breakfast.

#41 Lion

Lion

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 09:28 PM

Sorry I just thought it wasn't a good Batman movie. It was more modernized than I wanted. It made it feel like this could really happen in our universe. Its supposed to feel like the batman universe, which it didn't. I'm not really sure how to describe it.

I just didn't think it was that great. I'm entitled to my own opinion, and I'm sticking with it. I watched it for one reason, and I enjoyed it for that reason, I just didn't care for the rest.

These past two movies have been the closest to the batman comics of any of the batman movies.......ever..........just thought I'd throw that out there for you.

#42 joeyaglr444

joeyaglr444

• Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 09:45 PM

The Dark Knight
was Flawless...

Tim Burtons batman movies were great too.
The other ones with all the jazzy lights....not my fancy.
Boys Become Men....Men Become Wolves

Blaffair to Rememblack.

#43 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 10:07 PM

Yes, you're entitled to your opinion, I just thought I'd give you the opportunity support that opinion before everyone else freaked out.

As far as wanting it to be closer to the comics, I think you're barking up the wrong tree. The movie may not have been a carbon copy of any particular story arc, but it captured the spirit of the mythos pretty dead on. Given, Batman is a very old character with a wide breadth of different writers and feels over the years, and this may not have been based on your favorite version. However, I think that only further strengthens my argument. To ask that Nolan reproduce the precise story arc or the feel of your particular favorite batman scribe is an unrealistic demand. Nolan made the story his own as the best comic book writers have been doing for years. Just look at the influences he used to see my point. Batman begins was Heavily influenced by arguably the most influential batman writer ever in Frank Miller (Year One, Dark Knight Returns) and was VERY faithful to his tone. Dark Knight took a lot of it's themes from similar work by Miller and Loeb, but was very heavily influenced (mostly in terms of the dynamic between batman and joker) by The Killing Joke which just so happened to be written by arguably the greatest comic book writer the medium has ever known (though not my personal opinion) in Alan Moore.

To say that it didn't follow the comics enough, to me, implies that you were expecting Nolan to take his screenplay right out of a trade paperback. Personally, I prefer he honor the spirit of the character and make a fantastic film, rather then honor the letter of the books while sacrificing his own art.

You're entitled to your opinion. And so am I.

#44 Ambience 327

Ambience 327

• Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 09:30 AM

It takes a Batman movie to bring out the eloquent, well-spoken side in VACC rather than his normally gruff, ban-hammer wielding self. Who knew?

VACC - That was one of the best-worded defenses of the filmmaker's perogative I've ever heard. I also have to agree with pretty much everything you said in your above post about the "spirit" of Batman, or any comic book hero with a long history for that matter. Also, I think you like Batman more than anyone I've ever encountered...

...won't Ice be jealous?

Edited by Ambience 327, 29 July 2008 - 09:33 AM.

Foam in the Fort IV
The fourth exciting Nerf War in Fort Wayne, IN.

#45 Crimmy

Crimmy

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 09:37 AM

It's weird how i felt that the joker and two face were the only characters that were interesting. I felt that batman was to much of a jock at highschool type. But with two face and joker you could tell their emotions and how they acted displayed what they were feeling.

Also, am i the only one whose depressed that we won't see heath ledger as joker again? after i saw the movie i was pretty pissed.

#46 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 09:44 AM

...won't Ice be jealous?

He can never know!!!

#47 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 10:26 AM

So, thoughts on another sequel? I hear a lot of talk about how Nolan wants to stay away from super powers, but he managed to write a Ra's al Ghul that never crossed the line into the supernatural. I'm more inclined to think he'd try to avoid the recurring theme of mental disorder that pervades the Batman mythos. He's also going to avoid any villains that are inherently gimmicky or campy. So that eliminates the ventriloquist and penguin, respectively. I think he could probably pull off Ridler as some kind of serial killer or something, or maybe an arrogant and crooked private investigator (as he is currently portrayed in the comics), but I'm not sure that would even be worth the effort. He's just not a very deep character. Black mask or Bane could fit the theme of organized crime with a twist. Lastly, they could always portray Pam Isley as some kind of eco-terrorist. My moneys on Catwoman through, considering the aforementioned foreshadowing.

It's really a shame about Ledger though. Now that he's gone, if Nolan even makes another movie he's probably going to want to avoid Arkham Asylum altogether. A plot centered around the revolving doors at Arkham could have been good, especially considering the opportunity to introduce troubled psychologist Harleen Quinzel.

Edited by Langley, 29 July 2008 - 10:28 AM.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#48 Crimmy

Crimmy

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 11:41 AM

In many of the interviews they have said since they can't have the joker that they'll have The Riddler. I have no idea how they will do that because if they want to keep them realistic The Riddler isn't really the best choice. nor is posion ivy or mr freeze.

#49 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 12:14 PM

In many of the interviews they have said since they can't have the joker that they'll have The Riddler. I have no idea how they will do that because if they want to keep them realistic The Riddler isn't really the best choice. nor is posion ivy or mr freeze.

The Riddler isn't any less realistic than the scarecrow or Ra's al Ghul. I'm sure if he were determined, Nolan could come up with a Nolanized interpretation of any batman villan he wants. The only opponent you can absolutely rule out is Superman. Which is a shame, because there's nothing I love more than seeing a de-powered Supes get clocked by a kryptonite-ring wearing batman.

You could easily include Poison Ivy as an eco-terrorist/vigilante who's planning to release some sort of toxin as retribution for all of the pollution Gotham has created over the years. At her core, Pam isn't defined by her powers over plants, but by her opinion that the survival of rare plant species is more important than human lives. There are real people out there who think like that. Sometimes I worry I might be dating one of them...

And Mr. Freeze is just a scientist short on funding who's trying to cure his wife. He doesn't have to carry around a ridiculous freeze ray, just like two face doesn't have to be an organized crime boss and the joker doesn't have to have been submerged in acid and permanently clown-faced.

Edited by Langley, 29 July 2008 - 12:18 PM.

2016 Nerf War Schedule

#50 Crimmy

Crimmy

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 01:40 PM

Two-Face. It was widely believed that Two-Face would be the villain of the third installment. David Goyer, who penned Batman Begins and helped on The Dark Knight, had said that the Joker would disfigure Harvey Dent, aka Two-Face, in the third film. But we now know that Dent's disfigurement occurs in Dark Knight. And, of course, he dies at the end. (There is speculation on how and why he might still be alive. See: this FAQ entry.)

The Joker. Asked about whether the Joker would appear again (which would require the role to be recast), Christopher Nolan said, "I don't know. I honestly have not taken a moment away from what is going on with the film now to even think about that. I don't know. I simply don't know." [source needed] It has been rumored by an unconfirmed source that there is some extra footage of Heath Ledger's Joker that can be used in the next sequel.

The Riddler. In an interview with Movie Hole, Gary Oldman said, "Maybe we don't need the Joker. Because we'll have The Riddler."

There has been speculation on the web that that either Coleman Reese (or Mister Reese - "Mysteries", played by Joshua Harto) or Mike Engel (played by Anthony Michael Hall) might turn into the Riddler, although neither character has the traditional origin or the characteristics of the comic books' Riddler. In most incarnations, his name is Edward Nigma (E. Nigma).

In one of the newspapers released with the viral marketing, there is a 'letter to the editor' that is authored by Edward Nashton, a common alias of the Riddler.

The Catwoman. There is one point where Lucius Fox and Batman are discussing the new Bat-suit. Batman makes a comment about the strength of the suit, asking if it would be able to protect him from large dogs. Lucius says it should protect him from "cats"--a possible reference to Catwoman.

The Scarecrow. Some fans were disappointed about the Scarecrow's small role in the film. But he does survive the movie, which means he could return with a larger role in the third film.

The Black Mask. David Goyer has expressed a desire to use a villain that has not received previous film treatment. [source of statement needed] The news has put Roman Sionis/The Black Mask on the list of possibilities.

The Mad Hatter. There has been online speculation that Jervis Tetch (alias the Mad Hatter) makes a brief appearance in The Dark Knight, though this name is never used in the movie or in the credits. David Dastmalchian, who is supposedly playing Tetch, is simply billed as "Joker's thug."

The Penguin. Christopher Nolan has said that the Penguin is too "campy" a character for use in the reinvented Batman series. [source of statement needed]

The Calculator. During Rachel's interrogation of Lau, he makes numerous references to his "calculations being accurate." There is a DC villain that originated in early Batman runs known as The Calculator, who began as a campy low-level villain (complete with an over-the-top outfit), only to ditch the costume and lurk behind the scenes. In recent years, and in pivotal DC storylines, The Calculator is an integral part of the criminal underworld, particularly involved in financing criminals and providing information to the world's supervillains. This could be plausible, although Lau is seemingly burned alive as the Joker lights the large pyramid of cash on fire.

Talia Ghul. The daughter of Ra's Al Ghul could seek revenge on Batman for killing her father or perhaps try and carry out his plan for destroying Gotham.

Ra's Al Ghul. Henri Ducard, whom we discover is actually Ra's Al Ghul in Batman Begins, is killed in the train crash at the end of the film. Ra's Al Ghul is an immortal in the comic books. While Nolan's series seems to shun the supernatural, there's no reason that a new villain, believing himself to be the reincarnation of Ra's Al Ghul, couldn't arrive on the scene.

Harley Quinn. She is the psychiatrist who works at Arkham Asylum and tries to treat the Joker; but she winds up falling in love with him and becoming his girlfriend/sidekick. If the Joker returns (played by a different actor), she is a strong contender.

Poison Ivy. She may be too unrealistic for this series. But her origin and abilities can always be altered.

Mr. Freeze. See Poison Ivy.

Sal Maroni. It is believed that if Dent survived the car wreck in The Dark Knight, then Maroni could have as well.

That's just what some people of wrote down.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users