I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#27 nerfsharpie6

nerfsharpie6

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 12:32 PM

How large are the gears then? I have yet to see any internals on this beast so I don't know how large anything is. If they break then you can probably make replacements from metal, increasing the ability to handle stress. I would also reinforce areas where they take the most wear.

FA_24: For the most part this isn't a concept thread. Its a legitimate idea that (I assume) the kid is going to do. It just sounds like the Airsoft batteries are the concept.
We hang our flags and banners of victory off of your dead bodies.

#28 tatertotguy

tatertotguy

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 12:48 PM

I was thinking that you could set up some type of pill box or bunker with a lookout to call the shots like a loser team and they could cover you while you reload. The whole premise of the plug and shoot was if you were in an indoor war you could use the extension cord if the batteries went dead as a failsafe.

What the heck someone fricked with my post it originally said $niper team!!! Every time I go to write the word $niper it changes it to loser?

Edited by tatertotguy, 25 July 2008 - 12:49 PM.

"So thats when she says, 'No that's my belly button'."

#29 Quilan Fett

Quilan Fett

• Members
  • 678 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 12:50 PM

I was thinking that you could set up some type of pill box or bunker with a lookout to call the shots like a loser team and they could cover you while you reload. The whole premise of the plug and shoot was if you were in an indoor war you could use the extension cord if the batteries went dead as a failsafe.

What the heck someone fricked with my post it originally said $niper team!!! Every time I go to write the word $niper it changes it to loser?

You're new here, right?
SNAP Shotgun

This guy can see the future!

QUOTE(pokemaster @ Mar 3 2009, 04:18 PM) View Post

hasbro in a nerf war!!!!! dude the will cancel it and confinscate are guns

#30 tatertotguy

tatertotguy

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 12:51 PM

When I recieve my Vulcan I will by a 9v. transformer and e-tape the wires to the battery terminals just to see if it will work before I destroy the internal wireing by trying to parralel wire it.

#31 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 12:53 PM

What I find more disturbing is the fact that you just said "heck". What, are you gay?

#32 Bomberman

Bomberman

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 12:54 PM

I can't wait till I can get it in a couple months. I have like 4 or 5 4000 LiPo RC Battery Packs that I don't use anymore, so those will be great for the Vulcan. I used them for a 15t Motor on an RC car before they did'nt hold enough charge anymore for what I wanted, but they will hold plenty for this thing.
QUOTE(silentsnipe) View Post

It's not like that. I put lube on it and its the same. Its just stuck. And when I cock it back it goes farther back then usual. Also I push as hard as I can and it wont go back in. I've tried the methods and they wont work. Also pics are up.

#33 slowguitarman

slowguitarman

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 01:10 PM

What I find more disturbing is the fact that you just said "heck". What, are you gay?

Using the word "heck" makes you gay? That is like saying that liking oranges makes you a serial killer. Any gay guy that I've ever met uses more curse words than most straight guys.
Your dreams were tight like a baby

SGM's Shred Shop -Mod Service

NerfHaven's resident drama queen.

#34 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 01:58 PM

Using the word "heck" makes you gay? That is like saying that liking oranges makes you a serial killer. Any gay guy that I've ever met uses more curse words than most straight guys.

Clearly a gay man's rationalization.

#35 Nate2

Nate2

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 02:13 PM

Maybe he's just not allowed to use foul language, like me.

Edited by Nate#2, 25 July 2008 - 02:17 PM.

"How long is it supposed to be?"

You got a problem with me? You take it up with me directly.

#36 slowguitarman

slowguitarman

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 02:23 PM

Maybe he's just not allowed to use foul language, like me.

Or maybe I don't feel the need to use foolish words in order to express myself. I heard once that profanity is the feeble effort of a weak mind trying to express itself forcefully, and I couldn't have put it better myself.
Your dreams were tight like a baby

SGM's Shred Shop -Mod Service

NerfHaven's resident drama queen.

#37 Ambience 327

Ambience 327

• Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 02:46 PM

While I agree with you in principal - is there really much difference, given your rational for not swearing, between saying/typing heck or frick, and saying/typing the words you are using them to replace? You could just as easily say:

I don't understand, someone altered my post it originally said $niper team!!! Every time I go to write the word $niper it changes it to loser?

That way, there are no "foolish words" at all, and your "weak mind" would not in any way be making a "feeble effort" to "express itself forcefully."
Foam in the Fort IV
The fourth exciting Nerf War in Fort Wayne, IN.

#38 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 02:59 PM

Or maybe I don't feel the need to use foolish words in order to express myself. I heard once that profanity is the feeble effort of a weak mind trying to express itself forcefully, and I couldn't have put it better myself.

For the love of god, it was a joke. Your inability to comprehend this says more about your intelligence than any misguided attempt to belittle me ever could. Now I suggest you let the thread resume and fagg it up in silence before it becomes clear to me that a quarantine is neccessary. Can't have you leaving KY stains all over the site.

#39 Kazimir

Kazimir

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 03:08 PM

My dad is an electritian and he says if you get a 9v. transformer you can wire up the Vulcan so all you have to do is plug it in and shoot. I am also thinking of the possibility of having this be removable so you can take the transformer out and convert it back to battery power.

So, some nomenclature:

What you're talking about is not a transformer, but a power supply, and then you are correct.

The trouble with using a transformer (which is just a matched pair of coils) is that there is no rectification of AC to DC. the Vulcan runs on DC - running it on AC has the potential to seriously damage it.

So something that you could in fact do is use a 120VAC-9VAC transformer, and a piece of electronics called a "bridge rectifier" which is in fact simply four diodes which chop the AC waveform into an all-positive set of humps, and a capacitor to smooth that waveform out to something closely approximating steady-state DC.

#40 tatertotguy

tatertotguy

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 03:37 PM

My dad is an electritian and he says if you get a 9v. transformer you can wire up the Vulcan so all you have to do is plug it in and shoot. I am also thinking of the possibility of having this be removable so you can take the transformer out and convert it back to battery power.

So, some nomenclature:

What you're talking about is not a transformer, but a power supply, and then you are correct.

The trouble with using a transformer (which is just a matched pair of coils) is that there is no rectification of AC to DC. the Vulcan runs on DC - running it on AC has the potential to seriously damage it.

So something that you could in fact do is use a 120VAC-9VAC transformer, and a piece of electronics called a "bridge rectifier" which is in fact simply four diodes which chop the AC waveform into an all-positive set of humps, and a capacitor to smooth that waveform out to something closely approximating steady-state DC.

That is a good idea and if you really wanted to get fancy you could attach a photovoltaic panel (solar panel) to it for unlimited power or even attach a mini wind turbine.

Here is a picture of how a bridge rectifier works:
Posted Image

Edited by tatertotguy, 25 July 2008 - 03:48 PM.

#41 Kazimir

Kazimir

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 03:59 PM

So, some nomenclature:

That is a good idea and if you really wanted to get fancy you could attach a photovoltaic panel (solar panel) to it for unlimited power or even attach a mini wind turbine.

Here is a picture of how a bridge rectifier works:
Posted Image

Yes, that's how a bridge rectifier works. The zigzag in the center of the diamond-shape is a resistor, and represents your load. in this case, it represents the Vulcan.

A PV of the size necessary to supply enough current would be... pretty large. And expensive. While it would be a good idea, because voltage output of a PV is directly proportional to light incident upon the surface, it's not going to be particularly constant - even if you want to lug around a solar panel large enough to feed your Vulcan.

#42 tatertotguy

tatertotguy

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 04:12 PM

I was being optomistic about the options we can use to power the Vulcan.

#43 TheNERFArmageddon

TheNERFArmageddon

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 05:35 PM

I like the idea, but SHOW US HOW! I'm not an electrician and i don't wanna wreck a $40 gun. Thanks...
If at first you don't succeed,
Don't try skydiving.

--Warren Miller

#44 tatertotguy

tatertotguy

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 01:38 PM

When I get my Vulcan in the mail I will first do basic mods then carefully move on to other forms of power.

#45 spandxbunny

spandxbunny

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 09:47 PM

Hey, I'm just saying if we're just throwing out ideas here willy nilly. We need to get on top of a motion sensor for this imaginary plug-in Vulcan. Plug it in carefully walk away next guy walks up... blamo! No one expects the manless gun.

#46 analogkid

analogkid

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 10:35 PM

Hey, I'm just saying if we're just throwing out ideas here willy nilly. We need to get on top of a motion sensor for this imaginary plug-in Vulcan. Plug it in carefully walk away next guy walks up... blamo! No one expects the manless gun.

Relay+Phototransistor=Vulcan that turns on when the lights do.

Edited by analogkid, 28 July 2008 - 09:38 AM.

#47 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 09:32 AM

That is actually a very funny, very feasible idea. Oh wow. That could be a lot of fun.
Teehee.

#48 Kazimir

Kazimir

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 10:12 AM

That is actually a very funny, very feasible idea. Oh wow. That could be a lot of fun.

My coworker and I have started work on this, using an Arduino co run pan/tilt servomotors and trigger solenoid. More when it's integrated into the Vulcan itself, as right now it is nothing but code for a microcontroller.

#49 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 11:04 AM

My coworker and I have started work on this, using an Arduino co run pan/tilt servomotors and trigger solenoid. More when it's integrated into the Vulcan itself, as right now it is nothing but code for a microcontroller.

You shouldn't even need that. Come to think of it, I could make this right now. Wow, gotta love my supplies box. Will work on it today then.
Teehee.

#50 Kazimir

Kazimir

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 01:21 PM

You shouldn't even need that. Come to think of it, I could make this right now. Wow, gotta love my supplies box. Will work on it today then.

Indeed, you don't need that, if all you want to do is turn on the firing mechanism when motion is detected.

The idea with using the microcontroller is to raise the Vulcan or traverse it from side to side in order to track a target, autonomously. Think "sentry gun" and you get the idea.

It's true that you can do this without a microcontroller, but that's a whole lot more analog design than I have the chops for.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users