Ls Help Plz?

I messed mine up a wee bit

15 replies to this topic

#1 Bullshit Dragon

Bullshit Dragon

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 04:14 AM

Okay, so I was doing a front gun integration mod, blah blah blah, the keyring pull trigger worked well on it, but i hit a snag with the bondo I was using. Apparently it didn't do it's job correctly and my front gun mod detached when I pulled the keyring a little too hard. So now I'm stuck with bondo on the front of my LS and I'm reluctant to take a saw to it. If you guys have any advice at all, I'd LOVE to hear it because this is frustrating as hell.

Also, could you guys tell me (and maybe CaptainSlug would know more about this) is vinyl dye works on bondo too, because the pink bondo on my LS is driving me crazy.
Gimme back my bullets....

#2 OfAllTheNerf

OfAllTheNerf

• Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 05:49 AM

First of all bondo isn't meant to be a strong adhesive. It's meant for body work, but not actually holding things together. You could just saw it off or sand it off, whatever suits you. If you're going to use bondo again it doesn't really matter-- Just glue the front gun on again and then put bondo over that.

I don't know much about vinyl dye though.

-OfAll'
[color=#FF6600][Finesse]-[BitchX]

#3 Bullshit Dragon

Bullshit Dragon

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 11:35 AM

okay, so I did a little work on my LS today and I got most of the bondo off, but I couldn't get it all because I'm worried about damaging the front shell beyond what I did to make it front-gun accessible. I also did an AR removal and spring replacement (that was a while ago) I was looking at the remaining barrel from the extension and I was wondering if it was worth it to make it so the long barrel will fit in the gun (I was thinking of making it detachable for short range, then putting it on for accuracy purposes at long range)

#4 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 12:14 PM

Vinyl dye only works on compatible plastics, and bondo is not made of plastic. Super glue (cyanoacrylite) is the only adhesive it can recolor.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 07 May 2008 - 12:15 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#5 slowguitarman

slowguitarman

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 12:19 PM

Vinyl dye only works on compatible plastics, and bondo is not made of plastic. Super glue (cyanoacrylite) is the only adhesive it can recolor.

How did it work on F_a24's lancer? He had bondo on it, and he used vinyl dye. Is that what the bondo glazing was for?
Your dreams were tight like a baby

SGM's Shred Shop -Mod Service

NerfHaven's resident drama queen.

#6 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 01:33 PM

okay, so I did a little work on my LS today and I got most of the bondo off, but I couldn't get it all because I'm worried about damaging the front shell beyond what I did to make it front-gun accessible. I also did an AR removal and spring replacement (that was a while ago) I was looking at the remaining barrel from the extension and I was wondering if it was worth it to make it so the long barrel will fit in the gun (I was thinking of making it detachable for short range, then putting it on for accuracy purposes at long range)

That barrel won't do anything for your accuracy. Neither of the two even touch the dart; they are purely for cosmetics. Unless you want to do an Angel Breech and nest a brass barrel in the stock one, it isn't worth it.
The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

Founder of the Shadow Militia.
Founder of Nightshade Laboratories and The Nightshade Armament Corporation.

#7 Shadowblade

Shadowblade

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 07:18 PM

If you ever do integrations, attachments, etc., maybe you should use epoxy or some other stronger adhesive. Those are much more permanent.
Proverbs says, "The wise man doth not shoot the Viking in the ding ding for he shall pummel thee."

But you can totally shoot Vacc there, he loves it!

~Talio

#8 Bullshit Dragon

Bullshit Dragon

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 11:28 AM

okay, after some further work last night on both pieces of the gun (the LS itself and the front gun) I managed to get ALL the bondo off with A LOT of sanding. Christ was that a mess... anyway, I once again have clean pieces. Now, how would I best assemble them again? I was thinking hot gluing them then bondoing over that, what do you guys think?

#9 slowguitarman

slowguitarman

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 12:10 PM

okay, after some further work last night on both pieces of the gun (the LS itself and the front gun) I managed to get ALL the bondo off with A LOT of sanding. Christ was that a mess... anyway, I once again have clean pieces. Now, how would I best assemble them again? I was thinking hot gluing them then bondoing over that, what do you guys think?

I think it has been said before. If not in this thread, it has been said in many, many others. You should use JB Kwik, JB Weld or some other type of two part epoxy. You can sand it down and make it as pretty as bondo, but it will be stronger than bondo or hot glue. If there is a ton of dead space that needs filled, you can use epoxy to gold the pieces together and then bondo over it to make it prettier.

#10 Bullshit Dragon

Bullshit Dragon

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 08:41 PM

I think it has been said before. If not in this thread, it has been said in many, many others. You should use JB Kwik, JB Weld or some other type of two part epoxy. You can sand it down and make it as pretty as bondo, but it will be stronger than bondo or hot glue. If there is a ton of dead space that needs filled, you can use epoxy to gold the pieces together and then bondo over it to make it prettier.

I'll keep that in mind. Where would JB Kwik be best obtained? I checked at my local home center (Menards) and didn't see it at all.

#11 slowguitarman

slowguitarman

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 09:14 PM

I'll keep that in mind. Where would JB Kwik be best obtained? I checked at my local home center (Menards) and didn't see it at all.

I don't know why, but I normally can't get it at home improvement type stores. I have to get it from Wal Mart.

Edited by slowguitarman, 09 May 2008 - 01:26 AM.

#12 Bullshit Dragon

Bullshit Dragon

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 11:11 PM

I hit another snag today when I was working this mod. Well... two actually. The first is that when I was doing some dinking around, I snapped the spring-hook off the dart-tooth, is this something that can be recovered from? The next is that while trying to remove the AR from the front gun. I broke the super glue they'd used to seal it in place. I got the AR out, but it won't fire anymore. Is it possible to fix this?

#13 Kid Flash

Kid Flash

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 05:22 AM

I hit another snag today when I was working this mod. Well... two actually. The first is that when I was doing some dinking around, I snapped the spring-hook off the dart-tooth, is this something that can be recovered from? The next is that while trying to remove the AR from the front gun. I broke the super glue they'd used to seal it in place. I got the AR out, but it won't fire anymore. Is it possible to fix this?

1 hot glue the spring to the piece at the bottom.
2 reglue it.

#14 Shrub

Shrub

• Banned
  • 862 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 02:34 PM

Did you bore out the air restrictor or just take it out.
Favorite Quotes:
Sorry to hear that man, it's like that one famous bumper sticker, "Shit Happens"
it still seems that your balls drop very rapidly

#15 dooda

dooda

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 10:02 PM

1. Super glue :blink: check
2. Duck tape B) check
3. Paint :D check
That is the soultion for everything in my book.

Edited by dooda, 16 May 2008 - 10:03 PM.

Galaxy613 - Nerf Longshot:$20 Random Pipeing and Knobs: $10 Paint: $15 Getting someone to buy it for $450: Priceless. Screwing people over is priceless, for everything else theres Mastercard

#16 Bullshit Dragon

Bullshit Dragon

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 02:11 AM

Did you bore out the air restrictor or just take it out.

I kinda did both... I bored out the back of the barrel to take out the spring and I used it like that for a while, then I accidentally broke it while taking out the AR and it won't shoot.

On a side note, I did fix the dart-tooth spring with a knife to fashion a new spring hook, then I hooked it and glued it with some hot glue. It works pretty well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users