Photo

Net Gun

19 replies to this topic

#1 nerfexcess

nerfexcess

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 09:39 AM

Okay, I am working on a mini net gun, for use to stop bullets in mid-flight, and also after that, I can run and grab the bullets the net hit. My question is, would 3 reactors be enough power to launch it a few feet? Because thats what I plan to use. I have the FULL intention of making this work, I'm getting the reactors this week.

Edit: DARTS!! Sorry about that.

Edited by nerfexcess, 10 May 2008 - 01:18 PM.

"No-one's gonna serve you happiness on a silver platter.....oo-OOO-oo COOKIES!!"- Spongebob!!

"Which one am I Brain?"
"The fundamentally useless and stupid one, Pinky" - Pinky & the Brain

#2 Swords

Swords

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 09:43 AM

Well, something like that would probably work 5% of the time. I think you would rather shoot a gun at the person you shot it at you and dodge the one coming. But if it makes you happy, go ahead and do it. I don't know if 3 reactors would have enough power. It depends on what your planning to fire.
SuperGeek.

#3 Sleebo

Sleebo

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 09:56 AM

Your going to carry 3 reactors on you??? Ok? Anyways, i do not see a point in this because you probably would be bombarded enough to even use a net. You would, at most, probably being shot at at 5 bullets at once, maybe. If you are trying to stop a magstrike you would block the first 5, maybe, and then other 5 would hit while you're picking up th darts from your net.

If you can perfect it, and reload quickly, AND fire it from a smaller weapon; I'll stand corrected
QUOTE(Predalien_Ro @ Apr 13 2008, 09:58 PM) View Post

QUOTE(Nonsense Man @ Apr 13 2008, 05:48 PM) View Post

Ya FA24 put felt in between the bolt handles and the shell of the gun.

FA24!? is that a grade of felt or something!?

#4 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 10:03 AM

Or instead of using a Nerf blaster to try to catch bullets you could make it apply practically to catching DARTS!

Anyway... If I ever saw you at a war trying to use a dart catching net, I would make it my personal mission all day to make sure you realize it would fail. This is Nerf. Darts fly slow enought o dodge no matter what gun you use (MNNO crossbow headshot got on me non withstanding) but there is no need to try to catch darts with a net.

It wont work, no one would let you use it and the only time it MIGHT be a good idea is if you are doing a bird hunting round in a Nerf war, which won't happen at any war I go to.
Me: Yeah. he beat a hooker
Venom: Haven't we all?

#5 Maeric

Maeric

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 10:08 AM

Um.. A better idea would be to get a 2K or a titan or BBBB and make a four pronged attachment. Then attach four corners of the net to four weighted darts, and then load the barrels, it would go much farther than three reactors, and would cost less ($10-$20 for a BBBB or Titan, as to about $30 for three reactors).
Active on H3Artificer as Halacar. GT: Halacar send me an invite if you wanna forge.
I'm amazing at Forza3! I destroyed the engine of a 2mil C car by downshifting! YAY!
I hate you. And all noobs who are like "OMFG i r liek, glued sh1t 2 shit. jak offf ma ego. NAOW!"

#6 Kanashimi

Kanashimi

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 10:21 AM

Use a net to catch bullets? Good luck, they would either go through the holes, or rip through the material the net is made of. Of wait, you meant darts?

You're probably never gonna use it even if you get it to work.

When you're at a war, are you gonna just carry your netgun around? If so, how are you going to shoot anyone? If you are carrying your nerf gun and someone shoots at you, you would have to pull out your netgun, aim, and shoot. I guarantee you that the darts will hit you way before you finish pulling it out. It's better to take a step or two to your side, and dodge it. Unless you're against Captain Slug's Magstrike 20...

If you ever get that netgun made and actually catch some darts, it may be fun. However, it's not practical.

-Kanashimi

Edited by Kanashimi, 10 May 2008 - 10:21 AM.

#7 nerfexcess

nerfexcess

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 01:27 PM

Maeric: I will try that, 'cause money is tight at my house. Thanks a lot!

Kanashimi: I was going to make it a one handed-type gun (hard to explain how), that way I could use a gun in my left.

This is only somthing FUN to try out, I like doing stuff like that. It is not for use in war unless you can make it have some practical use, such as some gigantic net that goes 50 feet.
"No-one's gonna serve you happiness on a silver platter.....oo-OOO-oo COOKIES!!"- Spongebob!!

"Which one am I Brain?"
"The fundamentally useless and stupid one, Pinky" - Pinky & the Brain

#8 Predalien Ro

Predalien Ro

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 08:55 PM

A net gun? My dad wanted to try making one to catch fish, but he never actually make it. I would think using some sort of potato gun would fling the net better than three reactors, but how you'd get the net to expand is the question. Maybe look up net guns on the internet might help. It would be fun to see if you pull it off man, good luck. :P

Edited by Predalien_Ro, 10 May 2008 - 08:56 PM.

Toilet paper is for your ass, not your nerf gun.
Try craft foam if you want to add cushioning to the handle.

#9 Green-Buckshot

Green-Buckshot

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 09:00 PM

Why not take a Big Salvo, and using PVC Elbows, angle each barrel slightly outwards, using weighted mega-stefans, and some type of course (small holes) netting to make it? You'd have to experiment with the angles of course, but do you see what I'm getting at?
QUOTE(A side of nerf @ May 18 2008, 12:33 PM) View Post

Also, could you post some more revealing pictures?

#10 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 05:13 AM

Stop thinking/planning/talking about such an utterly useless and stupid idea.
It just won't work in a real war. You have barely enough time to dodge the dart as it's coming at you. You definitely do not have enough time to catch it purposefully in mid-air with anything.
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#11 Philote

Philote

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 06:05 AM

Now when you said net gun, i thought of a technique used by ornithologists to catch birds that involves shooting mist nets at a flock.
http://www.pwrc.usgs...unSchematic.gif
Wait, so you've caught thew darts in your net, but then what????? If the person has any sense at all the would just shoot at you the second the net falls...

Edited by Philote, 11 May 2008 - 06:07 AM.

EPH!
What do I wnat for my birthday? The usual, money, a Xbox Game, and a throng of bearded men. You know, the usual stuff.

#12 Captain

Captain

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 08:48 AM

Maybe attaching a net to 6 darts and loading them into a hornet would work, you could use the shotgun button and fire the net.
I don't care what anyone else says, Atom Blasters are fucking awesome.

#13 Swords

Swords

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 08:53 AM

Try a Lacrosse stick.
SuperGeek.

#14 notthedinkus

notthedinkus

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 10:26 PM

If you really have your heart set on making a net gun, then try using a titan to fire bolas to snare someone with. The dart catching idea is impractical, and there is no nerf gun, (that I know of) that can shoot a conventional net big enough to actually capture someone in.
WANTED: Somebody to go back in time
with me. This is not a joke. P.O. Box ***,
Oakview CA 93022. You'll get paid after
we get back. Must bring your own
weapons. Safety not guaranteed. I have
only done this once before.

#15 z80

z80

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 07:55 AM

If you really have your heart set on making a net gun, then try using a titan to fire bolas to snare someone with. The dart catching idea is impractical, and there is no nerf gun, (that I know of) that can shoot a conventional net big enough to actually capture someone in.

Reading is tech. He wants to catch darts, not people.
Its obviously a stupid idea, but I think the best guns to do it with would be a big salvo or a national geographic gun.

#16 Predalien Ro

Predalien Ro

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 09:05 AM

I just looked up net guns on youtube, and they have one, but it's for capturing people. It'd be funny though, using a net gun to capture someone before they could fire off their gun. NOW THAT'S A PRACTICAL IDEA!!!! :( It could provide a new kind of game. :)
Toilet paper is for your ass, not your nerf gun.
Try craft foam if you want to add cushioning to the handle.

#17 dooda

dooda

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 08:08 PM

You could make a net gun to attack people. Use a titan that has four darts on eack edge of the net and sit in a tree waiting for somone to go underneath :ph34r:
Galaxy613 - Nerf Longshot:$20 Random Pipeing and Knobs: $10 Paint: $15 Getting someone to buy it for $450: Priceless. Screwing people over is priceless, for everything else theres Mastercard

#18 themilkman

themilkman

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 01:41 AM

Here's my idea on a net gun/coupler attachment:

The coupler:
Make a quad-barrel mod for the nerf gun of your choosing by taking a big (idk the diameter)inch to 1/2inch reducer and place 4 barrels around a central barrel(a little bigger than 1/2inch so you can stuff the net into it) like so:
__O
O O O (these should fit inside the reducer and then the reducer should be able to couple onto a nerf gun)
__O

You are going to plug the back of the center barrel and then glue/set all of the barrels in the reducer but before you do wrap the front part of the central barrel with electrical tape and put all 4 barrels on so they angle outwards a little bit. Seal any gaps that remain.

Now onto the net(s):
Take the (I haven't determined the optimal net size yet) in square of net and 4 darts of your choosing,(I am going to use some 2 1/2inch stefans) put a hole in each end and a bit of hot glue in one side, put a corner of the net in the hot glued hole, place the weight of your choice on top of the hotglue/net corner and seal the top with a bit more hot glue. Do the same thing for the other 3 sides.

Now to load the attachment(yes, I am planning to make multiples and have them like an ammo belt that will run across my chest like one time use cartridges):
scrunch/twist the net into a long little wad with the darts at the top to where it sort of resembles a grappling hook and place the darts in each barrel and then the long wad of net into the middle.

Now when you fire it all 4 darts should shoot out sort of angled outwards thus pulling out the net and opening it up all the way.

when I actually make a complete version I will post a full write up + pics
"I am The Milkman, my milk is delicious"

I had a long hiatus from nerfing from '09-'13

#19 Shrub

Shrub

• Banned
  • 862 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 12:21 PM

Use the Signal Launcher it's small
Favorite Quotes:
Sorry to hear that man, it's like that one famous bumper sticker, "Shit Happens"
it still seems that your balls drop very rapidly

#20 g-force

g-force

• Members
  • 345 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 11:35 PM

Okay, I am working on a mini net gun, for use to stop bullets in mid-flight, and also after that, I can run and grab the bullets the net hit. My question is, would 3 reactors be enough power to launch it a few feet? Because thats what I plan to use. I have the FULL intention of making this work, I'm getting the reactors this week.

Edit: DARTS!! Sorry about that.

You might as well just run around hiding behind a tarp.
QUOTE(Carbon @ Jul 28 2008, 03:25 AM) View Post

My god, you actually built it. To that, all I can say is, "bravo".

Chubbs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users