ice

• Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 07:30 PM

Ok, lets start with an overview.
Posted Image
And then close up for the detail.
Posted Image

Ok, so the mods in this include an added NF spring, removed bolt lock, removed trigger lock, removed ar's, etc and a reinforced bolt sled. What I did was take some plumbers expoy putty and spread it nice and thin over the inside of the bolt sled, constantly checking that it was thin enough to still fit the clip.
Posted Image

And, as you saw, I also made a super clip. Here's a test vid, it gets about 85' flat average with streamlines.
The video

And just because it took me 7 hours (I didn;t use tape), here a pic of the painting process (cause I'm really digging the paint job).
Posted Image
<!--quoteo(post=206428:date=Jan 25 2009, 05:17 PM:name=Mukersman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mukersman @ Jan 25 2009, 05:17 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
Turd stefans. When I pulled these out of the pillow case i was just like, what... the... fuck...
Muker
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#2 PC III

PC III

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 08:04 PM

good job, amassing paintjob, but 85' with no mod to the breach?
QUOTE(ultra920 @ May 19 2008, 06:18 PM) View Post

Don't want to shove balls in tight spaces. Trust me, bad idea.

For sale: Vintage WWII French rifles. Dropped once, never fired.

#3 badger

badger

The Walking Nerf-wiki

• Members
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 08:07 PM

While the gun looks nice, the mod isn't that clear and the video....well, the video is complete bullshit. You shot at a much higher angle than you describe (those were not low, flat shots), there were no clear shots of the measuring tape and your measurement callouts were very skewed. At one point, your measurements jump alot near the end, yet you are barely moving at all. Also the tape measure needs to be taut and straight to get accurate readings. Yours was curving and it had a bit at the beginning that wasn't even stretched out.

Until I see a more conclusive video with truly level shots, I can't say tat your range claims are anything lse but complete shit. The gun looks good, but that is about it.
As Carbon once said,

"The moment you can no longer see the fun in running around like a little child is the moment you begin to die."

Roses are FF0000
Violets are 0000FF

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US

#4 ice

ice

• Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 08:10 PM

It hits 90', just no on average

While the gun looks nice, the mod isn't that clear and the video....well, the video is complete bullshit. You shot at a much higher angle than you describe (those were not low, flat shots), there were no clear shots of the measuring tape and your measurement callouts were very skewed. At one point, your measurements jump alot near the end, yet you are barely moving at all. Also the tape measure needs to be taut and straight to get accurate readings. Yours was curving and it had a bit at the beginning that wasn't even stretched out.

Until I see a more conclusive video with truly level shots, I can't say tat your range claims are anything lse but complete shit. The gun looks good, but that is about it.

I relise I couldn't show what the tape measure said because I was using the camera on my laptop to tape it, you know how annoying hat is? I'll try to get another test tomarow.
<!--quoteo(post=206428:date=Jan 25 2009, 05:17 PM:name=Mukersman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mukersman @ Jan 25 2009, 05:17 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
Turd stefans. When I pulled these out of the pillow case i was just like, what... the... fuck...
Muker

#5 badger

badger

The Walking Nerf-wiki

• Members
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 08:20 PM

Make sure te shots are level as well. Those shots were far from level which could be seen by the high arc of each shot in the video. No one fires their gun that way at a war unless they want people to dodge them easily. I saw plenty of people at Deal last year dodging many shots from people using Longshots because they aimed high to get range. It has no velocity behind it.
As Carbon once said,

"The moment you can no longer see the fun in running around like a little child is the moment you begin to die."

Roses are FF0000
Violets are 0000FF

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US

#6 ice

ice

• Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 08:24 PM

Why are you always so critical of my stuff. Why can;t you just except what I say for once in your life.
Muker

#7 PC III

PC III

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 08:41 PM

Woah there, you do realize who you are talking to right? He wont except it because he doesn't believe it
(nor do I), granted it MAY be able to hit 90' at 45*, but could you hit a moving, sober, full bodied target? probably not. Don't get me wrong, it is a great gun, just not what you say it is.
QUOTE(ultra920 @ May 19 2008, 06:18 PM) View Post

Don't want to shove balls in tight spaces. Trust me, bad idea.

For sale: Vintage WWII French rifles. Dropped once, never fired.

#8 keef

keef

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 08:45 PM

Awesome paintjob. I don't see how you get so much range, but whatever.

How did you paint it like that without tape?
Timothy M-Lick <3

#9 ice

ice

• Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 08:53 PM

Woah there, you do realize who you are talking to right? He wont except it because he doesn't believe it
(nor do I), granted it MAY be able to hit 90' at 45*, but could you hit a moving, sober, full bodied target? probably not. Don't get me wrong, it is a great gun, just not what you say it is.

When did I ever say it was effective at that range? All I said is that it could hit it. Effective range is around 50-60 or so feet, but it can reach the 90's.
Muker

#10 ChiliPepperFender

ChiliPepperFender

• Members
  • 599 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 09:07 PM

While Ilike love the paint job, I don't believe your ranges were completely from flat level.

EDIT: So are you saying the 90ft range was angled, and 50-60ft is flat since that is the effective range?

Edited by ChiliPepperFender, 13 April 2008 - 09:08 PM.

[The Blue Tiger][Manta Star]
WTS: Stock Crossbow. PM me if you have interest.

#11 sputnik

sputnik

• Members
  • 911 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 09:22 PM

Angled means nothing.
Flat, effective ranges are what counts.
tcambre on IRC.

<3

#12 Kanashimi

Kanashimi

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 09:37 PM

Ice, when you post ranges, do not post angled ranges. If you do, at least post effective range along with it, and make sure you say which is angled and which is flat. People on these boards prefer to hear far it would shoot if you are using it at a real nerf war. Answer this question.

If you have your gun angled at 35-45 degrees, how exactly do you make sure you hit your target?

You can't. Not only do you not know exactly how far away from you it will hit, but you can't look along your gun to see where your dart will land.

Also, let's say I took a nightfinder and did a simple AR removal mod. If I did a range test by going to walmart, standing on the hill next to it, lunging quickly with it angled 45 degrees, and say it got 150 feet. Do you think those ranges are useful? No, because that will never happen in a war.

Hopefully, you understand now that angled ranges are useless to a nerfer.

-Kanashimi

P.s. Do not get mad at a well respected member of the NIC because they don't believe you. That doesn't help you're reputation.

#13 pulletman

pulletman

• Banned
  • 156 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 09:38 PM

For once you aren't wearing under armor.
QUOTE(Ro-Sham-Bo @ Mar 28 2008, 08:28 PM) View Post

(Never heard an old woman scream so loud) -Don't sigg that

QUOTE(Crimmy @ Apr 23 2008, 09:31 AM) View Post

i'm retarded

#14 Cmdrmack

Cmdrmack

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 09:38 PM

When will you kids learn that range isn't that big a deal? If it works for you in a war, it's a good mod.

That being said, the great part about this mod is not the range, but the reinforcement of a structurally weak part af the gun.
QUOTE(Predalien_Ro @ Apr 7 2008, 10:24 PM) View Post

Oompa: FECES!? Who in their right mind would try that shit!?

Bigger Salvo

{FWPC}

#15 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 09:52 PM

Whoa, alright guys, settle down a bit guys.

Ice, Badger isn't necessarily critical, he's just very blunt and straightforwards. I doubt he means to be condescending, he just doesn't believe the ranges, and his way of stating it makes it seem harsher than he is.

Let us just stop arguing about range, eh? Generally arguments about range only turn into flame wars. All of the older members have seen this happen countless number of times. Let me elaborate a little more on how this should work.

I'll put out a bit of info on the whole NH mod thing though. In general, you will see that mods on NH tend to get less range than those on NHQ. Is it because the kids on NHQ are better modders? I'd have to vote against that. I'd say it has to do more with the fact that people on NH that post ranges that seem a bit far-fetched tend to get shot down rather quickly and harshly. Hence, people learn not to post ranges unless they are, well, accurate. Trust me when I say people won't scoff at you for having a LS that goes 50-70, especially without any modifications to the bolt/barrel.
I would like it if arguments about the range could just be dropped, and further discussion be about the gun/mod (avoiding discussion about the range of course).

And I'd find it harder to hit a drunk target than a sober one. You try hitting a really drunk guy that still has some capability left of walking. It's like trying to predict what a woman will do next. It's fucking impossible.

~ompa

#16 Green-Buckshot

Green-Buckshot

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 10:56 PM

I think it's a good mod, and believe me, it is easier than you think to hit someone with an angled shot. Also, the paintjob is more bitchin' than the Camarro my parents drove up for me from the Bahamas (been listening to the Dead Milkmen :cry: ).
QUOTE(A side of nerf @ May 18 2008, 12:33 PM) View Post

Also, could you post some more revealing pictures?

#17 Lynx

Lynx

• Members
  • 983 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 11:16 PM

BITCHIN CAMARO,
BITCHIN CAMARO,
I ran over my neighbors.

Words of genius (wipes a single tear from eye then proceeds to sniffle a few times).

Anyways, Ice that was a cool mod that improved the durability, reliability and performance of the LongShot. The 'Better' edition is going to be yet another LS mod.

Like ForsakenAngel_24 said: I like the extra parts and gimmicks, it gives me something else to fuck around with.

Good job.
Columbus' original crazy asshole now comes with:

AWESOME NITEFINDER

#18 ice

ice

• Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 06:10 AM

When will you kids learn that range isn't that big a deal? If it works for you in a war, it's a good mod.

That being said, the great part about this mod is not the range, but the reinforcement of a structurally weak part af the gun.

Thank god someone relised this. I have done this same mod on my last longshot, and I used it for everything, worked like dream (but I sold it).
Muker

#19 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 08:06 AM

If you want so badly to be taken seriously get to a war and prove something. You seem to love to post mods, throw in some ridiculous bullshit in the fine print, and then bitch and moan when people miss "the big picture". If I were you I'd just omit ranges in your initial write ups all together. They've all seemed pretty fraudulent thus far.

VACC

#20 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 10:45 AM

This isn't about range, this is about misrepresentation and inaccurate reporting.

Why are you always so critical of my stuff.

Because your methodology is flawed and you like to make things up to sound impressive. If you were honest and thorough in supporting your claims this wouldn't be an issue.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 14 April 2008 - 10:45 AM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#21 ice

ice

• Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 12:15 PM

This isn't about range, this is about misrepresentation and inaccurate reporting.

Because your methodology is flawed and you like to make things up to sound impressive. If you were honest and thorough in supporting your claims this wouldn't be an issue.

Vacc pointed this out to me, and I won;t be posting ranges anymore, but I don;t lie.
Muker

#22 sputnik

sputnik

• Members
  • 911 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 01:36 PM

By all means, post ranges, but post them accurately.

Example.
My Nf gets 53' tops.
Not 80' like everyone else claims.
tcambre on IRC.

<3

#23 mystefansdontflystraight

mystefansdontflystraight

• Members
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 02:40 PM

I think it's a good mod, and believe me, it is easier than you think to hit someone with an angled shot. Also, the paintjob is more bitchin' than the Camarro my parents drove up for me from the Bahamas (been listening to the Dead Milkmen :lol: ).

I agree about the paintjob. It's sick. Way better than what I did to mine, before I sold it to some nerd on ebay who thought that it looked like a Halo battle rifle. I agree with badger though. Don't post angled ranges, and always get someone else to hold the camere and show yourslf shooting from the front or the side, to make sure that your angles are good. PS. A bit off topic.. Green Buckshot.. Glad you used my quote. It seriously does look like one though. They were prehistoric rubber and wood literal douchebags (yes the word has more than one meaning, the other is a do-it-yourself abortion/morning after, my mom is a gynaecologist)
QUOTE(Blacksunshine @ Dec 24 2009, 02:15 PM) View Post

QUOTE(white moonlight @ Dec 23 2009, 01:29 PM) View Post

It's just screaming to be rearloading...

I seen a movie about that once.

#24 donz2323

donz2323

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 03:17 PM

I think it's a good mod, and believe me, it is easier than you think to hit someone with an angled shot. Also, the paintjob is more bitchin' than the Camarro my parents drove up for me from the Bahamas (been listening to the Dead Milkmen :lol: ).

I agree about the paintjob. It's sick. Way better than what I did to mine, before I sold it to some nerd on ebay who thought that it looked like a Halo battle rifle. I agree with badger though. Don't post angled ranges, and always get someone else to hold the camere and show yourslf shooting from the front or the side, to make sure that your angles are good. PS. A bit off topic.. Green Buckshot.. Glad you used my quote. It seriously does look like one though. They were prehistoric rubber and wood literal douchebags (yes the word has more than one meaning, the other is a do-it-yourself abortion/morning after, my mom is a gynaecologist)

Awesome paint job ice. I really think it's one of the better ones.

From the pic of your reinforced bolt sled, are you just using the putty stuff to reinforce it? The putty itself does not have very high tensile strength or resistance against stress, If you bonded pieces of metal to it, the sled maybe more reinforced. I didn't have the chance to watch the vid so I didn't see if you did more things.

Mystefan, ummm I think you are mis quoting your mom, a douche bag is actually the bag that holds water or solution for an apparatus that is involved in cleaning body cavities. a Douche can be used in the lower female reproductive organs or for other cavities. It has little to do with "do it your self abortion" or the morning after pill. If your mom is a gyne you should go ask her if that's right...

#25 Galaxy613

Galaxy613

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 08:33 PM

Vacc pointed this out to me, and I won;t be posting ranges anymore, but I don;t lie.

You can post ranges, but post FLAT ranges. Don't angle them at all and try to make them as flat as possible. Then no one will give you crap as long as it's a the truth. No one here cares about angled ranges.
[Former Caretaker of the Guru Mk2]

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users