Mes Fusils!

Design and Construction Discussion

100 replies to this topic

#1 Flaming Hilt

Flaming Hilt

• Members
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 01:08 PM

Welcome to Flaming Hilt's Gun Designs Thread!
"Link" will lead you to an outside page, usually my clan's website.
Other linked phrases will lead you to the relevant post in this thread.

Ask questions on anything! This isn't just to show off my work, it's for the betterment of the community. I steal and develop a lot of others' concepts and you can do the same with mine.

Directory:
Successes:
- The Bungee-Bow
....Link.
- "Hitchcock" (a breach-load rifle)
....Link.
- "Breach" (a homemade shell for the At3k)
....Link.
- "Catch" (a Pistol)
....Plans.
....Picture.
....Link.
Failures/Unfinished:
- FSAP (Full Semi-Auto Prototype)
....Plans.
....Proof of Concept.
- Hand Cannon (a large pistol)
....Plans, picture of some parts.
- "Custom Far 2" (a revision of the original)
....Plans.
....Proof of concept.
- "Custom Far" (a Custom FAR):
....Final picture.
....Final design.

Edited by Flaming Hilt, 08 February 2008 - 08:45 PM.

" Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Mr. Creedy. Beneath this mask there is an idea...
...and ideas are bulletproof. "
V

#2 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 01:47 PM

I think my first question would be, a 1/4" PVC endcap? Are you special ordering?
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#3 Flaming Hilt

Flaming Hilt

• Members
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 03:48 PM

I have no idea what material to use for the plunger, so that's just my temporary... well... I dunno. If it's strong enough, I may just use a dowel and then find something to cap it with.

But hey, that's why I asked, right? So, what exists that will still work? :ph34r:
" Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Mr. Creedy. Beneath this mask there is an idea...
V

#4 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 04:26 PM

Based on the information boltsniper gave me after I asked a million questions the AR-15 spring has an outer diameter of 1 inch. So it will only fit comfortably inside of 1" and 1-1/4" PVC. For your design you'll need a completely different spring.
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#5 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 04:28 PM

I’m pretty sure that PVC is made down to 1’8”, but I’ve never seen it in a store…not that that means much. Common sizes start at ½” and move up by quarters. As far as plungers, Bolt and ompa use ½” endcaps in 1” thinwall, and I use ¾” in 1.25”. Both combinations provide a good fit with o-rings, or some other kind of seal.

Your dowel plunger should work…I’ve used it before, at least. It’s more a question of what cap will work with the tubing you’ve specced, and what you can easily find…

EDIT: Shoulda specified 1.25" Sched 40 for mine....

Edited by Carbon, 28 March 2006 - 04:40 PM.

Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#6 Flaming Hilt

Flaming Hilt

• Members
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 04:31 PM

Alright, thanks. I'll go spend some quality time with my local hardward store and see what fits together. If worst comes to worse, I can always start over and make everything bigger.
V

#7 GeneralPrimevil

GeneralPrimevil

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 05:34 PM

Hello? McMaster-Carr? They sell everything plumbing, remember? Buy in bulk and save on shipping.

I take it I'm not the only one that's gonna be a bit busy over spring break...
"Fear the man with one gun, for he probably knows how to use it."

#8 Flaming Hilt

Flaming Hilt

• Members
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 05:47 PM

Yea... y'see, the problem with buying online is that you don't get to see that everything fits together. You go a hardware store, and you can test out anything and everything for as long as you like.

But -- if it makes you feel better -- I'll take a serious look at their site if I don't find what I want at my hardware store.

EDIT: Hardward store... hardware store... I'm picky.

Edited by Flaming Hilt, 28 March 2006 - 07:02 PM.

V

#9 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 05:50 PM

Just warning you, with the catch pin, make sure you don't have TOO much sticking up; and also make sure that when you pull the trigger, the catch goes all the way back into the hole.

It'll take some trial and error, but it should eventually work. I had to spend a few hours perfecting the catch on the NEAR, since when I screwed the two halves together it would bend the pvc, forcing me to trim down the catch more than I figured I would have had to.

~ompa

#10 Flaming Hilt

Flaming Hilt

• Members
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 06:02 PM

It'll take some trial and error, but it should eventually work.

Eventually. Well, what the heck, I still have half my spring break left. Thanks for the tip. I'm thinking I'll just dig up some sand paper and go at it until works.

So, Ompa, what exactly did you use for the "2 pieces of brass, one for the trigger itself and one for the rod that will move the catch pin up and down?" They don't really look like anything in particular... so... uhm... yea. What the flip are they? Any ideas for replacement in case I can't find them?

You don't have to answer every question I throw at you, because that'd just be mean of me, but thanks for any help you choose to give.
V

#11 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 10:14 PM

Any type of rod that can have holes drilled in it and that have a decent amount of resistance to bending should work fine.

I believe it's 1/4 K&S brass.

~ompa

#12 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 10:21 PM

Yea... y'see, the problem with buying online is that you don't get to see that everything fits together. You go a hardware store, and you can test out anything and everything for as long as you like.

Mcmaster lists inner and outer dimensions for all of their pipe sizes so as long as you use those when doing your drawings things will fit together when they arrive.
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#13 Flaming Hilt

Flaming Hilt

• Members
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 01:18 PM

Posted Image

New design with slightly more available parts.

Use the Key from last time (couldn't fit on the page), but it's pretty self explanatory.

The best part is... I already have a spring for it! :)

Ompa's Trigger System
Inspiration from Boltsniper's BS-5.

I'm planning on buying materials for it either today or tomorrow, but wanted to see if anybody could pick out any defects or problems I might have with it. Thanks for your help.

EDIT: I have to ask, do you think this has potential? I know that you're not supposed to aim for a range -- rather, be happy with what you get -- but if it isn't going to shoot farther than five feet, then...

Edited by Flaming Hilt, 03 February 2008 - 04:19 PM.

V

#14 GeneralPrimevil

GeneralPrimevil

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 01:52 PM

What are you using for the spring? Tell me something relatively inexpensive and longer than 12" inches...I need to find new springs, in case you were wondering. Mine have too heavy a compression resistance.

#15 Flaming Hilt

Flaming Hilt

• Members
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 02:00 PM

Alright, but no laughing.

I was going through old school stuff, and came across a spiral notebook.... The paper had all been used, of course, so I threw that part into recycling.

The spiral itself isn't very effective at it's full 12," but I can barely compress it below 5" or 6" without having it around something (to keep it straight), so my design now has 5" as the free length.

We'll see how it works, and I can always buy a "real" spring if it's crap.

Edited by Flaming Hilt, 29 March 2006 - 02:01 PM.

V

#16 GeneralPrimevil

GeneralPrimevil

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 02:10 PM

Umm...*cough*...*reverse snort*..I;m, trying, not, to umm, laugh *starts laughing hysterically*...
20 minutes later...
*stops laughing hysterically*

Well, you hould get some distance, but those aren't really made of spring steel I don't think. Was it an expensive notebook or what I buy (Walgreens Special)?

#17 Flaming Hilt

Flaming Hilt

• Members
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 03:33 PM

I have no idea.

I know that at first it sounds like crap, but I put it around a brace and it is stronger than I thought it would be.

I have no idea what kind of a notebook it was, remember it was recycling from last year.
V

#18 GeneralPrimevil

GeneralPrimevil

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 03:50 PM

Hmm...how many pounds of force would you say it required to push it down on the guide (brace)?

Well, try it anyway. If it works, it works. If it doesn't, post about it so we know that certain springy objects do not make the best, well, springs.

You could try an external extension spring or two...

#19 davidbowie

davidbowie

• Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 04:36 PM

I've used those notebook springs as magazine springs for paintballs. I doubt you'd get much power out of it. They tend to lose length fairly quickly. By that, I mean that a 12" spring, after a few uses, would be more like an 8" spring.

I think the best way to get long compression springs is to put two shorter ones end-to-end with a washer in between, like in the SNAP-1.
Check out the all-new DBNerf. The source for all your DBNeeds.

#20 GeneralPrimevil

GeneralPrimevil

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 04:41 PM

Man, I'm a dumbass! I forgot all about a catalog at my Shop (a.k.a. Industrial Facility for MMNO). It has a place in it which sells nothing but springs by size, style, type, weight, dimensions, etc. I'll find out who that is and give you guys the name of the place.

Anyway, I'm gonna make something with external extension springs. That will give me ease of acquiring parts. I'll have to worry about being pinched, but that's a risk I'm willing to take...

#21 davidbowie

davidbowie

• Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 05:38 PM

If you're going to try extension springs, you might want to look into bungees or surgical tubing.
Check out the all-new DBNerf. The source for all your DBNeeds.

#22 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 07:31 PM

Pinching isn't the problem; it's the bolt slamming forwards and hitting you that is the problem. And with external expansion springs, you have those hooks on the end of the springs too. I'd enclose the springs if I were you, just for safety.

~ompa

#23 GeneralPrimevil

GeneralPrimevil

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 08:14 PM

Well I have a week to figure out how to do that.

The extension springs I have don't have hooks; they have triple-over hoops. Still, the T-bar which transfers the spring energy to the piston/plunger that would really bring on the hurt.

Well, it wasn't a catalogue, it was an actual place I can walk into. I'm going there next week Wednesday. The people coming to MMNO might be able to go there while staying. It's relatively close, or at least within a half hour or twenty miles. Flaming Hilt, Carbon, you all listening?

Also, I'm apparently not going to be using a clothespin as the trigger. The other person who actually works at my Shop (a.k.a. my dad) is confident he can find/make something stronger. I guess I'm gonna be using a direct trigger emch now, utilizing a modified boltsniper/Carbon/Ompa consolidation trigger. I am not kidding. That's what he explained. I'll try and make an image of it; however, it'll probably be done as a final product by the time I plan it out.

#24 Flaming Hilt

Flaming Hilt

• Members
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 11:07 AM

Just an update on the progress of the gun:
-Trigger system is done and works well with the plunger.
-Tested the Notebook spring and it sucks. So, Home Depot is my vacation for today.
-Failed to notice the difference between 1/2" CPVC and 1/2" PVC. 'Nuff said.
-Failed to double-check the diameter of the brass. 'Nuff said.
-Wrong size O-rings bought.
-Still have to visit a Hobby shop for the Balsa Wood Sheets for the clip system and front sight.

Yea, I'm an idiot. Laugh all you want. But hey, you gotta learn somehow, right?
V

#25 RaZeR ShArP

RaZeR ShArP

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 11:44 AM

ERm... Yeah. Right. My first home-made was a miserable failure but my 2nd one was okay... Keep working on it, I think it can be done pretty easily.
"If only you could upgrade to a bigger one. Double the length and watch as others cower in fear of your balls." -Shadow Hunter Alpha

"I had just used some silicone spray on the plunger, and saw a nice increase in range. So I told my wife that lubing up makes my balls shoot further." -Carbon

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users