Clipped Maverick

It doesn't suck...much.

15 replies to this topic

#1 nerfturtle

nerfturtle

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 11:06 PM

I hate the maverick, it's heavy for a pistol, bulky, and doesn't have much in the ways of range because of the horrible turret seal. So, I embarked on the journey of clipping it to overcome these problems while keeping its high ROF.
Here she be:
Posted Image
The clip is simply a cassete case gutted of annoying peices of plastic, and a K'nex rod with a beam at the top pushed up by some stretched AR springs. The breech cover is part of a sm750 pump chamber, and the barrel and arms are some amazingly cheap iragation system piping that fits my darts perfectly.

Questions? Comments? Flames? (Haha, hopefully none of those!)

Edit: Forgot ranges.
1. 55'
2. 53'
3. 51'
4. 47'

Edited by nerfturtle, 12 June 2007 - 11:09 PM.

The tough coughs as he ploughs the dough.
-Dr. Suess

#2 Keks

Keks

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 11:21 PM

Looks decent, nice job. It looks like the breech is connected to the cocking slide, is that correct?

I would just add something to reinforce the barrel, it looks like one decent knock to it would wipe it out. Also are you firing stefans or stock darts? I would assume stock.

I think I'll try this, I almost scrapped my maverick/ thought about singling it, which defeats the whole purpose of the gun.

#3 nerfturtle

nerfturtle

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 11:39 PM

Yea, the breech is connected to the slide, to keep its ROF high. The barrel is actually stuck pretty well on there, But it would probably be a good idea to reinforce it. No, I am using stefans, look.
Posted Image

Edited by nerfturtle, 12 June 2007 - 11:48 PM.

-Dr. Suess

#4 neomike88

neomike88

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 01:04 AM

Nice mod, I like how you used the k'nex pieces and the spring. How many darts can you fit in the clip? 7-8?
Mike

#5 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 780 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 08:20 AM

Finally, a clip modded mav. A sucky gun gone not so sucky. Good work, I like how you you integrated the breech action with the cocking slide.
QUOTE(VACC @ Jan 24 2008, 06:12 AM) View Post
I am NEVER going to sleep naked in the bed of a former child star ever again....seriously

#6 Guest_yourface_*

Guest_yourface_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2007 - 08:38 AM

I hate the maverick, it's heavy for a pistol, bulky, and doesn't have much in the ways of range because of the horrible turret seal.

Excellent mod, but one question. It looks...well...just as bulky as a stock Maverick. It may weigh less, but it looks just as hard to holster. Is it easier to handle than it looks? I am considering doing this to my Maverick - I took apart the trigger mech and now the holes on the turret don't align with the plunger tube every time.

#7 Brass

Brass

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 08:38 AM

Thing is, if you used this clip on a better gun, like a NF, you might be able to get the same great rate of fire on a much better gun. It is pretty good to get low 50s out of a mav, though.

Cussing, cursing, swearing, using profanity: All I have to say is why the hell not.

Because every time you do God kills a kitten.

Everytime you miss an opportunity to say 'fuck' I'm going to eat a kitten.

#8 Dr Moose

Dr Moose

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 08:41 AM

Finally, a clip modded mav. A sucky gun gone not so sucky.

It will still never be that good of a gun because of it's wimpy plunger size and because it is a reverse plunger. Still, very nice mod though.

Brass, you couldn't do this mod to a nitefinder because the cocking mechanism does not slide forward after you cock it like in the mavrick, so the breech would not close. After you cock it, you would have to manually close the breech.

Edited by Dr. Moose, 13 June 2007 - 08:46 AM.

QUOTE(Forsaken_angel24 @ Apr 29 2008, 01:24 AM) View Post

QUOTE(Kid Flash @ Apr 27 2008, 06:11 PM) View Post

What is the best way to go at removing a stump without any power tools? Thanks ahead of time!

Be a man! Use your hands!

#9 Brass

Brass

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 08:59 AM

Brass, you couldn't do this mod to a nitefinder because the cocking mechanism does not slide forward after you cock it like in the mavrick, so the breech would not close. After you cock it, you would have to manually close the breech.

Didn't think about that. Sorry :(

Cussing, cursing, swearing, using profanity: All I have to say is why the hell not.

Because every time you do God kills a kitten.

Everytime you miss an opportunity to say 'fuck' I'm going to eat a kitten.

#10 nerfer909

nerfer909

• Banned
  • 141 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 10:09 AM

"and the barrel and arms are some amazingly cheap iragation system piping that fits my darts perfectly."

I got that same stuff from walmart, it was like 87 cents over by the water hoses, now thats what i use on all my barrels.

Edited by nerfer909, 13 June 2007 - 10:57 AM.

Step 1: Throw TTG against wall.
Step 2: Drive to Toy Store.
Step 3: Buy a NF.

Blasphemy. I think you need to throw yourself against a wall, drive to store and buy yourself a brain.

#11 Keks

Keks

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 12:53 PM

I think I found a way to reinforce the barrel.

When initially chopping off the front housing for the turret, you should leave the top part on, so that you can secure the barrel to it somehow, be it epoxy, glue or just electrical tape. I also found that you can get a fairly straight barrel if you leave the front orange ring on and use the right sized PVC or whatever to act as a guide. I'll post pictures once I completely figure out how I'm singling my maverick.

I would love to work on the breech, but I don't have any stefans, so maybe I'll make that modification if I ever get around to making some.

#12 NiteWalker

NiteWalker

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 01:25 PM

Is the clip removeable? Anyway, your breech looks like it could jam pretty easily. I'm not inclined to believe 50 ft. even for a clipped mav (unless you measure your ranges angled). The spring is weak and the barrel on your gun is long for a mav. Nice job on getting a clip on a pistol that works flawlessly (I assume) though.
NEW Write-up of the DTG/At3k:
Click here
Credit to Carrtoon for the mod.

"The mother of invention is need... Who doesn't have to pelt people with foam?"

#13 Oro

Oro

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 04:21 PM

Me likey :D . Very nice mod Turtle. I've been thinking of doing that to my friend's Mav because the seal sucks and I wanted to find a way to single-barrel it without losing ROF.
QUOTE(deaddumpster @ Jun 25 2008, 04:59 AM) View Post

Don't pry.......and gently pry it off with a flathead screwdriver.

#14 nerfturtle

nerfturtle

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 07:56 PM

NiteWalker- The clip is not removeable, but is still easy to load because the one of the sides flips right open. You would think that it would jam, but it works flawlessly, if I can get my friends video camera I can get a vid up of me chambering eight rounds. The spring in a STOCK mav is weak, but I replaced it in this mav, and even though the barrel looks long, it starts as a real barrel AFTER the breech, so it is the perfect length.

Brass- I am actually considering making another clip (as they are easy to make) and putting it on a nitefinder. It would have great ROF for an nf, and good ranges.

Yourface- It is still bulky, but I made a clip on the handle so i can clip it to a belt strap on jeans, and it is a LOT lighter without the turret and the turret rotating stuffs.

neomike88- I just changed the clip so it can fire off eight shots, one in the breech and seven in the clip.
-Dr. Suess

#15 nerfboi

nerfboi

• Members
  • 858 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 08:55 PM

You siad you REPLACED the spring right? Then you should reinforce it. You could folloe Frost Vectron's hot on it.
We Ride together, we die together, Bad boys for life.

#16 nerfturtle

nerfturtle

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 09:07 PM

The new spring isn't that much stronger. so reinforcement isn't really needed. Since the stock spring is so horribly weak, having the new spring in is the equivalent of a nitefinder with its stock spring.
-Dr. Suess

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users