• 1,892 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 05:43 PM

ESLT 1.5 Build Guide

esltcollagesuperawesome.jpg

Background:

Original thread: http://nerfhaven.com...showtopic=23437
ESLT 1.0: https://sites.google...er---3d-printed
Clear ESLT Demo:

First, I'd like to give credit to Kanethemediocre for the birth of this blaster. I've pretty much taken his original design for the double-level catch and with both our inputs, we've made this the best blaster the NIC has to offer.

The first ESLT was built almost two years ago, and a lot has changed since the original. This is the latest version MHA is producing, and the design will continue to evolve from here. A 3D printer is required to make these blasters unless you are clever enough to substitute all the printed pieces with something else. It's definitely achievable, but the 3D printed version is obviously a lot easier to build if you have the necessary tools.

There are no physical pictures of the assembly or the machining process, but instead pretty drawings I did in Autodesk Inventor that are both better and worse than doing regular pictures. One thing I really hate about most writeups people do is the wall of pictures that are either terrible quality, millions of them, or both.

Like the first writeup, this is more of a "Build Guide", or a general reference to building one of these. If you're looking for step-by-step instructions, you're building the wrong blaster. However, if some things don't make sense or aren't clear, please complain about it.

The design for the ESLT is continually being changed and updated, and further iterations will be added to this post.

Printed Part Files

As a person involved with 3D printing, I always rage hard when people don't post a file that you can actually edit. Most people will post some stl's which are garbage if you have to modify even the slightest thing. In response to that, I'm hosting both .stp files and .stl files so if you have some modeling software that can import stp's, then you can actually edit parts if you have to.

To download .stp files, right click the link and select "Save Link As" and name the file with the extension ".stp".

Download Here

Parts List

Download Parts List Here:
Available in Microsoft Excel (.xls)

Or viewable in plain text (for copy/pasta) on MostlyHarmlessArms.com

Essential Tools
-3D Printer w/ no less than 7x7x7" print area
-Scrollsaw or Hacksaw
-Drill press and/or power drill
-Dremel w/ cutting wheel or Mill/Scrollsaw
-7/64”, 5/32", .260" (or slightly over .250), 1/2", 5/8" drill bits
-#6-32 tapping bit
-#10-24 tapping bit
-1/4-20 tap and die set
-5/16-18 tapping bit
-Scissors and/or file
-Screwdriver
-Countersink (Any size, really)
-Hot glue and/or super glue
-Duct tape
-Silicone lube
-Safety glasses
-Vise and/or wrench
-Tape measure, ruler

Very helpful, not critical:
-Mill
-Tube holding jigs
-Hole marking jigs
-Lathe
-Chimo Cheese
-Belt Sander (stock)

Printing your Components

PrintedParts.jpg

MainHandleZPrint - 0.6mm nozzle, 5 perimeters, 30% infill - This is the part of the handle you physically hold and is the biggest print on the blaster. There are two ways to do this. You can do it vertically, like I have here, or you can do it in two halves and glue them together. If people don't have printers that can print up to 160mm in the Z axis, you'll need to do them in halves. If you have a finer nozzle (less than 0.5), you should also do them in halves. Layer adhesion is the weakest point on parts that come off these printers, so extra/thicker perimeters are a must if printing vertically. Post-print you'll have to tap the two holes (#6) at the top of the print where it attaches to the HandleClamp. You also may need to drill out the three holes (#6 clearance), where it attaches to the FrontHandlePiece.

FrontHandlePiece - 0.6 nozzle, 3 perimeters, 30% infill - This is probably the most challenging print on the blaster. They are pretty long (175mm) and will warp at least a little bit unless you really have your settings on your printer super fine tuned. I've found adding lots of brim helps, especially adding brim to your model so the brim is actually attached to the printed part for a layer or two. Post-print you'll need to tap the two holes (#6) where it attaches to the HandleClamp. You also may want to drill out the two holes (#6 clearance), where the CatchPiece and Trigger are mounted.

CatchPiece; CatchInterface - 0.6mm nozzle, 3 perimeters, 100% infill - The CatchPiece is basically the catch of the blaster (hence the name), where the CatchInterface is more like the "catch notch" in a normal blaster. These two pieces need to be 100% infill since they see a lot of wear during use. Having a larger nozzle isn't critical, but it does make for faster printing. Post-print you'll need to tap (1/4) the only hole on this piece.

Trigger3DPrint/Mirror - 0.6 nozzle, 3 perimeters, 30% infill - These don't really don't matter how they're printed. You'll need to glue the two piece together after they are printed. After they're glued together, drill out the hole (#6 clearance).

ReDirectPiece - 0.6 nozzle, 3 perimeters, 100% infill - We recently started making these solid because of some people having problems with them breaking in particular blasters. It didn't happen a lot, but it's better to be safe when it comes to this piece. It's centrally located in the blaster, making replacement pretty difficult without taking the whole blaster apart. After it's printed, drill out the holes for the CPVC stub, and the Rod Seal with a 5/8" drill bit. You want this piece to be somewhat loose in your Plunger tube. Hammering/tight fits are not good when it comes to this piece.

PumpGripSpacer(x2) - 0.35 nozzle, 1-2 perimeter, 100% infill - These are very thin, tall pieces, that benefit from having a smaller nozzle. They have to be large enough to fit inside the 1.5" Reducing Tee, but small enough on the inside diameter, to pass over the 1 1/4" PVC.

EyeboltAdapter - 0.6mm nozzle, 3 perimeter, 100% infill - The Eyebolt Adpater needs to be strong and is a quick print with a larger nozzle. Post-print, you'll have to tap one end with a #10-24 tap, and the other end with a 1/4-20 tap.

BarrelSpacer - 0.6mm nozzle, 4 perimeters, 30% infill - These don't really need to be this large, but we like the look and how it holds the barrel very tight.

ESLTPlungerHead (Front/Rear) - 0.6mm nozzle, 3 perimeters, 100% infill - More information on these can be found here. You'll need to tap both holes for the plunger rod, post-print.

WyeSpacer - 0.6mm nozzle, 3 perimeters, 30% infill - Also another print that doesn't have to meet any specifications. This print simply gives you a wedge in between the wye and the front tube to tape the barrel assembly from wobbling.

StockFlange (optional) - 0.6mm nozzle, 3 perimeters, 30% infill - If you have a printer you might as well do this piece. It attaches the plunger tube to an HDPE sheet which is hot glued to a piece of foam, for comfort. This is a highly recommended add.

Tube & Rod Machining

1InchPVCPrimingTubeDimensions.jpg

The Priming tube is the linkage from the PumpGrip that pushes on the CatchInterface, which pushes back the plunger rod. The top slot doesn't need to exist, but it's easier to do on a scrollsaw like that. You can also Dremel or mill it, but you only need the bottom slot. The holes should be 7/64" or a #6 pilot, and need to be tapped afterwards. These need to be fairly centered holes so the 1" is mounted centrally inside the 1 1/4" front tube.

125InchPVCPlungerTubeDimensions.jpg

Make sure your PVC is smooth on the inside. The majority of PVC we encounter is very bumpy and awful on the inside, creating unnecessary friction and a shitty seal. Fitting your Redirect piece to this can be kind of tricky but you want to make sure it's a loose-ish fit in the tube. More information on that assembly will be explained later. The holes are easier to drill after you've inserted and attached your ReDirectPiece unless you have super tooling (you don't), so don't drill these yet.

125InchPVCFrontTubeDimensions.jpg

The biggest tube to machine, and requires some pretty long slots. We do these on a mill, but a scrollsaw is probably the next best option, followed by a Dremel, which is pretty terrible. The slot should be at least 3/8" wide, if they are centered. If they're off, they'll like need to be oversized. The holes should also be #6 pilot holes and drilled after you've assembled some stuff. Again, this will be explained more later. The larger hole in the front is 1/2" in diameter which holds the spring post. You'll also need a slot on the bottom for the CatchPiece to clear, which should be around 1/2" wide.

150InchPVCClampDimensions.jpg

These are basically a tube cut almost in half, leaving one side to be a little more than a half tube. This will clamp over/slide over your 1 1/4" tubes, and connect your handle to them. It needs a 1/2" slot in the bottom, with 5/32" or #6 clearance holes to attach to the handle. They also need to be countersunk. The holes near the top of the clamp should be #6 clearance holes, and you should drill them before cutting the tube in half.

BarrelDimensions.jpg

Pretty straightforward here, make sure you chamfer the CPVC/PVC barrel combo to allow a smooth feed for the the darts. Instead of using a CPVC coupler, you can also use a length of 1/2" PVC drilled out to 5/8". Make sure you super glue your CPVC/PVC barrel combo because you don't want that coming un-done.

PlungerRodDimensions.jpg

This can be a difficult piece to machine. Cutting it to length is pretty easy, but making the threads will be difficult unless you have special tooling. We're probably going to sell a plunger rod machining kit, with the necessary printed parts to make this a much easier process. More on this later.

If you don't want the super tooling, you'll have to cut the aluminum rod to 11.5", and use a die to cut threads 1.5" long on both sides. During this process you'll have to figure out a way to vise the rod without damaging it, and when you're actually turning the die to cut the threads, you have to make sure you're not bending the rod. Both of these will cause major issues later, mostly the plunger rod having tons of unnecessary friction.

StubsandMiscDimensions.jpg

These are just small bits that you'll need later on. The holes on the 1 1/4", 1" Pumpgrip tubes, you'll drill these later. The hole for the spring post should be 5/32" diameter, and roughly .25" away from the top.

Super glue the CPVC/PVC wye stub. You need this to stay together when you press fit the Barrel Assembly together.

Handle Assembly

HandleAssemblyExploded.jpg

Now onto the major assemblies. Most important and easiest, is the Handle Assembly. It's pretty straightforward from the drawing here, and everything should go together nicely. Your spring length should be roughly the same as the Catch Spring Rod.

Front Tube Assembly

FrontTubeAssembly.jpg

This can all be left un-assembled until later. It's really just here for a reference.

PumpGrip Assembly

PumpGripAssemblyExploded.jpg

This assembly must be done inside the 1 1/4" Front Tube. You'll need to drill holes in the side of the PVC Reducing tee, that line line up with the PumpGripSpacers. There is no easy way to get these holes lined up without special tooling, but you can just drill them a bit oversized so the screws will pass through. These two sets of holes, and the holes in 1" Priming tube should all line up, and you'll secure it with the #6-32 x 5/8" long screws.

For the bottom grip portion of the Reducing tee, nest your stub of 1" PVC inside your stub of 1 1/4". You'll need about 1-2 duct tape rings for it to stay centered and not wobble. Drill one 7/64" hole straight through the Reducing tee and 1", and then below it another hole through the 1 1/4" and 1". Tap these two holes (#6) and put in the two set screws, making them flush with the grip.

Barrel Assembly

BarrelDimensions.jpg

This is self-explanatory as well. It's not necessary to glue any of these pieces together.

Plunger Rod Assembly

PlungerRodAssemblyExploded.jpg

When you assemble the Plunger Rod, only do the back side of it first, containing the plunger head. The rod seal and ReDirect Piece need to go in between this assembly.

Plunger Tube Assembly

ReDirect-PlungerTubeAssembly.jpg

This is the step where you'll need your hot glue gun. Your ReDirectPiece should be loose in the Plunger tube, so add a small line of hot glue around where it's being inserted into the tube. Push that in all the way until the Plunger tube butts up against the top of the ReDirectPiece.

The nylon spacers should be super glued inside the polyester tubing, with the o-ring in between, obviously. This is your rod seal. You don't need to glue the rod seal inside the ReDirectPiece. This should be a nice press fit. Same goes for the CPVC stub, but if it doesn't seal, use a little hot glue here as well.

During the Final Assembly, you'll drill the holes you need to secure this assembly to the rest of the blaster. Right now, you should have no holes in the ReDirectPiece, or the Plunger tube.

Stock Assembly

FoamStockOptional.jpg

The shape of the foam piece and stock plate are really up to the user's preference. Make sure you drill speed holes after you've put the stock on the plunger tube. Your blaster won't work otherwise. Just use the 5/32" bit and drill 3-4 holes through the side of the flange and the plunger tube to allow air to pass through when firing.

Final Blaster Assembly

FinalAssemblyStep1.jpg

We're to the final assemblies, and now you'll be drilling all the holes I told you to wait on. First you'll want to attach your PumpGrip assembly to the Front Tube. Put the 1" Priming tube inside the Front Tube, followed by the Reducing Tee over it, and then slide in your PumpGripSpacers, lining up all the holes between the 1" Priming Tube, PumpGripSpacers, and Reducing Tee. Assembly with 5/8" long screws. Make sure the screws on the PumpGrip are facing towards the front of the blaster.

You can now drill out your 7/64" holes that are in the side of the Front Tube. Mark the holes by using the existing holes in the HandleClamp, making sure the slots (side and bottom), are lined up with the Handle Assembly. Tap these holes and secure with 1/4" screws. You can now put on the BarrelSpacer, but still leave off the Spring Post.

FinalAssemblyStep2.jpg

Before you put in your plunger rod, clamp on the Plunger Tube Assembly on the back of the HandleClamp, lining it up with the holes already drilled in the HandleClamp. Make sure your ReDirectPiece is pointed straight up, so the Barrel Assembly is all straight and square. The holes should be 3/8" from the edge of the plunger tube. Mark these holes in your Plunger tube, and drill through the Plunger tube and ReDirectPiece with a 7/64" bit. Tap and deburr the holes.

Insert your plunger rod into the Plunger Tube Assembly, and attach the front end of the Plunger Rod Assembly that I told you you'll put on later. Make sure you lube up the Plunger tube and it doesn't hurt to also lube the rod seal.

Attach the Plunger tube assembly to the rest of the blaster using the holes you just drilled, and 3/4" long screws. The screws should stick out slightly past the ID of the ReDirectPiece, although you'll have no idea unless your blaster is clear.

I don't have this part modeled, but make sure you have your extension spring or latex tubing is already attached to the Eyebolt when putting this assembly in the rest of the blaster. You can now put in the Spring Post, through the barrel spacer, securing it with a 1" long screw. Obviously make sure the other loop of the extension spring goes through the Spring Post. There should be a small amount of pretension with the extension spring.

FinalAssemblyStep3.jpg

Now you can put on your stock of choice, secure it how you'd like, and add the Barrel Assembly. The aluminum barrel will clamp very tightly inside the barrel spacer. Make sure everything is lined up, add your WyeSpacer, and use duct tape to secure your Barrel Assembly, preventing the wye from moving side to side. If you'd like to make it more permanent, feel free, but I like to keep the Barrel Assembly still easily replaceable.

FinalAssemblyComplete.jpg

Questions, comments, flames, please post...

Edited by Aeromech, 23 November 2015 - 02:54 AM.

#2 proplus

proplus

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 06:02 PM

This is amazing .(picks up dropped jaw)

How durable is it though? I might be looking forward to building one, only it can take a beating.

Do you have any average chrony readings or range claims?

Edited by proplus, 04 July 2014 - 06:07 PM.

"the peinus itself is a handle"

- Kane the medeocre

#3 Naturalman7

Naturalman7

• Contributors
  • 158 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 06:17 PM

Yeah! This is great. I was just about to make an ESLT. I have access to a mill, lathe and such, but not a super reliable 3D printer so I'm not sure how to go about with the ReDirectPiece or some of the other stranger pieces.

Very well done and the drawings are excellent. I think the fabrication process is the difficult part to this blaster, and not the assembly, so just having everything clearly laid out is better than a step-by-step.

#4 Sam-underscore

Sam-underscore

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 06:20 PM

GREAT writeup! Very clear, easy to understand, and the fancy inventor drawings are sweet
Great job, can't wait to build one!
You want Homemades? I make Homemades.
~le yootoob

#5 Thorn

Thorn

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:57 PM

Great Writeup! Does the O-ring for the padding assist the seal in any way? I was thinking that you could make it so that you have a groove in the redirect piece, then you could put the same O-ring that you use on the plunger head in that grove to help the redirect piece seal in the plunger tube, similar to how roboman does his at2k barrels. Also, is there any advantage to using a 10-24 eyebolt instead of a 1/4-20 one? My 10-24 eyebolt actually snapped at Armageddon, which makes me question its strength.
EDIT: Did you completely redesign the handle, or did you just cut a slot out of the front of the handle behind the trigger?

Edited by Thorn, 05 July 2014 - 04:35 PM.

#6 Drev

Drev

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 09:58 PM

Of course I made an ESLT a week before the new writeup. Anyways, this is a fantastic writeup and the digital drawings are way better than pictures. Also, providing stp files is a great idea because I found myself wanting to edit one of the old files and I couldn't. Thanks for making this amazing blaster. Have you found that the new way of sealing the aluminum rod with the o-ring is better than using the metal piece?

Edited by Drev, 05 July 2014 - 10:56 AM.

Check out my blog: Fly Nerf

#7 Naturalman7

Naturalman7

• Contributors
  • 158 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 09:43 AM

...Have you found that the new way of sealing the aluminum rod with the o-ring is better than using the metal piece?

Answer:

These next two pictures are the most important part of the update. Instead of the bronze bushings we've been using for blasters using 1/4" plunger rods, I made an o-ring seal which is held together by two 1/4" long x 1/2" diameter nylon spacers. They have a .252" hole that is just big enough for the plunger rod to pass. Originally, I tried printing these parts, but it seems Kane's printer can't do something that small while being precise enough for it to remotely seal.

I put all of these inside a 5/8" x 1/2" polycarbonate tube and glued them in with a bit of super glue to ensure a good seal. This little piece then goes inside my re-direct piece, which will actually be changed in the next blasters.

The reason I switched from the bronze bushings is because these o-rings have a much larger margin of error. With the bushings, if your plunger rod is slightly off center, it causes mad styles friction, which is no good. The o-ring seals probably about the same, but I really don't have any way of checking this since this blaster has so many areas that need to seal, and it's almost impossible to check each individual one....

Edited by Naturalman7, 05 July 2014 - 09:43 AM.

#8 Ryan201821

Ryan201821

Prince Edward

• Contributors
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 05:23 PM

This is amazing .(picks up dropped jaw)

How durable is it though? I might be looking forward to building one, only it can take a beating.

Do you have any average chrony readings or range claims?

I doubt this can really take a "beating" depending on how you define that. The printed pieces are really the only likely to break, the BarrelSpacer, and the ReDirectPiece are the most vulnerable and the only parts we've had break so far. So yeah, it'll break like any other homemade does.

Range tests are pointless since there are a billion variables, but it shoots as hard as any other homemade with 5.75" of draw does.

Yeah! This is great. I was just about to make an ESLT. I have access to a mill, lathe and such, but not a super reliable 3D printer so I'm not sure how to go about with the ReDirectPiece or some of the other stranger pieces.

Very well done and the drawings are excellent. I think the fabrication process is the difficult part to this blaster, and not the assembly, so just having everything clearly laid out is better than a step-by-step.

You can use the swing x wye piece used in the previous writeup. I stopped using that because it was more expensive, and harder to find, in addition I wanted to use a CPVC tee there so I could insert the external check valve in the other side. Now that these aren't used anymore, and the check valve is internal, the swing x wye piece should work no problem. You will have to move the plunger tube slightly back, which will cause a lot of things to change, or just cut off the front of the swing x wye piece and shorten it.

Or if you're hardcore and have access to CNC equipment, you can just machine the piece out of a chunk of aluminum and it'll never break.

Great Writeup! Does the O-ring for the padding assist the seal in any way? I was thinking that you could make it so that you have a groove in the redirect piece, then you could put the same O-ring that you use on the plunger head in that grove to help the redirect piece seal in the plunger tube, similar to how roboman does his at2k barrels. Also, is there any advantage to using a 10-24 eyebolt instead of a 1/4-20 one? My 10-24 eyebolt actually snapped at Armageddon, which makes me question its strength.

The secondary o-ring/rubber washer does not seal anything whatsoever. It's purpose is to provide padding (not much but some) for the plunger head slamming into the ReDirectPiece. Using the o-ring like you described doesn't really help me at all since the ReDirectPieces are printed parts and don't have a nice finish like you would on something that was machined out of aluminum. He also is attaching two parts that were machined, giving him an optimal surface to work with making the o-rings work amazing I assume. The ReDirectPieces are just hot glued in for them to seal. They're printed undersized on purpose so we can do it like that.

Of course I made an ESLT a week before the new writeup. Anyways, this is a fantastic writeup and the digital drawings are way better than pictures. Also, providing stp files is a great idea because I found myself wanting to edit one of the old files and I couldn't. Thanks for making this amazing blaster. Have you found that the new way of sealing the aluminum rod with the o-ring is better than using the metal piece?

Yeah, what Naturalman7 said. This was actually an update about a year ago in one of the old threads.

#9 KaneTheMediocre

KaneTheMediocre

Belligerent Asshole

• Members
  • 613 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 06:47 PM

Also, is there any advantage to using a 10-24 eyebolt instead of a 1/4-20 one? My 10-24 eyebolt actually snapped at Armageddon, which makes me question its strength.

The 10-24 eyebolt fits inside the 1" PVC priming tube, but the 1/4-20 eyebolt doesnt. Ryan used thinwall 1" PVC or custom 3d printed tubes before that change, and they (the priming tubes) weren't very tough. We thought a smaller eyebolt but a thicker priming tube would produce the most robust blaster, and we haven't seen an eyebolt of ANY size break.

I'm very interested to see how your 10-24 eyebolt snapped, as we don't want that happening with the blasters we sell. I'm sure we'll find a way to reinforce or replace that part if it's the weak link.
RAINBOW CLAN FTW
I'm Purple

My Half-Baked MHA Site

#10 Thorn

Thorn

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 07:35 PM

The 10-24 eyebolt fits inside the 1" PVC priming tube, but the 1/4-20 eyebolt doesnt. Ryan used thinwall 1" PVC or custom 3d printed tubes before that change, and they (the priming tubes) weren't very tough. We thought a smaller eyebolt but a thicker priming tube would produce the most robust blaster, and we haven't seen an eyebolt of ANY size break.

I'm very interested to see how your 10-24 eyebolt snapped, as we don't want that happening with the blasters we sell. I'm sure we'll find a way to reinforce or replace that part if it's the weak link.

That's interesting. I replaced my broken eyebolt with a 1/4-20 one and it fits just fine in the schedule 40 1 in. pvc.
It actually only took a few rounds for it to snap. I replaced it with another one, then my funny wye snapped so it was done for the day. It broke right above where the nylon nut was, so pretty much the threads were left in the adapter. Pic:
Posted Image

#11 Ryan201821

Ryan201821

Prince Edward

• Contributors
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 09:19 PM

stuff

Wow, that's crazy. We've obviously not had problems like this from either eyebolt.

Further explaining what Kane did, it's not absolutely super critical that it's the 10-24 eybolt. The 1/4" one will work with standard 1" PVC, most of the time. Although, if your plunger rod is slightly off-centered, the eyebolt will rub against the 1" PVC. This is why I just decided to go with the smaller one.

#12 Ryan201821

Ryan201821

Prince Edward

• Contributors
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 11:13 PM

Oh yeah...how the hell did you break the swing x wye? That's injection molded PVC, yo. It's like when I hear people break pvc wyes in half. How the fuck is that possible.

I'm curious to know how your blaster differs from mine. Different spring? Ridiculous latex tension? I could see that ruining shit.

#13 Thorn

Thorn

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 11:33 PM

Oh yeah...how the hell did you break the swing x wye? That's injection molded PVC, yo. It's like when I hear people break pvc wyes in half. How the fuck is that possible.

I'm curious to know how your blaster differs from mine. Different spring? Ridiculous latex tension? I could see that ruining shit.

I actually had some craft foam padding, but it got pretty demolished and actually slipped into the airflow and clogged it so I had to take it out. Other than having no padding, it was no different than yours. I posted pictures of it in the homemades picture thread. I was using the same extension spring as you, and it has about as good a seal as possible without using adhesives. I actually changed to latex tubing after the eyebolt broke, but it was tensioned so that it was a tad easier to prime than the extension spring. I have no clue how it broke. I'll post pictures if you'd like. It broke right at the spot where the main thing meets the part that holds the tubing.

Edited by Thorn, 19 July 2014 - 02:02 PM.

#14 Ryan201821

Ryan201821

Prince Edward

• Contributors
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 12:52 AM

I actually had some craft foam padding, but it got pretty demolished and actually slipped into the airflow and clogged it so I had to take it out. Other than having no padding, it was no different than yours. I posted pictures of it in the homemades picture thread. I was using the same extension spring as you, and it has about as good a seal as possible without using adhesives. I actually changed to latex tubing after the eyebolt broke, but it was tensioned so that it was a tad easier to prime than the extension spring. I have no fucking clue how it broke. I'll post pictures if you'd like. It broke right at the spot where the main thing meets the part that holds the tubing.

Still crazy. I'm not sure how to explain this as I've never seen anything that would suggest anything like this happening. I'll definitely be aware of it though, and alert people if it's a perpetual occurrence.

EDIT: Maybe a thicker eyebolt that was actually printed and apart of the eyebolt adapter, would work. Not sure that would be any stronger than the nylon eyebolt though, even if it's twice as thick. Something maybe to try though.

Edited by Ryan201821, 06 July 2014 - 01:29 AM.

#15 KaneTheMediocre

KaneTheMediocre

Belligerent Asshole

• Members
  • 613 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 02:28 AM

Maybe a thicker eyebolt that was actually printed and apart of the eyebolt adapter, would work. Not sure that would be any stronger than the nylon eyebolt though, even if it's twice as thick. Something maybe to try though.

Maybe try a small steel eyebolt like 9489T46? Small plastic threads scare me, so maybe a captured nut coupler? The big eyebolt thing started when with rubber bands and latex tubing, which presented problems that extension springs don't have. Make ES blasters?

The number of used ESLTs still seems small enough to me that this could be a problem we are not aware of, especially if older ones have been used with the 1/4-20 eyebolts.
RAINBOW CLAN FTW
I'm Purple

My Half-Baked MHA Site

#16 Thorn

Thorn

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 10:27 AM

Maybe try a small steel eyebolt like 9489T46? Small plastic threads scare me, so maybe a captured nut coupler? The big eyebolt thing started when with rubber bands and latex tubing, which presented problems that extension springs don't have. Make ES blasters?

The number of used ESLTs still seems small enough to me that this could be a problem we are not aware of, especially if older ones have been used with the 1/4-20 eyebolts.

When the eyebolt broke, It was using an extension spring, so I don't think that's the problem. I think the main point of vulnerability is right were the nylon nut is, and right before the actual eyebolt. I have noticed that that part flexes a lot. Maybe if you had the very end of the adapter a wider ID so that it would sleeve around the nut, and the only exposed piece was the eyebolt itself, that might work. A steel eyebolt would obviously work, however, it would add a lot of weight to the blaster. I do have steel eyebolts at my local ACE though.

Edited by Thorn, 06 July 2014 - 10:29 AM.

#17 KaneTheMediocre

KaneTheMediocre

Belligerent Asshole

• Members
  • 613 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 12:11 PM

When the eyebolt broke, It was using an extension spring, so I don't think that's the problem. I think the main point of vulnerability is right were the nylon nut is, and right before the actual eyebolt. I have noticed that that part flexes a lot. Maybe if you had the very end of the adapter a wider ID so that it would sleeve around the nut, and the only exposed piece was the eyebolt itself, that might work. A steel eyebolt would obviously work, however, it would add a lot of weight to the blaster. I do have steel eyebolts at my local ACE though.

The weight is the reason to use a much smaller than 1/4-20 eyebolt if it's steel. Externally reinforcing the nylon eyebolt falls somewhere between dicey and futile in my opinion, and the steel eyebolt can be pretty tiny and still be able to take more load than the #10 or 1/4" nylon version.
RAINBOW CLAN FTW
I'm Purple

My Half-Baked MHA Site

#18 Zorns Lemma

Zorns Lemma

Sir Scrt

• Moderators
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 03:41 PM

The swing nipple seems like a weak point on the part where if you apply a sharp force to it from the side it can break really cleanly.

I don't think this is a problem with the new 3d printed air redirects, or if you choose to Nerf in a pattycake region where you can stand still and hose people all day.
"In short, the same knowledge that underlies the ability to produce correct judgement is also the knowledge that underlies the ability to recognize correct judgement. To lack the former is to be deficient in the latter."
Kruger and Dunning (1999)

#19 Thorn

Thorn

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 07:09 PM

The swing nipple seems like a weak point on the part where if you apply a sharp force to it from the side it can break really cleanly.

I don't think this is a problem with the new 3d printed air redirects, or if you choose to Nerf in a pattycake region where you can stand still and hose people all day.

Thing is, I actually didn't hit the nipple on anything. Because the wye isn't actually anchored in the plunger tube, when the plunger head hits it, a lot of the force goes directly into the where the nipple meets the front tube. The reason this is is because if the nipple wasn't there, the funny wye actually would be able to move farther forward into the front tube. This coupled with me not having padding, and it doesn't seem too unreasonable that it broke. I'm pretty sure that problem would go away if the funny wye was secured in the plunger tube mechanically. But you're right, this problem is nonexistent with the new redirect pieces.

Edited by Thorn, 06 July 2014 - 07:10 PM.

#20 Ryan201821

Ryan201821

Prince Edward

• Contributors
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 07:57 PM

Thing is, I actually didn't hit the nipple on anything. Because the wye isn't actually anchored in the plunger tube, when the plunger head hits it, a lot of the force goes directly into the where the nipple meets the front tube. The reason this is is because if the nipple wasn't there, the funny wye actually would be able to move farther forward into the front tube. This coupled with me not having padding, and it doesn't seem too unreasonable that it broke. I'm pretty sure that problem would go away if the funny wye was secured in the plunger tube mechanically. But you're right, this problem is nonexistent with the new redirect pieces.

Wait, hold on...

So you didn't secure the plunger tube at all? That kinda explains a lot.

#21 Thorn

Thorn

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 08:01 PM

Wait, hold on...

So you didn't secure the plunger tube at all? That kinda explains a lot.

The plunger tube is secured to the handle clamp, however the 1/4 inch screws don't go through all the way to the funny wye. It was made following your writeup completely. Did I fuck up somewhere?

Edited by Thorn, 06 July 2014 - 08:12 PM.

#22 Ryan201821

Ryan201821

Prince Edward

• Contributors
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 08:14 PM

The plunger tube is secured to the handle clamp, however the 1/4 inch screws don't go through all the way to the funny wye. It was made following your writeup completely.

Edit: I guess you just read it wrong.

Secure the plunger tube to the handle clamp with two 1/2" long screws, one of each side. It should go through the swing x wye as well.

Edited by Ryan201821, 06 July 2014 - 08:16 PM.

#23 Thorn

Thorn

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 08:18 PM

Edit: I guess you just read it wrong.

Crap. I feel like a complete and utter retard now. Well that explains everything. Sorry about that and thanks.

Edited by Thorn, 06 July 2014 - 11:53 PM.

#24 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Moderators
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:30 AM

Maybe try a small steel eyebolt like 9489T46? Small plastic threads scare me, so maybe a captured nut coupler? The big eyebolt thing started when with rubber bands and latex tubing, which presented problems that extension springs don't have.

Something I've wondered - would it be possible to bend an eye into the end of the PR instead of trying to attach one? Aluminum should be way stronger than any plastic eye, and bending it into a 'good-enough' eye shape shouldn't be hard at all.

Great job on the writeup/blaster guys, this thing has intrigued me from the start. This particular implementation looks significantly harder to machine conventionally though.

#25 Naturalman7

Naturalman7

• Contributors
  • 158 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:11 AM

....Or if you're hardcore and have access to CNC equipment, you can just machine the piece out of a chunk of aluminum and it'll never break.

Yea, I've got CNC; I'll do that. What material do you 3D print with and how strong is it? Besides aluminum, what other materials would you think would work for the rest of the 3D printed parts? I was thinking just HDPE.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: homemade, writeup, 3D printing, bungee

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users