Raider Overhaul Write-up

Bolt brass'd, deadspace removal, AR removal, spring additon, reinf

30 replies to this topic

#1 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 05:16 PM

Here we go. I've done about everything I can think of to my raider.

AR Removal:

I really don't think a picture is necessary and I didn't take one. Just drill through the bolt from the back. It's that simple.

Brass'd Bolt:

Take some very thin sandpaper that also has a fine grit. I used 220, not only because of its number, but also because it was paper-backed and very thin (rather than that cloth-backed stuff). Glue some to 1/2" brass like so.
Posted Image

Sand out the insides with your new tool until 17/32" brass will fit snugly. Now take the other end of the 1/2" bras and stick it down until you get to the part of the barrel where it begins to telescope. Mark how far the brass is inserted and cut a piece of 17/32" brass that's that length. If you sanded it not quite enough, like myself, then you can just force the brass in without needing glue. Otherwise, glue it in.
Posted Image
You can see that a bit of the brass extends into the part of the bolt that holds the dart before it gets pushed into the bolt. This is because the farther in parts of the bolt didn't get sanded enough, so my brass wouldn't go all the way in, but I couldn't get it back out. I had to dremel off part of the brass so darts would still load.

Deadspace Removal:

Lube the eraser of a pencil and stick that end of it into the hole from the barrel side of the bolt. Then fill the entire back of the bolt with hot glue. Lube up some rod that fits in the bolt and shove it in to move the glue down every once in a while while you fill it. Otherwise the hot glue will just plug the top. When you're done and it's cooled, remove the pencil and drill through the hot glue.
Posted Image

Reinforcements:

Put on some foam-rubber as shown. I got it from a gasket toilet thingy. Don't do too much like I did, or else you'll have a hard time putting in and removing clips.
Posted Image

Add another catch spring or replace the old one.
Posted Image

Put on some E-putty here.
Posted Image

You'll need to sand it like so if you did too much like me or it will get in the way of the catch and the gun won't prime.
Posted Image

Spring Addition:

Glue on a segment of pipe that the spring you integrate will fit snugly around. If you don't do this the spring will get in the way of the stock spring and they'll bunch up. Make sure the pipe is long enough to clear the spring rest when the gun isn't primed. Salvo stock barrels fit nicely inside a [k26].
Posted Image

Add some E-putty for good measure.
Posted Image

Dremel out the back of this piece.
Posted Image

Drill and dremel out anything else that would inhibit the spring. It's easiest to unscrew the stock portion when dealing with this tube.
Posted Image

This is how everything will work:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Ranges:

40 feet with a modified streamline. 25 without the [k26].

Final Thoughts:

I'm pretty disappointed with the raider as a whole. Even with 35 shots, there really isn't much you can do with 40 feet. I know some people think range doesn't matter at all, but these people must then nerf with terrible nerfers. Any half-competent nerfer with any half-competent primary will nail you at 40 feet. Anything that hits 70 or more will also be extremely hard to dodge at 40 feet. The only places I could see the raider being very useful are in zombies or in an arena like lazer kraze, where everything is in close-quarters. But don't let that dissuade you from doing this mod, it'll make the gun about as good as it's gonna be unless someone finds some amazing way to replace the plunger tube.

The real awesome part of the raider is putting the drum mag on a brass'd LS that can accept longer darts (like HC's).

New Step! >>> Modular Spring Set-up

Edited by TantumBull, 21 August 2009 - 03:30 PM.

#2 A side of nerf

A side of nerf

Georgia Nerf Lives

• Members
  • 755 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 05:37 PM

I know some people think range doesn't matter at all, but these people must then nerf with terrible nerfers. Any half-competent nerfer with any half-competent primary will nail you at 40 feet.

Amen brother.

As fun as it was for everyone to say "range doesn't matter" for so long, up to a certain point, that statement is complete bullshit.

Tantum: Great job with the gun. Even though you didn't get the results you wanted, it doesn't matter. You made an advancement with a new gun and good job for taking the plunge. I wonder though if maybe there is too much oomph comeing from the gun to get good ranges...o.O
Southeast Nerf Contingent

#3 Echnalaid

Echnalaid

• Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 05:40 PM

I know some people think range doesn't matter at all, but these people must then nerf with terrible nerfers.

You never met Muttonchops.

Nice mod though.

Edited by Echnalaid, 20 August 2009 - 05:41 PM.

There was something on the bottom of the ad that said erotyka. Sounds like something spicy -Renegademilitia15

#4 ZACHARIAH

ZACHARIAH

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 05:48 PM

Are you serious, you overhauled it and it gets 40 feet? Anyways, nice mod.

Edited by ZACHARIAH, 20 August 2009 - 05:48 PM.

"When the pin is pulled Mr. grenade is not your friend." -US army training manual

#5 Poseidon

Poseidon

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 06:05 PM

Nice work Tantum. I'm admittedly a little sad at the 40 foot range. I thought it was going to be more as Ice's stock Raider I think got higher then that; I could be wrong though. Anyway, good to see someone got something up there for it; thanks.
Faith is a living, daring confidence in God's grace, so sure and certain that a man could stake his life on it a thousand times.
-Martin Luther

In Soviet Russia, Mudkipz liek u.

#6 flashflint

flashflint

• Members
  • 607 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 06:09 PM

I am shocked about the 40 feet. I think your spring could be TOO strong. I just have an external maverick spring added to mine with removed ars and I am breaking 40 feet.

#7 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 06:38 PM

I know some people think range doesn't matter at all, but these people must then nerf with terrible nerfers. Any half-competent nerfer with any half-competent primary will nail you at 40 feet.

Amen brother.

As fun as it was for everyone to say "range doesn't matter" for so long, up to a certain point, that statement is complete bullshit.

Tantum: Great job with the gun. Even though you didn't get the results you wanted, it doesn't matter. You made an advancement with a new gun and good job for taking the plunge. I wonder though if maybe there is too much oomph comeing from the gun to get good ranges...o.O

Finally someone that agrees! And thanks for the compliments. Oh and about the oomph thing, this fucker is LOUD.

I know some people think range doesn't matter at all, but these people must then nerf with terrible nerfers.

Nice mod though.

No but I've heard of him. Rugby players are exempt from what you quoted.

No I'm lying, it actually hits 500 feet flat :D . But all jokes aside, thanks.

Nice work Tantum. I'm admittedly a little sad at the 40 foot range. I thought it was going to be more as Ice's stock Raider I think got higher then that; I could be wrong though. Anyway, good to see someone got something up there for it; thanks.

If you remember correctly than Ice is a filthy liar. His raider was not hitting more than 15 feet stock. And thanks.

I am shocked about the 40 feet. I think your spring could be TOO strong. I just have an external maverick spring added to mine with removed ars and I am breaking 40 feet.

Yeah, I was as well. You may have a pount about the spring being a problem, but not that it's too strong. Because the tube that the stock comes out of is so wide, the spring may be bowing out and catching on something.

-------------------------------------------------------

Updates to write-up:
-ranges without spring
-dead-space removal step that I forgot to do

Edited by TantumBull, 20 August 2009 - 06:40 PM.

#8 Nerf Bros

Nerf Bros

• Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 06:43 PM

I think the [k26] is a little too much overkill. I'd first try it with an external maverick or nf, and step up from there. Nice mod, this gun is developing well, but like the recon is just well hyped crap. Put the clip on an angel breeched ls and call it a day.
Oh, and if you don't think range matters, try nerfing with ryan mcnumbers, he's probably the best at utilizing the +bows 100+ foot effective range, and it shows. Range only matters if you can use it.
We have no sig.

#9 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 06:51 PM

I think the [k26] is a little too much overkill. I'd first try it with an external maverick or nf, and step up from there. Nice mod, this gun is developing well, but like the recon is just well hyped crap. Put the clip on an angel breeched ls and call it a day.
Oh, and if you don't think range matters, try nerfing with ryan mcnumbers, he's probably the best at utilizing the +bows 100+ foot effective range, and it shows. Range only matters if you can use it.

Thanks, but the fact the [k26] is strong shouldn't be hurting ranges. And range always matters because it is directly related to how fast your darts travel and how much time your opponent has to move by the time the dart reaches them, not because it allows you to take pot-shots.

Edit: Nerf Bros, that's not in bold because I'm yelling at you, it's so dizzy won't miss it. :D

Edited by TantumBull, 20 August 2009 - 06:53 PM.

#10 Poseidon

Poseidon

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:22 PM

If you remember correctly than Ice is a filthy liar. His raider was not hitting more than 15 feet stock. And thanks.

Well, it was actually with AR's punched out and he got 34-68ft. Not too sure what that means for your 40, but at least it's more consistent :D.

Oh, and here's his video for it in case you were curious.

Edited by Poseidon, 20 August 2009 - 07:23 PM.

Faith is a living, daring confidence in God's grace, so sure and certain that a man could stake his life on it a thousand times.
-Martin Luther

In Soviet Russia, Mudkipz liek u.

#11 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:33 PM

Well, it was actually with AR's punched out and he got 34-68ft. Not too sure what that means for your 40, but at least it's more consistent :D .

Oh, and here's his video for it in case you were curious.

Dunno what to say to that. Maybe Uber's right and I just got a lemon. Or maybe the spring is bowing out and causing a number of problems.

Quick Update: Right now I'm working on something that attaches to that back grey piece and would sit inside the stock that allows me to go back and forth between a full length [k26], a shorter one, or NF springs. It will also keep the longer [k26] centered. It involves the plunger tube from a firelfy.

Edited by TantumBull, 20 August 2009 - 07:34 PM.

#12 MoonMaster

MoonMaster

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 09:38 PM

I think that your dead space reduction is hurting your performance.
Dead space inhibits range far less than airflow.
You have effectively severely limited airflow for a small amount of dead space reduction.
I think you should try and remove the hot glue, and see if that helps range.

Just my $0.02

5. Protip: sarcasm is good for making someone else look like more of an idiot than they already do. However, if you are an idiot to start with, using sarcasm just makes you look like a COLOSSAL idiot.

#13 ice

ice

• Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 09:48 PM

Updates to write-up:
-ranges without spring

My raider was using streamline, not stefans or converted darts. Streamline fly all over the place, and produce a large difference in ranges. Mine hit 25 stock though.
I'm also surprized at the low range. Did you try streamlines? Sure there inaccurate, but with 35 shots...

Edited by ice, 20 August 2009 - 09:49 PM.

<!--quoteo(post=206428:date=Jan 25 2009, 05:17 PM:name=Mukersman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mukersman @ Jan 25 2009, 05:17 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
Turd stefans. When I pulled these out of the pillow case i was just like, what... the... fuck...
Muker
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#14 Horus

Horus

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 10:15 PM

I must say, I'm rather unimpressed. I have the stock spring and a Recon spring laced together in mine, with none of those extra-spring-in-the-plunger-cover/stock shenanigans. The only reinforcement I did was put hot glue on the screw cap that secures the priming rod to the plunger tube. I removed the AR. I use stock darts. Mine easily passes 50 feet.

I can take it outside and measure ranges exactly tomorrow to verify.

But I think you got a lemon.
That is all.

#15 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 10:17 PM

I think that your dead space reduction is hurting your performance.
Dead space inhibits range far less than airflow.
You have effectively severely limited airflow for a small amount of dead space reduction.
I think you should try and remove the hot glue, and see if that helps range.

Just my $0.02

A valid point, except for that I didn't make a smaller hole than the hole where the AR was that was already restricting flow. But maybe Ice drilled a larger hole than I did and that explains his ranges. I'll go take a look at his thread again. It can be sometimes hard to tell when flow is better than less deadspace.

Updates to write-up:
-ranges without spring

My raider was using streamline, not stefans or converted darts. Streamline fly all over the place, and produce a large difference in ranges. Mine hit 25 stock though.
I'm also surprized at the low range. Did you try streamlines? Sure there inaccurate, but with 35 shots...

I've tried streamlines and they go all the fuck over the place, but yeah, there are 35 shots.

Edited by TantumBull, 20 August 2009 - 10:18 PM.

#16 Your nerf killa

Your nerf killa

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 01:09 AM

Nice mod and all. But did you even do anything to the seal?
" Talio likes to eat his own shit. " crispy

" Okay, I have a few things to say:

1. My shit is glorious.
2. Sitting around at a computer all day eating chips is fucking awesome.
3. I liked how you called me big meany head. I'll use that one next time Vacc calls me a faggot. " Talio

#17 Zorns Lemma

Zorns Lemma

Sir Scrt

• Moderators
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 11:35 AM

Nice mod though.

You've never nerfed with Daniel Beaver either.

Your mediocre range improvements are probably actually due to the dead space removal. Airflow is more important here than pressurization, especially because you're using a short barrel.
"In short, the same knowledge that underlies the ability to produce correct judgement is also the knowledge that underlies the ability to recognize correct judgement. To lack the former is to be deficient in the latter."
Kruger and Dunning (1999)

#18 Lt Stefan

Lt Stefan

• Members
  • 892 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 01:08 PM

Is it possible to mod this to use, for example, sonic whistlers? Because out of any stock darts, I find they travel farthest and are the most accurate. I'm saying this because, well at least with the Recons I've modded, stefans seem to be too heavy and too small to work well with the gun. Maybe the same is true for the Raider. It's just that using sonics would seem to make the gun as useful as possible, at least indoors.

#19 Hi Yah

Hi Yah

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 03:06 PM

Im a little suprised by your ranges, but none-the-less, great mod.
The yellow balls are also slightly smaller in diameter than the green ones.

#20 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 03:10 PM

Nice mod and all. But did you even do anything to the seal?

I did at first, but the seal was already pretty good, so I chose having signifigantly less friction for an almost as good seal.

Nice mod though.

Your mediocre range improvements are probably actually due to the dead space removal. Airflow is more important here than pressurization, especially because you're using a short barrel.

Thank you for the suggestion. After talking with ice about this and his set-up, and after your suggestion, I think I'll probably get rid of the hot glue and drill a larger hole in the AR.

Is it possible to mod this to use, for example, sonic whistlers? Because out of any stock darts, I find they travel farthest and are the most accurate. I'm saying this because, well at least with the Recons I've modded, stefans seem to be too heavy and too small to work well with the gun. Maybe the same is true for the Raider. It's just that using sonics would seem to make the gun as useful as possible, at least indoors.

I'm not sure, you probably could. I'm not using stefans though, I'm just weighting the streamlines so they're more accurate.

Im a little suprised by your ranges, but none-the-less, great mod.

Thanks.

Edited by TantumBull, 21 August 2009 - 03:11 PM.

#21 yahman1254

yahman1254

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 03:15 PM

Interesting results..In mine, i didn't have a long enough drillbit, so I got the entire AR out with a screwdriver and hammer. I had to add a little glob of hot glue to prevent vacuum loading, but mine seems to get about 40ft range with absolutely no spring mods. Seems like air restriction makes a large difference.

#22 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 03:26 PM

Modular Spring Set-up

The following piece allows you to use shorter springs and also allows you to use them when the stock is removed. It also keeps longer springs straight in the stock. You're going to need a Firefly plunger tube. Cut off the front like so with pipe cutters. Shave off the screw holes. Shave off the outer lip at the end of the plunger tube.
Posted Image

Cut a short segment of 3/4" PVC and glue it to the front end of the Firelfy plunger tube. Keep everything as centered as possible.
Posted Image

Dremel and sand out the inside of the PVC so the ID is the same as the ID of the Firefly plunger tube.
Posted Image

Now glue the exposed end of the PVC to the gray piece that houses the plunger tube and that the stock connects to. Again, keep everything centered.
Posted Image

Add some epoxy putty just to be safe. Sand it down so the assembly still fits in the stock.
Posted Image

Now if you're a stupid shit like me who didn't thing he would ever need the Firefly spring rest again, make a new one. I just used 3/4" CPVC with holes drilled in it and a bar going through it. 1/2" PVC will also work but won't fit as snugly in the plunger tube of the Firefly.
Posted Image

Here's what everything looks like without the stock.
Posted Image

Enjoy!

Edited by TantumBull, 21 August 2009 - 03:28 PM.

#23 flashflint

flashflint

• Members
  • 607 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 03:49 PM

I also, found that the plunger cover that as sent out as a replacement on the recalled recons works very well to house extra springs. As it is longer than the stock plunger cover

#24 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 06:16 PM

Nice mod though.

Legs are among the most sorely underutilized tools of the nerfer. Still, I tend to agree with TantrumBull's sentiments about ranges: even if you are shooting close-in, it is much easier to hit someone with a high-powered blaster than it is with a recon (unless you have Muttonchop's fabled superpowers).

Has anyone tried to remove some of the dead space on the raider? i.e., tried some sort of a straw mod? It seems like that would be a hell of a source of inefficiency (although, I'm not convinced of the effectiveness of straw mods).

I'm actually glad that at least 40ft is possible from the raider. That's about all you'll need in most indoor wars. The stock 25ft ranges seriously hurt its effectiveness, even indoors.

Edited by Daniel Beaver, 21 August 2009 - 06:18 PM.

#25 Renegademilitia15

Renegademilitia15

• Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 07:23 PM

Cool beans. Where did you get the Raider? I'm dying to get one.......unless you got it on an Ebay auction, then I'm screwed.

Oh, and to all you pussies whining about his ranges:

What exactly do you expect from a sideways recon? The only thing recons/raiders are even remotely useful for are indoor wars, and trying to one-up airsofters. No one is seriously bring a raider out on to a normal nerfing field and expect to do decent.

Edited by Renegademilitia15, 21 August 2009 - 07:24 PM.

Singled RFS
FA_24's response to Ice's back pain thread:

I used to have that problem until I got circumcised. 15 pounds later I was able to stand up straight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users