Photo

Nerf Homemade Combustion Grenade

a stationary combustion grenade(blueprints)

27 replies to this topic

#1 Zudikas

Zudikas

• Banned
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 07:05 PM

Hey nerfhaven, its zudikas and i have this idea on a stationary combustion grenade and i'm calling it the stingwar mine. The blueprints are below

prototype

my youtube video has my thoughts on this and this can be viewed by typing "stingwar mine on youtube"
my youtube username is Zudikas16

Edited by Zudikas, 05 May 2008 - 07:08 PM.

#2 Swords

Swords

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 07:13 PM

If you came to one of my wars, I'd be like, sorry, I don't want to play with you. Mainly because we host nerf wars. I think that crosses the line of what should be allowed at a nerf war. In my opinion, that is not much better than a bomb. But if its just for experimental fun, that is a pretty cool idea.
SuperGeek.

#3 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 07:18 PM

How about we use Nerf guns instead of potato guns to fire darts?
SexD Warves

#4 Zudikas

Zudikas

• Banned
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 07:21 PM

If you came to one of my wars, I'd be like, sorry, I don't want to play with you. Mainly because we host nerf wars. I think that crosses the line of what should be allowed at a nerf war. In my opinion, that is not much better than a bomb. But if its just for experimental fun, that is a pretty cool idea.

Yea, i won't be attempting to use it at large nerf wars. But just for fun in safe areas.

How about we use Nerf guns instead of potato guns to fire darts?

Its just a potato cannon combsustion chamber. And with that many barrels securely attached, i there would be many places for the pressure to escape thus not resulting in an explosion.

#5 venom213

venom213

• Validating
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 07:25 PM

Finally you posted something. But a tip, you should fix your post quality (capitalization and punctuation mostly). But otherwise good first post.

Personally, I think it is really stupid. Me, nor anybody else who organizes wars in MN or other states where we would nerf would allow that. That is saying that it actually worked, which is highly unlikely. You said, in your attempt to shoot darts out of your potato cannon, they were ripped upped, burned, singed, etc. Then I even saw the darts in person. I'm sure that is what would happen with this. Another problem is letting out the force evenly. A potato cannon works one way, thus this is not a concern. But how can you be sure with something that has multiple barrels like this. There are a number of possible factors that might effect how evenly the force is let out. If you ever go through with this I will have to be there to see it's impracticality in action, like I have with your previous projects.

Edit: Also, I would never let you use this thing, even when you and I are just sort of messing around like last night. Your air gun is pretty much a bomb as it is, but this is way worse. I've heard plenty of stories about potato guns exploding and whatnot. And just because I occasionally use a barricade buster, doesn't mean that mines, and grenades are somehow practical. The only reason I use a barricade buster is that I just happened to have one of those frisbees. Had I not, I definitely wouldn't have gone out of my way searching for one. Just stick to what nerfing is really about, blasters.

Edited by venom213, 05 May 2008 - 07:31 PM.

#6 Zudikas

Zudikas

• Banned
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 07:30 PM

Finally you posted something. But a tip, you should fix your post quality (capitalization and punctuation mostly). But otherwise good first post.

Personally, I think it is really stupid. Me, nor anybody else who organizes wars in MN or other states where we would nerf would allow that. That is saying that it actually worked, which is highly unlikely. You said, in your attempt to shoot darts out of your potato cannon, they were ripped upped, burned, singed, etc. Then I even saw the darts in person. I'm sure that is what would happen with this. Another problem is letting out the force evenly. A potato cannon works one way, thus this is not a concern. But how can you be sure with something that has multiple barrels like this. There are a number of possible factors that might effect how evenly the force is let out. If you ever go through with this I will have to be there to see it's impracticality in action, like I have with your previous projects.

I'm planning to have it spark in the center of the combustion chamber or in two different places. You'd be welcome to see its first test run. i'm not planning to use it in wars, but just for fun in a safe environment.

#7 eddieoctane

eddieoctane

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 08:31 PM

Well, aside from the legal ramifications of setting up a home-made bomb in the woods somewhere, this is a disaster waiting to happen. You are using fire to shoot foam at people. There is a real risk of partially melting that foam, and it causing 2nd or 3rd degree burns on any exposed skin it come into contact with. If I got burned from a half-melted piece of foam hitting me in the face, I'd be out for blood. I think everyone else would be, too. This is really a bad idea.
C8H18

#8 Shadowblade

Shadowblade

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 09:05 PM

Yeah, if it's just for fun, go for it at your own risk...but please dont' use anything that involves combustion in a war.

I would know, my friend built a mini-spud gun that fired 5/8" stefans (basically tipped with 4-5 BBs...armor piercing if you would say) and we fired it at our school for a demonstration. Got about 250 ft before it hit the outdoor ampitheater with a nice, loud clang. The dart left a dent in the sheet metal from 250 ft away. Now imagine that thing hitting flesh...
Proverbs says, "The wise man doth not shoot the Viking in the ding ding for he shall pummel thee."

But you can totally shoot Vacc there, he loves it!

~Talio

#9 venom213

venom213

• Validating
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 09:51 PM

Yeah, if it's just for fun, go for it at your own risk...but please dont' use anything that involves combustion in a war.

I would know, my friend built a mini-spud gun that fired 5/8" stefans (basically tipped with 4-5 BBs...armor piercing if you would say) and we fired it at our school for a demonstration. Got about 250 ft before it hit the outdoor ampitheater with a nice, loud clang. The dart left a dent in the sheet metal from 250 ft away. Now imagine that thing hitting flesh...

That's basically what I have been trying to tell him all along. If you have spent as much time with Zudikas in person as I have, you start to realize how stupid/dangerous some of his ideas are. If he does go through with it, I will be the first and probably only person on the forum to actually see it up close and in real life.

#10 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 10:18 PM

Well, aside from the legal ramifications of setting up a home-made bomb in the woods somewhere, this is a disaster waiting to happen. You are using fire to shoot foam at people. There is a real risk of partially melting that foam, and it causing 2nd or 3rd degree burns on any exposed skin it come into contact with. If I got burned from a half-melted piece of foam hitting me in the face, I'd be out for blood. I think everyone else would be, too. This is really a bad idea.

In combustion weapons, the flame is not in contact long enough for the dart to melt or catch fire. It is not different from firing it out of an air gun.

Well, except for the idiocy of creating a tank to fire darts via exploding gases. Look how many grenade topics were created this week, and people still don't realize how impractical and sometimes dangerous (mousetraps, combustion) they are.
The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

Founder of the Shadow Militia.
Founder of Nightshade Laboratories and The Nightshade Armament Corporation.

#11 Zudikas

Zudikas

• Banned
  • 29 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 06:55 PM

Wow, it wouldn't cause second or third degree burns. The darts don't even start on fire! i agree with the bad idea, haha, but it wouldn't cause burns.

#12 mystefansdontflystraight

mystefansdontflystraight

• Members
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 08:00 PM

It brings back very bad memories of when my friend got high and poured zippo fluid all over his dart, set it on fire, and then shot it at me with a NF. It set my shirt on fire, and I got a large burn on my shoulder, that I still have scars from. Trust me, foam and fire were never meant to mix. No one would allow you to use that within 200ft of them.
QUOTE(Blacksunshine @ Dec 24 2009, 02:15 PM) View Post

QUOTE(white moonlight @ Dec 23 2009, 01:29 PM) View Post

It's just screaming to be rearloading...

I seen a movie about that once.

#13 PvtMcFlurry

PvtMcFlurry

• Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 02:36 PM

My friend says you should use this before you hurt yourself
QUOTE(Cannonball @ Oct 26 2007, 11:47 PM) View Post

I'm anxiously awaiting the hasbro over throw.

One Man Clan, or One Man Company?

Crossbow Mod.

#14 pizlo

pizlo

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 05:53 PM

Even in a totally sealed chamber with the right hairspray/air mix the chamber will NEVER reach 90 PSI. So if your pipe is rated to that, make your "bombs" as much as you want. And, don't expect too much power with all the barrels.

And if you can set a dart on fire with a hairspray combustion, and no lighter fluid and you catch it on video, I'll take a video of myself doing anything you want, anywhere!

Edited by pizlo, 13 May 2008 - 05:55 PM.

#15 eddieoctane

eddieoctane

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 10:55 PM

And if you can set a dart on fire with a hairspray combustion, and no lighter fluid and you catch it on video, I'll take a video of myself doing anything you want, anywhere!

Combustion doesn't necessarily involve an explosion. Explosions release energy, kinetic energy in your proposed nerf mine, and have a rapid increase in volume. If I soak a dart in hairspray and drop a match on it, we have combustion. You just made yourself someone's youtube bitch.

Moral of this story, choose your words carefully.
C8H18

#16 pizlo

pizlo

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 03:38 PM

You mean the difference between deflagration and detonation? If you mean detonation as explosion, the your basically right. The flame front experiences a sudden acceleration from turbulent flame front velocities to detonation velocities (over 3km/s in some cases). The mechanisms behind this are numerous, and not fully understood. But all you need to knows is detonation has the power to shatter mettle chambers. But if I remember correctly the chances of it with hairspray are non existant. As for a 20X hybrid mix, ( the most powerfull to date, and done less than a week ago) the probability of detonation is probably 1 in less than 100. Remember, you can make a very safe hairspray gun out of cardboard. Even if the cardboard is soaked in hairspray it wont 'explode" and it wont ignite. even if it did, the fraction of a second of flame, and the shrapnel (make of cardboard) wont hhhurt you in the slightest.

#17 Zudikas

Zudikas

• Banned
  • 29 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 07:27 PM

Even in a totally sealed chamber with the right hairspray/air mix the chamber will NEVER reach 90 PSI. So if your pipe is rated to that, make your "bombs" as much as you want. And, don't expect too much power with all the barrels.

Ha, that will be hard to do, 9 streamlines in a potatoe cannon didn't even catch fire, they just got scorched. Also, thanks for being one of the people who doesn't yell at me for this idea.

#18 AlaskaRecon

AlaskaRecon

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 08:32 PM

Ha, that will be hard to do, 9 streamlines in a potatoe cannon didn't even catch fire, they just got scorched. Also, thanks for being one of the people who doesn't yell at me for this idea.

Zudikas, launch your streamlines out of a potato cannon at a campfire. BAM dart on fire, hairspray combustion, youtube guinipig PLUS PLUS PLUS

also I think you need to get off the crack and alchohol and get your head out of the pyroclastic clouds before you kill someone, just a thought
"How did he get hit with friendly fire?"
"His throat, ran into my knife"

OH go and Nerf with you Neopet!
Why dont yo... why did you have to bring that up?

#19 pizlo

pizlo

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 03:45 PM

Zudikas, launch your streamlines out of a potato cannon at a campfire. BAM dart on fire, hairspray combustion, youtube guinipig PLUS PLUS PLUS

Any gun that shoots darts that slow through a flame is a piece of garbage. I chronographed my gun shooting a nerf dart and was hitting 300 FPS at 40 PSI. Thats one third of the pressure I can take it too. The gun you saw was probably made by some noob who has no real knowledge about potato/nerfguns. He sounds much like yourself. Come on, you ever put your finger through a flame? I bet you cant move it at more than 20 feet per second, and, honestly how hot did it get??

also I think you need to get off the crack and alchohol and get your head out of the pyroclastic clouds before you kill someone, just a thought

KK man, lets just assume that his main chamber can hold back 5 PSI which is less than your lungs can make. it takes much less than that to push a dart out of a small barrel. And there are around 50 barrels. The 5 psi chamber would stay intact. Theres no way PVC could even crack with that. Unrated PVC(DWV) can take at least 50 PSI so even if he uses unrated parts hes still fine. I'd build this myself just to show you guys, but I really don't feel like cutting 50 holes in some pvc.
BTW I'd fire a gun that can put a potato 600 ft. (we measured) at my stomach from 2 feet away with a nerf dart in it. the worst i could get is a bruise. ;)

Damnit guys don't say things like that if you don't have any real knowledge about them besides "you'll blow yourself up"
And accusing someone of being an alcoholic is not very nice. Alcoholism is a few thousand times more dangerous than anything here.

Edited by pizlo, 22 May 2008 - 03:47 PM.

#20 nerfturtle

nerfturtle

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 11:16 PM

Nothing mixes better than nerf guns and IEDs!
The tough coughs as he ploughs the dough.
-Dr. Suess

#21 ultra920

ultra920

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 05:41 PM

"BTW I'd fire a gun that can put a potato 600 ft. (we measured) at my stomach from 2 feet away with a nerf dart in it. the worst i could get is a bruise. -_- "

Who are you? Steve-O? WAY to mutch power. If it can launch a potato 600 feet, you shouldn't be aiming that thing near people. Period. Titans shooting 170ft or so give bruises. Do what you want though, i'm not stopping you from killing yourself.
There is no Ultra, only a 920.

PSN: ultra920 MGO:ultra920 shoot me an MGO invite if you play

#22 Shrub

Shrub

• Banned
  • 862 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 06:12 PM

A potatoe 600ft think about a 1in. Streamline or Stefan (They fly.) probably could reach 1000ft easy.

Put a little gas on the darts stand back 100ft. and albeit that they burn to ashes. Muhahahahahah
Favorite Quotes:
Sorry to hear that man, it's like that one famous bumper sticker, "Shit Happens"
it still seems that your balls drop very rapidly

#23 zaphodB

zaphodB

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 06:20 PM

You're an idiot. Here's a list why:

1. A potato will go further than a stefen or streamline. There's the whole airspeed proportional to drag thing that has to do with density.

2. This is an old thread, and about %10 of your post consited of your "laughter" ignoring the huge block of quoted text.

3. That isn't even remotely what albeit means.
Alice came to the fork in the road.
"Which road do I take?" she asked.
"Where do you want to go?" responded the Cheshire cat.
"I don't know," Alice answered.
"Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

#24 notthedinkus

notthedinkus

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 07:47 PM

prototype

Im surprised that still no one has bothered to point out that a prototype is a working model proving your concept. All your "prototype" is is a poorly drawn paint image.
WANTED: Somebody to go back in time
with me. This is not a joke. P.O. Box ***,
Oakview CA 93022. You'll get paid after
we get back. Must bring your own
weapons. Safety not guaranteed. I have
only done this once before.

#25 pizlo

pizlo

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 07:59 PM

Simply put force is mass and velocity. A potato has a TON more force because it weighs a lot more. I can put a D cell batter much farther than a nerf dart!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users