Buzzbee Rfr Modification

WARNING: Big pics

29 replies to this topic

#1 deaddumpster

deaddumpster

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 08:08 PM

Now, all of us here know how much the Buzzbee Rapid Fire Rifle sucks. At a cheap price tag and low-quality structure, it's no surprise. Here's a list of things I hate about it while stock:

1: It's poor stock range.
2: It's tendency to jam.
3: Basic shell mods (CPVCed shells) do little to help the range.
4: Catch is very weak and so is the shell ejection system.
5: It has a very weak spring.
6: The long barrel catches on the dart frequently and sends it out of control, killing the range
7: People always tend to break it as they tried to open it (though it was as easy to open as an NF for me)

Now, in NO WAY does this mod make it a primary worthy weapon, but it greatly increases the range while keeping the gun easy to wield and to cock the lever on it.

Anyway, here's what you'll need in all for this mod:

Posted Image

Buzzbee RFR
Disk Shot/ Old NF spring
Glue Gun
Glue sticks
Phillips head screwdriver
Hacksaw

That picture also shows what the gun looks like open, so let's get started!

Step 1: Barrel minimization

Easy, all we need to do is cut the stock barrel down to the very front of the foregrip, here's how that looks

Posted Image

That was simple, now let's head to step two

Step 2: Better springs

Now the stock spring isn't too good on it's own, but I had a spare Disk Shot spring laying around when I did this.

Here they are side-by-side

Posted Image

Here they are nested together

Posted Image

Now place them back on to the plunger rod and fit on the cocking rod that connects to the lever and put the metal rod through the holes where they connect (you'll get it when you see it), like so

Posted Image

Step 3: Re-assembly

Now it's time to put our RFR back together, here's a pic of the peices fit in

Posted Image

Now, screw the gun back together and test it out, I think you'll be satisfied

Posted Image

Sorry about that crappy last pic, but it was late, I was tired and that was actually the best picture of all of them that I took. I slapped in a 1/2" PVC barrel after that to increase range a bit and give it more of a rifle look to it (longer barrel)

Ranges:
61'
56'
59'
64'
69' (good dart, wind picked up a tiny bit)

I hope you liked this. As I said before, it's nothing big, but it's better than it was stock.

You may want to know this, but reinforcing the catch would be a good idea as well, it's pretty weak. I am also working on a brass breach and uber reinforcements for it, because once the breach is done, I'm going to place an industrial spring or two in it.

Edited by deaddumpster, 01 December 2007 - 07:41 PM.

QUOTE(VACC @ Jan 15 2009, 01:55 PM) View Post

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. A good nerf gun is like a good woman. It shouldn't require extra lubrication.

#2 xNFx 37

xNFx 37

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 08:19 PM

Hey, nice mod. I've always wanted to get my hands on one of these, (mostly for fun) but I was wondering where you find them (besides eBay for $40) and how good they are after modification. Seems pretty nice. Then, one day I went to K-Mart and found a Big Blast, Mustang Six AND the RFR.....
it also has a cock on it

-Chief

#3 Lynx

Lynx

• Members
  • 983 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 08:26 PM

Very good job!
Have you thought of using it without shells or using brass or something? This way, you could squeeze more darts in the clip and increase the rfr's main advantage, it's rate of fire.
Also, have you thought of posting how to put a new barrel in?
Columbus' original crazy asshole now comes with:

AWESOME NITEFINDER

#4 deaddumpster

deaddumpster

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 08:29 PM

Yes, I've been working on a brass breach design for a while now. It would be hard to machine a magazine inside of the stock noe, but I've been getting some ideas for a while now. The brass breach will also act as a new barrel in a way as well, but for now it's just got a PVC barrel down the stock one, it helps range a bit.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. A good nerf gun is like a good woman. It shouldn't require extra lubrication.

#5 OfAllTheNerf

OfAllTheNerf

• Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 08:33 PM

Very nice and clear write-up.

I've been thinking about putting a brass breech in one of these for a while now... But I don't know if it's worth the time. I mean, the Longshot is basically this only alot more efficient and more stylish, but hey, since I have one lying around, I might as well try to mod it... Anyways, I know I'll never get around to it.

Again great job, and I look forward to the uber reinforcement/brass breech mod :0.

-OfAll'
[color=#FF6600][Finesse]-[BitchX]

#6 Senor Wolfwood

Senor Wolfwood

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 08:35 PM

Well, I don't know how if this is/has happened to anyone else, but I added another spring to my rfr, and when I cocked it the orange catch tip broke off. I can't find a wat to suitably fix mine, and I would suggest reinforcing yours, because now one of my favorite guns is fucked. I will be attempting a little something with some brass sheets I found at a local Hobbytown though...
QUOTE(Forsaken_angel24 @ Oct 23 2007, 12:13 AM) View Post

Dumbest rule ever.
There are better ways of getting a womans clothes off.

I hate ipods and most of their owners.

AKA: Earle_The_Magnificent

#7 deaddumpster

deaddumpster

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 08:39 PM

Actually, that's why I suggested reinforcements on it. The same thing happened to me, I did this a few weeks ago and forgot the pics on my camera so guys, remember to put some brass sheeting on the catch if you strengthen the springs!

I'll cover that in my brass breach one when I finish it.

Edited by deaddumpster, 30 November 2007 - 08:41 PM.

#8 penguin807

penguin807

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 09:56 PM

Aw man, I guess this is what you get for letting your cousins play with your Nerf guns (half you arsenal dead), you beat me to it. Good job, It's a nice mod and writeup.

Edited by penguin807, 30 November 2007 - 09:59 PM.

#9 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 12:05 AM

Not bad!

I will add it to the directory after you resize those photos. It gets very irritating to side scroll to read the rest of a sentence. If you need any help with that pm me.
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#10 deaddumpster

deaddumpster

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 11:17 AM

I can't figure out how, you have been PMed. I'll make a second thread for the breech mod and everything included there, think of it as the "RFR Modification Level 2."

#11 Davey

Davey

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 12:12 PM

I may have to try this, looks quite nice with the end sawn off too, I did that to a BuzzBee Shotgun, looked quite cool.

Any ideas what other springs it might take? I have a couple of DS springs lying about, do you one of those would make a difference?

#12 deaddumpster

deaddumpster

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 12:13 PM

If it fits into an NF, it will fit into the RFR. Though any stronger springs will break the catch so remember to reinforce it with some brass sheeting when better springs are placed in it.

#13 Davey

Davey

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 01:35 PM

Ahh, okay thanks. I've just checked it agianst the spring of a unfinshed NiteMav that i'd forgotern about. And it's almost axactly the same, except very slightly longer (like 3mm) and a tiny bit smaller across.

I'll try it at some point, as me a my friend have about 5 RFR's between us (god knows why, one of the looks quite cool though, it has a bolt to cock it, and looks like a scumbag rifle (but defantly dosn't perform like one)).

#14 Dayko

Dayko

• Members
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 02:15 PM

Good Job. Vary clean.

< One foot in death...The other in life. >

#15 deaddumpster

deaddumpster

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 07:43 PM

There, the pics have been resized. Davey, I wish I had that many, if I made that many brass breeched ones (once they're done) and got the ranges I'm expecting, damn would I be happy!

PS. Thanks for the comments, guys. It helps to know people actually liked this mod.

Edited by deaddumpster, 01 December 2007 - 07:47 PM.

#16 Davey

Davey

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 05:28 AM

Well the reason we have so many of them is because we live in England, and the ONLY guns you can buy in shops are NF's and Mav's. Oh, and the Maxshot and it's baby brother (although I did once pick up two packs DTG's and Scouts from a Tessco). So our only other source of guns was Firebox.com and ebay.com (thankfully the £ is worth more than the $ so the $35 it takes to post a LS, for example, was about £18).

One thing though, don't paint RFR's. Someones probably said this before, but they jam even more than stock. Unfortuneatly we painted all but one (thankfully, my main one) which works better than all of the others.

Man, I talk aload of crap. Sorry...

I look forward to a write-up about the heavier mod (I'm assuming you going to do a write-up) and brass breach.

#17 deaddumpster

deaddumpster

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 08:56 AM

Yeah, although first thing's first, I've got to see if the hobby shop near me sells brass. I also learned yesyerday when I went to Rona that they don't sell any industrial spring of any type, so I'll need another source for that.

I might just do the brass breech and fit in a 1500 or 2K tank into it instead.

Edited by deaddumpster, 02 December 2007 - 08:57 AM.

#18 Zudikas

Zudikas

• Banned
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 10:21 PM

Are you using stefans or micros?

#19 deaddumpster

deaddumpster

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 10:28 PM

A) That's a necro, please read the Code Of Conduct. Last I checked you're not that much of a noob, I thought you knew better.

(damn smiley)Bee) I'm Using 1.5" Sluggy Stefans (micros, of course, though I use Megas in quite a few of my more powerful guns).

Edited by deaddumpster, 14 June 2008 - 10:30 PM.

#20 laxtk88

laxtk88

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 06:28 PM

Are you using stefans or micros?

What is that, your third necro?
QUOTE(Sleebo @ Jun 12 2008, 07:23 PM) View Post

Just for the record, my mother is the most beautiful women in the world.

#21 Bradshaw

Bradshaw

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 12:39 PM

Can this gun shoot with out a clip, can you slide shells with bullets into the shell ejection hole when the caulking lever is back an then shoot them?

Oops sorry, i just really wanted to know, I kind of thought it useful information. I want to know whether to get one or not, but sorry.

Edited by Bradshaw, 21 August 2008 - 09:56 AM.

92% of teens have moved on to rap.
If you are part of the 8% who still listen to "real music",
copy and paste this into your signature

#22 Ambience 327

Ambience 327

• Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 03:05 PM

You've been around long enough to know not to Necro - haven't you? Or maybe not.

Don't post in topics over a month old unless you have something useful to say. PM the OP if you have a question.
Foam in the Fort IV
The fourth exciting Nerf War in Fort Wayne, IN.

#23 goongala

goongala

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 11:35 PM

Mine was fantastic straight out of the box...but then again my standards are quite low for nerf guns. I go into a project knowing my guns will get no more than 35-40 feet, and I don't have a problem with that. I did cut it down though, to make it a sawn off.

#24 Kid Flash

Kid Flash

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 11:41 PM

Nice job! How many necroes is that now?

#25 jason

jason

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 08:10 AM

Now, all of us here know how much the Buzzbee Rapid Fire Rifle sucks. At a cheap price tag and low-quality structure, it's no surprise. Here's a list of things I hate about it while stock:

1: It's poor stock range.
2: It's tendency to jam.
3: Basic shell mods (CPVCed shells) do little to help the range.
4: Catch is very weak and so is the shell ejection system.
5: It has a very weak spring.
6: The long barrel catches on the dart frequently and sends it out of control, killing the range
7: People always tend to break it as they tried to open it (though it was as easy to open as an NF for me)

Now, in NO WAY does this mod make it a primary worthy weapon, but it greatly increases the range while keeping the gun easy to wield and to cock the lever on it.

Anyway, here's what you'll need in all for this mod:

Posted Image

Buzzbee RFR
Disk Shot/ Old NF spring
Glue Gun
Glue sticks
Phillips head screwdriver
Hacksaw

That picture also shows what the gun looks like open, so let's get started!

Step 1: Barrel minimization

Easy, all we need to do is cut the stock barrel down to the very front of the foregrip, here's how that looks

Posted Image

That was simple, now let's head to step two

Step 2: Better springs

Now the stock spring isn't too good on it's own, but I had a spare Disk Shot spring laying around when I did this.

Here they are side-by-side

Posted Image

Here they are nested together

Posted Image

Now place them back on to the plunger rod and fit on the cocking rod that connects to the lever and put the metal rod through the holes where they connect (you'll get it when you see it), like so

Posted Image

Step 3: Re-assembly

Now it's time to put our RFR back together, here's a pic of the peices fit in

Posted Image

Now, screw the gun back together and test it out, I think you'll be satisfied

Posted Image

Sorry about that crappy last pic, but it was late, I was tired and that was actually the best picture of all of them that I took. I slapped in a 1/2" PVC barrel after that to increase range a bit and give it more of a rifle look to it (longer barrel)

Ranges:
61'
56'
59'
64'
69' (good dart, wind picked up a tiny bit)

I hope you liked this. As I said before, it's nothing big, but it's better than it was stock.

You may want to know this, but reinforcing the catch would be a good idea as well, it's pretty weak. I am also working on a brass breach and uber reinforcements for it, because once the breach is done, I'm going to place an industrial spring or two in it.

is it possible to put a night finder spring in sted of a disk shot ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users