Gunther's Content

There have been 56 items by Gunther (Search limited from 23-December 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#322055 Puget Sound Nerf War

Posted by Gunther on 27 September 2012 - 06:24 PM in Nerf Wars

Posted Image

Posted Image

Welcome to the 12th Nerf War at Fort Worden.

Artillery Hill in Fort Worden State Park is composed of a L-shaped line of concrete artillery batteries built to defend Puget Sound from enemy warships in the first half of the 20th century. The batteries are constructed in a similar style as German bunkers on D-Day. Three stories stretching across a quarter mile of concrete provides an excellent place for Nerf warfare.

Previous Wars listed on NerfHaven: Oct 2009, Dec 2009, Feb 2010, Oct 2010, March 2011, Oct 2011, Jan 2012, April 2012

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Date: Sunday, October 21st, 2011

Time: 10 am until dusk.

Facebook Group for Puget Sound Nerf War

Location: Batteries Benson, Ash, Quarles, & Randol (Artillery Hill) in Fort Worden State Park, Port Townsend, WA

Directions: We will be playing in the batteries on Artillery Hill in the center of Fort Worden. Upon entering the park, drive straight until you reach the buildings at the base of the hill. Park around the old power building in front of you which is now a woodworking shop. From there, you can either follow the road on the left as it goes up the hill. You can also take any of the trails going up the hill until you reach Battery Way and follow it to the right. As the road reaches the top of the hill, the line of batteries will be on the right. We will probably be setting up around Battery Benson at the north end.

Park Map

Google Maps

Cost: The State Park is free. You can park for free right outside of the park entrance or pay for a Discovery Pass to park within Fort Worden.

Sandwiches, soda, and water will be provided. Please let me know if you are planning on coming so I can bring enough for everyone.

I will have a large quantity of darts for general use. Mark your own darts, or they shall be donated to replenish this supply.

While not a rule, bringing a flashlight is strongly encouraged. There are some darker areas of the batteries and it will aid in dart clean-up.

What to bring:

At least one blaster.

Nerf darts. Mark them with your initials if you want them back.

Eye protection. Shatter resistant glasses are acceptable. We have limited extras.

General Rules:

All players must be at least 14 years old. Most of our problems stem from young players without parental supervision.

Eye protection is required to be worn for all games.

We are guests of the park rangers at Fort Worden. We keep our bunkers clean, respect other guests, and behave ourselves.

Please bring blasters suitable for indoor Nerf warfare. All modded blasters are subject to approval.

Official Nerf darts only. Other brands are also acceptable. No homemade or camouflage darts.

Foam melee weapons are only allowed in the HvZ games and can only be wielded by zombies.

Special Note for caravans: I had to get special permission from the park rangers to drive up to Battery Benson. I will open the gate for cars to load and unload at Battery Benson between 9-10 am and at dusk. We can't keep any cars parked up there, so this is for loading and unloading only.

Cleanup rules: The park rangers have requested that we take our trash down the hill to the dumpsters located near the buildings rather than the trash can up on the hill.

Puget Sound Nerf War on YouTube

October 2009 Video taken by FlamingHilt

Posted Image

#313645 Puget Sound Nerf War

Posted by Gunther on 28 March 2012 - 11:03 AM in Nerf Wars

https://www.facebook...21505107902518/

#313519 2012 Nerf War Schedule

Posted by Gunther on 25 March 2012 - 11:35 AM in Nerf Wars

April
[url=http://nerfhaven.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=22387]22nd [WA] Puget Sound Nerf War[/url]

#313517 Puget Sound Nerf War

Posted by Gunther on 25 March 2012 - 11:17 AM in Nerf Wars

Posted Image

Posted Image

Welcome to the 11th Nerf War at Fort Worden.

Artillery Hill in Fort Worden State Park is composed of a L-shaped line of concrete artillery batteries built to defend Puget Sound from enemy warships in the first half of the 20th century. The batteries are constructed in a similar style as German bunkers on D-Day. Three stories stretching across a quarter mile of concrete provides an excellent place for Nerf warfare.

Previous Wars listed on NerfHaven: Oct 2009, Dec 2009, Feb 2010, Oct 2010, March 2011, Oct 2011, Jan 2012

Date: Sunday, April 22nd, 2012.

Location: Batteries Benson, Ash, Quarles, & Randol (Artillery Hill) in Fort Worden State Park, Port Townsend, WA

Directions: We will be playing in the batteries on Artillery Hill in the center of Fort Worden. Upon entering the park, drive straight until you reach the buildings at the base of the hill. Park around the old power building in front of you which is now a woodworking shop. From there, you can either follow the road on the left as it goes up the hill. You can also take any of the trails going up the hill until you reach Battery Way and follow it to the right. As the road reaches the top of the hill, the line of batteries will be on the right. We will probably be setting up around Battery Benson at the north end.

Park Map
Google Maps

Cost: The State Park is free. You can park for free right outside of the park entrance or pay for a Discovery Pass to park within Fort Worden.

Sandwiches, soda, and water will be provided. Please let me know if you are planning on coming so I can bring enough for everyone.

I will have a large quantity of darts for general use. Mark your own darts, or they shall be donated to replenish this supply.

While not a rule, bringing a flashlight is strongly encouraged. There are some darker areas of the batteries and it will aid in dart clean-up.

What to bring:

At least one blaster.
Nerf darts. Mark them with your initials if you want them back.
Eye protection. Shatter resistant glasses are acceptable. We have limited extras.

General Rules:

All players must be at least 14 years old. Most of our problems stem from young players without parental supervision.
Eye protection is required to be worn for all games.
We are guests of the park rangers at Fort Worden. We keep our bunkers clean, respect other guests, and behave ourselves.
Please bring blasters suitable for indoor Nerf warfare. All modded blasters are subject to approval.
Official Nerf darts only. Other brands are also acceptable. No homemade or camouflage darts.
Foam melee weapons are only allowed in the HvZ games and can only be wielded by zombies.

Special Note for caravans
: I had to get special permission from the park rangers to drive up to Battery Benson. I will open the gate for cars to load and unload at Battery Benson between 9-10 am and at dusk. We can't keep any cars parked up there, so this is for loading and unloading only.

Cleanup rules
: The park rangers have requested that we take our trash down the hill to the dumpsters located near the buildings rather than the trash can up on the hill.

Posted Image

#309983 Puget Sound Nerf War

Posted by Gunther on 23 January 2012 - 01:46 AM in Nerf Wars

Was anybody there? I drove up to fort warden walked the lap of bunkers and could find anybody.

Sorry you missed us. We were at Battery Benson from 9am until 5pm today (Sunday). Had a car out front and some signs posted at the battery at ground level. We had 13 attendees. Pretty good considering the recent weather. Pictures and videos will be up soon.

#309802 Puget Sound Nerf War

Posted by Gunther on 19 January 2012 - 08:01 PM in Nerf Wars

So with all the snow is this still for sure? i know we have a few days and the news says it will rain and get warmer but just thought i'd ask.

Yes, it is still on.

#308389 2012 Nerf War Schedule

Posted by Gunther on 18 December 2011 - 04:28 AM in Nerf Wars

January:
[url=http://nerfhaven.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=21921]22nd [WA] Puget Sound Nerf War[/url]

#308370 Puget Sound Nerf War

Posted by Gunther on 17 December 2011 - 06:39 PM in Nerf Wars

This war is what got me interested in Nerf. Unfortunately, as an Oregon nerfer, 4 hours is to much of a drive. Gunther, there is are several batteries, identical to this one in Fort Steven's Astoria (about half way from both of us - I've been there) ... would consider co-hosting a war there sometime later next year?

Email puget.sound.nerf.war@ that google mail thingy so we can discuss this.

#308362 Puget Sound Nerf War

Posted by Gunther on 17 December 2011 - 02:45 PM in Nerf Wars

Posted Image
Posted Image

Welcome to the 10th Nerf War at Fort Worden.

Previous Wars listed on NerfHaven: Oct 2009, Dec 2009. Feb 2010, Oct 2010, March 2011, Oct 2011

Date: Sunday, January 22nd, 2012.

Time:
10 am until dusk.

Benson, Ash, Quarles, & Randol (Artillery Hill) in Fort Worden State Park, Port Townsend, WA

Directions:
We will be playing in the batteries on Artillery Hill in the center of Fort Worden. Upon entering the park, drive straight until you reach the buildings at the base of the hill. Park around the old power building in front of you which is now a woodworking shop. From there, you can either follow the road on the left as it goes up the hill. You can also take any of the trails going up the hill until you reach Battery Way and follow it to the right. As the road reaches the top of the hill, the line of batteries will be on the right. We will probably be setting up around Battery Benson at the north end.

Park Map
Google maps

What to bring:

• At least one blaster.
  • Nerf darts. Mark them with your initials if you want them back.
  • Eye protection. Shatter resistant glasses are acceptable. We have limited extras.

General Rules:
  • All players must be at least 14 years old. Most of our problems stem from young players without parental supervision.
  • Eye protection is required to be worn for all games.
  • We are guests of the park rangers at Fort Worden. We keep our bunkers clean, respect other guests, and behave ourselves.
  • Please bring blasters suitable for indoor Nerf warfare. All modded blasters are subject to approval.
  • Official Nerf darts only. Other brands are also acceptable. No homemade or camouflage darts.
  • Foam melee weapons are only allowed in the HvZ games and can only be wielded by zombies.

Special Note for caravans:
I had to get special permission from the park rangers to drive up to Battery Benson. I will open the gate for cars to load and unload at Battery Benson between 9-10 am and at dusk. We can't keep any cars parked up there, so this is for loading and unloading only.

Posted Image

#305091 Puget Sound Nerf War

Posted by Gunther on 27 September 2011 - 08:37 PM in Nerf Wars

How is your public dart supply doing? I was thinking of grabbing and glue-tipping another pack for this war. (The new packs of 100 steamlines make adding more darts to the pile relatively economical)

The communal supply looks good for streamlines after last war's donations. Very low on sonic/suction/taggers.

"What about the new Nerf disc Blasters... are those allowed?" (ammo may prove problematic, as Nerf chose to make them GREEN!) (arrrgh)

If you want to bring disc blasters, go ahead. I'm not bringing any disc ammo or blasters. Those things are terrible in the crosswind that comes off the water.

#304996 Puget Sound Nerf War

Posted by Gunther on 25 September 2011 - 09:30 PM in Nerf Wars

With one week to go, here is some last minute information:

If you are traveling from the greater Seattle area and are taking the Edmonds-Kingston ferry, I will be on the 7:10 am ferry. Anyone wishing to join the caravan and arrive early to help clear the site is welcome to meet up. There are still a few seats available for anyone that can get to the ferry at that time - we'll drop you off at your home on the way back.

Game Weather: Sunny, High of 61.

There are less and less replies to the topic each war, but the attendance keeps rising. Perhaps facebook/youtube/social media style announcements are better than web 1.0 message boards?

Speaking of replies, RSVP people! I've gotten numbers from the Olympia Foam Society and I've got a pretty good idea of FlamingHilt's posse, but there's a big fat question mark for the rest.

#304536 Puget Sound Nerf War

Posted by Gunther on 10 September 2011 - 05:40 AM in Nerf Wars

False. Washington state recently enacted a $10/trip fee or $30/year fee. That fee is on a per-vehicle basis, so if you can walk or get dropped off a walking-distance away you are probably fine.

You are correct, though I have learned that it is not that simple at Fort Worden and it's business exemptions. I haven't gotten a straight answer out of the rangers yet. At worst case, parking offsite is a few hundred feet away from the normal parking. The majority of Fort Worden's parking is located at the entrance of the park, which in turn is surrounded by residential streets. We've parked offsite before when we accidentally conflicted with a marathon that started at the park.

#304469 Puget Sound Nerf War

Posted by Gunther on 08 September 2011 - 06:22 PM in Nerf Wars

Posted Image

Posted Image

Welcome to the 9th Nerf War at Fort Worden.

Previous Wars listed on NerfHaven: Oct 2009, Dec 2009. Feb 2010, Oct 2010, March 2011

Date: Sunday, October 2nd, 2011.

Time:
10 am until dusk.

Benson, Ash, Quarles, & Randol (Artillery Hill) in Fort Worden State Park, Port Townsend, WA

Directions:
We will be playing in the batteries on Artillery Hill in the center of Fort Worden. Upon entering the park, drive straight until you reach the buildings at the base of the hill. Park around the old power building in front of you which is now a woodworking shop. From there, you can either follow the road on the left as it goes up the hill. You can also take any of the trails going up the hill until you reach Battery Way and follow it to the right. As the road reaches the top of the hill, the line of batteries will be on the right. We will probably be setting up around Battery Benson at the north end.

Park Map
Google maps

Cost: The State Park is free. Parking onsite may require the purchase of a State Park's Discover Pass ($10 or $30 yearly)

What to bring:
  • At least one blaster.
  • Nerf darts. Mark them with your initials if you want them back.
  • Eye protection. Shatter resistant glasses are acceptable. We have limited extras.

General Rules:
  • All players must be at least 14 years old. Most of our problems stem from young players without parental supervision.
  • Eye protection is required to be worn for all games.
  • We are guests of the park rangers at Fort Worden. We keep our bunkers clean, respect other guests, and behave ourselves.
  • Please bring blasters suitable for indoor Nerf warfare. All modded blasters are subject to approval.
  • Official Nerf darts only. Other brands are also acceptable. No homemade or camouflage darts.
  • Foam melee weapons are only allowed in the HvZ games and can only be wielded by zombies.

Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

#302458 Effeminate 2.3

Posted by Gunther on 28 July 2011 - 07:52 PM in Nerf Wars

As an aside, I do believe the guys from OFS are not yet vetted as full members to this site. And such, have no ability to speak up in this discussion.

#297014 Puget Sound Nerf War

Posted by Gunther on 02 April 2011 - 02:30 AM in Nerf Wars

Zombie video from the war.

#296908 Puget Sound Nerf War

Posted by Gunther on 30 March 2011 - 02:32 PM in Nerf Wars

Videos here:

First person videos are up, will have more from another camera later.

#296770 Puget Sound Nerf War

Posted by Gunther on 28 March 2011 - 05:39 PM in Nerf Wars

Posted Image
Thanks to everyone that came out. Videos of the other games played at this war will be posted soon.

If you are interested in being notified of future wars, please send an email to Puget.Sound.Nerf.War at that gmail.com place.

See you next war.

#296769 Puget Sound Nerf War

Posted by Gunther on 28 March 2011 - 05:24 PM in Nerf Wars

One of the most popular games at the war is always Humans vs Zombies, bunker style. Humans, zombies, and bunny hostages.

----

Posted Image
Not willing to face the horrors in the bunker, a group of humans climb up the radar bunker and prepare to hold out against the infected.

----

Posted Image
A pair of zombies reach the roof and charge the humans.

----

Posted Image
One zombie is put down at point blank range as the other closes in.

----

Posted Image
A horde of zombies take down a human carrying a bunny just short of the extraction point.

----

Posted Image
Strengthened by fallen humans, the horde storms the roof.

----

Posted Image
The trio of humans attempts to hold them off.

----

Posted Image
The round ends with the zombies overwhelming the last holdout of humans.

----

Posted Image
The 2nd round begins with a wave of zombies climbing the bunker.

----

Posted Image
The humans set up a perimeter around the extraction point.

----

Posted Image
A group of undead catch a squad on the stairs.

----

Posted Image
A human running for their life from a zombie.

----

Posted Image
The human perimeter is threatened by the zombies.

----

Posted Image
The humans fall back as the zombies pour out of the bunker.

-----

Posted Image
Smelling blood, the horde picks up speed.

----

Posted Image
It quickly descends into a bloodbath.

#296764 Puget Sound Nerf War

Posted by Gunther on 28 March 2011 - 04:43 PM in Nerf Wars

Another game was Rescue Mission, where Red and Blue attempted to rescue Orange and Green from their rooftop defenses.

----

Posted Image
A blue player walking into an ambush.

----

Posted Image
A red player successfully arrives to orange's defenses, but decides to head back to bring reinforcements.

----

Posted Image
An orange player lays down suppressing fire to keep blue pinned down.

----

Posted Image
Additional orange players join in, forcing blue to fall back and dig in.

----

Posted Image
A blue player attempting to sneak under orange.

----

Posted Image
The red player returns with reinforcements.

----

Posted Image
The situation at orange's defenses: A blue player attempts to break past while orange keeps the rest of blue pinned down.

----

Posted Image
The blue player was unsuccessful in running the gauntlet of fire.

----

Posted Image
Under the watching eyes of the red reinforcements, orange takes off toward the extraction point.

----

Posted Image
Red falls back with their orange allies before blue can muster and catch up.

----

Posted Image
Round over. Teams switch allies and places.

#296763 Puget Sound Nerf War

Posted by Gunther on 28 March 2011 - 04:22 PM in Nerf Wars

The war then moved to Battery Way for a game of bomb squad. Both teams attempted to push a heavy wagon toward the enemy base. Due to the growing number of players, orange and green headbands were added to the red and blue teams.

----

Posted Image
A blue player secures the wagon as a red casualty heads back to respawn.

----

Posted Image
Blue reinforcements arrive and being to maneuver the wagon.

----

Posted Image
Red players rain fire down on the wagon.

----

Posted Image
His power of levitation could not save this blue player.

----

Posted Image
With the wagon undefended, red prepares to send a squad down to move it.

----

Posted Image
A heavy blue player opens fire on the advancing red squad.

----

Posted Image
The red squad reaches the wagon under fire and begins to move it towards blue.

#296759 Puget Sound Nerf War

Posted by Gunther on 28 March 2011 - 04:04 PM in Nerf Wars

The next game was a multiple CTF variant with balls.

Posted Image
The game has begun and the red team storms the bunker.

----

Posted Image
A red scout slowly advances under cover.

----

Posted Image
A heavy blue squad checks the rooms as they move up.

----

Posted Image
Red waits for word from their scouts before taking action.

----

Posted Image
The red defense awaits the attack.

----

Posted Image
A blue scout opens fire from the tunnel entrance.

----

Posted Image
Red prepares for a major attack from the tunnels.

----

Posted Image
Red prepares to send a team down the tunnels to flush out blue.

----

Posted Image
The heavy blue squad returns with a ball.

----

Posted Image
A blue scout carefully moves up on the 2nd floor, looking for red defenders.

----

Posted Image
Blue makes a major advance on the 2nd level.

----

Posted Image
Red digs in and returns fire.

----

Posted Image
The speed of blue's advance overwhelm the red defenders.

----

Posted Image
A blue ball carrier races back to his base while covered by his teammates.

----

Posted Image
A blue defender holds off the red team in the tunnels.

#296751 Puget Sound Nerf War

Posted by Gunther on 28 March 2011 - 03:20 PM in Nerf Wars

We began the war with a round of random three man teams. Plenty of tactical maneuvering as the small groups jockeyed for the best angles of fire.

Posted Image
An unexpected appearance of a team dug in prompts a halt at the steps..

----

Posted Image
Under fire, flanked, and falling back.

----

Posted Image
The other team returns fire.

----

Posted Image
The arrival of a heavily armed third team complicated things and scatters their opponents.

----
Posted Image
The third team pushes forward to the third level.

----

Posted Image
Meanwhile, on the other side of the bunker, a fourth team attempts to regroup in a defensible position.

----

Posted Image
An unexpected attack from above complicates matters.

----

Posted Image
The fourth team catches the third team in the open on the roof.

----

Posted Image
Successfully dug in, the team sweeps the roof with fire as the casualties leave.

----

Posted Image
The remaining members of the third team return fire, but are quickly taken down.

----

Posted Image
The fourth team reviews the now empty roof.

----

Posted Image
Back down below, a scout carefully checks the 2nd level before bringing his team up.

----

Posted Image
A lone survivor prepares an ambush from the roof.

----

Posted Image
Seeing casualties from that direction, a team member climbs the steps and reports what he sees.

----

Posted Image
A truly unsettling sight above.

#296319 Puget Sound Nerf War

Posted by Gunther on 20 March 2011 - 09:10 PM in Nerf Wars

With only one week left, here's an update:

Confirmed: 36
Maybe: >20

Important information for people taking the ferries: The ferries switch to Spring Schedules the day of the war. My group will be taking the 7:10 am Edmonds-Kingston ferry so we can arrive early to inspect & clear the bunkers of debris. If you wish to assist or just want to explore the bunkers before the war begins, you are welcome to caravan with us.

#295288 Puget Sound Nerf War

Posted by Gunther on 03 March 2011 - 03:45 PM in Nerf Wars

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Previous Wars listed on NerfHaven: Oct 2009, Dec 2009. Feb 2010, Oct 2010

Date: Sunday, March 27th, 2011, rain or shine (Or hail, judging from recent weather)

Location: Batteries Benson, Ash, Quarles, & Randol(Artillery Hill) in Fort Worden State Park, Port Townsend, WA

Directions. We will be playing in the batteries on Artillery Hill in the center of Fort Worden. Upon entering the park, drive straight until you reach the buildings at the base of the hill. Park around the old power building in front of you which is now a woodworking shop. From there, you can either follow the road on the left as it goes up the hill. You can also take any of the trails going up the hill until you reach Battery Way and follow it to the right. As the road reaches the top of the hill, the line of batteries will be on the right. We will probably be setting up around Battery Benson at the north end.

The road to the hill is normally closed to vehicles. I will try to get the park rangers to open up the road around 9-10 am to drive equipment up to the hill.

Park Map
Google maps

Cost: The State Park is free. Carpooling is encouraged and seats are available for those in King County.

I will have a large quantity of darts for general use.

Rules:
  • All players under 18 need parental consent.
  • Eye Protection required. We have limited extras.
  • Official Nerf Ammo only. Other brands are generally acceptable. No camouflage ammo!
  • Nerf Melee weapons allowed for zombie rounds.
  • All modded blasters are subject to approval.
  • This is a state park. We keep it clean, respect other guests, and behave ourselves.
  • Any threats of actual violence, unsafe play, or other nonsense will not be tolerated.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#286443 Puget Sound Nerf War

Posted by Gunther on 02 October 2010 - 06:20 PM in Nerf Wars

Interesting. Gunther, do you know if, or even better when, you will be hosting more of these wars? I understand it's a lot of work to put these together, but I'm not sure if I can make it the 10th. My ride forgot about it so it's up in the air as far as planning.

We aim for a total of at least 4 wars before the weather turns warm and the tourists return. Next one will probably be the first or second weekend of December.

#286416 Puget Sound Nerf War

Posted by Gunther on 02 October 2010 - 12:44 PM in Nerf Wars

IMPORTANT UPDATE!

We will be playing at a different battery than previous wars. Please see the main post for directions.

I met with the park rangers last week and we decided that using the batteries on Artillery hill would be better. Battery Way on the hill is one long line of connected batteries ending in Battery Benson (which is almost identical to Kinzie). This new location will allow our larger group more space to play and new games to try. These batteries also see many less tourists than Kinzie. This should prevent any unhappy halts of play for photographers, etc.

We are now starting at 10am instead of 11.

Details on Batteries Benson, Ash, Quarles, and Randol.

Like Battery Kinzie, Battery Benson held two disappearing guns and is almost identical in layout. Remember the difficulty firing into the wind on the top floor of Kinzie? Benson is surrounded by trees and is off the coast, so no more watching your shots fly back at you. We'll probably start and end the day at Benson with warm up games and humans vs zombies.

Batteries Ash, Quarles, and Randol are connected batteries over a distance of several hundred yards. Each is composed of several floors and multiple rooms. They also have small observation posts and store rooms across the path. These batteries will be used for several new objective games.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#285341 Puget Sound Nerf War

Posted by Gunther on 12 September 2010 - 09:59 PM in Nerf Wars

I remember some people used streamlines with hot glue filled heads, is that alright?

Yes.

Do you have any gameplay videos?

#285077 Puget Sound Nerf War

Posted by Gunther on 08 September 2010 - 12:11 PM in Nerf Wars

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

During both World Wars, Battery Kinzie Battery Benson defended Puget Sound from enemy warships. Built to withstand direct hits from battleships, it is constructed in a similar style as German bunkers on D-Day. 3 stories of concrete rooms and hallways form a perfect place for indoor/outdoor Nerf warfare!

Previous Wars listed on NerfHaven: Oct 2009, Dec 2009. Feb 2010

Date: Sunday, October 10th, 2010, rain or shine!

Time: 11 10 am until dusk.

Location: Batteries Kinzie Benson, Ash, Quarles, & Randol in Fort Worden State Park, Port Townsend, WA

Directions. We will be playing in the batteries on Artillery Hill in the center of Fort Worden. Upon entering the park, drive straight until you reach the buildings at the base of the hill. Park around the old power building in front of you which is now a woodworking shop. From there, you can either follow the road on the left as it goes up the hill. You can also take any of the trails going up the hill until you reach Battery Way and follow it to the right. As the road reaches the top of the hill, the line of batteries will be on the right. We will probably be setting up around Battery Benson at the north end.

Park Map
Google maps location: 48.141335, -122.768108

Cost: The State Park is free. Carpooling is encouraged and seats are available for those in King County.

I will have a large quantity of darts for general use.

Rules:
  • All players under 18 need parental consent.
  • Eye Protection required. We have limited extras.
  • Official Nerf Ammo only. Other brands are generally acceptable. No camouflage ammo!
  • Nerf Melee weapons allowed for zombie rounds.
  • All modded blasters are subject to approval.
  • This is a state park. We keep it clean, respect other guests, and behave ourselves.
  • Any threats of actual violence, unsafe play, or other nonsense will not be tolerated.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

#271072 Puget Sound Nerf War

Posted by Gunther on 02 April 2010 - 10:12 AM in Nerf Wars

I am sadly announcing that I will be unable to host another nerf war at Fort Worden this spring. But I hope to be back this fall with more bunker wars to scratch your off-season Nerf itch.

(Summer is not good for this location due to the massive number of RV'ing tourists at the Fort)

#267539 Puget Sound Nerf War

Posted by Gunther on 01 March 2010 - 10:33 PM in Nerf Wars

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#267162 Puget Sound Nerf War

Posted by Gunther on 27 February 2010 - 03:09 AM in Nerf Wars

Gunther, out of curiosity, what ferry times are you taking. As I understand it we both hail from the Seattle area. We're thinking of either the 8:40 or 9:20 to Kingston, and then the 6:30 or 7:20 for the return trip. Any suggestions?

The ferry trip is 30 minutes and the trip from the ferry dock in Kingston to the park is 75 minutes. I will be taking the 8:40am ferry from Edmonds to Kingston in order to arrive early to check out the site and clean up any debris in the rooms. Getting back, I just drive to Kingston and take the next ferry, whenever that would be. I generally stay at the site until sunset (6pm)

Ok, so main gun, and smaller gun. check. You said something about melee weapons?

Our zombie game involves the zombies armed with foam melee weapons (aka funnoodle) If you have a nerf-brand foam melee weapon, you are welcome to bring it and use that instead when you are a zombie.

Gunther, are you taking donations? I really would like to help out somehow, but it always seems you're on top of the organization bit...

Bring you camera. Those pictures and videos are worth much more than cash.

#267134 Puget Sound Nerf War

Posted by Gunther on 26 February 2010 - 11:44 PM in Nerf Wars

So, since i'm rather new to social nerfing, what sort of weapons should i bring?

A Nerf weapon. Any of the Nerf-brand guns currently being sold by major retailers will work just fine. You don't have to modify it, but you should get plenty of ammo. Also, mark your ammo and your weapons with your initials in permanent marker.

Some people bring another smaller pistol such as a maverick or nightfire in case their main weapon jams in the middle of a battle.

Remember to bring eye protection if you can. It's rare, but Nerf shots can scratch your cornea. Shatter-resistant glasses, safetly glasses, etc.

---------------------

Weather forecast for Fort Worden on Sunday: Mid 50s, partly cloudy, zero rain, light winds. Perfect.
Sunset is 6pm, which is about the time we will be wrapping up.

#267014 Puget Sound Nerf War

Posted by Gunther on 26 February 2010 - 11:12 AM in Nerf Wars

Am curious though, couldn't find this anywhere: Is this a standard Primary+Maverick-only setup, or can we have any combo of Primary/Secondary/Tertiary weapons?

You are welcome to carry as many weapons as you want into battle. You will need a small pistol like a Maverick for one of the games.

#266539 Puget Sound Nerf War

Posted by Gunther on 23 February 2010 - 03:23 AM in Nerf Wars

Hey, now that we are only a week away from the war i was wondering about how many people should be there. I cant wait for this so please reply, thanks.

It looks like at least 25, plus another 10 possible. This will probably be the biggest one so far.

#265207 Puget Sound Nerf War

Posted by Gunther on 13 February 2010 - 12:15 AM in Nerf Wars

Is anyone willing give me a ride to the war, preferably from the Eastside? I would help pay for gas, ferry etc.

I have a spot on a car leaving from Kirkland to catch the 8:40 am ferry in Edmonds. PM me with your exact address and contact info if you are interested.

#264086 Puget Sound Nerf War

Posted by Gunther on 01 February 2010 - 07:51 PM in Nerf Wars

Doubling as a bump, I'll post to confirm that, assuming we work out this driving business, I will be there. With a possible plus one. Let's hope for no rain, though that's asking a bit much for Washington.
What kind of range caps are we looking at here? Would, say, a quadded 2k be acceptable?

People can bring what they want, as long as they can use it safely. Any complaints of pain caused by a gun will result in the examination and possible removal of said gun. No homemade darts.

This is a typical action shot in a war. The bunker is over half indoors. Expect ranges such as these.
Posted Image

#263976 Battle Of The Bunker

Posted by Gunther on 31 January 2010 - 08:35 PM in Nerf Wars

I have organized several wars in another WWI-era coastal defense battery (Fort Worden in Port Townsend, WA)

Here are some helpful tips in dealing with playing around historical buildings in parks:
1: Learn the park's policies. Fort Foster Rules
2: If you see a park ranger/caretaker, go up and introduce yourself and your group. Those people do NOT like airsoft and paintball groups. Make sure you reassure them you are different, especially if you have lots of homemades.
3: Do not leave any evidence of your group. I suggest sweeping for ammo after every round.
4: Be civil to photographers. Photographers love to go to costal batteries in the off-season to avoid visitors. Since their equipment is usually more expensive and fragile than yours, don't play near them.
5: Glow sticks are excellent for team identification.
6: Treat the location like an indoor war when determining what guns to allow.
7: Bring a broom or something to sweep debris and water out of rooms, especially if it had rained/snowed recently. 2 minutes with a broom = another safe room to play in.

#263547 Puget Sound Nerf War

Posted by Gunther on 28 January 2010 - 03:08 PM in Nerf Wars

Question: Are vulcans allowed? it's not modded.

Vulcans are allowed. They are very useful in some of the games.

#262595 Puget Sound Nerf War

Posted by Gunther on 21 January 2010 - 11:37 AM in Nerf Wars

How do you feel about homemades? Case-by-case, must use stock ammo?

I'm glad to see you are coming. You are correct. All homemade and modified weapons are welcome. Any complaints of pain may result in the gun being removed from play.

#262327 Puget Sound Nerf War

Posted by Gunther on 18 January 2010 - 09:21 PM in Nerf Wars

Here's how loaner weapons are going to work. Loaners are for people without guns, or need a backup sidearm. Max 1 Maverick + 1 other gun per player. Let me know what numbers you and your friends want and I'll reserve them. When you arrive at the war, you let me know what your NerfHaven name is and I'll hand you the guns. I'm bringing my entire arsenal anyway for walk-ons players, or when guns break, etc. I'm just going to track them better. Other players will probably be bringing their own loaners, and it's up to them to decide how to give them out.

Reserved: 6,7,9,10,16,17,20,21,22,23,24,25, 26
Posted Image