HOTH's Content

There have been 308 items by HOTH (Search limited from 12-December 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#328571 What is the max voltage on the Elite Rayven?

Posted by HOTH on 05 April 2013 - 12:55 PM in Modifications

I would not try running it on 4 trust fires. I mean, you would be able to get some use out of the blaster running at such a high voltage because of the burst-firing characteristic. However, in my experience, that voltage yields an awful smell, an uncomfortable rattling, a loud noise, and pretty bad fishtailing with stock elites. Any potential range increase is completely negated. Use 3 trust fires, if that.

Also, your name is fucking fucked up. If it's named after what I think it is.

#328253 Sunday Nerf in Novato, California

Posted by HOTH on 21 March 2013 - 03:14 AM in Nerf Wars

1) It's a non-NIC group, I.E. little hardcore modding, stock darts, mostly casual players.
2) You can use homemades and/or modded blasters if they're proven to be safe by the war host. I don't know what his standards are though, so I'd bring aback-up.

Alright sounds good. I am just going to bring my modded flywheel blasters and hope they are deemed safe. I doubt anyone will have a problem. Thanks

If I was you I'd just join the group.

Yea, I requested access.

#328250 Sunday Nerf in Novato, California

Posted by HOTH on 21 March 2013 - 12:14 AM in Nerf Wars

I am not a member of the page yet so I can't post there directly. Few questions:

Is this a Nerfhaven group? Like, are these guys modders and part of the forums? It doesn't matter to me either way. I am just wondering what to expect in terms of blasters, modded vs. stock.

I saw on their checklist that only stock darts are allowed. Does this mean only stock blasters can fire them? I am not planning on bringing anything over the top. Only a few modded flywheel blasters and probably a crossbow.

If this is a modded war and people are using modded blasters, I will definitely be there this Sunday for the next event. If not, I probably won't make the drive just for a stock war.

Also, how many people usually make it to these events? Like 8ish?

#328210 AIME

Posted by HOTH on 19 March 2013 - 08:55 PM in Off Topic

Your wording of "Taylor series" threw me off. It isn't a Taylor series — just a regular series with trig functions in it. However I thought maybe the solution when I glanced at it last night would be to Taylor expand each trig function. Its immediately obvious that this isn't how it works though because the coefficients of the series are powers of (1/2) whereas a Taylor expansion that has elegant simplification would use powers of (1/n)

Yea, I originally tried to Taylor expand it, but stopped short when I realized that definitely was not plausible. Not sure why I worded it like that.

However, you should notice that since the coefficients are (1/2)^n and the trig functions are sin(nx) and cos(nx), there is a very obvious simplification of both series to a single series over the complex numbers.

Hint: e^(ln(1/2)+ix)^n = e^(n*ln(1/2)+n*ix)

Looking back on my notebook/worksheet from the test, I do actually have that jotted down. I;m happy you/your student got to that step as well. Hopefully I got this one.

Thanks!

#328198 Nerf Elite Firestrike LED Replacement

Posted by HOTH on 19 March 2013 - 11:49 AM in Modifications

Great descriptions, but for me at least no pictures are showing up in the actual write-up.

Easy to follow nonetheless, which is commendable.

#328190 AIME

Posted by HOTH on 19 March 2013 - 02:26 AM in Off Topic

#14 doesn't look too bad but given the time constraints there's probably a brilliant solution I can't think of right now.

Yea, I definitely spent the most time on that but then realized that it probably was not the type of problem that required arduous testing and maneuvering. I figured it required something more elegant. Something much simpler than what I was attempting. I tried a few things along those lines, and we'll see what happens.

Thanks, I'd love to be updated if he fills you in.

#328180 W.H.O.O.P.S.

Posted by HOTH on 18 March 2013 - 11:23 PM in Nerf Wars

Is the date set in stone? If it is held a week later, I can almost certainly attend. Otherwise, I don't think I'll be able to make it.

I will be in SoCal from the 29th to around the 5th of April. It would be awesome if it were on the 30th.

#328176 AIME

Posted by HOTH on 18 March 2013 - 11:04 PM in Off Topic

Hey guys,

Did anyone qualify for/take the AIME this past Thursday? (American Invitational Mathematics Exam). I qualified for it after taking the AMC 12b two weeks before, got a 120. Any one here take either of those tests? I think we need a combined score of 217 to move on to the USAMO. You multiply your raw score on the AIME by ten and add it to your raw score on AMC. That means I had to get 9.7, but no partial credit. 10. We'll see.

If so, let me know. It would be cool to talk through answers and approaches to some of the more difficult problems on the AIME. I thought it was okay.

I know some solutions are posted on the Art of Problem Solving website, but not everything is there. I am specifically thinking about #14, with the trig Taylor Series. Comment down or PM me.

#328139 CA Bay Area Indoor War - Bridges Rock Climbing

Posted by HOTH on 18 March 2013 - 01:12 AM in Nerf Wars

So on the B.A.N.A.N.A facebook page, someone offered up their Rock Climbing Gym to begin hosting monthly wars in. We are working on the details and attendance, but I am the main Nerfhaven contact for that group and so I am trying to spread the word here.

The facility is an indoor Rock Climbing Gym, and looks awesome. I have not been there personally, but the pictures on their website shed an excellent "nerfy" light on the place. It is ripe with rock walls and boulders that act as great bunkers. Patrick, the guy who is organizing this and works there, said that they have hosted Nerf style birthday parties there in the past, and it works very well. Here is the link to the Bridges Rock Climbing website.

The main idea of this is to organize a monthly event at the Gym on Saturdays. There would be brackets, competitions, and team play. This would of course be if we got enough participants, which is why I am bringing this here.
If you are interested, it would also be greatly appreciated that you email Justin. His email is listed on their website, at the bottom of the homepage. Email him to express your interest in the events, because he is compiling an emailing list on which the details will be hammered out.

So to get this started, I am going to set up a poll for dates in April that work for people. I will list all Saturdays in April. I will recommend the one that gets the most votes to Patrick and see if that aligns with his schedule and that of others that have already confirmed their interest. Please vote on your preferred Saturday. It is by no means a 100% commitment to do so. We want to host one in April to test the site and gain awareness.

Details from Patrick

I've been thinking of this for a little while and this is what I came up with. For an indoor game to be finalized I need $300 for up to 30 people for 3-4 hours of Nerf action, that's only $10 per person. Games will most likely be made up of 6 teams of 5 players, 2 teams will face off in TDM or CTF game each round will be about 25 min. Teams will rotate and a competition bracket can be made. I can set up games like this once a month for now but it can grow if the demand is high enough. I have many activities to enjoy during time you are not out on the floor: video games (mostly Street Fighter), ping pong, slacklines, rock climbing walls and I can set up a variety of Nerf blaster skill games for prizes.

Bridges purchased a bunch of Nerf gear for our After Hours Parties, Birthday Party Events and Corporate Team Building Events. This is what the gym has for gameplay:

24ct. - Nerf Firestirke Blasters
24ct. - Safety Glasses
24ct. - Velcro Vests (in production, commissioned work from local business, adjustable and good for adults) Why velcro vests?......
1000+ct. - Nerf Dart Tag Style darts (won't work in all blasters but the best option for kids birthdays and non-Nerf legue events)

(Patrick told me that modded blasters are encouraged, so bring them!. You certainly do not have use a blaster that fires a Dart Tage Style Dart. I am definitely going to ban homemade ar guns, and anything that is just too powerful for an indoor war. This are fast paced close range games, not designed for singled titans, cobras, and SM 1.5k's.)

I also have made a number of foam walls ranging in sizes, some as big as 3'x8'x1', and many other items with make for good cover. The best part is all the area above the gym floor that can be utilized, climb your way up to a perfect losing area! We have fog machines for added effect, and if we purchase glow in the dark darts we can play a Black Light game. We have 7ct. 48" black lights that fill our corridor with glowing black light. Glowing darts look like lasers! I'm getting ahead of myself, just excited to see what develops I have high hopes!

So that is about it.

TL;DR:

Indoor monthly wars at Bridges Rock Gym. Email Patrick (his email is on the site) with the subject "NERF WAR" to get your name added to the mailing list. Bring your modded blasters if they are not airguns or if they don't shoot crazy hard. Please vote for your preferred date in April above.

Thanks all.

#328088 Image of New Elite Blaster

Posted by HOTH on 16 March 2013 - 05:45 PM in General Nerf

I am thinking that this may be different from the Stryfe and Rayven in that it uses the new "Mega Darts" introduced to us in this thread with the Centurion. The flywheels could be designed to shoot the larger diameter darts, and this would explain the redesigned clip.

#328065 Roughcut quick reload turret mod.

Posted by HOTH on 16 March 2013 - 01:54 AM in Modifications

This is great. Nice job.

but it's kinda silly, sort of like making a jaguar's mag removeable, you really don't want to pay $5 (or $20, in this case) for another mag. Also, keeping the barrels, air inlets, and plungers clean during a war is going to be nearly impossible.

^^ I am going to have to disagree with you. You can purchase another Roughcut, preform the same mods, then have two functioning roughcuts and two clips. That doesn't seem too bad. Or buy a broken one for cheap on the forums. This really makes the roughcut versatile and useful.

Also, keeping the "barrels, air inlets, and plungers clean during a war" seems like a very petty complaint. I don't see how its any worse than what can happen to a standard barrel, speedloader, or coupled turret that is removable.

#328011 Image of New Elite Blaster

Posted by HOTH on 14 March 2013 - 06:57 PM in General Nerf

I just remembered MLD's first post about the Centurion. He mistakenly described it as a full auto blaster with a 3 round burst option - then retracted that info and corrected himself.

This could be that blaster, and that might be what the secondary trigger is! This gives me hope that it's not flywheel.

From looking at the image, I can see the bulges near the front of the blaster that are much akin to those on the Stryfe and Rayven. Right where the orange tac rail on the side is. These "bulges" are the cavities for the flywheel compartment. I am pretty sure this is a flywheel blaster. I personally love flywheels.

#327990 BANO #4: Revamped

Posted by HOTH on 14 March 2013 - 03:16 AM in Nerf Wars

I can possibly attend something (just needs to have enough people) if it is held on the 23rd or 24th. I haven't been up to date on Bay Area wars, is there a new group email or do you guys just check the wars section for threads?

I have not been up to date on things either, but to the best of my knowledge there is a Facebook group for the Bay Area Nerfers. Otherwise, I am just using the war forums.

Something on the 23rd or 24th of this month would totally work for me as well. I can edit the main post and poll, see how many people we can get.

*Edit- We should get to a group to make it down to 'Geddon again this year.

#327765 Coop's Stryfe Modification Write-Up

Posted by HOTH on 07 March 2013 - 02:16 PM in Modifications

Have you considered having the dart pass through both flywheels for better range? Or would that just might make it fish-tale even more? You could just run a barrel from flywheel to flywheel. But like I said, it might make it fish-tale more.... And I love the idea of integrating a LED to make the darts glow. That method could be used in a Vigolon or Diatron, (Or other Vortex Blasters), to make glow disks glow in those.

Well, I have done the dual flywheel idea. It works very well.
Here are some teaser pictures. A write up for this is coming tomorrow.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I can understand why you may feel that this provides no foreseeable advantage. What truly gives this method power is acceleration. The motors are wired in series, with the second set first. This means batteries are used up at a slower rate and that the first set moves slightly slower. The dart accelerates though the barrel.

I have not experienced fish tailing, and vastly outperforms my other stryfe with one set of the same motors.

#327742 Coop's Stryfe Modification Write-Up

Posted by HOTH on 07 March 2013 - 01:53 AM in Modifications

I have tried numerous motor replacements and have tried to find ways to increase traction on the flywheels, but I am not satisfied with anything to the point of adding it to this tutorial.

Even the solarbotics RM2's? I was under the impression that people were getting great results with those things.

#327695 The BEST upgrade motor for the Stryfe (after extensive testing) is...

Posted by HOTH on 06 March 2013 - 11:55 AM in Modifications

Not having done any testing, but slugs probably wouldn't work since the flywheel needs to compress the dart slightly. The metal washers in slugs would prevent that from happening.

This.

I honestly don't see anything wrong with using stock elites with these flywheel blasters. If they are too light, hot glue a weight down in the head.

#327679 BANO #4: Revamped

Posted by HOTH on 05 March 2013 - 09:28 PM in Nerf Wars

So is this war not gonna happen again?

I would love for it to happen, but it honestly looks like too few people are interested at this point.
I may try again next month, but I think I am going to start traveling to wars now. The bay area scene seems to be fading.

#327651 The BEST upgrade motor for the Stryfe (after extensive testing) is...

Posted by HOTH on 05 March 2013 - 10:57 AM in Modifications

I have not run the motors for longer than 15 seconds with three or four UltraFires out of fear of destroying them so I can't confirm how long it takes to fry them.

I have about 12 of these motors, and I am willing to test the time it takes for them to burn out while receiving current at 12 and 16 volts. I will post a video on this thread with that test later
tonight, assuming my ulrafires arrive today.

#327495 The BEST upgrade motor for the Stryfe (after extensive testing) is...

Posted by HOTH on 02 March 2013 - 11:50 AM in Modifications

I can't wait to get some Li-Ion batteries.

What product are you planning on purchasing? Ultra fires?

#327450 BANO #4: Revamped

Posted by HOTH on 28 February 2013 - 07:37 PM in Nerf Wars

I am down, but it doesn't seem like too many Nerfers are active around the bay area. Some day I'll go to a war!

Yea, I think things have died out for now. Oh well :/

There's always 'Geddon.

#327429 Interesting function of the roughcut.

Posted by HOTH on 28 February 2013 - 02:30 AM in General Nerf

I'm slightly confused, how is this any different than giving any other blaster half a prime and just letting go?

(unless I'm not reading something correctly)

To my understanding, that is exactly what it is. I did not know that it was a new idea.
Correct me if I am wrong, IceDragon.

#327354 The BEST upgrade motor for the Stryfe (after extensive testing) is...

Posted by HOTH on 26 February 2013 - 05:17 PM in Modifications

Could the flywheels simply be lightly sanded?

Seems risky to me. You really don't want to leave much to human inaccuracy when dealing with the flywheels. It is important that they are balanced.

I am posting a writeup later tonight probably which has an interesting take on the slick flywheels.

#327294 The BEST upgrade motor for the Stryfe (after extensive testing) is...

Posted by HOTH on 24 February 2013 - 10:13 PM in Modifications

Anyone have any of their own performance results to report on? You guys bought up over 60 of these things. Someone's gotta have something to say about it.

I will have an extensive writeup involving these motors completed and posted for the Mod Contest by Tuesday. I can record a bunch of different stats in my testing when everything is up and running. There are some neat intricacies to the mod, as well.

#327197 2013 New Releases Mod Contest

Posted by HOTH on 22 February 2013 - 05:37 PM in News

Last few clarification questions.

Is the price of blasters or materials considered in their respective availabilities?

Where does a soldering gun stand in terms of availability?

#327086 2013 New Releases Mod Contest

Posted by HOTH on 20 February 2013 - 03:50 PM in News

I am going to assume, the only Elite blasters excluded will be the Retaliator, Rampage and Hailfire since those came out in Sept. 2012, but everything else (despite when found) I believe has a release date of 2013.

I think this is correct. Important to note that the N-Strike Rayven was released in 2012, but the Elite Rayven was released in 2013.
Langley- Seeing as two versions of this blaster were released in different years, does it matter which one we use? To my knowledge, the only difference is color. I only ask because I have a few of the N-Strike versions already, but none of the Elite versions.

Refer to this disambiguation page to ensure their release dates.

Also, some of the parts in my speculated writeup are not often used by nerfers, and may be obscure to some people. However, I will provide a link to purchase the parts easily online within the writeup. Does this satisfy rule 4,

The write-up must be reproducible. All parts and materials must be widely available and tools used must be common to most nerfers.

or will I lose some points?
The writeup will be thorough enough so that someone new to modding will be able to understand exactly what to do with the parts.

#327063 Google Science Fair 2013

Posted by HOTH on 20 February 2013 - 03:42 AM in Off Topic

As I just entered in the Google Science Fair 2013, I was wondering if any of you were hoping to enter as well. It's a great competition, much a kin to the Siemens and Intel STEM Fairs that are held annually. It would be cool to see some submissions from nerfers, although I would doubt any submission would be nerf related. The judges like to see innovative and beneficial ideas/inventions for the scientific community as a whole.

If you plan on entering, or have entered already, we should talk about submission ideas or bounce some ideas back and forth about our respective projects. If you are mathematically/computationally compelled, you can read on about my project.

As a mathematician, I feel obligated to bring math into my project as much as possible, even where it may not be entirely necessary.

Basically, I am writing a series of algorithms to help diagnose autism earlier than it can currently be detected. The algorithms will be interpreted in OpenCV via Visual C++ and will most likely be compressed into an application-esque format for a tablet. The idea is that the OpenCV algorithms will run a program to determine how long a young child (preferably 3-4) maintains eye contact with the screen of the tablet. The screen will display a human face, and the child will be instructed to look at the face. Autistic people cannot stand to maintain eye contact with others for very long at all (but neither can young children, so we may have to up the age for initial tests). The algorithms help to both determine where the patient's eyes are focussed, for how long they are focussed there, and then ultimately whether or not the patient has a high chance of being autistic based on some verified confidence interval that has yet to be defined. If it is largely successful, it can be implemented in clinics and at a younger age.

Anyways, its a fun project. If you want to bounce some ideas off of me, or have any questions about my project, PM me or comment.

Oh, by the way. It may seem like a high-school oriented contest, but it has nothing to do with grade level. It is simply for people ages 13-18, so many college freshmen are eligible as well.

#326718 BANO #4: Revamped

Posted by HOTH on 12 February 2013 - 03:13 AM in Nerf Wars

I figured that it was time to revamp the BANO threads, after #4 fell through due to some weather problems. Although there already is a recent BANO 4 thread, it is old and over posted in. I think a new one is necessary, especially since Righteous is not ging to be active as often.

If you don't know me, but for some reason want to, I am Hoth and was pretty active back in 2009/2010 when BAFF was the group for this area. Since then, I have left and returned to Nerf and BAFF has changed to BANO.

I'm posting this as an organized reference thread for all the BANO wars that we will have, so when it comes time for another war, not everything has to be spelled out again. Just check here.

So, pretty standard stuff.

Posted Image

Now in my experience, it is a deceptively short drive from the West Bay, if you are coming from that side. Although it seems like a ways away, I come from the Palo Alto area and it is never as bad as I expect.
Picture of the play structure, which is always fun to mess around on. Typically, stay off unless we are the only ones using it.
Posted Image

Date: SEE ABOVE POLL. It will be held in March, either on the 23rd, 24th, or 30th. Please vote. Generally, we roll from 11a to like 4 or 5.

Here is the breakdown of the rules, although I'm sure we are all familiar.

Blasters

There are the obvious restrictions such as singled Titans, Cobras (Jobars, Pangos), roto rockets, or homemade air blasters. Shotgun attachments used on the aforementioned blasters should have at least 3 barrels to them. On stronger air blasters (use common sense), please make sure there is a functioning Over Pressure Release Valve. They are there for a reason, and even stock blasters must utilize them to both prevent tanks from breaking and people from getting injured. We wouldn't want either. As for spot banning, I think if you follow the above rules you won't run into much trouble. Just don't be that guy. But definitely bring backups, both to trade and to use if the group decides your primary is simply too powerful. Also, be mindful of the children that use the park. We are absolutely not always the only ones there. That is a rare gem. Stray stefans would definitely suck for a toddler. Melee is cool, too.

Ammunition

Ok so I guess I have been gone for too long, but I have a plethora of slingshot weighted darts. From observations on other war specifications, these are a no-no unless you absolutely have to use them. I suppose the group as a whole should also be allowed to either give you the go ahead or step up and offer you a safer alternative. If you use slingshot weighted darts OR ANYTHING WITH A METAL TIP, please bring it to the group's attention so we can discuss. Pictures are always nice.
So, recommended ammo types would be:

Anything without a metal tip (silicones, AMIORS)
Stock Darts (elites are a great alternative to stefans if you have the proper barreling)

Arrows, rockets, and balls are all cool.

What to Bring
--- Eye protection. It just makes no sense not to wear any, so please bring some. Extras would be great.

--- Money for food

--- Stuff for trading

--- Backup blasters; loaner blasters

--- Secondaries. For pistol rounds.

--- Darts. Extra would also be appreciated, I'm sure.
Game Types

Pretty standard stuff. These are often decided upon in a very impromptu fashion during the war itself. But from past experiences, expect some standard team death match, pistol rounds, the occasional HvZ, FFA, and CTF. If you have a suitable core, let me know. DTC would be super fun.

Lunch/Trading

Basically, if we are not nerfing, we are trading or eating. Now I personally love trading. I always bring like my whole freakin' collection of blasters and parts. However, we don't want this to impede on the actual war, because thats what we are here for. So, we can set specific times for trading and make sure to keep them concise. I remember when I played with the BAFF group a few years back, we spent a lot of extra time just mulling around after trading.
As for food, there are a few options. You can bring your own,but there is also a nearby burger place. Also, we used to order Pizzas from Dominoes (or Pizza Hut, who knows) and you would just pay by the slice to whomever purchased it. Pretty cheap, and really good option for food.

Here is the Facebook event page that Righteous created for this even when it was actually happening. I am not an admin, so I can't make any edits. But I can make a new one. Do people like the use of Facebok for the planning? If so, I can create a new page and friend all of y'all.

This was also posted in NRev.
If you are not a member here or NRev, but want to join, email me here: charlietidmarsh@yahoo.com
Or message my YouTube channel, link in my signature.

#326716 Panthers in the West Coast?

Posted by HOTH on 12 February 2013 - 12:36 AM in General Nerf

TRU up in Norcal always has a TON of them. I live outside of SF, and the local-ish Toys R Us is always stocked with them.

#326589 maximizer modification

Posted by HOTH on 10 February 2013 - 01:53 AM in Modifications

Yes, if I get what you are saying. basically the plunger head is inside the black piece (the plunger) and the spring is connected to both the plunger head and the bolt in the clear tube. Nothing crashes into the clear tube. it just holds the force of the spring. Think backwards spring rest.

Ok, yea thats what I figured it acted as. I guess the force is not large enough to do much to the tubing, especially with it essentially cut in half on each side.

#326587 maximizer modification

Posted by HOTH on 10 February 2013 - 01:29 AM in Modifications

There is little force against that part. And 1/4 would cost alot. I haven't opened it (yet) so i dont know what the plunger is hitting. But it definitely isn't the clear tube.

EDIT

And who actually has a maximizer?

I have a few (2). They are fun to play around with, but I have never actually done anything to them.

As for the strength of the tubing, isn't the force of the spring placed upon that bolt, and therefore distributed on that tubing? I don't know much about the blaster, so correct me if I am wrong.

#326579 maximizer modification

Posted by HOTH on 09 February 2013 - 09:12 PM in Modifications

I would be concerned about it being broken by the screw which is supporting the spring.

This. Isn't 1/8ths too thin? Because that spring is hefty. I would be scared that it would rip through the plastic after awhile. How about 1/4? Is that too thick for this application?

#326417 BANO #4: Kicking off the season

Posted by HOTH on 06 February 2013 - 03:33 AM in Nerf Wars

Ok everyone, a little announcement.
The swim season has started for me, and will be taking up a lot of my modding time, pretty much every Saturday for the next few months, and definitely a lot of energy out of me. This doesn't mean I won't be able to attend events at all, but if I host them at all, they'd probably end up being on a Sunday. There will be a few weeks downtime in a few months, where I'll have free time for modding and hosting wars, so I'll probably end up using that to it's fullest extent. If anyone else wants to host their own war I'd gladly help advertise it to other various nerfing groups around here, probably through the B.A.N.A.N.A. facebook page, and any other means possible. I highly suggest you join the page, or at the very least check up on it from time to time, I've at least got the time to update it with various HVZ or Nerf events, so other people can stay informed.

TL;DR I'm busy, no promises on if or when I'm coming back. Have fun. Don't let this stop you from hosting your own events.

I can start posting the threads and taking on the responsibilities of host from here on out. I have been nerfing at Cann since 2008 with relatively the same group of people, and I feel comfortable enough with my schedule. We should let this thread die; its run its course. Time to start looking forward to the next BANO. There was talk of this Saturday, but lets see what people say in the next thread/facebook.

#326341 BANO #4: Kicking off the season

Posted by HOTH on 04 February 2013 - 10:16 PM in Nerf Wars

If we ever find out when this war is going to be held, I’ll probably be able to bring a few obstacles, a pop up hunting tent and an inflatable chair. I may have a Mobstacle or two made as well, but I’m not sure yet.

^^ That sounds great. So are we having it this weekend (9th)? There was talk about moving it to the 9th, nothing confirmed.

#326292 The QUICK way to reload the RoughCut

Posted by HOTH on 03 February 2013 - 09:24 PM in General Nerf

I feel like most people do this sub-consciously already.

#326056 Log Home Help Foam questions

Posted by HOTH on 29 January 2013 - 08:00 PM in Darts and Barrels

So it does not have springer fit in CPVC?
In that case does anyone know of white or bright colored foam that has springer fit in CPVC, and is relatively heat resistant?

Yes. Mod Man's Red "Cera Rod" Foam. It is excellent stuff. I would recommend it over Log Home any day, especially when dealing with CPVC springers. Note- the density is a bit lower than log home, but its still great.

The Thread

There is also an online mass distributer of this stuff if you want to buy more than 100' at a time. PM me for info.

#326034 Log Home Help Foam questions

Posted by HOTH on 29 January 2013 - 03:01 PM in Darts and Barrels

In my own experience:

1. Yea it is moderately resistant. I dont think you would be in a situation in which it would fail you on this front.

2. My batch was a pretty good PETG springer fit. This should be decent for a pretty high powered 3K, even though its not a springer.

3. Moderate to hard. I was happy with the density.

#325959 MD Building Products Foam

Posted by HOTH on 28 January 2013 - 01:56 AM in Darts and Barrels

Excellent, thanks. I understand that each batch varies, but would you expect even the tighter fits in the brass to be able to breech load from a clip? I understand if this is beyond your scope of experience at this point.

Also, apprehension was a technically correct term in context.

#325955 MD Building Products Foam

Posted by HOTH on 28 January 2013 - 01:38 AM in Darts and Barrels

Thanks very much

When you say

My most recent batch, and the largest diameter I have bought thus far, has trouble fitting in 17/32 brass,

Do you mean it is too tight or too loose in the 17/32? Sorry if my apprehension is somehow lacking.

Otherwise, very helpful. Thanks again.

#325952 MD Building Products Foam

Posted by HOTH on 28 January 2013 - 01:24 AM in Darts and Barrels

Your link is showing me 196 search results...

Was it really so hard to click the one that said 1/2 x 20', especially seing as it was the very first one?

It was a link to show people the foam options.

What a helpful response.

#325949 MD Building Products Foam

Posted by HOTH on 28 January 2013 - 01:02 AM in Darts and Barrels

I have been looking for an alternative to the biege foam that I usually use. I believe it is "Best Products" brand. Its excellent foam, but as I switch to smaller ID barreling, it no longer fits my springer barrels.

I was reading through Ryan's guide, which is great, but I was wondering if anyone had any specific feedback for MD Building Products Backer Rod ? Some pro's I see are that its inexpensive, sold by Amazon, and is rumored to fit in 17/32 / CPVC / Polyester nicely for springers.

Amazon Link

Has anyone used this stuff? Is it high enough quality to buy in bulk and start to make some darts with? I will be using 17/32, CPVC, and 1/2 Polyester from now on.

Thanks