jwasko's Content

There have been 896 items by jwasko (Search limited from 09-December 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#361726 2017 Modification/Homemade Contest

Posted by jwasko on 06 October 2017 - 11:38 AM in General Nerf

Bumping with a reminder that voting ends tonight.

#361729 2017 Modification/Homemade Contest

Posted by jwasko on 08 October 2017 - 01:21 PM in General Nerf

Thanks to all who participated. It was nice to see some new things on the site: the Homemades had a few new tricks, and the Modifications showed what could be done with a limited "base model." Seeing some info on paint and other aesthetics was great, too.

Perhaps folks already looked at the polls and figured it out on their own, but now that I had time to go through and double check my spreadsheet, hereare the results.

In short:

The highest overall score was Spud Spudoni's IPAC.

Second Prize (best score in the Modifications category) goes to Snoop for his Pump Action Sentinel.

Congratulations to both of you!

#361674 2017 Modification/Homemade Contest

Posted by jwasko on 27 September 2017 - 06:34 PM in General Nerf

If presidential candidates can vote for themlselves then yeah I think it's no big deal if someone votes for him/herself in a contest of who made the best toy gun.

#361653 2017 Modification/Homemade Contest

Posted by jwasko on 25 September 2017 - 08:51 PM in General Nerf

Voting is now open. Polls will be closed at 11:59pm eastern time Friday October 6. Results will probably be posted by the following Sunday  October 8.

Please go to each of the following threads and, review the writeup, and rate each blaster on the 4 listed criteria (Originality, Functionality/Aesthetics, Complexity, and Writeup Quality)

Homemades:
IPAC
.5-.625 ACBR

Modifications
Mag-Fed XBZ Longstrike
Rapid Red
Hammershot
Pump-Action Sentinel (VGS)

(Voting is only open to Nerfhaven members)

#361467 2017 Modification/Homemade Contest

Posted by jwasko on 31 August 2017 - 09:11 PM in General Nerf

Alright I like Doge's idea. Unless someone who did post on time has a problem with it, Final deadline will be 11:59pm September 14th.

If you have something in progress, get it done. Doge and anyone else who didn't actually post a writeup on NH, figure out how to get it on NH. Did you try splitting the writeup into multiple posts in order to upload all the pictures?

Thanks to everyone who actually submitted on time. If you have a problem with the extension please PM me to discuss.

#361307 2017 Modification/Homemade Contest

Posted by jwasko on 16 August 2017 - 08:48 PM in General Nerf

So there was a lot of interest, but we only have 2 entries with a couple weeks to go.

Are people working on projects? Do we need to extend the deadline?

#360078 2017 Contest Entries

Posted by jwasko on 23 May 2017 - 09:29 PM in General Nerf

Submit entries to the 2017 Contest in this thread.

Keep discussion in the other thread; this thread is only for links to writeups.

Links must be posted by 11:59pm eastern time on August 31, 2017 September 14, 2017.

#351740 2015/16 gun of choice for basic modding?

Posted by jwasko on 24 February 2016 - 09:20 AM in Modifications

I finally picked up a sharpfire (as I see you have) and I'm really liking it.

I'm looking to follow Cartaya's modifications for it, to see if I can turn it into a sexy powerhouse of a pistol.

#351752 2015/16 gun of choice for basic modding?

Posted by jwasko on 24 February 2016 - 04:18 PM in Modifications

9637K26
9637K25

Also Hillman spring #62, which may be available at your local Ace, Busy Beaver, or other hardware store (do they have Busy Beavers outside of Southwest PA?). Cut it shorter and it'll fit in that Sharpfire.

And the Ace #49 was a popular choice for some spring pistols like the Nitefinder.

#344222 180 Setup Question

Posted by jwasko on 13 January 2015 - 12:40 AM in Modifications

While there isn't any real labels on those green batteries, the specifications given are excellent.

I'm thinking that we really should have more information about motors, given that there are dozens of different 180-series motors. Even the hobby sites I find online are pretty terrible about showing the specifications of the motors. Just generically calling them "180s" seems like we are asking for confusion. I'd really like to see anyone talking about replacement motors actually provide a link to the online listing where they were purchased, or perhaps the manufacturers information page listing all of the specifications. But that's just me.

For reference, this is the datasheet for the generic form of the "Blade 180" motor (you're to look at the FK180SH-3240 line). It's what seems to be recommended by most of the influential members of the expanded (non-NH) NIC. Works well with high-discharge 7-ish volt R/C packs (lipo or otherwise). The Xtreme Pros are a step up I believe but I've never seen a datasheet.

Yes, a motor directory and some detailed mod guides for flywheel blasters are needed. They are out there on the interwebs, yes, but there's also a lot of conflicting information right beside them.

#348817 18 Dart Magazine Spring

Posted by jwasko on 23 September 2015 - 02:51 PM in General Nerf

as far as i know there is no replacements or alternates for standard darts only stefans. you can try using some talc on the mag as the issue is the rubber part catching on the smooth plastic.

There are other options, and they are mostly on taobao as Sibrexis said; he's not an idiot.

Sibrexis, I don't know if those options are more reliable than Hasbro's offerings but I do know that other people have bought them and been satisfied.
Here's talk about one made by F10555 (the PMAG?) and I know there's also a Worker version. Don't ask me how to buy from Buychina though...

#179286 +bow: Diy Thread

Posted by jwasko on 24 September 2008 - 01:14 PM in Homemades

I really like the cylindrical plunger rod, Slug. And from what I hear, the new trigger is a big improvement (as far as ease of firing and/or comfort).

I'm mainly posting, however, to bring to your attention a possibly important typo in your Rev. 2 writeup:

In the picture for step 21, you label the holes in the hex bushing as being 9/64" while in the writeup of that step you say to drill a 5/32" hole.

I don't know if that actually matters or not, but in case it does...there you go.

#135534 +bow

Posted by jwasko on 10 January 2008 - 07:37 PM in Homemades

This may be a dumb/weird question, but: how did you get those spacer plates on the turret to be so...round?

Did you use a special tool, or are you just that awesome?

#135416 +bow

Posted by jwasko on 09 January 2008 - 09:10 PM in Homemades

Firstly, since I haven't said this yet: nice job, CS.

Secondly, a small contribution:

Observing some of your pictures just now, I saw that (like the Crossbow) there is a great place above the plunger chamber to put stuff. I don't know how much you have studied other's Crossbows, but it is fairly common to integrate an AT2(or 3)k, or an SM1500 (maybe an SM3000, too?). When doing this, some people have placed the pump where the Crossbow's barrel originally was (atop the plunger chamber), and the airtank/barrel below the plunger chamber; others do it the opposite way.

So, what I'm trying to say is: a second bracket-attachment point above the plunger chamber would be a great addition and, probably, pretty easy to add to the design.

#132976 '07 Highlights

Posted by jwasko on 18 December 2007 - 06:34 PM in General Nerf

Highlights:
  • Finding the NIC by accident (via Wikipedia).
  • Getting validated (thanks again, OMC).
  • Doing my first modification with nothing abut a screwdriver and a Swiss Army Knife (I'm pretty sure it was a Mav...honestly, I don't see what's so hard about modding them).
  • Finding AT2ks at Kohls.
  • Finding AT3ks (apparently the delivery truck finally made it here, or something, because all of a sudden they're everywere).
  • Getting PETG.
  • Finding other Nerfers near me.
  • All you cool members of the NIC, sharing your knowledge and experiences for the betterment of the hobby.
  • Having lots of cool ideas.
Lowlights:
  • PANO getting canceled at the last second.
  • Having too many cool ideas.

#144897 $20 Magstrike 2-pack

Posted by jwasko on 12 March 2008 - 06:10 PM in General Nerf

According to the site:

Features:
Four dart magazines which includes 10 tagger micro darts each (40 Tagger Micro Darts)
Two Mag Strike blasters with air powered rapid blast action that launch darts up to 30 feet and holds up to 10 tagger micro darts
Two scoring vests - adjustable for a variety of sizes

I'd say it's a two-pack, alright.

Edit: beat^2