Zack the Mack's Content

There have been 313 items by Zack the Mack (Search limited from 30-December 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#282268 2-11

Posted by Zack the Mack on 05 August 2010 - 11:03 PM in Homemades

Awesome design, great progression of the +Bow. Simple, elegant, looks like anyone with a brain stem and a bandsaw will be able to fabricate one. It's the AK-47 of Nerf.

I especially like that catch - I can see it becoming a critical part of RTP-like blasters. What's it made of?

#282072 Guide To Barrel Material

Posted by Zack the Mack on 04 August 2010 - 09:14 AM in Modifications

For now I will say: in OD it was like normal PVC the NIC has been using for ages, but it's ID doesn't fit megas, it fits micros, so 1/2" I recall it saying thick-wall on it, it was grey and near the electrical stuff.

It's Schedule 80 electrical conduit. Here's a link to the same stuff in 2" (The 1/2" isn't on Lowe's site).
EDIT: Split beat me to it.

#281988 Hybrid Hopper, Combines Hopper With Brisc

Posted by Zack the Mack on 03 August 2010 - 04:26 PM in Darts and Barrels

How does it feed darts if gravity isn't pushing them down the hopper?
EDIT: Posted before Chops added more details. The recoil knocks the next dart in.

I'm interested in seeing how this performs in a pumped airgun, where the 'recoil' isn't as strong. I'll test it out.

#281857 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by Zack the Mack on 02 August 2010 - 01:10 PM in Modifications

Super Soaker Iron Man + 3K + bike pump + 5-dart breeched hopper + 14" brass barrel + 7" breeched barrel + N-Strike Rail + Pinpoint Sight = My Apoc primary.

Posted Image

Super Soak that ho.

Posted Image

The red dot sight isn't just for tacticool overkill - because of the air tank's orientation, it's impossible to aim down the barrel. The blaster's accurate enough for the optics to work.

#281046 The Next Pa War

Posted by Zack the Mack on 23 July 2010 - 12:12 PM in Nerf Wars

I'll go. BJ, Chops, and others, I can try to pick you up if you're on the way.

#280968 Jsno - Jersey Shore Nerf Out

Posted by Zack the Mack on 22 July 2010 - 02:29 PM in Nerf Wars

Defend the Playground was Effeminate.

What's up with the Effeminate? Is there a new word filter I don't know about?

Also, Numa (and anyone else who took video), can you try to get me the original files of any video footage you took at the war? I'd like to make a montage.

#280811 The Next Pa War

Posted by Zack the Mack on 20 July 2010 - 11:52 AM in Nerf Wars

Really? Where?
And no, Im busy that weekend.

We've got Apoc on the 7th, and LINO on the 28th. Now that I think of it, LINO isn't close to PA at all. And I don't think it would interfere much anyways. Never mind.

#280799 The Next Pa War

Posted by Zack the Mack on 20 July 2010 - 08:34 AM in Nerf Wars

I'd love to go, but it depends on the date. There are at least two August wars already planned in the area - could we have this on 6/31 as a warm-up for Apoc?

#280676 Jsno - Jersey Shore Nerf Out

Posted by Zack the Mack on 19 July 2010 - 09:32 AM in Nerf Wars

Damn, what a weekend. As soon as this war was over, I hit the road and drove to Maryland for UMD's Dart of War. It was really interesting, going from an outdoor NIC war to an indoor HvZ-style war. LT did a pretty good job getting this organized, and we had a great continuum of Nerfers.

This was the first war I've been to that heavily featured hoppers, and they're already getting old.

Highlights!
- The Iron Man Super Soaker getting a hopper and raping face. Perhaps too much face. I might put one of Tantum's homemade OPRV's to tone down the power.
- Lucian insisting on having showdowns with me each game, and getting his ass kicked each time!
- Attack and Defend, with attackers using stock darts. It was actually well-balanced. Stock darts in drums work surprisingly well!
- Finally seeing Lucian's "improvements" to my L+L. It's so ostentatious. I love it!
- Lots of CtF! 10-year-old Asian ninjas kept sneaking through our defenses!
- Homa-sexual wimping out
- Traded away the Batman Belt Blaster, which people at the war could actually wear!
- Ace's AUG HBAR SNAP
- Switching teams partway through an Attack and Defend
- Getting a gnarly thumb blister, and repairing the damage with Band-Aids and e-tape
- SUPER HOT! I drank almost a gallon of water. Lucy's dad dumped the rest on his head.
- Not a single gun breakage
- Thanks for using Slug darts, people. I only got two welts, and they were from the only person using slingshot darts.
- Skipping darts across the water!

#280408 Ghillie Suit In A Nerf War?

Posted by Zack the Mack on 16 July 2010 - 01:41 PM in General Nerf

Yeah man, they make you invisible, and when you're invisible, no one can hit you! It's standard issue around here. I recommend one if you are going to go to any NIC war.

Just bear in mind that a brand-new ghillie suit has a generic camouflage. Remember to add leaves, branches, and other local flora from the war location before starting combat.

#280339 Umd Dart Of War 3

Posted by Zack the Mack on 15 July 2010 - 03:38 PM in Nerf Wars

I found some pictures of this war's venue on the UMD NAS's site:
http://www.umdnerf.c...ew09/index.html
The pics are too big to embed, but check them out if you're undecided. They'll change your mind.

#280203 Humans Vs Zombies Recommended Weapons

Posted by Zack the Mack on 14 July 2010 - 09:30 AM in General Nerf

My friends at UMD and Goucher (they invented HvZ) tell me that your best bet is to avoid combat as much as you can. Remember Rule 17: Don't be a hero.

But if you really need to go down guns blazing, you won't do better than a stock Longshot with a Raider drum. Don't single a Berserker for HvZ, you'll kill someone.

EDIT: Padding your plunger head or using an airgun will keep your squad quiet in night missions.

#280055 Umd Dart Of War 3

Posted by Zack the Mack on 12 July 2010 - 03:33 PM in Nerf Wars

I'm driving in from South Jersey on Saturday evening. If anyone wants to carpool and split the gas, send me a PM.

#280047 Nj Apocalypse 2010

Posted by Zack the Mack on 12 July 2010 - 01:34 PM in Nerf Wars

Yes, I'm going.
Yes, this war will be excellent.
Yes, I'm looking forward to re-connecting with everyone.

#280044 Jsno - Jersey Shore Nerf Out

Posted by Zack the Mack on 12 July 2010 - 01:11 PM in Nerf Wars

I'm heading up to UMD for Dart of War directly after JSNO.
I have room for a few people, if anyone wants to split gas money.
The guy I'm staying with at UMD has room for a couple more, so if you want a ride, get in touch.

#279992 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by Zack the Mack on 11 July 2010 - 08:19 PM in Modifications

Work in progress:
Posted Image

#279826 Chainblazer Mod...singled?!?!

Posted by Zack the Mack on 09 July 2010 - 09:12 AM in Modifications

Tactical Spatula!

You've opened the floodgates for some weird integrations.

Also, Chainblazers rule. Good job.

#279677 Umd Dart Of War 3

Posted by Zack the Mack on 07 July 2010 - 08:59 AM in Nerf Wars

I'll be there, and I'll be bringing a purpose-built indoor primary.

JSNO and Dart of War in one weekend... that's 500 miles of driving and 12+ hours of Nerfing. I love it!!

#279272 N-strike Barrel Break Ix-2

Posted by Zack the Mack on 02 July 2010 - 03:00 PM in News

I found this patent filed by Hasbro for a break-barrel blaster. It could be the same technology used in the Barrel Break.

Am I seeing a regular, non-inverse plunger in the patent's diagrams?

#278180 Splitfire/2k Turret Modification!

Posted by Zack the Mack on 21 June 2010 - 08:36 AM in Modifications

That's a hell of a mod, nice job! I wonder why no one's thought of this yet - SplitFires and 2K's have been popular for a decade...

Anyways, I've got a Splitfire and I'd love to rip this off, so now all I need is a 2K turret!

#277869 Build Your Own Mobstacles

Posted by Zack the Mack on 16 June 2010 - 01:41 PM in Homemades

Would using wider PVC make the Mobstacle more stable?
Could solvent-welding it together make it solid enough that you don't need tensioning cords?
If the cloth is left loose, would it be less likely to tear when shot?

#277148 'sticky' Petg?

Posted by Zack the Mack on 08 June 2010 - 09:31 AM in General Nerf

So, I bought some PETG from Mod Man to finish my Daikaiju Berserker. However, there seems to be a lot of friction between darts and the barrel - no blaster I try can push any dart more than a couple of inches. Tighter darts need a few minutes with a stick to push through, and even very loose darts get jammed partway.

I've tested with darts made from Frost King, converted stock darts, MrCrouse's foam, and others, and nothing makes it through.
I've tried barrels of 12" and 6" on a +bow, Signal Launcher, PistolSplat, and blowing them by mouth.

The PETG doesn't feel sticky or strange - it feels totally normal, but darts just won't let go of the walls.

This doesn't happen with the PETG on Silencer's NF (heh heh).

Any ideas? Should I sand down the inner walls, grease them up, change darts?

#276174 Marshmallow Mforcer

Posted by Zack the Mack on 27 May 2010 - 02:20 PM in Modifications

Nice mod! These things look really promising - semi-auto and awesome aesthetics. I'm really digging the fishing-pole pump handle.

Just curious, how many pumps does it take to fill this thing?

#275508 Nj Apocalypse 2010

Posted by Zack the Mack on 21 May 2010 - 07:22 PM in Nerf Wars

The Stevens crew is rolling out! I'll be there with 3+ friends. This will definitely be the highlight of the summer.

#275503 Spring Bcno

Posted by Zack the Mack on 21 May 2010 - 07:06 PM in Nerf Wars

You're the man, LT.

Er...LT?

Heh heh... you're the man, DB.
LT, you're also the man. :D

DX - The Mag7 and many other hosts have been banning all non-CS darts from their wars. The idea is to limit range and prevent the poor widdle nerfers from having to suffer through the agony of welts.

I'm glad we're all macho here and don't restrict darts.

#275482 Spring Bcno

Posted by Zack the Mack on 21 May 2010 - 05:06 PM in Nerf Wars

Yay for double post. I'll be there. I'm makin shit happen for this.

Oh, and Zack, I got ya with those materials.

You're the man, LT.

#275427 Spring Bcno

Posted by Zack the Mack on 21 May 2010 - 12:37 AM in Nerf Wars

Sorry for the double post, I wanted to draw attention to this:

I REALLY need 7" of [k26] spring and a 1/2" PVC wye. Can anyone bring a pre-cut spring of this length or a wye for me to buy?

#275426 Spring Bcno

Posted by Zack the Mack on 20 May 2010 - 11:57 PM in Nerf Wars

Fucking hell, I completely forgot about this war. You bet your ass I'll be there, but I'll be using my old slingshot-weight darts. Sorry.

Seoul, did you send out the BS tanks? If I had known you'd be coming, we would have just made our deal in person!

#275203 N-strike Alpha Trooper Cs-18

Posted by Zack the Mack on 18 May 2010 - 05:31 PM in General Nerf

High-five to Nerf's kick-ass PR people. You girls rock.

Also, no socket for barrel extensions?!

#275132 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by Zack the Mack on 18 May 2010 - 01:00 AM in Modifications

It's summer break, and that means my mod shop is open for business!
Out with the old...
Posted Image
and in with the new:
Posted Image
Aww, yeah, it's an Arctic Shock Nerf Super Soaker Iron Man!
Top barrel fires unicorns, bottom barrel launches the love of beautiful women.
Pump comes from a Titan, with a tee for ergonomic goodness.
Posted Image
Three-dart brass-breeched inline, McGuyver style.
Posted Image
ZOMGFPSMODEJUSTLIKEMODERNWARFARE2HOWMANYKILLSTILIGETTHEHEARTBEATSENSOR?!!!
Posted Image

#268348 Nerf Drum Mag Improvement

Posted by Zack the Mack on 07 March 2010 - 02:30 PM in General Nerf

Is there anyway to improve the drum magazine to advance bullets more quickly

Otherwise maybe the weight is offsetting it, as in the spring in the mechanism that holds the clips in place isn't strong enough to hold the drum in the proper place.

You can't improve the force of the spring - it's a constant-force spring whose strength is dependent on the size of the reel it's wound around.

Cheez has the right idea - you could glue some thin styrene sheet or other plastic to the inside of the blaster to try and decrease the magazine's wiggle room. The jamming probably isn't caused by the clip advancing slowly, but by attempting to load a dart when the clip is at an angle.

#268298 Camo Ammo Question

Posted by Zack the Mack on 06 March 2010 - 11:36 PM in General Nerf

You can see a picture at the Nerf Facebook group:
http://www.facebook....id=158498753170

They probably appeal more to office warriors than little kids. It certainly gels with the tactical vests and other realistic accessories.
Will they replace regular darts? Probably not. Other accessories at the Toy Fair included regular orange Streamline Darts, so this will be a specialty item for the time being.

#267740 Hitler Finds Out About The Nerf Longstrike And Deploy

Posted by Zack the Mack on 02 March 2010 - 11:50 PM in Off Topic

Don't worry, there's always Lanard.

I love it!

#267588 The Grid Code Indoor Arena War

Posted by Zack the Mack on 02 March 2010 - 12:28 PM in Nerf Wars

I'll ask the other Stevens guys if they're interested, that could add up to 6.

#267081 The Grid Code Indoor Arena War

Posted by Zack the Mack on 26 February 2010 - 07:39 PM in Nerf Wars

I'm up for it any week in April. Talio, could the owners send you some indoor pics so we can figure out which blasters to use?

#266738 Gears' Smedley Park Skirmish

Posted by Zack the Mack on 24 February 2010 - 02:14 PM in Nerf Wars

Sounds good to me. Sign me up. The Stevens Crew (5+) might show as well, but we won't know that until the date gets closer.

EDIT: Depends if my parents replace the car my brother decided to crash. Gears, is there a train station or something nearby?

#266640 Gears' Smedley Park Skirmish

Posted by Zack the Mack on 23 February 2010 - 07:38 PM in Nerf Wars

I'll probably be able to make it. I'll ask the Stevens crew if they're interested.

#265854 You May Not Want To Re-barrell Your 4b Just Yet...

Posted by Zack the Mack on 18 February 2010 - 09:58 AM in Modifications

You shot a weighted missile a hundred feet? Unless you angled that Berserker, I'm calling shenanigans on this one.

#265743 Blaster Classification/rating System

Posted by Zack the Mack on 17 February 2010 - 12:22 PM in General Nerf

This sounds too complicated to implement at a real war. It's too difficult to measure range on the field, and many players only have one primary. At a highly structured Nerf war (Oxymoron!), this could work, I suppose. Some suggestions:

- Range penalties should use a logarithmic scale. The difference between 30 and 50 feet is negligible, but the difference between 80 and 100 feet is game-breaking.

- Players should only be ranked by their highest-point-value blaster. From what I've seen, it's prohibitively difficult to carry more than one primary, and merely switching between a primary and a sidearm is borderline impossible. The power difference between a player with two +Bows and a player with one +Bow is probably nonexistent.

Moral of the story: Play the Shields game type!

#265338 Nerf Marauder Longsword Reinforcement

Posted by Zack the Mack on 14 February 2010 - 12:08 PM in Modifications

Food for thought:

Do you really need to hit things as hard as you can with this?

100% agreement with Fome.

The new Nerf swords are already dangerously dense. Further stiffening them is the equivalent of trying to tank expand or airflow mod a singled titan.

The Fury swords like the one this guy's working on are a lot squishier than the Marauder and Warlock. Even if you get slashed full-throttle, they really don't hurt.

Remember, folks, it's more fun if you hit them with the flat side of the blade. SMACK!!