Draconis's Content

There have been 1000 items by Draconis (Search limited from 03-January 97)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#361138 Homemade Blaster Survey

Posted by Draconis on 31 July 2017 - 01:57 PM in Homemades

Why does everyone forget the 'e' at the end of silicone?

#361050 PaNWar 2, Sunday August 13th Centralia, WA

Posted by Draconis on 20 July 2017 - 07:48 PM in Nerf Wars

Planing on attending. Any limits on blasters beside common sense stuff?(singled titans and so forth)

Hadn't gotten there yet, pretty much common sense stuff, no HPA.

#361047 2017 Nerf War Schedule

Posted by Draconis on 20 July 2017 - 05:17 PM in Nerf Wars

August:

[url=http://nerfhaven.com/forums/topic/27893-panwar-2-sunday-august-13th-centralia-wa/]13th [WA] PaNWar 2[/url]

#361046 PaNWar 2, Sunday August 13th Centralia, WA

Posted by Draconis on 20 July 2017 - 05:14 PM in Nerf Wars

Alright folks, it is that time again!  Join the nerfers of the Pacific Northwest for Panwar 2!

Date: Sunday, August 13th, 2017
Time: 10:00AM until 5:00PM-ish, with lunch around 1:00PM.
Location:  Same as last year, Fort Borst Park, Centralia Washington.  Super easy to get to from anywhere on I-5.

Map:

https://www.google.c...!4d-122.9542972

Schedule of events:
https://docs.google....it?usp=drivesdk

(Subject to change)

Stuff to bring:

• Eye protection.  This is mandatory, not up for discussion.  No glasses, no play.  Recommend Z81+ impact resistance.  If you happen to forget yours, we will have some extras, just in case.
  • Water.  Mid-August and all.  Powerade might be a good idea too.  I had a leg cramp last week while sweeping for darts, which was only alleviated by Powerade.  Aging sucks.
  • A single-barrel pistol.  At least one game will require a single barreled micro dart pistol, no revolvers, Boomco darts not recommended for that game.
  • A ball blaster, HIR-compatible recommended.  At least one game will feature ball blasters only.  You can certainly use Ballistic Balls or Zurg-style 30mm balls, but Rivals and Sceptors will probably dominate the field.  We'll have some extra Apollos available to borrow, just let us know if you need one.
  • A missile or rocket blaster.  At least one game will require use of a Demo/XBZ compatible blaster.  We should have some extra UMBs and such available to borrow, but please let us know in advance so we can make sure to bring enough.
  • Darts/Ammo.  We do have a cache of public-use full-length darts.  Pretty much on your own for half-length stuff, though.  If you bring homemade darts, Slugs, silicone domes, and other soft-tipped darts are great.  DO NOT bring glue domes, they will be sequestered from play and likely destroyed.  We found some of the worst darts I have ever personally seen during the sweep last year, and do not want a repeat.  If you are purchasing aftermarket darts, we recommend one of the various waffle designs, koosh heads, fake accustrikes, Artifact etc.  Please don't buy solid vinyl head darts in the FVJ or nipple styles.  They are cheap, but that is because they suck.
  • Sunscreen!  The field is mostly shady, but you'll probably get some sun.

Rules:

• Don't be a dick (haha irony).
  • Call your hits!
  • Don't argue with called hits!
  • Don't call hits unless you are certain.  If you are uncertain, ask.
  • Don't aim for head shots, see rule 1.
  • Not a hard-and-fast rule, but the recommended minimum age is 13 years.  Some of these blasters are going to be pretty powerful, so there may be some pain involved.
  • If someone is injured, stop immediately, hold your blaster in the air, and yell "Hold!".  If you hear "Hold!", stop playing immediately.

Lunch:

Within a short walk from the park are: Safeway, Jack in the Box, Subway, Taco Bell, Arby's, and Starbucks.  We'll start around 1:00 and start back up around 1:30.

The Facebook event, if you are interested: https://www.facebook...28516897170020/

Attendees:

Draconis
AgentWashington
naitivenerf
moltar74 +1
WalcomS7

Had to go back to work, I'll keep working on this!

#360866 Flywheel and Cage Questions

Posted by Draconis on 30 June 2017 - 04:14 PM in Modifications

And by "high crush," that means less space b/w the flywheels, so the dart gets deformed more as it passes through the flywheels?

Yes, exactly.

#360860 n-strike vs elite firefly clip

Posted by Draconis on 30 June 2017 - 11:09 AM in Darts and Barrels

They are identical, save for the plastic color.  If you want some, I am pretty certain that I still have a bunch that I would sell pretty cheap.

#360857 Flywheel and Cage Questions

Posted by Draconis on 30 June 2017 - 10:57 AM in Modifications

What affect do flywheels and cages have on precision and accuracy of the darts?

They shouldn't really have any effect at all, but the diehard flywheelers insist they do.

#360845 Chest rig

Posted by Draconis on 29 June 2017 - 06:57 PM in General Nerf

For some of us.

landscape_1431084228-men-try-bras.png

Take your physical fitness seriously, folks.

#360737 Rival Magazine Storage?

Posted by Draconis on 23 June 2017 - 11:46 AM in General Nerf

I'm using a drop-leg pouch like this, which works pretty well.  I can fit three 12-ball clips in it, and they stick out enough that I can reload them when not actively being shot at.
https://www.amazon.c...words=leg pouch

#360653 Muzzle loading 17th Century Pistol

Posted by Draconis on 19 June 2017 - 10:59 AM in Homemades

Wow, man, this is just as awesome as your last build.  Thanks for showing it to us!

#360554 JSPB B&B mini-hopper

Posted by Draconis on 13 June 2017 - 06:02 PM in Homemades

Would making a pressure vessel out of slightly thicker polyester tubing be a suitable alternative to PVC then? Or would you lose the rip vs fracture advantage the thicker the material you use?

You'd probably be fine, but the tricky part would be the connections at the end.  You would need to use thick enough walls to allow you to cut threads into it, or use push-to-connect fittings like the Sharkbite brand.  Polyester is not solvent weldable, relatively chemically inert, and most adhesives either will not bond to it or are unsuitable for pressurized gas.  If it were me, I'd use PEX or metal instead.

#360549 Recon CS-6 $ Value ?

Posted by Draconis on 13 June 2017 - 12:23 PM in General Nerf

That would be a clear recon, and you should try selling it for around $25.00. I would try a garage sale before selling it online.

Garage sales are not money makers for Nerf stuff.  If you want the top dollar for something even slightly rare, it should be on Ebay, Nerfhaven, or Nerf B/S/T on Facebook.

#360426 Nerf Maverick 3d printed

Posted by Draconis on 07 June 2017 - 06:52 PM in General Nerf

This is about the saddest thread ever.

#360296 [WA] The Battle of Fort Borst III - June 4th 2017

Posted by Draconis on 02 June 2017 - 06:40 PM in Nerf Wars

Who exactly were you at the borst 2, I would like to know.

I am the handsom older gentleman with the vast array of ridiculous blasters, seen here as a frightened passenger during a driving lesson.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20170225_135937.jpg

#360289 Got anything longer? (Springs)

Posted by Draconis on 02 June 2017 - 04:05 PM in Modifications

Okay, clarification on how springs work:

For any given section of a spring, the same percentage of deflection requires the same total force.  Say I have an 11" spring which takes forty pounds of force to compress 90%.  If I cut it in half, that same 90% deflection will still require forty pounds to compress, even if that happens in 4.5" instead of 9".

#360283 [WA] The Battle of Fort Borst III - June 4th 2017

Posted by Draconis on 02 June 2017 - 01:04 PM in Nerf Wars

Just a reminder, this thing is happening on SUNDAY!  I won't be able to attend, but the last one was a blast, so you should go.  Yes you.  You know who you are.

#360024 Weird ammo I need to launch.

Posted by Draconis on 19 May 2017 - 06:56 PM in Darts and Barrels

Where can I get this monstrosity?

*shrug*  I've no idea, sorry.

#359989 [WA] Fort War II: The Borstening - May 13th 2017 - Centralia, WA

Posted by Draconis on 17 May 2017 - 07:28 PM in Nerf Wars

Due to the moving of this date back to the 20th, I am now able to attend!  Looking forward to seeing all of you, just before I hit you with darts!

#359986 Legal Issues of forming a nerf club locally

Posted by Draconis on 17 May 2017 - 06:59 PM in General Nerf

You might see some unexpected doors opening if you register as a non-profit. If local businesses donate anything to your group they'll be able to write off the expenses on their tax forms. Theirs a wyoming nerf group that has really taken off recently and since they've registered as a non-profit they've had several buisnesses donating everything from gift cards to by ammo to NIB blasters. They've also seen tremendous support from their counties parks department in the form of free venues to nerf in. You'll also be able to get group insurance on the cheap.

That's a really good point.  I'm going to talk to my group about that this weekend.

#359985 Weird ammo I need to launch.

Posted by Draconis on 17 May 2017 - 06:58 PM in Darts and Barrels

You need a long, low pressure acceleration, or you'll just destroy the paper.

Also, this exists: 

#359819 High Cap Magazine Collective Brain-Spew

Posted by Draconis on 10 May 2017 - 06:32 PM in Homemades

In my mind, that does everything mags already do but with a totally new ecosystem required. So I'll be spending effort elsewhere, even though that's cool and higher capacity than regular mags.

Might be good as retrofits for blaster that use larger clips, such as the Buzz Bees with the shell clips, or MEGA clips.  Conversely, if a homemade were designed to use a double-stack type, an adapter for single-stacks normal clips could also be made.  Sorta like Cartaya/Jet's half-length clips, but wider.

#359812 Magnetic blaster

Posted by Draconis on 10 May 2017 - 04:15 PM in Homemades

I always find it amazing that the younglings think we haven't discussed magnetics before.

#359340 What was the first known homemade?

Posted by Draconis on 20 April 2017 - 12:02 PM in Homemades

There are plenty from before that period.  Just in our homemades directory there are some from 2003, though most lack functional pictures at this point. 

http://nerfhaven.com...y-new-homemade/

#359296 What was the first ever Nerf Mod.

Posted by Draconis on 17 April 2017 - 11:26 PM in General Nerf

Ahhh, webrings.  How I miss thee.

#359232 Elites/full length darts in an rscb

Posted by Draconis on 14 April 2017 - 10:28 AM in Darts and Barrels

Would a [[k26]]'d BBB be able to feed elites through an inline RSCB?

I know you can RSCB a BBB, was just wondering if it would feed elites.

1) Yes, Elites are not special darts requiring different mechanics, other than they are more difficult to feed through hoppers.

2) You are mixing descriptions.  RSCB setups have the "clip" portion stored behind a tee fitting, where the barrel is in front and the air inlet at the bottom.  An inline clip consists of a wider portion of tubing holding the darts, with the barrel at the front and the air inlet at the rear.

#359204 Elites/full length darts in an rscb

Posted by Draconis on 13 April 2017 - 11:26 AM in Darts and Barrels

I know rscb clips will work with slugs but most wars in my area don't allow homemade darts.

I would find it really odd for a group to ban homemade darts, but allow you to use something ridiculously powerful like a singled drain Jobar or Titan.  I use stock darts in my RSCB-equipped RainbowPup and ESLT pretty much all the time.  Most of my group uses factory-made darts, so they are most of what I pick up off the ground during wars.

#359203 THIS one simple design will have you in TEARS...

Posted by Draconis on 13 April 2017 - 11:09 AM in Homemades

The other surprise I had was that there was no smell. I've gotten used to how awful Type I PVC smells when you overheat it. Whatever this grade of PVC is it doesn't produce as many byproduct vapors as Type I. At least not at the temperatures I was going to.

Something I found out recently is that the vapors we always thought were chlorine gas (for the kids at home: super death, Geneva Convention illegal, melt your lungs stuff), is actually HCl (hydrochloric acid).  While still not something you want massive exposure to, it isn't going to kill you, mutate your dog, or anything like that.

#359183 40v Motors

Posted by Draconis on 12 April 2017 - 01:34 PM in Modifications

Just as a general rule, I would suggest against using any power supply with a potential that high.  40v DC is enough to bridge damp-ish-or-at-least-not-dry-leathery-hands skin and supply quite a shock.

#359182 Buzz bee ultra tek Rapid tek vs sentinel

Posted by Draconis on 12 April 2017 - 01:25 PM in General Nerf

Do you know if you can rotate the priming handle to the other side and has anyone done that?

A slot would need to be cut in the left side but the handle should be able to rotate around with no problem.  I'll post about it when we've done it to Agent Washington's Ultra Tek Spine.

#359019 The Battle for Fort Borst, Centralia [WA]

Posted by Draconis on 04 April 2017 - 11:29 AM in Nerf Wars

Well I was just about to ask if there were any games going on up this way. My kid just asked if we could go to the "Nerf War". I haven't hosted one in a long long time. So im glad to see something soon. We will try and make it out.

Whoa.  I thought you were dead!

#359016 Does anyone know of an adapter that can screw onto a titan?

Posted by Draconis on 04 April 2017 - 10:23 AM in Modifications

How much would one of these cost?

There are multiple things referred to, there. Could you be more specific?  I usually charge $6 plus shipping for a rocket barrel.

#358998 The Battle for Fort Borst, Centralia [WA]

Posted by Draconis on 03 April 2017 - 01:34 PM in Nerf Wars

Where: Fort Borst Park, Centralia Washington

When: April 22nd at 11:00AM

I'm not running this war, but it will be held at the same (excellent) location where we had the first PaNWar last August.  Definitely head out there if you can!

https://www.facebook...71122056672239/

#358889 USC barrel material

Posted by Draconis on 29 March 2017 - 04:53 PM in Darts and Barrels

Frankly, trial and error, like the rest of us.

#358721 Does anyone know of an adapter that can screw onto a titan?

Posted by Draconis on 23 March 2017 - 10:47 AM in Modifications

I can print one of them and ship it to you, or I also make PVC versions which are stronger.  Normally as complete replacement barrels to work with my rockets, but I could also build adapters to fit multi-barrel shells or whatever.

#358684 Longstrike Cosmetic Kits

Posted by Draconis on 21 March 2017 - 06:37 PM in Modifications

I haven't seen anything, but in what way specifically?

#358662 Crossbow Tube Help?

Posted by Draconis on 20 March 2017 - 05:08 PM in Modifications

Honestly, it has been so long since I had one open, I don't remember for sure.  It would certainly be advantageous for extra strength.

#358657 Crossbow Tube Help?

Posted by Draconis on 20 March 2017 - 10:30 AM in Modifications

If you don't want to shave down all of the internal ribs and such, you will want something like these: 8585K205 9245K41

#358559 Air Blasters

Posted by Draconis on 14 March 2017 - 05:34 PM in General Nerf

I am trying to find a suitably small and cheap air blaster and was wondering what more knowledgeable nerfers knew about the performance of some. I have heard about some but have no idea of the performance of them.

Of blasters that are current production models and available at retail, the absolute best performance versus cost can be had from a Buzz Bee Extreme Blastzooka, known as the XBZ.  They are available on Amazon for $16, currently.

Drain blasters are the best bang for your buck.

Drain blasters are not exactly small, and while you get a lot of air out, you have to put a /lot/ in.  They also have a tendency to break after some use, and should be reinforced.

#358548 LEDs Question

Posted by Draconis on 13 March 2017 - 06:14 PM in General Nerf

1)  All diodes, including LEDs, have a specific voltage drop based on their composition.  Most normal rectifier diodes are 0.7v, but LEDs are higher and vary with the color.  You will need to check the specifications of the units you are using to calculate what your drops will be.  This chart will give you some vague idea, though.

LED-Colour.gif

2) Five red LEDs is going to require an input of something in the 8-10V.  I would recommend 3S, with a current limiting resistor.

#358495 CANCELLED Woodland Park Nerf War 3/25/17 [WA]

Posted by Draconis on 10 March 2017 - 04:46 PM in Nerf Wars

Have you joined the NW area group we have on Facebook?  While there are not usually too many wars, in this case there is a war planned at Fort Worden that day, and you may find few people interested in yours.  Take a look: https://www.facebook...03196049863987/ There is also one planned for tomorrow in Olympia, if you are interested.