Legal Issues of forming a nerf club locally

4 replies to this topic

#1 EricTzH

EricTzH

• FNG2
  • 5 posts
  • State:Illinois

Posted 16 May 2017 - 12:37 AM

I wish to start a nerf war group here in Carbondale, IL (USA). However, I'm not sure whether do I need to register my organization.

For u guys information.. In every nerf war I will be collecting a few bucks for darts maintenance and blaster rental. Besides, I'm planning to host it in some local parks here.

#2 Meaker VI

Meaker VI

• Contributors
  • 759 posts
  • State:Washington
  • u/MeakerVI on Reddit

Posted 16 May 2017 - 08:43 AM

At our scale, maybe nothing, especially if you're just collecting money to buy darts/food/etc. Do book clubs need to register anywhere?

If you want to really be on the up and up, register as a business, work with the local parks department, or work with an existing organization (church, YMCA, school) which has the resources (insurance, licensing, maybe location) to get started.

#3 shmmee

shmmee

• Members
  • 421 posts
  • State:Utah

Posted 16 May 2017 - 09:25 AM

You might see some unexpected doors opening if you register as a non-profit. If local businesses donate anything to your group they'll be able to write off the expenses on their tax forms. Theirs a wyoming nerf group that has really taken off recently and since they've registered as a non-profit they've had several buisnesses donating everything from gift cards to by ammo to NIB blasters. They've also seen tremendous support from their counties parks department in the form of free venues to nerf in. You'll also be able to get group insurance on the cheap.

"and we should respect the people who make our blasters. Even if we do molest the hell out of them..."
~BritNerfMogul

#4 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,636 posts
  • NerfHaven Subscription Supporter
  • State:Oregon
  • u/Parabolictoys on Reddit

Posted 17 May 2017 - 06:59 PM

You might see some unexpected doors opening if you register as a non-profit. If local businesses donate anything to your group they'll be able to write off the expenses on their tax forms. Theirs a wyoming nerf group that has really taken off recently and since they've registered as a non-profit they've had several buisnesses donating everything from gift cards to by ammo to NIB blasters. They've also seen tremendous support from their counties parks department in the form of free venues to nerf in. You'll also be able to get group insurance on the cheap.

That's a really good point.  I'm going to talk to my group about that this weekend.

[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#5 DblDrgn

DblDrgn

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • State:Pennsylvania

Posted 22 May 2017 - 06:57 PM

it's a hobby, just run the couple of bucks under the table nobody will bother you about such a small amount of money. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users