ambushbug's Content

There have been 100 items by ambushbug (Search limited from 11-December 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#73924 2 Methods For Barrel Extension

Posted by ambushbug on 22 February 2006 - 09:12 PM in Modifications

I also realized that the plastic tube for my used lip-balm (actually Burt's Bees - not Chap Stick) is also a good tight fit for my micros. Furthermore, the cap fit nicely over a 9/16 brass tube. This means that when the tube is "capped", the barrel extension clicks into place and no more barrel extensions flying/sliding off.

Posted Image

Posted Image

the nice thing is that the yellow tube has a hole in the base that is of narrower diameter (so that the darts cannot be "sucked" backwards towards the plunger - though the tight fit would probably prevent it anyway). Another plus, is that the tube fits perfectly into a 1/2" CPVC coupler. It stays in place even without glue (I did anyway).
Posted Image

Posted Image

This barrel is currently being used on my MaxShot (below) and my ERTL FS1010 (not shown).
Posted Image

Again, no official range testing but I think it suffices to say that it works well. The only thing is that the brass can't be too long (e.g. the full 12") or its weight makes the cap/barrel somewhat crooked.

Nothing revolutionary but just some new fodder for the mod-idea mill.

*Sorry for the virtually non-existent write-up (I'm in a rush) but I think you guys can figure it out from the pics alone.

#73923 2 Methods For Barrel Extension

Posted by ambushbug on 22 February 2006 - 08:57 PM in Modifications

Posted Image

I cut out the trigger guard to make more room form my hand -tiny handle!
Posted Image

Posted Image

This is the barrel at full length.
Posted Image

This is the barrel retracted.
Posted Image

Again, because this is a muzzle-loaded blaster, I couldn't make the 9/16 piece very long so I only get anothr 2.5-3inches of extension. Not much, but it can't hurt. I can't do any official range testing (and my basement is in shambles) but it does seem to add a few extra feet. I'm thinking about using springs for my next nested brass/breech barrel.

to be continued (chap stick barrel) ...

[edit: I forgot to mention - I plugged the pump as usual - the general aspects of the mod was adapted from Cxwq's on the mod directory)]

#73918 2 Methods For Barrel Extension

Posted by ambushbug on 22 February 2006 - 08:50 PM in Modifications

I've been playing around with different ideas for adding brass barrel extensions for my blasters. I've used the coupler (nesting 9/16 over a 17/32 stub) method but I find that its a little slow and the 9/16 barrels sometimes fly off. I also don't like carrying a bunch of extra barrels around.

I came up with a method for adding a little more barrel to my muzzle-loading blasters without slowing reload times. A 9/16 piece which retracts (via a spring) when loading and automatically slides forward when firing.

I added this to an SM750 I recently found at a local thrift shop:

Posted Image

I added some e-tape around the cpvc for a tight fit.
Posted Image

Posted Image

The spring was an air restrictor from an SM3K (I think)
Posted Image

I had to sand out some of the inner diameter of the orange ring in the blaster chassis.
Posted Image

to be continued (image limits)...

#120703 Couplered Maxshot

Posted by ambushbug on 21 August 2007 - 10:26 PM in Modifications

This is on the main modification page. We don't need this.

Tofu - I'm not sure but I think this is different than Cxwq's mod on the Mod page sticky but I'm I suspect that you (like me) assumed everyone knew/did this anyway. Except (like SHA said) we all cut the barrel down (leaving 5 inches of barrel on is silly - it wastes so much power).

#64640 Post-mod Pics Of Ertl Blowdart Turret

Posted by ambushbug on 29 September 2005 - 10:09 PM in Modifications

in response to a request by another member, here are some pics of a turret I modded from the Ertl Rapid Fire FS 1100 (blow gun). Sorry, the pics were taken when most of it was already asembled.

this is what the original looked like:

ertl fs1100

it has a 5 shot manual turret for megas.

I chopped down the petg chambers to accommodate some buzz bee shells.
Posted Image

I removed the pegs and drilled larger holes in the back of each of the orange shells.
Posted Image

Some electrical tape and hotglue connected the existing PETG, shells and circular turret disc.
Posted Image

I had cut down the front portion of the turret frame a bit because the new chambers (for micros) are shorter than the original (for megas). The central axle (around which the turret rotates) was cut down a bit too - the tip is the screw-in point for the back half.
Posted Image

Here's the back half of the turret frame. Notice I added a custom cut piece of foam sheet (the black stuff) in an attempt to make a tighter seal. I also added some lubricant directly on the foam sheet.
Posted Image

Assembled, it looks like this.
Posted Image

I mounted it as a removable rig (using cpvc coupler) on my max shot.
Posted Image

I have to admit its range isn't as good as single barreled (with buzz bee shell barrel) - only about 35 feet (stock micros). Furthermore, even though the turret has built in notches to align the chamber with the barrel/plunger, proper alignment (on the modded version) isn't as obvious (doesn't click) as in let's say an AT2k so the RoF doesn't really increase substantially from muzzle-loading the single barrel. So why didn't I just use the turret At2k or my Lanard Speed Loader? I don't really know but I'd like to think this was a semi-successful venture. In any case, the turret was originally built for megas and I think their large gauge means it would be pretty easy to nest your own chamber materials inside (e.g. brass/pvc etc.) to allow it to shoot micros without even doing any cutting to the turret - just use e-tape.

#78609 The Tech-turret

Posted by ambushbug on 03 April 2006 - 06:17 PM in Modifications

A little difficult to tell with the pics but looks well done. I assume airseal issues apply? Did you stick some o-rings on (as appropriate)? I once modified an existing turret to use on my most powerful blaster (Max Shot). It wasn't nearly as powerful as I'd have liked - mostly due to air leakage where the barrel stub and turret interfaced.

I've seen a few PVC/CPVC turrets based on a similar idea but yours looks cleaner than most. Well done.

#71371 Nerf Mag

Posted by ambushbug on 20 January 2006 - 11:40 PM in General Nerf

I ment a magazine like code vault :(

I have no idea what you are talking about. I think it would be more effective if you explained EXACTLY what you are asking for.

#65003 Micro Darts

Posted by ambushbug on 04 October 2005 - 01:31 AM in Modifications

although they don't fit exactly like NERF brand darts, Buzz Bee makes foam darts which work well in my nerf guns. At the Wal Marts around where I live (Ontario), you can find these refill packs (16 darts) for $1.97 CAD. Not as cheap as making your own (i.e. stefans) but if you suck at making stefans (like me), definitely better darts than the homemades. I just bought a butt-load of 'em on the weekend. I hope you don't live in my area, because I just might have cleaned out the WalMart of these refill packs.

#78831 Modification Page

Posted by ambushbug on 05 April 2006 - 12:06 AM in General Nerf

Okay this is how it works someone names a gun they want mods for.Then people who know mods for it just post! ;) This should make more space for other threads as well! :o.You can also post a mod at any time if it's new.

Isn't this the idea behind Kirby's (already super successful) mod directory? And it seems like your suggested format would just be more work for people who already have mod write-ups. I think the onus should be on the people who WANT mods to search for it themselves. I doubt guys like Ompa and Renegade are going to have time to reply to every mod "want-ad" that pops up.

If people already have write-ups that don't appear in the directory, presumably, they can easily ask Kirby to add it. And if a write-up doesn't exist yet...... well all the more reason for that person (who wants one) to write one him/herself.

EDIT: damn GP's fast!!!

#123149 Price Updates For Toronto!

Posted by ambushbug on 15 September 2007 - 10:09 PM in General Nerf

thanks - I didn't even know The Bay carried Nerf. I live only about a 15 minute walk from there 'been under my nose the whole time.........

#65154 Performance Problems With Airtech 3k

Posted by ambushbug on 05 October 2005 - 10:42 PM in Modifications

It sounds unlikely that the problem would merely boil down to imperfect stefans. Sure, slight imperfections among stefans can result in varying flight path (e.g. random deviations from straight) but, I mean, if ALL of them are firing off in the same direction, it sounds like a problem that is affecting all stefans in the same way (e.g. airflow). Unless, I suppose, all the stefans are sytematically screwed up in exactly the same way (which doesn't seem to be the case as they are fine in your other blasters).

Sounds like the turret is misaligned causing the airflow to be uneven (e.g stronger on the left/weaker on the right side of any given turret barrel). That's just a guess, though.

#90000 At2k/doubleshot Question

Posted by ambushbug on 18 September 2006 - 10:51 PM in Modifications

I've tried a few different materials for trigger/valve release on a couple of my integrations (e.g. the RFR + AT2k, Wookie Bowcaster + 2k).

I found that the steel wire I used was fine for the RFR mod but not for the Bowcaster mod (where I used a pulley-like system for the trigger) probably because of the extra friction/tension.
My remedy was to use zip ties instead of wire. This worked well - zip ties definitely won't stretch!

So it probably will depend on what your actual mod looks like and how much tension will be acting on your trigger mechanism. I guess some experimentation is in order. And I'd love to see your mod when its done!

#68393 Air Barrel 2000

Posted by ambushbug on 26 November 2005 - 10:22 PM in Modifications

what do you use to pull the trigger/pin? A key ring? What are the advantages over the traditional way that people have integrated the AT2k into the 3B (e.g. barrel in place of the scope).

It looks like the position of the pump handle is quite far forward - does that make it difficult to pump? And what are the ranges?

#74690 Tek X-treme?

Posted by ambushbug on 28 February 2006 - 07:26 PM in General Nerf

the "transforming Tek" has been in every WalMart in the Toronto (Ontario) area since before christmas. I haven't used it but I'm not that optimistic of its potential. I think it was briefly described in a previous post (http://nerfhaven.com...=3869&hl=mech 3)
as looking like a ghetto-version of the N-strike Unity and I'm inclined to agree.

If you buy it and find otherwise, let me know.

#79548 On An Intergration How Do You Make A Trigger?

Posted by ambushbug on 10 April 2006 - 11:18 PM in General Nerf

There are numerous ways. If you're clever, you can make triggers that are more "conventional" in form - e.g. those you press rather than pull. Take a look at most homemades for design ideas. Some integrations have also taken advantage of existing triggers. I'm personally not a fan of the key-rings but, hey, whatever works for you.

In terms of your AT2K + BBB example, there's a front handle on the BBB that's begging for a trigger.

#66844 Alternative Barrel Material

Posted by ambushbug on 30 October 2005 - 10:59 PM in General Nerf

I just discovered that those floral tubes that come with freshly cut flowers (the plastic vials that are used to "feed" the flowers water during transport; in case you have no idea what I'm talking about, see http://www.floralsup...ain_aquapic.htm make decent barrels.

I was looking for a temporary barrel to range test my new 3B and I have a handful of these things around (I store BBs in them). The ones I have are tapered slightly towards the closed end. I simply hacked/sanded off the rounded closed end and a bit off the open end. I jammed the tube into the existing 3B barrel (cut down and air restrictors removed) until the tube got stuck - and voila.

The fit is tighter near the base (and depending on how much you cut off the closed end) but does a reasonable job for both stock darts and my stefans. I imagine a slightly tigher fit all the way through could add a bit more range (i.e. allow the compressed air to build up a split second longer) but he slightly wider front end means its a little easier to load darts.

If you happen to have these lying around, they might be an alternative to the PETG that you usually have to buy from the pet store (at least, that's where I got mine).

#66933 Alternative Barrel Material

Posted by ambushbug on 01 November 2005 - 03:48 PM in General Nerf

Those are generally too short for any kind of "effective" blaster.

I think JTS has a point in that it seems to be limited in its application (I think the longest tubes I've seen are 4"). And the tapered shape may make it difficult to use as a barrel stub (for nesting a longer, wider diameter barrel over it) without good support from surrounding couplers. But 3 - 4" is enough for for some of my muzzle loading blasters (e.g my NF) and for shooting stock darts (where longer barrels are not really an option).

#68611 Key Clip And At2k

Posted by ambushbug on 30 November 2005 - 03:18 AM in Modifications

why not just braid some steel wire (the kind used for hanging picture frames) around the keyring and another end around the orange disc at the end of the AT2k firing pin?

#64427 Buzz Bee Question

Posted by ambushbug on 26 September 2005 - 11:17 PM in General Nerf

Does anyone know anything about the Triple Mech Blaster or the Rapid Fire Rifle by Buzz Bee? I found the Triple Mech Blaster, but no real helpful info (select ammo type or all at once); Can't find the Rapid Fire Rifle at all.

sorry, I don't know anything about the Triple Mech but as for the RFR, I recently posted some pics of the internals (sorry, no mod) in the modifications forum. And as pointed out by Jakethesnake, there's some more talk about this blaster on NHQ. Er- I'm assuming you were asking for info on the RFR - it wasn't totally clear whether you just wanted to know where to buy them.

#92995 Swat 72 2007

Posted by ambushbug on 25 October 2006 - 08:05 PM in Off Topic

never heard of it. But I'd bet you'll find lots of folks at www.snowboard.com who are going (though you're probably already part of the community).

Northstar?