#1 davidbowie

davidbowie

• Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 03:29 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I know the pictures are horrible. Maybe later I'll get some better ones.

As you know, I've been into nerf for a while, but I haven't really done any modding, because I don't have any nerf guns besides dollar store guns and I don't have access to any FBR smaller than 3/4", which is really too big for dollar store guns.

Yesterday, I discovered that packing peanuts (the rod ones) fit very nicely in a crayola, and, when weighted with a single carpet tack, shoot great. These are my temporary stefans, until I can find some proper FBR. I rather like these, though, so I may just end up sticking with them. They're probably cheaper per dart, too.

So, I decided to mod my dollar store gun. It's actually really nice, internals-wise. It's got a fairly strong spring and not a lot of air restriction, and it comes pegless. The way they reduced power in this gun was by shortening the barrel. The stock barrel is about 3/4" long.

The mods that I did to this gun are:

Cut down old barrel, attached 1/2" PVC coupler and barrel:
-nothing much

Crayola turret:
-Since crayolas fit so nicely in PVC, I decided to make a turret operating on this. I cut six crayola barrels, and glued a ring of 1/2" PVC onto the end of each one. I then glued the rings evenly around a piece of 1/2" thinwall PVC, with the barrels inserted. The axle for the turret is a piece of 1/2" copper pipe, glued to the top dart holder.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Cocking string:
-The cocking rod had previously broken off. Luckily, it broke off behind the catch, so the rod is still functional. To fix it, I sanded the end in a cone-oriented shape so it wouldn't hang up on anything, then drilled a hole through it and tied in a string. I used an o-ring for a cocking ring on the back, because, as I learned with the KISS mini, a rigid one can pop up and whip you across the face.

The other cool thing about this setup is that I can make more turrets, and they're interchangeable, simply by taking off the little clip that holds them on, sliding the old one off, and popping in a new one.

Ranges:
I fired one full cylinder and got these:
41'
39'
37'
39'
38'
40'

Not great range, but it's a decent indoor war gun, especially for $1 total cost to me.

Overall, I'm fairly satisfied with this as a first mod.

Anyone have ideas for what to do with my other TTG knockoff?

Edited by davidbowie, 03 April 2006 - 03:43 PM.

Check out the all-new DBNerf. The source for all your DBNeeds.

#2 ambushbug

ambushbug

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 06:17 PM

A little difficult to tell with the pics but looks well done. I assume airseal issues apply? Did you stick some o-rings on (as appropriate)? I once modified an existing turret to use on my most powerful blaster (Max Shot). It wasn't nearly as powerful as I'd have liked - mostly due to air leakage where the barrel stub and turret interfaced.

I've seen a few PVC/CPVC turrets based on a similar idea but yours looks cleaner than most. Well done.

#3 davidbowie

davidbowie

• Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 07:14 PM

Air seal issues aren't huge, but I probably would improve range by sealing it up a bit. This probably isn't clear from the pictures, but this turret moves forward, turns, then moves back in to seal, instead of just rotating. All this is done manually, so it's a bit of a pain, but I don't mind it too much.

#4 davidbowie

davidbowie

• Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 07:47 PM

Sorry to double-post, but I have a clearer picture now, so you can actually tell what the gun looks like.

Posted Image

#5 fobpawwor

fobpawwor

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 08:55 PM

Wow, that is a very good idea for a fast ROF. However, im not such a big fan of the tech target, this mod is great other guns. It will improve the ROF dramatically!
Nice work!

#6 Arcanum

Arcanum

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 09:17 PM

I use to have that thing. I called it the "police pistol" because we always used it in cops and robbers with nerf and the cop got that gun. Pretty friggin good for a knockoff. All I did to it was cut out the air restrictor and it shot stock darts about 40 feet.
Universtiy of Illinois Fighting Illini

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users