MavericK96's Content

There have been 171 items by MavericK96 (Search limited from 11-February 97)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#284608 Nerf Stampede - Voltage Increase / Rof & Firing Tests

Posted by MavericK96 on 02 September 2010 - 04:20 PM in Modifications

Yeah, I've been looking around. Most of these battery packs are only about 1/6 the capacity of a D battery, so I'm wondering how long they will last with extended use in a battle. Can anyone comment on the charge duration of these packs? Or the power draw of the Stampede?

EDIT: I've been looking into it, and I wonder if it wouldn't be easier to just get something like these, plus a charger:

http://www.amazon.co...d_bxgy_e_text_b

About twice the capacity as the max-rated battery pack, and would require no modification to the gun itself.

#284682 Nerf Stampede - Voltage Increase / Rof & Firing Tests

Posted by MavericK96 on 03 September 2010 - 12:53 PM in Modifications

Also, @SGNerf: What kind of battery life are you getting out of those 3.7V 14500's? Seeing as they're only 900 mAh or so.

#284753 Nerf Stampede - Voltage Increase / Rof & Firing Tests

Posted by MavericK96 on 04 September 2010 - 12:53 PM in Modifications

I did some estimates and it worked out to approx. 40 x 18-dart clips worth of darts test fired over the past few days.

Awesome, thanks for that info. I am looking at getting a 9.6v 1600 mAh battery pack, and it looks like that should be plenty.

Also, thanks for the new info regarding voltage. I wonder if it would work well to get a 9.6v pack connected in series with a 7.2v pack, for a total of 16.8v, which is right around your recommendation. I was considering getting another 9.6v pack in series, but that would be closer to 20v and probably too fast for the darts to load reliably.

Have you noticed any heating up of the battery or motor when using 15-16v?

#284597 Nerf Stampede - Voltage Increase / Rof & Firing Tests

Posted by MavericK96 on 02 September 2010 - 02:55 PM in Modifications

Do you think at any point, you would consider attaching a Tamiya large type plug (where the alligator clamps currently are), so that you would be able to use some hobby batteries, which can have very long MAH, and are fully rechargeable?

The batteries are available in just about any size, voltage, and MAH specs you want, for a price of $15-$70, depending on the quality of the battery.

I was thinking about doing this. Seen it done with the Vulcan and it looks like a pretty easy mod. Just need to find some reasonably-priced 9.6v (or whatever the closest to 9V is) packs.

#284620 Nerf Stampede - Voltage Increase / Rof & Firing Tests

Posted by MavericK96 on 02 September 2010 - 05:57 PM in Modifications

So it seems like it might just be a better idea to get two lower-capacity battery packs for the same cost and cycle between them if needed. I wonder if the power draw is really the same for the Stampede as for an Airsoft gun, though. Don't they typically have much smaller plungers?

#302737 Orange Mod Works Kit Reviews

Posted by MavericK96 on 02 August 2011 - 11:59 PM in General Nerf

OMW: Any plans to release a Stampede kit?

#299860 Orange Mod Works Kit Reviews

Posted by MavericK96 on 14 June 2011 - 02:59 PM in General Nerf

I'd like to see a full-metal internal kit for the Stampede. Using voltage mods it seems like there's a lot of stress on those moving parts in there.

#303287 Orange Mod Works Kit Reviews

Posted by MavericK96 on 12 August 2011 - 11:29 PM in General Nerf

Copy pasta'd, not intending to sound like a jerk:
Q. Are you going to make a kit for the _?

A. As of July 2011, kits have been released for or are currently in the works for the following blasters:

Alpha Trooper CS-18
Barricade RV-10
Element EX-6
Firefly REV-8
Longshot CS-6
Longstrike CS-6
Maverick REV-6
Nite Finder EX-3
Raider CS-35
Recon CS-6
Stampede ECS
Vulcan EBF-25

Cool, I didn't see that list. Thanks. ^_^

#303307 Orange Mod Works Kit Reviews

Posted by MavericK96 on 13 August 2011 - 08:56 PM in General Nerf

You guys seem to be avoiding the dart tag guns, any reason for that?

I'm guessing two possibilities:

1) They are still very new and haven't been completely "explored" yet by modders.

2) I have heard that those who have tried to mod them did not have much success because of how complex the internals were.

#303742 Orange Mod Works Kit Reviews

Posted by MavericK96 on 22 August 2011 - 08:01 PM in General Nerf

I thought it was shiny and smooth. This looks rough. And if it is aluminium, I can't see how it could be much heavier then plastic. Maybe shortened streamlines would work better.

I don't see anywhere where it says they use aluminum. It says "metal alloy" and "stainless steel" both places where I can see on the site.

#287782 Nerf Video Directory

Posted by MavericK96 on 01 November 2010 - 07:10 PM in General Nerf

B)-->
QUOTE(Agent Jonny B @ Nov 1 2010, 04:45 PM) View Post

Version 2 of our Humans vs. Zombies Theatrical Trailer (had to slightly alter it, long story):

Enjoy!
[/quote]

Very nice work. :)

It'd be cool to see some follow-up videos on actual missions.

#135334 Nerf Recon Ar Removal

Posted by MavericK96 on 08 January 2008 - 08:19 PM in Modifications

Tried that technique over an electric burner, and also above an open flame (Zippo) with no success. The only thing it did was start to melt the plastic a bit, but the "glue" or whatever didn't loosen one bit.

#277082 N-strike Barrel Break Ix-2

Posted by MavericK96 on 07 June 2010 - 05:20 PM in News

i'm very interested on how you load it!

I would think that it is loaded by breaking the barrel like on the double shot or something like that.

But it looks like it uses the whistler darts, which have a tip larger than the body. So I'm wondering how you rear-load those things as well.

EDIT: At this point, my guess is that you simply break open the barrels and then load the darts into the rear of the gun. The front barrels are likely only for show/some semblance of accuracy. Which really would be fairly pointless, IMO.

#280980 N-strike Barrel Break Ix-2

Posted by MavericK96 on 22 July 2010 - 04:01 PM in News

Maybe it's just me, but I don't care about watching someone "unbox" a product for 2+ minutes before actually doing anything with it. Should just skip to the actual workings of the blaster.

Also, nerfidda, that same video was already posted almost a month ago, and in fact is only 7 posts above yours.

#171172 Splitlip's Vulcan Overhaul

Posted by MavericK96 on 21 August 2008 - 01:03 AM in Modifications

Looks awesome, but does the mag actually feed and fire properly? We haven't seen that in a video yet... ;)

#277109 N-strike Barrel Break Ix-2

Posted by MavericK96 on 07 June 2010 - 08:48 PM in News

Thats what I think, so we we could just unscrew the hinge CPVC it and use it like that.

Yep, it'd be pretty cool as just a two-shot front-loading blaster, if the range was decent (or able to be modded to be decent).

#283604 Nerf Stampede - Reviews & Internals Guide

Posted by MavericK96 on 20 August 2010 - 02:07 PM in General Nerf

Didn't see this posted yet.

http://www.crunchgea...tampede-ecs-50/

#281539 Nerf Stampede - Reviews & Internals Guide

Posted by MavericK96 on 28 July 2010 - 09:27 PM in General Nerf

I'm thinking that without replacing the gear mechanisms/motor with stronger ones, a stronger spring would probably cause the gun to malfunction and potentially break. I guess it all depends on how much strength the motor and gears really have beyond how they are normally used.

#283675 Nerf Stampede - Reviews & Internals Guide

Posted by MavericK96 on 21 August 2010 - 02:34 PM in General Nerf

Yeah, I watched the video shortly after posting. Pretty sad, but fun to see more footage of it "in the wild," I suppose.

#285241 Nerf Stampede - Reviews & Internals Guide

Posted by MavericK96 on 10 September 2010 - 04:51 PM in General Nerf

Hey quick question, sorry if this has been said before, anyone know the size of the stampede sheild vs the manta ray?

It is exactly one foot (12") wide and, at it's longest point, 9.5" tall. The actual height from the rail to the top of the shield, though, is 4.5".

#281528 Nerf Stampede - Reviews & Internals Guide

Posted by MavericK96 on 28 July 2010 - 08:16 PM in General Nerf

Sooo...People have this thing. How long until we see some mods? Or at least an AR removal with new ranges?

#276780 N-strike Spectre Rev-5

Posted by MavericK96 on 04 June 2010 - 03:43 AM in News

Here's to hoping it has decent ranges. Otherwise, like everyone else has said, no point.

My guess is it's meant to eventually replace the Maverick.

#282124 N-strike Spectre Rev-5

Posted by MavericK96 on 04 August 2010 - 05:04 PM in News

Well, the very concept of how a silencer actually works should clue you in to the fact that this one does nothing.

#281330 N-strike Spectre Rev-5

Posted by MavericK96 on 26 July 2010 - 11:09 PM in News

Does the silencer actually work? From what I've read, it just "looks" like a silencer...

Lol, what kind of a question is that? Of course it doesn't.

#284864 New Shields?

Posted by MavericK96 on 05 September 2010 - 04:05 PM in General Nerf

Honestly, the Stampede shield is pretty stupid and not really large enough to protect you at all. I guess if you were down to using a sidearm you could shove it on there and try to move it around to protect yourself, but on the Stampede itself it's not like you're going to be able to flail the gun around to position the shield where you need it to be.

Also, on a sidearm, it would look retarded.

#251932 Puget Sound Nerf War

Posted by MavericK96 on 28 September 2009 - 04:22 AM in Nerf Wars

Not sure I can make this, but it sounds awesome. Glad to see there are some other Nerf enthusiasts in the greater Seattle metropolitan area. B)

#284871 New Shields?

Posted by MavericK96 on 05 September 2010 - 05:23 PM in General Nerf

Honestly, the Stampede shield is pretty stupid and not really large enough to protect you at all. I guess if you were down to using a sidearm you could shove it on there and try to move it around to protect yourself, but on the Stampede itself it's not like you're going to be able to flail the gun around to position the shield where you need it to be.

Also, on a sidearm, it would look retarded.

How big is it and whats the size difference between it and the Manta? Also what about the Stonewall shield? Its a pretty decent size.

I don't have a Manta so I can't comment on that, but the Stampede shield is probably a little less than a foot across and maybe 6-8 inches high, if that.

#285087 New Shields?

Posted by MavericK96 on 08 September 2010 - 02:18 PM in General Nerf

I do see a question of consistency if gun hits are allowed along with the Stampede shield. Probably be hard to determine what exactly got hit.

#292411 Nerf Barricade - Mod Guide!

Posted by MavericK96 on 08 January 2011 - 01:00 AM in Modifications

If any real electronics experts out there can elaborate further on how the safety feature works, it would be helpful to us all. :)

If someone took a close-up detailed picture of the PCB I might be able to figure it out. B)

#291586 Nerf Barricade - Mod Guide!

Posted by MavericK96 on 26 December 2010 - 05:52 PM in Modifications

Batteries in parallel is not a super-great idea. If you are going to do it, though, make sure they are *identical* (and I do mean identical). Also, make sure they are at the same charge level.

And like SGNerf said, using 9-volt batteries isn't a good idea for this application because they have really low capacity, especially in a relatively high-current situation like this.

#292345 Nerf Barricade - Mod Guide!

Posted by MavericK96 on 06 January 2011 - 06:49 PM in Modifications

Does anyone know where to source those AAA to AA adapters for making the "empty" battery cells? The ones on DealExtreme look like they don't have a bottom piece (making them worthless for this applications) and they're out of stock anyway. I haven't been able to find ones like SGNerf uses online anywhere.

If I can't find any, I guess the only option is to find a bolt/wire to jam/solder in between the contacts in the gun itself with no casing.

I just bought a few of them... let me see if I can dredge up a location... I'll edit this post once I get the name of the company.

EDIT: I found the source: Click Here (2 Pack for 2.26 USD)

UPDATE:

So, after I ordered these (at least a couple weeks ago, in fact), I never heard anything until I finally got them today. And as it turns out, they are NOT the enclosed type with the spring that are shown in the picture, but rather the same as the ones DealExtreme makes (with no spring and simply an open bottom for the negative terminal). Obviously these don't work for the Barricade, so I'm kind of upset. I'll email the company, as you must have gotten the correct ones (I assume anyway) and they gave me the others.

#290116 Nerf Barricade - Mod Guide!

Posted by MavericK96 on 05 December 2010 - 03:01 AM in Modifications

I would just use a piece of wire and etape.

I don't know much about electonics, but would using two unprotected and one standard battery just lower the voltage or bring it up to 9.9v? SGnerf said that 12.6 was too much and the motors didn't work, and this might be the happy medium.

You typically don't want to mix battery types and voltages.

#290071 Nerf Barricade - Mod Guide!

Posted by MavericK96 on 04 December 2010 - 08:00 PM in Modifications

Does anyone know where to source those AAA to AA adapters for making the "empty" battery cells? The ones on DealExtreme look like they don't have a bottom piece (making them worthless for this applications) and they're out of stock anyway. I haven't been able to find ones like SGNerf uses online anywhere.

If I can't find any, I guess the only option is to find a bolt/wire to jam/solder in between the contacts in the gun itself with no casing.

I just bought a few of them... let me see if I can dredge up a location... I'll edit this post once I get the name of the company.

EDIT: I found the source: Click Here (2 Pack for 2.26 USD)

Excellent, just what I needed. Thanks. Free shipping, too!

#290022 Nerf Barricade - Mod Guide!

Posted by MavericK96 on 04 December 2010 - 01:34 PM in Modifications

#281888 Is The Nerf Tactical Vest Worth The $30?

Posted by MavericK96 on 02 August 2010 - 07:30 PM in General Nerf

I'd like to know how big this thing is, measurement-wise. Like, is it only made to fit 10-year-old kids, or can it be adjusted for decent-sized young adults?

#135696 Adding Another Spring To The Recon

Posted by MavericK96 on 12 January 2008 - 08:16 AM in Modifications

*cool mod stuff*

Thoughts?

I really like this design, primarily because it seems like you could easily remove the stock if you wanted to use the gun without it. I also like the idea that adding the stock adds range, making it more beneficial to convert the gun to the "rifle" configuration. Makes sense that the "rifle" should have more range than the "pistol". B)

Anyway, nice work. I do see your concern with the stock's locking mechanism, though, since it's just a tiny piece of plastic, but maybe if it was replaced with metal or something it would be stronger.

#285111 Is The Nerf Tactical Vest Worth The $30?

Posted by MavericK96 on 08 September 2010 - 07:34 PM in General Nerf

The clear mags only seem like they would be useful if you had a Clear series blaster. Otherwise, most of the mag is up inside the blaster and you can't see the dart count anyway.

Might be cool for the 18-round extended mags, though.

#304087 New Nerf Series!

Posted by MavericK96 on 30 August 2011 - 05:51 PM in General Nerf

These seem pretty cool (nice ranges), but the accuracy is the only problem I can see. Seems like the discs fly pretty randomly even with no wind, and WITH wind...they just go nuts.

Might pick one up just to mess around with, though. Seems like fun.

#275174 N-strike Alpha Trooper Cs-18

Posted by MavericK96 on 18 May 2010 - 02:15 PM in General Nerf

I assume "rapid-fire" in this case means the same as it did for the Raider, where you push-pull the charging handle while holding the trigger in order to fire. So basically just a smaller-drummed Raider?

#277036 N-strike Alpha Trooper Cs-18

Posted by MavericK96 on 07 June 2010 - 01:54 AM in General Nerf

Posted Image

http://nerfhaven.com...showtopic=19634