z80's Content

There have been 578 items by z80 (Search limited from 18-January 97)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#259822 Heavyweight Mod

Posted by z80 on 26 December 2009 - 03:33 PM in Modifications

Has anyone tried using Styrofoam? It can be shaped by packing and squeezing. Packing Peanuts?

Um, both those materials are incredibly light? Thats kinda the point of the mod?

#259821 Battle For New York 4

Posted by z80 on 26 December 2009 - 03:31 PM in Nerf Wars

Guys one week away. Should be amazing. I need to start fixing and modding myself...

#259243 March Meltdown 2010

Posted by z80 on 17 December 2009 - 02:47 PM in Nerf Wars

HA
HAHAHA
I'm the only one who actually uses megas! This is great!
I'll try to make it down, any easy way to get down there by train? Im in jersey now, hoboken specifically.

#259062 Any Nerfers Live In New Paltz Or Neer There

Posted by z80 on 15 December 2009 - 01:47 PM in Modifications

I'm around an hour and a half from New Paltz, NY, according to Google Maps. The Battle for NY is probably close to your hometown, if you're looking for a war.

Word.
Also, you could talk to one of my friends at the war. He goes to New Paltz and runs a nerf club there.

#259043 Battle For New York 4

Posted by z80 on 15 December 2009 - 02:02 AM in Nerf Wars

Foam weapons sounds fun! I gotta get me one.

How many darts do you think we should bring?

Significantly more than a normal war. Figure that out accordingly.

#259006 Battle For New York 4

Posted by z80 on 14 December 2009 - 08:50 PM in Nerf Wars

I Just wanted to ask, but, my friend who may be able to go was asking if he can use nerf foam swoards and a modded nitefinder at the war?

I'll say yes, unless anyone attending the war says no? But yeah, that would be fine with me and my group.

#257939 Battle For New York 4

Posted by z80 on 03 December 2009 - 09:31 PM in Nerf Wars

The dart recovery is a bit low, but not impossible. We try to dart sweep a lot, and to pick up darts as we go. But a lot will be lost.
In terms of what gun to bring, the terrain allows you to really use almost anything depending on how you play and what game it is. Some parts allow you to shoot down on capture points, while some parts require storming over hills and logs. All depends on the area of the field.

#257869 Battle For New York 4

Posted by z80 on 02 December 2009 - 10:50 PM in Nerf Wars

I'm in, and there is a chance of another with me.
Hmmmm January 2.. Does that mean there is a chance of battle field conditions again?

Maybe. Always love me some good old battlefeild conditions.
I'll modify the first post with guest list.

#257776 Battle For New York 4

Posted by z80 on 01 December 2009 - 11:24 PM in Nerf Wars

Where: Saxon Woods, Mamaroneck, NY. Here are the directions.
When: January 2nd, 10 oclock till 4 or so.
What: Nerf war of course! Standard team deathmatch 3:15, Gunslinger haven, Outpost, maybe some CTF.
Some things to know-
Bring good shoes. The area has lots of rocks, logs, etc. Have good ankle support.
Bring lunch. Its annoying to get food because of the walk to the field. Also water, as we wont be able to really leave till after the war, and there are no bathrooms/water fountains etc.
Also pack light. The field is a decent distance from the parking lot.
I'm going to get people from my group to come, as most people are back from college. So just post if you're gonna come.
Definately-
z80+6-8 people or so.
Jatdo+maybe 1 other.
Lucian
Faddle+1
Skitzo

Maybe-
DX
White Moonlight
diamondbacknf
cheesypiza
silencer
zackthemack
Alextwin007

#257184 Dart Weight Regulations/range Testing

Posted by z80 on 24 November 2009 - 02:20 PM in Darts and Barrels

Yeah those goggles are pretty much indestructable. Havent had one so much as crack on me. I actually wear em sometimes, and I have a big assed head.

#256820 Dart Weight Regulations/range Testing

Posted by z80 on 19 November 2009 - 07:00 PM in Darts and Barrels

Also if we're trying to make darts not go as far and hurt less, why don't we just all use megas? They don't go as far and have higher surface area.

Megas can't be used in many turrets. Besides, everyone's blasters are already fitted with micro-shooting barrels. To force everyone to change that is an unworkable solution.

Tru dat. I'm really the only one that still uses megas.

#256815 Dart Weight Regulations/range Testing

Posted by z80 on 19 November 2009 - 06:30 PM in Darts and Barrels

Ban slingshot ammo? What are you, insane? I see what you're trying to do, but instituting a hard to police rule just because guns are shooting too far is a bit ridiculous.

Also, I would make slug darts if they didn't fall apart like motherfuckers. Like every game I've been to, I'll pick up slug darts, and the foam will have fallen off, making it impossible for me to use.

Yeah, it's super hard to police whether or not the darts have felt or hot glue tips. It's not like it takes significant effort to figure out which is which. Unless you're implying that people can add weights under the washer and felt, which I have seen people do, it really is not hard to check. I'd like to think I can trust the people I work with.

I meant police weight bans, not bans on glue based darts in general. Obviously banning all glue based darts would be possible, but I believe would be overkill.
Also if we're trying to make darts not go as far and hurt less, why don't we just all use megas? They don't go as far and have higher surface area.

#256780 Dart Weight Regulations/range Testing

Posted by z80 on 19 November 2009 - 01:39 PM in Darts and Barrels

Ban slingshot ammo? What are you, insane? I see what you're trying to do, but instituting a hard to police rule just because guns are shooting too far is a bit ridiculous. Also, I would make slug darts if they didn't fall apart like motherfuckers. Like every game I've been to, I'll pick up slug darts, and the foam will have fallen off, making it impossible for me to use. I really don't like that. So I just try to avoid them all together.
Also, if you're worry about people getting hurt, you really need to stop worrying about dart weights, and worry about dart quality. That's where I've seen many dangerous situations and darts. People who think they can crank out shitty darts and fire them through airguns. The darts fracture and shit hits the fan. In that respect, slingshot ammo reduces problems, as its one central weight, rather than kids daisy chaining BB's or other weights, creating dangerous uneven weights with little surface area to the foam.
Also, feel free to correct me, but I don't beleive there are any slug CDTD's, while slingshot ammo are perfect weights.
Also, can we get some weights for the tips and such? I would be curious to see the distances between a slug dart and a traditional stefan with the same weights.

#256623 A Declaration To My Fellow Nerfers

Posted by z80 on 17 November 2009 - 07:54 PM in Articles

Is this your retirement from Nerf essay?

We can only hope.

#255932 Mforcer, Wanna See My Red Rocket?

Posted by z80 on 10 November 2009 - 11:38 PM in Modifications

I have a question. You say the gun has a bigger tank than the titan, although it seems that the whole gun is approximately the same size, maybe a bit wider but seems shorter and also I would think there are some internals for the rotating mech and pump. So is the tank really that big, or was it just a small exaggeration.
Im curious to see the valve and such, and whether anyone can increase the power of it.

#255885 Mforcer, Wanna See My Red Rocket?

Posted by z80 on 10 November 2009 - 03:21 PM in Modifications

Yeah you kinda explained absolutely nothing in your post, it would help to show if could even pump it now.

#254953 Jlego's Hybrid Breech System (somewhat Picture Heavy)

Posted by z80 on 30 October 2009 - 05:01 PM in Darts and Barrels

Bro you are fucking magical. I agree on the robotic appendage, its the only solution.

#254676 34th Light Combat Battalion Recruiting

Posted by z80 on 27 October 2009 - 09:35 AM in General Nerf

Tactics are rarely followed to the letter, and if the Rangers taught me anything, improvisation is key.
I have left the terms somewhat open so that adjustments can be made in adaption to lower velocity weapons and the like.

Look guys, I'm trying to make things as smooth as possible in my transiton from combat to milsim, so forgive me if some of this may seem overkill or just plain dumb.

Since when does improvisation mean do everything completely different than you said it? Why would you even say that tactic if it isnt useful? It doesn't matter how smooth your transition is, if you're using incorrect strategies and you have no idea what you're doing. Just curious, how many nerf wars have you been to (not implying anything, just curious)

#254642 34th Light Combat Battalion Recruiting

Posted by z80 on 26 October 2009 - 08:41 PM in General Nerf

Yes, I mentioned in the first post about finding appropriate cover or concealment(preferably, the first.)

One of the things I will be teaching is bounding, which goes something like this:

Let's say two players are moving in a team towards a treeline to flank a hole or a loser. when the two enter into the treeline, Player A will move 5 meters or so to the left or right of player B and find cover, for instance, a tree. Player B spots a Vulcan dug in about 30 meters ahead. Player A will signal B to move up. Player B will move up to the next available cover while Player A provides covering fire. when Player B is set, He will signal Player A to move up past him, whilst providing him with covering fire. Repeat until you are in a good offensive position to push on towards the objective.

Also, thank you goongala, for actually understanding what I'm trying to do here.

Or you can make it so you don't waste darts or time by just shooting the fucking vulcan, or going around. Thats the problem with using milsim strategies. ROF and range come into play much more than other games/real life. Like in your example, you could say "covering fire" but then you have to consider someone using something like a maxshot or airtech that has to reload. You lose the "covering fire" aspect of it and the gunner can also just dodge the darts or shoot the person not under cover. Also, you can shoot further than the encampment. Also I have never seen a vulcan used seriously in a war, nor have I ever seen an encampment.
I would agree on training for nerf. Could be very helpful. But use tactics that make sense. Not some thrown together milsim stew of random squad tactics that aren't really thought out.
Nerf is all angles, probability and ranges. Take advantage of those and you will own.

#251381 Gluing Plastic To Neodymium Metal Magnets

Posted by z80 on 23 September 2009 - 10:04 AM in Modifications

I'm currently working on a project involving some of my guns using very strong magnets. The best way to attach the magnets to the guns is probably some kind of glue, but I'm not sure which one to use. I tried hot glue but the magnets are too strong and they just peel off the glue, leaving the glue on the guns. These magents are really strong for their size.

Do you guys have any tips on what I should use? I have some two part epoxy called araldite and I wonder if that would do the trick. I could go down to the hardware store and ask for suggestions but I'm thinking you guys would probably know more than some random guy who knows nothing about modding.

The only other option I can think of is drilling holes into the gun and looping wire around the magnets, but this seems extreme. I'm hoping some really strong glue is the best solution.

One thing me and my friend did was glue the magnets with hot glue and then putting duct tape over the whole thing.

#239986 Nj Apocalypse #8

Posted by z80 on 03 July 2009 - 04:38 PM in Nerf Wars

Oh, and if you find the guy who first modded the 5k or the titan, feel free to make that argument. Otherwise, shut up. The only person that's gonna make this decision is Kuhlshrank. Anyway, back to the war. Stu

Does this mean I can use the national geographic gun?

#238487 Ddt.........s

Posted by z80 on 24 June 2009 - 11:53 PM in Nerf Wars

I am not going, I should have written this earlier.

#236408 Sof-schenectady, Ny

Posted by z80 on 15 June 2009 - 11:22 AM in Nerf Wars

So far numbers are much smaller than I thought. I was under the impression that Nightshift would be coming up too. Can anyone confirm/deny that?

I think its gonna be a no for us, 3 days in a four day period is a little much for people with jobs and its much farther than the other NJ ones.

#230592 Ddt.........s

Posted by z80 on 16 May 2009 - 02:15 PM in Nerf Wars

Round #1: Take your Turf

Or... Outpost? (Catchier name...)

http://nerfhaven.com...ndpost&p=159860

Yeah, this'll be a hit. I'd suspect that the capture method might be a little too complicated (in our experience, the easier to capture, the more interesting to game can be) but I guess we'll find that out won't we?

EDIT: OH, WAIT. I didn't completely understand that this was one game. This is very ambitious, pretty interesting, and waaaaayyy too complicated.

#230522 Ddt.........s

Posted by z80 on 16 May 2009 - 08:27 AM in Nerf Wars

I actually prefer to be mixed up, I have alot more fun playing with people I don't know, and meeting new people. Isn't that what nerf is all about?

EDIT:
Vacc Says: that's fine if it's your preference.

#230520 Nj Apocalypse #8

Posted by z80 on 16 May 2009 - 08:25 AM in Nerf Wars

Im so ready. Bringing probably like 5-8 people, we'll see closer to the event.

#228431 Ddt.........s

Posted by z80 on 05 May 2009 - 09:27 PM in Nerf Wars

Im very down, should hopefully have two to three in tow.

#224783 Rc Nerf Tank, Via Instructables.com

Posted by z80 on 21 April 2009 - 04:42 PM in General Nerf

Basically, the fact that it has a built in soundsystem makes it awesome in my point of veiw. Any Nerf tank that can blast DOTA in the feild is the tank I would like to see.

#222955 Best Stock Gun Available?

Posted by z80 on 11 April 2009 - 07:53 AM in General Nerf

DTB. Decent range, great ROF, just a very balanced gun.
That or a magstrike. The thing has great range stock for a rapid fire gun, and good reloading time.

#222954 Battle For New York Iii

Posted by z80 on 11 April 2009 - 07:49 AM in Nerf Wars

Sounds good! :)
My mom descided that she's going to walk my dag around the park while we are there, but she is probaly going to leave after a bit.

Perfect, there are always dogwalkers there, she picked a good spot.
And we are still having the game through rain. Battlefeild conditions as we like to say.

#221772 Battle For New York Iii

Posted by z80 on 05 April 2009 - 10:22 AM in Nerf Wars

As for supervision, there wont be parents there for us. We are all 18 or 17 pretty much. If your parents want to contact or talk with us (which is understandable, its a foreign concept to most people for the first war) they can call or email me. PM me if you need either of those.
Also, the turnout should be pretty good, I'm gonna be bringing a solid amount of people (like 6-7) from my own group, so it should be fun.

#218835 Nerfing @ Schools

Posted by z80 on 19 March 2009 - 07:47 PM in Nerf Wars

When we played, we were only kicked out if it was night. Happened like three times over three years.

#218597 Battle For New York Iii

Posted by z80 on 18 March 2009 - 10:01 AM in Nerf Wars

I really wish someone could host one in the city T_T
But I'll ask my friend if he could give me a lift.

You know that the train ride is absurdly short and there's a train station right nearby. So just take metronorth down. Where are you in the city?
Also it is BFNY III. I made a typo.

#218269 Battle For New York Iii

Posted by z80 on 16 March 2009 - 03:36 PM in Nerf Wars

Battle for New York III: The revenge of the Bees
When: Saturday April 11th, 10:00
Where: Saxon Woods Park. Great location, tons of cover, cool terrain, lots of veriaty and easy access from highways. Google Maps
In terms of rules, their are the basic restriction of singled titans and excessive homemades. We'll be the judge.

Planned games:
3-15 (classic)
Gunslinger's Heaven
Zombies
Outpost (our standard at that feild, its perfect for the location)

Bring lots of water, lunch, bugspray, nerfguns (pistol for gunslinger, and a pistol or stock gun for zombies), LOTS of darts (you'll lose a lot at this feild) and remamber to pack light, theres a decent walk to the feild.

I will hopefully be able to get a fair amount of people from my own group to come, which should make for a great war.

#216631 March Meltdown

Posted by z80 on 06 March 2009 - 02:23 PM in Nerf Wars

I also agree with rambo on the no headshot rule. Its a somewhat unneccessary rule in a game with this much randomness and inconsistency. Also the fact that shooting from cover could become rediculous due to the fact that people could not be hit or shot at. Its your war, and you have the final say, but the fact that this is the only war I've ever heard of doing this might say that your audience might have a better time without this rule.

#216280 March Meltdown

Posted by z80 on 04 March 2009 - 03:42 PM in Nerf Wars

All I can say is battlefeild conditions. One of the Effeminate games we always recall is one we played in a blizzard. An eight person game of CTF. Amazing,

#214539 March Meltdown

Posted by z80 on 23 February 2009 - 09:18 PM in Nerf Wars

Im not sure on how many people we are bringing. As many as eight or so, as low as four or five. Just thought I would throw that out there.

#213695 I Want Info On The Roto-rocket

Posted by z80 on 20 February 2009 - 11:10 AM in General Nerf

Definately recomend the gun. It will shoot anything you put at it, and will decimate certain darts, Megas are almost a requirement. I recomend adding a handle to where the barrel is. You can get them for like $20 at target, its definately worth it for a gun that powerful.

#209313 Clash Of The Coasts!

Posted by z80 on 03 February 2009 - 07:43 PM in Nerf Wars

I realized there is zero chance I can come, or two of my other prospective clan mates, cause I have aplay and need to set up for a party. So no go for our group.

#208682 Season Of Foam Trip Map

Posted by z80 on 01 February 2009 - 04:38 PM in Nerf Wars

The Schenectady war is going to be Effeminate. Wardog clan(us) is at least 5 people, possibly 8 or 10, plus your contingent, plus TNL, plus the SOF-T 5. We never get that many people. I am soo excited.

analogkid: 5 of my clan members may come too. This is going to be upstate NYs first Effeminate war.
SoF:Can we use converted paintball guns like the pistol splat?

Don't forget a few people from nightshift, maybe like five? Depends on peoples summer plans.

Mostly college for us. I dunno about other people.