Rc Nerf Tank, Via Instructables.com

I thought this was interesting.

12 replies to this topic

#1 Axelion burnout

Axelion burnout

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 03:51 AM

In case any of you aren't frequent visitors of Instructables.com a new featured "ible" is an RC Nerf Tank that someone made. I thought the community would find it interesting, although it is hardly practical in any war.

Linky

Edited by Axelion_burnout, 20 April 2009 - 03:52 AM.

\,,/(^_^)\,,/

#2 PointBlank

PointBlank

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 06:06 AM

Not sure why it needs that much armor but hey, it loos awesome. Too bad they didn't angle the Vulcan more =/ thanks for the find.
You can agree with me.... or you can be wrong.

My Latest Mods
The Cyclops
Pointblank Titan

#3 Renegademilitia15

Renegademilitia15

• Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 09:34 AM

Dang, thats pretty awesome. Too bad he couldn't put a vertical servo to make the vulcan go up and down.
Singled RFS
FA_24's response to Ice's back pain thread:

I used to have that problem until I got circumcised. 15 pounds later I was able to stand up straight.

#4 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 11:52 AM

I have to say, he solved every problem the construction faced in the dumbest way possible. Instead of just rewiring the trigger to a relay, he had an entire servos system to pull the physical trigger. Same thing for the (ridiculous) laser pointer! And instead of just using the tripod to make it removable, he used a getup of magnets. Guess you don't have to worry about efficiency when you're on a near infinite budget.
Teehee.

#5 balisticjoe

balisticjoe

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 12:30 PM

So, I'm not the only one that also goes on instructables. I thought it was kind of neat. Someone should tell KBarker about this-he builds fighting robots. Thought this might also strike your fancy.
http://www.instructa...m/id/Nerf_Guns/
There Are No Stupid Questions, But There Are A Lot Of Inquisitive Idiots.

#6 durka durka

durka durka

• Members
  • 364 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 03:46 PM

I have to say, he solved every problem the construction faced in the dumbest way possible. Instead of just rewiring the trigger to a relay, he had an entire servos system to pull the physical trigger. Same thing for the (ridiculous) laser pointer! And instead of just using the tripod to make it removable, he used a getup of magnets. Guess you don't have to worry about efficiency when you're on a near infinite budget.

They could have saved time and money by thinking things through first. I guess that a huge budget removes the need to plan ahead or use intelligence.

The car is pretty cool, although I think the vulcan looks oversized. Adapting the car to use tank treads might give the car more off-road capabilities and make it more applicable to nerf wars.
"The warrior who cultivates his mind polishes his arms"

#7 z80

z80

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 04:42 PM

Basically, the fact that it has a built in soundsystem makes it awesome in my point of veiw. Any Nerf tank that can blast DOTA in the feild is the tank I would like to see.

#8 nerfdude123

nerfdude123

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 07:52 PM

Thats pretty sweet. How far do you think the range on the RC is?
I liked how you called me big meany head. I'll use that one next time Vacc calls me a faggot.

~ Talio

#9 Rumblerobotics

Rumblerobotics

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 06:17 PM

Tough critics here :D

I'll go into some details here...

Firstly I had to rush thing to get it done in time, so it was designed and built in about 2 weeks.

@ Point blank, it does have way too much armor, but the 0.1" aluminum is what I had so that's what I used.

@ Splitlip, I stand by my servo activation for the trigger. You still need an input for a relay (like a servo pcb) and you need to run wires into the gun. I admitted the laser sight was poor in the instructable, but it still works reliably. The tripod would be brutal to use. You would need to have a pair of motors working *together* to keep it steady and aim it, not to mention mounting the legs. As for the infinite budget, I spent about $150 on parts, the majority being the camera system. Everything else was parts I already had (from 7 years saving up and building battlebots) or parts borrowed from other projects temporarily.

@ nerfdude, The tank uses a model airplane radio so the range is about as far as you can see BUT the camera range is only about 75ft max. I could have got a system that would do half a mile but it cost 4 times as much.

#10 spartan062

spartan062

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 06:40 PM

The only MAJOR drawback I see is that you cannot aim up and down. Or being able to change the elevation of the gun.
Join the Revolution- NerfRevolution.com

#11 Rumblerobotics

Rumblerobotics

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 07:17 PM

I tried tilting the turret with a pair of car door lock actuators but they didnt have the torque. My next idea was to lift the entire front of the tank up with another one of the drive motors, but even at 48v it could only lift an inch or 2 before the motor stalled. I need a beefy linear actuator or something.

#12 DflyDen

DflyDen

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 03:16 PM

( I didn't want risk getting in trouble by starting a new thread, so I'll add this here :) )

Here's my kids and friends, version of the Nerf Tank. Their friend's Dad help build. I think it is great!

Nerf Tank: Codename Buttercup

Enjoy.
"The gods that smiled when you were born, are laughing now" - My favorite fortune cookie saying. I really got this.

#13 Lt Stefan

Lt Stefan

• Members
  • 892 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 06:14 PM

You should mount a Vulcan on top, like the first one. I want to do something like that to my friends go-cart.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users