DX-Robert's Content

There have been 575 items by DX-Robert (Search limited from 19-February 97)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#320319 NJW9; A post-Apocalyptic war

Posted by DX-Robert on 10 August 2012 - 10:48 PM in Nerf Wars

Does anyone have 1/2" sch 80 PVC? I need to get 2-3 feet of it.

#320134 NJW9; A post-Apocalyptic war

Posted by DX-Robert on 08 August 2012 - 09:07 AM in Nerf Wars

I still have an unused pack of 500 #8 washers if you want it for $5.

#320432 NJW9; A post-Apocalyptic war

Posted by DX-Robert on 13 August 2012 - 10:50 PM in Nerf Wars

Not blaming anyone in particular, just trying to raise awareness for the future that when you have to drive the distance to every war, you come to rely heavily on what people say their status is. I always try to make it work even when it is a bust, like with LINO and one of Echnalaid's Jersey wars. That LINO was notable because it involved a bike, a train, a ferry, and a 1 hour, 15 minute walk navigating using only the shapes of streets and it ended up being a 4 person turnout. Echna's involved a train, a walk, light rail, a train, and a ride and was low turnout and I was the oldest player by like 10 years, so awkward. It would just save a lot of time and effort and money knowing the turnout more accurately in advance.

Oh I had fun after the war alright, but that's a story for another day...

#320408 NJW9; A post-Apocalyptic war

Posted by DX-Robert on 13 August 2012 - 12:11 PM in Nerf Wars

Winning every round isn't much fun when it's like that, casually walking to advance and watching a dozen angled potshots fall 50ft+ in front of you. I did not get hit in the entire war. I'm actually considering that a lowlight because it was not due to skill, but the lack of competitiveness of the war. There is some physical minimum threshold that wasn't met in order for that to happen. We made the best of what we had, but it was pretty much a bust. $38 bucks for 4v4, only 3 tall enough to pass the height check at 6 Flags. Luckily it was only a 2 hour drive with virtually no traffic. Lucian and I did make the trip worthwhile afterward and I got a CPS 1200 at the war.

It's not a big deal when it's just North Brunswick, but for anything further away, especially PA, if you post that you're going to a war, please show up or tell us that you have to cancel (before the war). If there's any doubt, just post maybe or probably (and it would be nice if you choose one way or the other the night before). It would also be much appreciated if war hosts return to posting the attendance list in the first post so it's easy to tell who is definitely supposed to show up and who might come. When every war is a 3-5 state drive, every bust hurts.

#317464 OOTWW

Posted by DX-Robert on 24 June 2012 - 12:40 AM in Homemades

I also have to ask how this is actually an improvement over a conventional hopper. I see what it intends to improve upon, but takes arguably unnecessary effort to get there, while not actually solving one of the root problems with hoppers.

If the hopper is in the way, angle it. If the blaster uses a pump sheath, cut the opening for the hopper at an angle. Or, just angle the gun when you fire it. Using clear PVC also helps there, it's surprisingly out of the way even with a hopper angled straight up. If you're not using clear, you're also either wasting effort keeping track of shots remaining, or are good enough to judge based on sound. It's not the greatest idea to use opaque PVC unless you really know what you're doing.

I agree with Bchamp22795 in that the conventional hopper misfeed/double feed rate, above a certain temperature threshold, is less than 1%. It can be 0 in some wars. If you stand still in one place and empty your hopper, taking the time to aim, again above a certain temperature, with quality darts, it will not misfeed. You might be able to take hundreds of shots without one, have done it at a few NJNOs before, 2 whole wars with 0 misfeeds or double feeds. However, not every dart is going to be perfect and sometimes you have to empty your hopper rapidly. Rapidly firing and not letting a dart seat itself contributes to more misfeeds than anything else I've seen. Or, if you're like me, you tend to shoot while in motion / moving the barrel around to target multiple people, and that can unseat the next dart, causing a misfeed. A 10% chance of misfeeding the last dart is too high. That last dart tends to be rather important, especially when you're being pressed and don't have a chance to reload. You want to know that dart will fire.

So basically, this conduit solution doesn't do much about the user, and how the user shoots the blaster affects misfeeds far more than the material itself. It seems like a single stick of PVC and a cap/valve produces the best results for the least amount of effort. I'm just not seeing the benefit with a conduit.

#69727 Open Letter To New Members And Admins

Posted by DX-Robert on 22 December 2005 - 10:08 PM in General Nerf

I've been and/or still am a member at over 14 super soaker forums and 5 other, general forums, and NH is very unique in comparison. Here, n00bs are a severe problem, while at other places the issue is almost a moot point or even non-existent. One thing I have noticed at NH is that when some n00b posts something stupid, other members tend to initiate a flame war. That causes the new person to reciprocate and suddenly it gets out of control. The interaction with "Koolsteve" earlier in this topic is nearly a case study of what I'm talking about!

The better, more effective way of handling a new member whom is full of himself/herself is to totally ignore their comments and even their existence if necessary. Let a moderator ban their ass silently, rather than bringing attention to the matter, which will 99.9% of the time make things worse. The community attitude toward n00bs really sets the atmosphere of a forum. This is only a major problem because the membership has made it a major problem. If idiots made their comments in peace, then disappeared, drawing no attention whatsoever, we might be discussing nerf, rather than n00bs.

Another method would be to simply delete flame posts, both by n00bs and by other members. In a flame war, nobody wins. Excessively flaming n00bs has shaped this forum's atmosphere and defined how it will evolve at this point. In all my months here, the one thing I remember most about NH is the n00b problem. Not the homemades, the mods, or the discussion, the n00b issues. That shouldn't be. It really shouldn't. However, since the vast majority of people will react in the established way when someone posts something stupid, don't expect this to get resolved. If the general attitude doesn't experience some sort of change, then the problem will not go away and talking about it won't do any good.

My 2 cents.

#69734 Open Letter To New Members And Admins

Posted by DX-Robert on 22 December 2005 - 10:30 PM in General Nerf

Well, I guess that's the .01% of flames that actually help. I've seen some very nasty flame wars in my time, just simple things like a comment on one's spelling resulted in bans of multiple members 3 pages later.

At this one forum, we haven't had n00b issues in way over 6 months, maybe even a year, because members know better than to get into flame wars with n00bs. The staff will simply take care of any problems, and we try not to make a big deal of it.

#69908 Open Letter To New Members And Admins

Posted by DX-Robert on 26 December 2005 - 09:55 PM in General Nerf

That would also punish people whom may be newly registered to this forum, but not new to nerfing and/or online forums, for that matter. Quality members could also become victims of the system and rather than wait it out, might simply leave.

I honestly think that n00b problems should be dealt with in private and that public stupidity should be ignored. That would show the level of maturity of the general membership and their willingness to play down, rather than up, a problem that should be a moot point. Then again, those whom know me know that I tend to be idealistic, championing ideas that would never work because human nature works against cool logic and reasoning. Why ignore a stupid post when it could become an "entertaining" flame war? Making rules and policies would not work in this situation. This is all mental, all attitude. And for that reason, methods are doomed to fail until the attitude itself changes, at least somewhat.

The n00b issue will most likely play out like it is destined to because people don't accept radical ideas nor accept change until it is absolutely necessary.

#68487 Organizational Idea

Posted by DX-Robert on 27 November 2005 - 06:29 PM in Modifications

...Only that's at NHQ. Something already existing there isn't going to help n00bs that joined NH and not NHQ. The only negative I can see about compiling a mods list is that really n00bish people won't look at it unless something is done to make the list really obvious. A reference in the COC perhaps, or maybe a link on the forum sub menu. Those are places that at least get noticed. Just a pinned topic or the such wouldn't cut it because pinned topics are suprisingly easy to forget about.

#339753 Organizing nerf war in new hampshire

Posted by DX-Robert on 24 June 2014 - 02:30 PM in Nerf Wars

I know where Hanover is and unfortunately, it's a good distance away, about 3.5-4 hours. The eastern New England Nerf scene has evaporated, they used to have wars near Boston, but not anymore. All we have left is CT and central MA, a scene that is stable and growing. You are welcome to play with us if the drive is not a deal-killer.

You may have more local luck if you organize a game with Dartmouth students. See if they have a gaming club on campus and are interested. The vast majority of college players don't even know about the NIC.

#70326 Overall Gun

Posted by DX-Robert on 02 January 2006 - 08:29 PM in General Nerf

I started to modify all my guns and make some sweet homemade barrels i am awesome at it and u guys cannot even come close to believing my sweet gear and paintjobs.

That's a great way to build a reputation, arrogance has certainly gotten some others here very far. Let's see your work then, and let it speak for itself.

#199057 Pa War 2

Posted by DX-Robert on 26 December 2008 - 08:34 PM in Nerf Wars

There is a good chance that I could attend this war.

#200574 Pa War 2

Posted by DX-Robert on 02 January 2009 - 02:19 PM in Nerf Wars

Dude, you only live like a few miles away from the war! It's really not that difficult when you're within walking distance - you can cover up to 6 miles in 1:30. Meanwhile, I'm 180 miles out trying to think of various creative ways to attend without spending more than $200. At this point, I'm most likely out.

#199704 Pa War 2

Posted by DX-Robert on 30 December 2008 - 12:16 AM in Nerf Wars

This war is going to be quite the tossup. I'd really love to go, but the logistics are a mess. At this point it looks like the only way I'll make it is by arriving in PA by train the day before and spending the night with someone in the local area. Any takers? :)

#254413 Pa War 8

Posted by DX-Robert on 24 October 2009 - 08:08 AM in Nerf Wars

Posting from phone - might be 30 min late

#254322 Pa War 8

Posted by DX-Robert on 22 October 2009 - 03:29 PM in Nerf Wars

I don't think that the concern was actually about the weather, just whether it would result in a date change. Good to see that it's still on as planned.

#254491 Pa War 8

Posted by DX-Robert on 25 October 2009 - 12:09 AM in Nerf Wars

That war has tied several personal records, including longest trip back [7 hours] and latest return [12:55 AM]. Will make a proper highlights post tomorrow, now it's time to crash.

#254065 Pa War 8

Posted by DX-Robert on 20 October 2009 - 01:55 PM in Nerf Wars

Confirmed attendance. 4:30 AM here I come again...

#251765 Pa War 8

Posted by DX-Robert on 26 September 2009 - 08:08 PM in Nerf Wars

If I could catch a ride with someone in Jersey this could work out.

#251871 Pa War 8

Posted by DX-Robert on 27 September 2009 - 08:40 PM in Nerf Wars

Easton CT, although I never ask anyone to come out that far. I am able to meet a driver in northern Jersey, usually at Secaucus station.

#121438 Parkway! Our Newest Member

Posted by DX-Robert on 28 August 2007 - 04:49 PM in Off Topic

Welcome, Parkway! One of these days we shall face each other again, and there won't be anyone covering you. :D I actually didn't know that you are Mcflurry's brother.

#354530 Philadelphia Area Nerf War - July 31st - SuperStock only!

Posted by DX-Robert on 24 June 2016 - 11:28 AM in Nerf Wars

Van, Sam, and I are probably going to build mobstacles earlier in the month, I'll bring them if we do.

#323933 Philadelphia Winter Nerf War Dec 22nd DATE CHANGED TO DEC 22nd!

Posted by DX-Robert on 26 November 2012 - 01:02 AM in Nerf Wars

Crap, I can't make the 22nd.

#323717 Philadelphia Winter Nerf War Dec 22nd DATE CHANGED TO DEC 22nd!

Posted by DX-Robert on 18 November 2012 - 11:35 PM in Nerf Wars

Koree has my RBP so I have to come and buy him lunch, haha.

#314934 Philly Area April Nerf War

Posted by DX-Robert on 28 April 2012 - 09:18 PM in Nerf Wars

I made it home safely, although it was a rather painful 4 hour ride. I strained my left quad muscle pretty hard in the 2nd to last VIP round. The ice worked so well that I was able to play in that last round, but on the way home, the numbness wore off and it hurt a lot. I'll probably be out of nerf wars for the next several weeks as this heals.

Otherwise, another awesome war. Ask Hero all about the "cripple hop" and shootout :P

#313473 Philly Area April Nerf War

Posted by DX-Robert on 24 March 2012 - 12:02 PM in Nerf Wars

I don't know my late April schedule yet, but I will be there if that weekend is clear.

#314497 Philly Area April Nerf War

Posted by DX-Robert on 18 April 2012 - 12:01 AM in Nerf Wars

I am now a definite and I might have a guest.

#314886 Philly Area April Nerf War

Posted by DX-Robert on 27 April 2012 - 07:10 PM in Nerf Wars

Kind of random, but does anyone happen to have my quad barrel speedloader with the bright orange ends on two of the pipes? Last week at NJNO, I realized that it's gone missing and the last place I remember having it was Bicentennial. I can always make a new one, but that was an unusual batch of CPVC that isn't easily replaced.

Hero, any chance you can bring my blue fold up chair tomorrow? I forgot about that last week.

At least the weather changed again. The rain is not due to arrive until after the war ends, much like last NJNO. It will start out a bit chilly, but should warm up a bit through the middle and end of the war. See you in the morning!

#347720 Philly Area Help Koree Test a New Field War July 25th

Posted by DX-Robert on 06 July 2015 - 02:41 PM in Nerf Wars

I will be able to attend if I can physically get there. I need to keep my car on this side of the Hudson and within an affordable radius of the repair shop, sad times.

#320269 Philly War 9/1 Smedley Park

Posted by DX-Robert on 10 August 2012 - 12:01 AM in Nerf Wars

Now that the rest of the Twinkies are coming, I can't say no.

#306410 Please Stop the Insanity

Posted by DX-Robert on 23 October 2011 - 07:52 PM in Site Feedback

Just simply ignore the posts, topics, and people that you don't want to read. This has been working just fine for the past 6 years. Nerfhaven is a resource anyway, you are supposed to take the info you need, post the info you need to share, and disregard what is not useful to you. Those various systems to manage posting are unnecessary.

#336171 Possible January war?

Posted by DX-Robert on 30 December 2013 - 05:55 PM in Nerf Wars

There is a snowstorm forecast for Friday the 3rd. If that happens, I probably won't be able to get out of CT on the 4th.

#335998 Possible January war?

Posted by DX-Robert on 20 December 2013 - 11:21 PM in Nerf Wars

At this point, all of my January weekends are available, but my road budget is in shambles after spending $1,100 on major car repairs. UPS doesn't pay well enough to support hobbies, I fund wars entirely from selling blasters. I guess I'll go to PA if I have enough and will pass if I don't.

#192343 Possible Thanksgiving War?

Posted by DX-Robert on 27 November 2008 - 09:35 PM in Nerf Wars

Plan it against the weather. Sunday's forecast is for rain and mid 40s. Given the chance for rain, you want to start in the morning to get more nerf in. 11 AM would be better than 10 AM personally, cause it's the day after the Mill Creek war and that war's gonna be a hell of a 3 part trip early in the morning and late at night.

#192891 Possible Thanksgiving War?

Posted by DX-Robert on 29 November 2008 - 10:47 PM in Nerf Wars

I won't be able to make this one...realized that I can't spend the day in Jersey. I've got to get back to New London to do all the work I didn't get done over the break.

#192070 Possible Thanksgiving War?

Posted by DX-Robert on 26 November 2008 - 01:33 PM in Nerf Wars

This war would only work if it is NOT on that Saturday. As mentioned above, the Mill Creek war is already tapping out the region. It could work on that Friday or Sunday, however, but you need to make a decisive call - doesn't matter if it's up or down - just quickly. There are people like myself who would be willing to nerf back-to-back days, but we need to know by today so we can make the proper preparations. Nothing sucks more than having to make a load of darts, fix/mod guns, and make travel arrangements the night before.

If you do decide to go for it, look through previous war topics to get the format down. You'll see what kind of directions are necessary, pics are nice to attract potential players, times need to be up there, local rules if any, gun restrictions if any, etc. It's pretty a pretty logical and self explanatory process. No need to be intimidated by hosting your first war, as long as you follow the examples of other successful wars.

#69007 Posting And You

Posted by DX-Robert on 10 December 2005 - 08:34 PM in Off Topic

That should be a mandatory video for all new members to watch.

We recommended it about 2 years ago in the Water War Community. N00bs simply ignored it. Weird how history repeats itself?

#338865 Posting html or word documents

Posted by DX-Robert on 11 May 2014 - 12:05 AM in Site Feedback

The [HTML] BBCode tag is an XSS threat and I don't think it's ever been turned on here. You'd have better luck re-formatting your post than trying to convince the admins to allow an injectable tag.

#201038 Potential?

Posted by DX-Robert on 04 January 2009 - 01:29 PM in General Nerf

Only the water blasters with the "Flash Flood" type feature have enough air pressure to push a stefan out, otherwise, the stefan will just be a cork.

First off you would prolly have to reinforce the backpack thing to hold pressurized air

Disregard that advice, it's wrong. This is my specialty. The Flash Flood and related water guns are CPS, using a rubber bladder that expands and contracts to expel water, aka it does not rely on air pressure and will not perform well with darts. The gun mentioned in this topic, the Hydra Pak, ALSO uses an elastic system, not air pressure. You can't see them, but its dual chambers are located within the backpack. In order to make a practical converted blaster, you'd have to restructure the entire thing, and you'd still get poor results unless you convert the CPS to air pressure. That's force modding in water gun terminology and has rarely ever been done.

If you want to convert water guns, the older XP series has the best results. Any separate chamber air pressure gun will work [some models have chambers that are fake and are actually piston guns], but XP are more reliable - they are more durable than most other water guns and generally have stronger triggers [unlike in nerf guns, some water gun trigger setups are very weak. They can also have trigger valve problems where the spring in the valve wears out, resulting in pump-shooting]. Converted guns have less problems [water takes much more force to move than air and causes more stress over time] so keep all that in mind if you're converting a used water gun vs NIB, it makes a difference.

#335668 Pre-Christmas with Kyle and Koree

Posted by DX-Robert on 26 November 2013 - 11:55 PM in Nerf Wars

If it were the 14th, I'd be able to make it, but I am unavailable on the 21st.

Edit: My 28th may have opened back up.