shandsgator8's Content

There have been 444 items by shandsgator8 (Search limited from 06-February 97)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#354269 Where to buy Buzz Bee Sentinels

Posted by shandsgator8 on 16 June 2016 - 03:34 PM in General Nerf

I've never ordered from Cabela's, but it's a fairly reputable store, at least with respect to the potential for fraud. They're basically a Gander Mountain or Bass Pro Shop type of store.

#356694 1st Annual Black Friday PA Nerf War

Posted by shandsgator8 on 08 November 2016 - 08:03 PM in Nerf Wars

I am unable to attend. I really miss these superstock wars, especially at this location.

#354856 Nerf tatical roughcut

Posted by shandsgator8 on 07 July 2016 - 02:51 PM in Modifications

Few do except for those who are wanting to get into the game/do it for thrills and those who accept only appropriate compensation from clients. If this is $100 in materials, I'd probably want to charge $500 or more to make it possibly worthwhile for me to do it.

The reason nobody takes comissions is because most people who want a commission are used to paying sub-$100 for an OOTB blaster. The other part is that the makers have too few clients willing to pay *anything* because most people DIY it if they like it.

Similar to the above bolded, those who can't do it themselves, aren't willing to pay what it's worth to get it done right. Those who can afford to get it done right, are able (and willing) to do it themselves. This is a generalization, but I think there's some truth to it.

#351245 Rapidstrike slowing down

Posted by shandsgator8 on 29 January 2016 - 01:24 PM in Modifications

OP: Have you tried alternate battery packs (that you know work just fine) in order to eliminate the battery as the source of the problem?

#363644 Tennessee and Kentucky area Nerf Rival War

Posted by shandsgator8 on 14 January 2019 - 10:58 PM in Nerf Wars

I'm in Western, KY, about 1.5 hours away from Clarksville, TN.

#361632 PSA: Nerf Guns May Cause Eye Injuries!

Posted by shandsgator8 on 21 September 2017 - 09:02 AM in General Nerf

Definitely don't put poo on the darts because then they can cause pinkeye

I didn't know people did that. This is such a dangerous hobby. Maybe we should quit doing it?

#361202 my new favorite darts

Posted by shandsgator8 on 05 August 2017 - 06:23 PM in Modifications

How much did the 100 pack from Walmart cost?

#349850 Best glue to use for Gen 3 Koosh darts

Posted by shandsgator8 on 05 December 2015 - 02:37 PM in Darts and Barrels

Anyone have recommendations for which glue to use for reattaching the Koosh heads?

Thanks.

EDIT: I found out the UHU POR expanded polystyrene foam works well, but I want something I can get from a local hardware store.

#363667 Quick jam (quick 16)

Posted by shandsgator8 on 17 February 2019 - 01:22 PM in Modifications

What darts do you use?

#363535 Nashville, TN? Anyone?

Posted by shandsgator8 on 29 November 2018 - 02:00 PM in Nerf Wars

I'm about 2 hours away in Western KY. If there are enough people for a war, I might be able to justify a drive over there.

#358271 Will a Blastertech Stryfe stage 3 Honey Badger 130 XT60 kit work in a

Posted by shandsgator8 on 27 February 2017 - 06:40 PM in Modifications

It'll work in that the motors will fit, but the wiring lengths will be all wrong. Look at the blastersmith UK site for their kit & also look up foamdataservices YouTube video on rewiring the demolisher. It's actually one of the more difficult ones to rewire because of the opposite side battery tray & the lack of much internal room.

I have heard/seen this as well.

#350458 Are you able to put super soaker accessories onto dart blasters?

Posted by shandsgator8 on 04 January 2016 - 10:20 AM in General Nerf

Some of them are ideally used on Nerf blasters:

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0026.JPG

#360899 Nerfers around Southern Illinois? Let's host some games.

Posted by shandsgator8 on 03 July 2017 - 06:24 PM in Nerf Wars

I'm moving soon to Western Kentucky, which is very close to you.

#362653 how profitable would selling modified blasters on Ebay be?

Posted by shandsgator8 on 05 March 2018 - 08:38 AM in Modifications

And don't forget, eBay is VERY buyer friendly. You sell something the buyer isn't happy with, be prepared to pay for them to return the item (on your dime) and for you to refund the money.

Then there's the 10% (or so) cut eBay gets on your sale. 

#310109 Disregard

Posted by shandsgator8 on 25 January 2012 - 07:02 PM in Nerf Wars

Put me down as a remote maybe.

#353796 IMRs outperforming a 2s LiPo

Posted by shandsgator8 on 27 May 2016 - 06:10 PM in Modifications

The Rayven also has a longer barrel than the Stryfe. Perhaps there is some interference/friction with the darts leaving the Ravyen's barrel?

Additionally, three IMRs in series will have a higher nominal voltage (11.1 volts or so) than two LiPos in series (7.2 volts or so).

#355318 5 cents per bottle deposit

Posted by shandsgator8 on 01 August 2016 - 05:58 PM in Off Topic

Are any of you New Yorkers coming to Apoc able to cash in water bottles for 5 cents? If so, how do you do it? I have a bunch of 500 ml water bottles that say 5 cents for NY deposit.

#355362 5 cents per bottle deposit

Posted by shandsgator8 on 05 August 2016 - 07:41 AM in Off Topic

Thanks for the info. I'm thinking about getting rid of mine by giving them away, but not sure if they'll work in NY (or CT).

#358045 Stefans made from ear plugs??????

Posted by shandsgator8 on 18 February 2017 - 09:08 PM in Darts and Barrels

I think it's worth looking into. I think potential issues you'll have to figure out is pricing, availability and consistency of the ear plug's diameter.

Keep in mind that I think the foam blanks most people use for slugs/stefans only costs a few cents (for the raw material only), so unless you can get the earplugs for under 8 cents per pair, I doubt this is something most people will be able to afford to use, at least when compared to slugs/stefans.

#308001 Canceled.

Posted by shandsgator8 on 03 December 2011 - 10:33 AM in Nerf Wars

I might be able to make it.

#308234 Canceled.

Posted by shandsgator8 on 12 December 2011 - 07:35 PM in Nerf Wars

If you could, please let me know if you can definitely make it.

I'm waiting to see if we'll get a good showing, but I suppose it's a chicken-egg thing. In that case, I will say that I won't make it.

#359528 Is all of this stuff good for rewiring a Zeus?

Posted by shandsgator8 on 28 April 2017 - 10:03 AM in Modifications

The wires will be fine. You'd be ok if you went to 18awg, although if you have the room in the Zeus, it can't hurt to use the thicker 16awg wire.

#359502 Similar design, but NEW DARTS

Posted by shandsgator8 on 27 April 2017 - 11:10 AM in Darts and Barrels

So does that translate into working better or worse for accuracy and fps? My guess is maybe actually worse because of the gaping and un-even hole in the tip, I don't know any physics yet though but im guessing you do slug

I think it's going to come down to simple testing.

I'm curious as to how these would do in flywheel blasters.

#349870 How easy is it for new members to join?

Posted by shandsgator8 on 07 December 2015 - 01:36 PM in Site Feedback

I know there's been some talk or concern about the Nerf community going to other sites like facebook. Could one reason be that it's too cumbersome for people to join NH? They have to wait for approval and when they get it, they're limited in how they can post or PM. I can't blame someone from relying on facebook or reddit for informing others about Nerf wars or events given how so many people who are interested aren't allowed to post on NH.

Maybe making it easier to joining NH might keep more people from using other sites? Or has NH already gotten rid of these restrictions?

#349912 How easy is it for new members to join?

Posted by shandsgator8 on 08 December 2015 - 04:28 PM in Site Feedback

Thanks for the information and answers.

#354666 Quality voberry darts

Posted by shandsgator8 on 29 June 2016 - 01:36 PM in Darts and Barrels

Koosh are great for flywheel blasters

#350994 In Need of Help with Setting Up Wars

Posted by shandsgator8 on 21 January 2016 - 06:08 AM in General Nerf

There is no right answer to your question. Given the US legal system, someone can file a lawsuit against you for any reason, no matter how stupid, illogical or unfair. Sure, they may not win, but you have to deal with the lawsuit either way.

There's talk about waivers, but that doesn't guarantee anything, except maybe you'll sleep better at night. Common sense and making sure those "too young" have parental supervision at your Nerf wars seems to be the norm.

#358814 "Oakfinder" Wooden Nite Finder

Posted by shandsgator8 on 26 March 2017 - 10:31 AM in Modifications

Very neat!

#359484 Where can I buy stefans?

Posted by shandsgator8 on 26 April 2017 - 02:39 PM in Darts and Barrels

Depends on exactly what you need. Depending on your barrel and NIC blaster set up, you may need stefans of a particular length and diameter. And do you want domes or slugs?

Whatever you want, some people will be able to make them and sell them here on NH (such as myself, but I just make #6 or #8 slugs; no domes from me).

#363390 Why a 2s 7.4v Lipo Charges to 8.4v?

Posted by shandsgator8 on 07 October 2018 - 03:49 PM in General Nerf

snakerbot is exactly right. I'd like to add that the voltage during a discharge will also depend on the rate of discharge. Under high loads, batteries will experience "voltage sag" which can sometimes lower the voltage of the battery past its nominal voltage rating. Batteries with high internal resistance will tend to do this more (and get warm/hot).

#360767 n-strike vs elite firefly clip

Posted by shandsgator8 on 24 June 2017 - 10:32 AM in Darts and Barrels

I use the original grey one and I've had no problems with it.

#355260 On "Nerf Dart" alternatives

Posted by shandsgator8 on 29 July 2016 - 10:52 AM in General Nerf

This thread might help:

http://nerfhaven.com...lugs-questions/

#347874 Aspects of an air blaster, what's more important?

Posted by shandsgator8 on 16 July 2015 - 10:40 AM in General Nerf

This might help somewhat:

http://nerfhaven.com...=1

#359310 Maximum Voltage for an MTB Rhino Motor

Posted by shandsgator8 on 18 April 2017 - 06:32 PM in Modifications

I know it can run a 3s lipo, but I want to know what the absolute MAXIMUM voltage it can run before burning up.

If you really want an answer, here it is: it depends. You can overvolt them as much as you want as long as you're willing to deal with a much shorter life. But how much of a shorter life is anyone's guess.

So then the question is, if you increased the voltage by X volts, how much of a shorter life will you have? But before you can answer that question, you need to know how much of a shorter life you are willing to deal with. 

TLDR: Just buy a second set of motors, run your desired voltage and keep track of the run times. If they last long enough for you (assuming nothing melts), you have your answer. If they don't, use less voltage and run them again, keeping track of how long they last. 

#363611 Rival Khaos to elite dart conversion?

Posted by shandsgator8 on 02 January 2019 - 11:07 PM in Modifications

Someone already did. Needs to use short mags because it's got a short stroke.

The Nerf Khaos and Kronos are two different blasters, right?

#360319 Could some one make a Ranger One

Posted by shandsgator8 on 03 June 2017 - 08:33 PM in General Nerf

What's a Ranger One?

#363573 Is selling Hybrid-Shelled Blaster profitable?

Posted by shandsgator8 on 23 December 2018 - 08:39 AM in Modifications

It might be possible to to earn "beer money" or make enough money to support your hobby , but don't expect to be able to quit your day job.

#362474 Do Tamiya motors work better if the batteries are in Parallel?

Posted by shandsgator8 on 05 February 2018 - 08:30 AM in Modifications

The answer depends on the type of AAA batteries you're using, but even with lithium primaries or Eneloop AAA, 3-6 amps is a lot of current draw for such a small cell. So if it works, you won't be getting the best performance and will be reducing the life of your battery (if rechargeable).

#352069 whos darts?

Posted by shandsgator8 on 08 March 2016 - 09:29 PM in General Nerf

Generally, each participant brings their own darts. Some clubs/groups will have a shared bin of darts (aka: a community bin, which can have several thousand darts in it) that participants may use if they pay a fee. Of course, the host doesn't have to charge a fee if he doesn't want to, but it's his call.

I feel the biggest problem with a community darts bin is that it requires a large upfront cost which someone has to pay. The cost can be spread out, but I wouldn't be surprised if people refuse to pay a fee for darts they're not allowed to take home, but rather, only use. The second biggest problem is that which dart works the best in which blaster? I like Gen3 Koosh darts, but some springer users may not and prefer voodberry or stock Nerf Elites.

I've only played in wars where everyone brought their own darts. It's nice in that people know what works in their blasters and can load up however and whenever they want. However, what often happens is newer or cheaper players will use your darts (point 1) during the game and accidentally take home other people's darts (point 2). Regarding this first point, it's a little annoying when you bring extra mags and darts, but your buddy only has two 12 shot clips/mags and 24 darts and he expects to play competitively. You will likely let him borrow some darts and/or mags, and this will increase your dart loss. It's a necessary part of playing, I get it (we were all rookies once), but it increase the cost of Nerfing of more seasoned players.

Regarding the second point, I played in a group where I started off with about 120 or so stock Nerf Elite darts. After about 2 wars, I literally had 30 darts left. Dart loss in the leaves and forest areas was part of the reason, but I'm pretty sure some of the newbies took a few, thinking my darts belonged to them.

The above two points are why a community dart bin can be a good idea.

#357275 [Help] Pump Replacement

Posted by shandsgator8 on 22 December 2016 - 08:12 AM in Modifications

What I did was epoxy a push-to-fit vinyl coupler to the end of the pump, then attached the vinyl tubing to the coupler

You can see what I mean here: http://nerfhaven.com...ider/?hl=raider

You can compare how I attached the vinyl tubing by looking/comparing the pictures in the first and last post. The last post shows what I mean about gluing the coupler to the pump.