shandsgator8's Content

There have been 444 items by shandsgator8 (Search limited from 29-January 97)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#356149 Shields: Do you love them? Hate them? Ban them? Permit them?

Posted by shandsgator8 on 06 October 2016 - 07:58 PM in General Nerf

We allow shields, but only if their offensive "weapon" is a melee item, like a sword. Needless to say, we get a lot of face shots since that's basically the only thing we can reliably hit when someone uses a large shield.

#354286 Slugs, Slugs, and more Slugs Questions

Posted by shandsgator8 on 16 June 2016 - 09:20 PM in Darts and Barrels

The benefits of slugs are that they provide stefan type performance in higher powered NIC and/or homemade blasters. The components of the slugs are fairly cheap and the felt tip allows them to feed well in hoppers. 

They can be made easily, but it takes practice to get the hot glue (or other adhesive) applied the right way, foam cut squarely and washers centered on the adhesive pads.

Slugs can be obtained by either buying them from someone who makes them (such as myself, KaneTheMediocre, snickers and others) or making them yourself. If you're really into NIC style play and have the time, it's well worth the effort to learn how to make slugs and make them yourself. Here's a great guide for making slugs: http://nerfhaven.com...ade-nerf-darts/

Most people follow that guide for the most part, but may tweak exactly how they make their slugs, such as choice in foam, adhesive used, foam length, etc.

#356759 Strongarm misfire/darts fall off the barrel.

Posted by shandsgator8 on 18 November 2016 - 07:35 PM in General Nerf

If darts were stored for a long time in the cylinder/barrel of the Strongarm, what you observed isn't too surprising, since the darts have compressed so that they can no longer make an effective seal.

I could be wrong, but if the Strongarm works anything like a Maverick, then I bet this is what's happening (it happened to me with a Maverick back in the day).

#355640 Filming Nerf Wars

Posted by shandsgator8 on 19 August 2016 - 06:33 AM in General Nerf

Use a gimbal. This is the best Nerf video I've ever watched: 

#351689 Expanded Throat Barrel Concept

Posted by shandsgator8 on 22 February 2016 - 02:42 PM in Darts and Barrels

Why wouldn't this work with #8 washer slugs? They work just fine in stock CPVC barrels, so they should work just fine in this throat barrel, right?

Also, is this kind of like a reverse chicago style barrel?

#351691 Expanded Throat Barrel Concept

Posted by shandsgator8 on 22 February 2016 - 04:10 PM in Darts and Barrels

If by Chicago, you mean the ESLT style of barrel, with 3 inches of CPVC, and then really loose (~.527 ID)  barrel, then I suppose this is applicable, however I classify that as a "Telescopic" barrel because of the changes in DIA as well as material used. So perhaps? but they are otherwise unrelated.

I've had trouble feeding #8 slugs through my CPVC barrels, just my experiences.

Ok. I suppose I was lucky enough to get an extra wide ID batch of CPVC a while back.

#360148 Chest rig question

Posted by shandsgator8 on 27 May 2017 - 06:27 AM in General Nerf

https://www.amazon.c...ding=UTF8&psc=1

Recommend these, cheap and reliable. Holds 12x18rounders at max capacity.

+1

That's what I use and I've very happy with it, even when I'm using it to hold twelve 18 dart box bags.

#360161 Chest rig question

Posted by shandsgator8 on 27 May 2017 - 07:02 PM in General Nerf

If a chest rig will handle 18 dart box mags no problem, why wouldn't it handle a 12 dart box mag? Maybe I'm misreading something?

Also, if you're going into Nerf without regard to cost (lucky you!) and you also know you're getting this chest rig anyways, what exactly are you asking for?

#348837 Ads?

Posted by shandsgator8 on 25 September 2015 - 06:31 AM in Off Topic

Does NH need money to continue operations?

Either way, I like the idea of write up submission contents. Maybe that'll keep users here and off of other sites?

#350546 Amazon Nerf N-Strike Elite Darts Knockoffs - Question

Posted by shandsgator8 on 06 January 2016 - 11:54 AM in Darts and Barrels

Do a search on NH; there is a lot of discussion on the different types.

#348845 Ads?

Posted by shandsgator8 on 25 September 2015 - 12:27 PM in Off Topic

Yes, it currently operates off the generosity of Langley, VACC, and other admin/mod staff. It takes money to pay for the domain name, server space, upkeep, and etc.

Ideally the number would be kept to a minimum, they would be hand-picked by staff for appropriateness/quality, and they would be unobtrusive. One at the top and side wouldn't interfere with browsing. I think it's been discussed after news posts, and usually the consensus is that it'd be for non-members/not-logged-in members.

If they start raking in cash, the extra would probably go back into the community somehow - contest prizes and etc. That's somewhat unlikely though.

So Langley & Co. are using their own personal funds to keep NH running?

Bring on the ads!

#358015 sledgefire sidesaddles

Posted by shandsgator8 on 17 February 2017 - 08:58 AM in General Nerf

That's really cool, cockerpunk.

#358046 sledgefire sidesaddles

Posted by shandsgator8 on 18 February 2017 - 09:12 PM in General Nerf

I think the Sledgefire is immensely practical for indoor wars in tight quarters, like residential houses. Sure, the ROF is low, but being able to place 3 darts with great spread can't be beat by most stock blasters. 

#354073 Solder: Lead vs Lead Free

Posted by shandsgator8 on 09 June 2016 - 08:56 AM in Modifications

The lead free is theoretically healthier but harder to work with, plus there's really no health benefit since at regular soldering temperatures the lead doesn't vaporize anyway, the fumes are the flux which is in lead free and regular solder. Just get lead solder its cheaper and as long as you don't eat it or something stupid like that you'll be fine.

That's good to know!

#354071 Solder: Lead vs Lead Free

Posted by shandsgator8 on 09 June 2016 - 08:51 AM in Modifications

But even so, why would people go out of the way to mention the type of solder used AFTER the fact, or to specifically mention one kind to use for a build as if there is a functional difference

It implies some sort of performance difference in terms of conductivity, etc., which I fail to read anywhere

It makes them feel smart and important.

#354075 Solder: Lead vs Lead Free

Posted by shandsgator8 on 09 June 2016 - 09:45 AM in Modifications

I believe in the axiom: "the more hazardous it is to your health, the better it works."

However, I never noticed a difference in performance or ease of use, when using either lead or lead free solder. I don't think I've used leaded solder in decades, though.

#354069 Solder: Lead vs Lead Free

Posted by shandsgator8 on 09 June 2016 - 08:47 AM in Modifications

I just bought whatever was at my Radio Shack, which only sold lead-free, if I recall correctly. I think it had rosin core. Works just fine for all my electrical applications (Nerf rewires, R/C, battery packs, working on circuit boards, etc.)

As for the lead being a health risk, just make sure you wash your hands after using it and avoid breathing the fumes.

#353103 Keystone NERF group's May Wars

Posted by shandsgator8 on 27 April 2016 - 05:13 PM in Nerf Wars

Thanks for posting this here!

I can probably make the 15th, but I certainly won't be able to make the 22nd.

I probably can't make the 15th either, sorry.

For those who may be interested, this is a great place to play. Superstock wars have their charm!

#361967 Rechargeable Batteries in Nemesis

Posted by shandsgator8 on 14 November 2017 - 08:39 PM in Modifications

While I know little about nerf modding (I'm still a newbie) I do know quite a bit about batteries and such from my flashlight addiction :-)  What I have are "real" d-cell 10000 Mah batteries. There are stupidly expensive so I wouldn't even consider using them except for the fact I already have them for an led mag-lite.  

They should work, as long as you do a good job soldering them into a pack and use high quality components to handle the current draw.

#349612 Someone made the modulus useful!

Posted by shandsgator8 on 23 November 2015 - 06:31 PM in Modifications

Really, although it's probably more of an indictment on me not knowing anything, rather than the merit of the mod.

#349607 Someone made the modulus useful!

Posted by shandsgator8 on 23 November 2015 - 03:05 PM in Modifications

This is the first I've ever heard of the "afterburner" mod.

#360507 I love the modulus flip clip!

Posted by shandsgator8 on 11 June 2017 - 03:01 PM in Darts and Barrels

I have done a similar thing with a regular 18 dart box mag and a 18 dart Firefly mag. The battery holder in the Firefly mag serves as a mag spacer so I have 36 darts much in the same way you have 24 darts. Of course, your method provides for a more "balanced" blaster (I've always found the 18 dart box mags unwieldy).

#354320 Blasters to look out for?

Posted by shandsgator8 on 17 June 2016 - 03:58 PM in General Nerf

You can do some research by searching eBay for sold prices of various Nerf blasters.

#360726 Nerf mercenary for hire

Posted by shandsgator8 on 23 June 2017 - 04:48 AM in General Nerf

I assume this is a joke.

#363498 Best guns/ammo when purchasing for a large group

Posted by shandsgator8 on 18 November 2018 - 10:01 AM in General Nerf

+1 on the Kronos and Artemis. These are nice in that users don't need to lug around extra mags. Some big pockets or a simple belt pouch/bag should suffice (except for ball spammers who like to slamfire the Artemis...)

#355250 What switches should i use for a 3s and xp180s

Posted by shandsgator8 on 28 July 2016 - 01:16 PM in Modifications

I bet that sucker has some serious resistance.

#347518 Flywheel blaster at Apoc

Posted by shandsgator8 on 29 June 2015 - 03:28 PM in Nerf Wars

you guys make it sound like i can't get within 25 yards of my targets without getting wrecked? so are we having 50-75 yard engagements?

Just listen to Langley and other experienced members here.

#351216 Demolisher vs. Rapidstrike

Posted by shandsgator8 on 28 January 2016 - 09:46 PM in General Nerf

Isn't the Demolisher like a larger version of the Stryfe (ie semi-auto rather than fully auto)?

#355717 spring-loaded magazines

Posted by shandsgator8 on 22 August 2016 - 07:18 PM in Darts and Barrels

Keeping darts in revolver type cylinders isn't great, since it slightly deforms the darts over time.This leads the darts sliding out of the cylinder and reduced power. At least this was the case with older blasters, like the Spectre and Maverick. I assume the same still applies with more modern cylinder Nerf blasters, but I could be wrong.

#351318 How far are you willing to go?

Posted by shandsgator8 on 03 February 2016 - 11:52 AM in Off Topic

About 4-5 hours (driving), round trip.

#361217 MTB Wolverine MK2 (180 size) 6 volt

Posted by shandsgator8 on 07 August 2017 - 06:06 AM in Modifications

You run any brushed motor at spec and it will eventually burn out. So the more you overvolt it, the faster it'll burn out.

#349576 Trustfire problems

Posted by shandsgator8 on 22 November 2015 - 06:10 PM in Modifications

I'm just wondering if the Trustfires have been damaged by this set up.

#349570 Trustfire problems

Posted by shandsgator8 on 22 November 2015 - 03:41 PM in Modifications

Are you running Trustfires at the same time with "regular" alkaline batteries?

#361434 Anyone Play MLB: The Show on the PS Vita?

Posted by shandsgator8 on 29 August 2017 - 09:46 PM in Off Topic

If the title applies to you, have you ever experienced freezing issues on load screens or error messages while watching replays of a particular play, such as a home run? I'm playing the 2014 version of the game, but I'm asking if anyone has this problem in any version, given how rare this console is.

Anyone have freezing issues in general on their Vita and if so, how did you fix it?

Thanks!

#361476 Anyone Play MLB: The Show on the PS Vita?

Posted by shandsgator8 on 01 September 2017 - 03:03 PM in Off Topic

I just have 1 question, why did you ask this on nerg hayven? Sony or the maker of the game could help serverly, or you could look up the problem on google or youtube, but nerf hayven is probably not the place to start looking for answers.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize that the off topic section was limited to NIC related questions only.

Forgive my assumption that playing with foam shooting toys and the PS Vita was mutually exclusive.

#350042 War footage

Posted by shandsgator8 on 17 December 2015 - 12:31 PM in Nerf Wars

If you take footage, please use a gimbal. Notice the difference:

Note: Not my video (it's from MTB). It's the first Nerf footage video I've ever enjoyed watching. Gee, I wonder why.

EDIT: Yes, I know gimbals aren't cheap, but neither are GoPro cameras or DSLRs.

#358699 IMRs

Posted by shandsgator8 on 22 March 2017 - 03:28 PM in Modifications

I don't know for sure if they would work,  but even if they do, they're not going to be the most efficient given their internal resistance.

I would strongly recommend against using such cheap lithium cells with high performance motors. You could make a 6-8 cell AA NiMH battery pack that should work ok with the MTB Rhinos (assuming you use respectable cells). But then that would take you additional time and effort and cut into your profit margins.

Your call.

#358707 IMRs

Posted by shandsgator8 on 22 March 2017 - 07:14 PM in Modifications

If you don't know how to do that, you shouldn't be taking commissions.

#359894 What air tank to use for a shotgun?

Posted by shandsgator8 on 13 May 2017 - 08:47 PM in Modifications

Titan

#363956 Next gen nerf. Or not.

Posted by shandsgator8 on 02 June 2019 - 05:30 PM in Modifications

are the flywheel blasters annoyingly loud?

In my opinion yes, but you can get used to them.