Wait!

So the thing on top will

Catch the plunger

Grab a dart

and Seal breech?

Am I right?

Here is a diagram:

Posted Image

Blue is barrel sheath, red is barrel, ugly a** purple and black is spring and chamber respectively.

The mag goes to the white part in the red, then lines up with blue part to grab a dart, all the while pushing the plunger back to catch it?

Edited by Lynx, 17 October 2007 - 10:40 PM.

Columbus' original crazy asshole now comes with:

AWESOME NITEFINDER

#27 murakumo32

murakumo32

• Members
  • 419 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 12:13 AM

No offense, but I believe I have a "better" diagram.

F.A.M.A.S concept rendering

Yeah, I couldn't figure out how to get the spring to compress and a few other things, but you should get the idea. This is just practice for a class I'm taking, so I might start doing these more frequently. I didn't bother with any PVC or PETG pipe measurements since you guys probably don't care. It's only a concept rendering after all.

-EDIT-

To Prometheus / CaptainSlug,
Could either of you provide me with the dimensions of a LS mag? I just need the basic; length, width, height, lips, etc.

Edited by murakumo32, 18 October 2007 - 01:02 AM.

Nerfing, now fortified with vitamin C!
-or-
100% Nerf, for 100% pwnage.

Nerf is a neutral weapons dealer. Anyone coughing up the dough can get armed.

and they're made of Foam... which makes them very Nerfy...

#28 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,760 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 06:15 AM

My concern is that you need a thin walled tube in order to make a sliding breech that will load a dart. But a thin walled tube is not something you would be using to push back a plunger.
Also, trying to get a handle attached to the outer surface of the barrel in a way that it will allow you to push back a plunger would also be very troublesome.

The only way I can see this potentially being functional would be to make the barrel out of aluminum so that you can weld the charging handle onto the outside of it. The wall thickness is a big high for a sliding breech, but it should work and will provide enough strength to push back the plunger.
Mcmaster part# 1658T49 - Alloy 6063 Aluminum Round Tube .625" OD, .527" ID, 8' Length = $7.41 for 8 feet
is the aluminum tube I sometime use for barrels.

To Prometheus / CaptainSlug,
Could either of you provide me with the dimensions of a LS mag? I just need the basic; length, width, height, lips, etc.

I made a CAD model and shared it with Prometheus. Here it is for everyone else. It's in STEP AP 214, Stereo Lithograph, and Alibre Part file formats.
http://www.captainsl...nerf/ls_mag.zip
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#29 Spectre666

Spectre666

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 10:05 PM

As I've said earlier in the thread, I am a traditionalist, and want to keep the guns the same as they are in real life. I also think that bolt action is cooler. Too many people think slapping a pump on a gun is the best thing ever.

I'm with you on that, if it is soposed to look like a FAMAS, then it needs to have that same forward bolt. If a gun isn't a shotgun, or doesn't look like a shotgun, then it shouldn't have a shotgun foregrip, and even so, semiatomatic and automatic shotguns are becoming increasingly common.

Just because you can't see me doesn't mean I'm not there.

"Quoth the Raven,'Nevermore.'" - Edgar Allan Poe

#30 NerfFreak

NerfFreak

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 08:59 PM

You have alot of flaws in your diagram. One of them is that the dart is just sitting in the barrel before the barrel/bolt is even moved back.

Captain Slug, I have a way of getting around darts being pushed into the plunger chamber. It'll be in the finished product, so bear with me.
Nuckin' Futz

#31 murakumo32

murakumo32

• Members
  • 419 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 07:56 PM

You have alot of flaws in your diagram. One of them is that the dart is just sitting in the barrel before the barrel/bolt is even moved back.

Captain Slug, I have a way of getting around darts being pushed into the plunger chamber. It'll be in the finished product, so bear with me.

revision

Is that better now?
Nerfing, now fortified with vitamin C!
-or-
100% Nerf, for 100% pwnage.

Nerf is a neutral weapons dealer. Anyone coughing up the dough can get armed.

and they're made of Foam... which makes them very Nerfy...

#32 NerfFreak

NerfFreak

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 01:45 PM

I don't care if it's better or not. That's not the point.

Having trouble cutting the breech in the copper pipe. How would I go about doing that?
Nuckin' Futz

#33 Foam Shooter

Foam Shooter

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 02:56 PM

I'm not sure how you plan on making a breech with copper but I cut brass with a dremel cut-off wheel but here is a topic on cutting a breech without a dremel.

http://nerfhaven.com...utting a breech

Also I hate you. I had the exact same design but never got around to posting it.

Edited by Foam_Shooter, 21 October 2007 - 05:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users