Photo

A Suggestion

It's different from FA24's

20 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you think it would be agood idea to have a concept forum (47 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you agree?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Nonsense Man

Nonsense Man

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 03:36 PM

I think it would be a good idea to have a concept forum and it could just be a general concept forum for mods homemades etc. So what do you guys think of this?
QUOTE(1lastnerfgun @ Apr 19 2008, 08:39 AM) View Post

40 shots for 40 cocks

#2 frost vectron

frost vectron

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 03:58 PM

I personally do not like concept forums. People can sit and speculate about possibilities all day long.

It's best to develop a prototype and just do it, in my opinion.
Latest Modification: The Professional

"I am a leaf on the wind--watch how I soar" - Hoban "Wash" Washburne, Serenity.

#3 keef

keef

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 04:20 PM

I say yes.

It shouldn't add to your post count I say, or people would post crap to make thier post count go up, and it encourages people to try new things and get feedback for it.
Timothy M-Lick <3

#4 CROW

CROW

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 04:26 PM

I can envision too many concepts with not enough people wanting to give feedback. Just my two cents
"You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you."

"ah man, I would give you so much for one of those NIB crossbows or one of those crossbows on the floor. The ones on ebay have gone up to $59 and the shipping alone is $12." -Rip32

#5 el swifto

el swifto

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 04:27 PM

In the last couple of weeks, we've let in approximately 2,200 new and pending validations to membership.

That's a lot.

We also have noticed an abundance, a growth if you will, of forum threads and discussions with the following types of characteristics.

-- More "what is your favorite_____________" threads.

-- More "Concept and Idea" threads, of which many, by the poster's own admission, will never come to pass (or what I call the " I'd try this but I don't have money or time to do it" wet dreams). All talk, no substance.

This was from the front page.

I'm sorry, but it ain't gonna happen.

Edited by el swifto, 14 October 2007 - 04:29 PM.

#6 keef

keef

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 05:02 PM

Piney posted that a while ago.

Notice how he hasn't posted in a while.

Anyone think this is weird? I also find myself coming here less and less. Whenever I do, I see something like "CAN'T GET MY GUN OPEN OMG0DS HELP!" or something stupid like that.

This new topic would be a good place for those types of topics, or should I say people, to post.
Timothy M-Lick <3

#7 Nonsense Man

Nonsense Man

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 05:06 PM

If you dislike concepts then why did you post your LED flash grenade
QUOTE(1lastnerfgun @ Apr 19 2008, 08:39 AM) View Post

40 shots for 40 cocks

#8 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 05:20 PM

There's a big difference there. His thread really isn't a concept thread. It's a thread to see if he should make the item(if there is a market), not how to do it...

#9 Quilan Fett

Quilan Fett

• Members
  • 678 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 05:30 PM

I think it should be a sub-forum of Homemades.
SNAP Shotgun

This guy can see the future!

QUOTE(pokemaster @ Mar 3 2009, 04:18 PM) View Post

hasbro in a nerf war!!!!! dude the will cancel it and confinscate are guns

#10 frost vectron

frost vectron

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 06:39 PM

Exactly... Thanks RAMBO.

Before I buy hundreds of LEDs, I'd like to know if anybody would want them in the first place. I don't want to be stuck with hundreds of LEDs all to myself, now would I?

It's the same deal with Angel's foam topic. Would you spend $5000 on foam before you ask the community if they want any?
Latest Modification: The Professional

"I am a leaf on the wind--watch how I soar" - Hoban "Wash" Washburne, Serenity.

#11 badger

badger

The Walking Nerf-wiki

• Members
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 07:20 PM

I think it would be a good idea to have a concept forum and it could just be a general concept forum for mods homemades etc. So what do you guys think of this?

There is no need for one. It has been talked about many times that concepts are just a waste of time. Most of the people that post them use the word concept the wrong way. A concept would be something that they are going to build, but it may not be as the original design is. It is not an idea that you might do, it is something you ARE working on, but it's final outcome may change.

I say yes.

It shouldn't add to your post count I say, or people would post crap to make thier post count go up, and it encourages people to try new things and get feedback for it.

Don't take this the wrong way, but more and more, people are suggesting things that are similar to NHQ for here. Why is everyone so intent on making the Haven like NHQ? I have nothing against NHQ. There is no need for there to be "child boards" or forums that don't tally any posts into your post count. The post count in my opinion, means nothing. A person with 600 posts of mostly garbage in 1.5 years is a post whore, while someone with only 30-40, where every post is meaningful and contributes to the NIC has more clout in my eyes and is more respected.

Piney posted that a while ago.

Notice how he hasn't posted in a while.

Anyone think this is weird? I also find myself coming here less and less. Whenever I do, I see something like "CAN'T GET MY GUN OPEN OMG0DS HELP!" or something stupid like that.

This new topic would be a good place for those types of topics, or should I say people, to post.

Piney is married, has kids, and that thing some of us call a life. I am only on often because I get bored at work and check on things from my cellphone from time to time. I also go on alot at night since I suffer from some sleeping disorders.

Just because Pineapple isn't on nearly as much anymore doesn't mean that his comments should be disregarded (I know that isn't what you meant keef, but some people are probably thinking it). His post from the frontpage still holds true today. There is no need for concept threads. Post up a mod or homemade thread that you are working on or have completed already.

I think it should be a sub-forum of Homemades.

No. Once again, we do not need to emulate NHQ. If the admins here at NH were to take every suggestion for a child board, no-post tally forum, and every "Favorite" thread pinned, then there wouldn't be much of a difference from NHQ except for the programs that run the boards. I am not opposed to change, but I am against the production of useless and probably very irritating forums.
As Carbon once said,

"The moment you can no longer see the fun in running around like a little child is the moment you begin to die."

Roses are FF0000
Violets are 0000FF

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US

#12 precisionnerfer

precisionnerfer

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 07:24 PM

Edit: Well, I was going to say something, but I think badger rapped it up nicely.

Edited by precisionnerfer, 14 October 2007 - 07:24 PM.

"Good character is something you cannot fake. And it always comes full circle at the end."
-Piney-
"It is amazing what a bit of conversation can do, as apposed to just *^$(*#*^ about it."
-AJAQ-

#13 The Infinite Shindig

The Infinite Shindig

Arma-what-now?

• Contributors
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 08:10 PM

I think these lyrics tie up my opinions rather well:

Dream On, Dream On, Dream On

Badger was right when he said this isn't NHQ. I don't think we'll be changing much soon.
Shindig of the Lawn Chair Mafia

<a href="http://www.albinobla.../flash/posting" target="_blank">Posting and You</a>

#14 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,893 posts
  • State:Wisconsin

Posted 14 October 2007 - 08:14 PM

It's best to develop a prototype and just do it, in my opinion.

Amen. Less talk, more rock.
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#15 Cmdrmack

Cmdrmack

• Members
  • 545 posts
  • State:Georgia

Posted 14 October 2007 - 09:42 PM

If you don't like it here, there are other forums out there, they probably even have concept threads.

NHQ has one started by a guy named Shade, he's my brother and he's into that stuff. NerfHaven was designed to avoid that, among other things, and therefore attracts a certain kind of nerfer. NHQ is more accepting of that, and therefore attracts another kind. Go there, conceptualize there, it's a good site.
QUOTE(Predalien_Ro @ Apr 7 2008, 10:24 PM) View Post

Oompa: FECES!? Who in their right mind would try that shit!?

Bigger Salvo

{FWPC}

#16 Kenpachi Taicho

Kenpachi Taicho

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 03:33 PM

I say no. The reason being that concepts for mods belong in the mod section, and same goes for homemades. The point being that there is already a place (that is properly organized) for concepts to be shared among the community.

#17 keef

keef

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 03:52 PM

Acctually, concepts aren't allowed, but you could PM Piney to see if he will let you post your concept thread, he'll give you an answer :D
Timothy M-Lick <3

#18 Kenpachi Taicho

Kenpachi Taicho

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 06:37 PM

I might be using the term "concept" out of context for what I meant, or I might be 100% wrong (if I'm wrong, thanks for correcting me keef!). When I say "concept" I mean something that is a work in progress, or something that is 100% going to be fabricated. I don't mean a "maybe this will work", or a "I might be working on this in the future". Personally, I don't like "fence sitters".

Edited by Kenpachi_Taicho, 29 October 2007 - 11:07 PM.

#19 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,761 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 11:01 PM

Hell no. If you don't intend to do it now or you can't do it sometime soon then it's not worth talking about and would just clog up the forum with useless stuff that very people can learn anything from. In fact it would be better to not post anything until you actually have something tangible to post.

I'm guilty of posting concepts in the past that never went anywhere. I intended to make them at the time and had the ability to make them, but discovered technical problems that would have prevented them from working.
I'm not going to do that again. Everything I post from now is going to be something I plan to make within a few weeks time, or have already started making.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 29 October 2007 - 11:07 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#20 Liam

Liam

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 04:39 PM

I actually voted "I Don't Care". I don't really like concept posts like "would this work" or "should I try this". But if we had a concept forum it wouldn't be hurting me at all.
The chances of one person taking a bomb on a plane are one in a million. The chances of two people taking a bomb on a plane are one in a trillion. So if you're scared of a terrorist attack, bring a bomb on a plane.

#21 Dr Moose

Dr Moose

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 05:05 PM

I vote no, because even though I would probably not go in that forum really, I would not want a bunch of impossibly stupid concepts cluttering the recent topics on the front page.
QUOTE(Forsaken_angel24 @ Apr 29 2008, 01:24 AM) View Post

QUOTE(Kid Flash @ Apr 27 2008, 06:11 PM) View Post

What is the best way to go at removing a stump without any power tools? Thanks ahead of time!

Be a man! Use your hands!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users