Photo

Longshot Help!

9 replies to this topic

#1 six-five-two

six-five-two

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 12:40 AM

Well, I am modding my longshot, removed ARs, sealed the bolt hole thingy, better plunger seal, longshot+commlink spring, and finally... PETG barrel with 1/2" coupler ending. So now I am trying to put it back together, I did... but now my gun has about 2' of range! What did I do wrong? Here is what I think happened:
Posted Image
See that circled area? First of all, is that needed? Can I just take it out?

Now see that arrow pointing to the breech, I have a feeling the air is leaking through the part from the breech thing to the barrel. How could I make a better seal for it since it is only a semi circle?

#2 Uterly

Uterly

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 01:31 AM

more pics of what you did to the inside please

#3 frost vectron

frost vectron

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 01:36 AM

You do need that circled area for a stock longshot.

That is called the "Dart Tooth". Basically a longshot's barrel is the bolt itself. The dart tooth pops up and prevents a dart from going down the fake barrel. The bolt then moves on top of this dart that is stopped. Then the dart tooth goes down and you can fire through the fake barrel.

Without the dart tooth, the bolt will just push the dart into the fake barrel that has absolutely no seal on the dart at all.

I don't know exactly what you did as far as the PETG stuff, so I can't provide anything useful until we get details on how you went about the barrel replacement.

Edited by frost vectron, 25 September 2007 - 01:37 AM.

Latest Modification: The Professional

"I am a leaf on the wind--watch how I soar" - Hoban "Wash" Washburne, Serenity.

#4 AJAQ

AJAQ

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 12:20 PM

Ah I can help here.

Dart tooth is not needed at all with a PETG barrel.

As for the seal, find a local craft store, and purchase craft foam. Then, measure out a piece that will outline the Bolt receiver. (aka the thing that holds the PETG). Don't try to cut a hole for the PETG.

Now, superglue the foam on. Only apply superglue to the orange portion of the bolt receiver. (also note, don't extend the foam too far down the Receiver, because it will interfere with the clip.

Now, let it dry, and find a knife. Cut out the portion that is "inside" the petg piping. (This will not only remove it, but provide a good fit to the bolt.)

Now, take the receiver and the bolt. Put them together. (Note: wait a bit to let the glue dry. It dries slower on the foam) Blow air down the barrel- if you put your hand below the reliever, and can feel air,You need to add a few "touch up" pieces of craft foam.

That should help you out.

Also, make sure your darts ARE being pushed into the PETG, and NOT allowed into the bolt AT ALL. (put a mound of superglue in the bolt to shrink the opening enough to keep darts out.)

You want the bolt to put the dart IN the PETG.

If you need pics, I can do such, but it might take me a bit to get a camera.
~AJAQ~

#5 ace of knaves

ace of knaves

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 02:34 PM

That dart tooth, annoying as it is, is necessary. Unless you want to spend your time doing a lot of un-jamming, leave it in. You can, however, remove the clip lock. (Long orange piece that slides perpendicular to the plunger.) Mine's gone and it works fine.
My point is, I went crazy. When I saw what a black, awful joke the world was, I went crazy as a coot! I admit it! Why can't you?

#6 six-five-two

six-five-two

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 05:38 PM

But with or without a dart tooth and a PETG barrel, wouldn't the air leak?

..Reading AJAQ's post now.

Edited by six-five-two, 25 September 2007 - 05:39 PM.

#7 AJAQ

AJAQ

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 11:55 AM

The dart forms a seal when it goes into the PETG. Therefore, there is no need for the dart tooth with a complete PETG setup. (AKA, from the edge of the orange receiver, to the end of the gun, is PETG.)

You are no longer having the dart IN the bolt, so therefore, the dart tooth is pointless WITH a PETG setup.
I don't have a camera, but I do have a cell phone. I will try to get some pictures for a writeup over this in the next week or so.

Edited by AJAQ, 27 September 2007 - 11:56 AM.

~AJAQ~

#8 Kalentar13

Kalentar13

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 03:43 PM

if you use a complete PTEG setup, the dart tooth isn't neccesary. AJAQ's suggestion about the KRAFT foam saved my a few months ago when I had the same problem. Just make sure the magazine can still slide in after the kraft foam is in place.
The Three Shall Spread Their Blackened Wings and Be the Vengeful Striking Hammer of God.

#9 Team Slaya

Team Slaya

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 02:35 PM

AJAQ, you do realize that the whole bolt receiver is orange, right? B)

I'm just wondering what you mean by "outlining" the receiver. I'd just like to know how your seal is being made, that would really help. Maybe a pic or a diagram - maybe one of the pics in the LS sticky can be used.

TS

#10 bpso86

bpso86

• Members
  • 618 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 04:55 PM

Okay, guys... there are two ways you can add a petg barrel to your longshot.

1.) Keeping the dart tooth (the way I did it in my mod).
-This method DOES NOT use the petg as a "barrel" as we like to call it, but more like the fake barrel that nerf put on the ls in the first place. With this method, you will cut a slot in the petg for the dart tooth, so you still use the bolt as the barrel, and the petg is only there to improve the accuracy and keep the dart from bouncing around. I have done this mod, and it works well, and gets very good range.

2.) What Ajaq said, and getting rid of the dart tooth.
-This method DOES use the petg as a barrel. This is why it is so important to use the foam for a good seal, since the dart will not be in the bolt, but rather it will be in the petg. If you did it this way, then your darts will get pushed into the petg by the bolt, and they will not stay in the bolt. I have not done the mod this way, but others have and have had success.

My point is, don't just say there's only one way to do it until you've explored other options. There are multiple ways of modding it, and they all have their advantages and disadvantages.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users