Bored so i'll write about my sunday

28 replies to this topic

#26 Maeric

Maeric

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 08:35 PM

Bingo. Best advice on this thread.

Theres a history here, I don't think people arbitrarily hate their children's hobbies. But is it something a serious talk can't fix? Even if your parents dislike how you spend your time, I think it seems important to try and hold firm. I think that we all have obligations to the people who brought us into the world, fed us, clothed us, and gave us a bed. But as you get older, we assert our independace and part of that should ultimately be the freedom to choose how to spend your time.

Holy crap! That is the freaking best advice i have read on this forum to date. Except maybe: Don't go emo.
Active on H3Artificer as Halacar. GT: Halacar send me an invite if you wanna forge.
I'm amazing at Forza3! I destroyed the engine of a 2mil C car by downshifting! YAY!
I hate you. And all noobs who are like "OMFG i r liek, glued sh1t 2 shit. jak offf ma ego. NAOW!"

#27 precisionnerfer

precisionnerfer

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 12:33 PM

The ultimate way to get what you want with your parents is to reason with them. Show them a lot of respect and in this case, your dad won't know what to do with all of it. The main thing a father wants is respect, do that, and you have unlocked the door to his mind. Respect his wishes, bury your guns for a while, and then a few weeks later write a speech on how they are really not that bad, and modifying them makes them toys for all, as well as giving you more experience with physics, engineering, and that sort of thing. After that you might even get a gun on your birthday.
good luck
-PN
"Good character is something you cannot fake. And it always comes full circle at the end."
-Piney-
"It is amazing what a bit of conversation can do, as apposed to just *^$(*#*^ about it."
-AJAQ-

#28 keef

keef

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 01:48 PM

Or you could sit him down. Tell him hes an asshole that is no better degrading his own child and if hes fast, run for your LIFE.

It works.
Timothy M-Lick <3

#29 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 04:21 PM

How the hell does eliminating Nerf from someone's life degrade it? It's a nice hobby, but in reality it doesn't really bring anything to the table that almost any hobby doesn't. Don't get me wrong, I love Nerf, but it's just that, a hobby like any other.

I may be way off base here, but I doubt any of us know this guy's dad. As such, I really think we should not give specific examples of how or how not to approach this. Everyone is different, and we really can't say how to handle something not knowing his dad.

@schief - I think you made a vey accurate statement, however, the meaning of 'ultimately' could mean our legal age of conscent, the day we move out, or sooner depending on our parents. Again, I agree with you, but no matter how much we assert our independence, it doesn't mean that we're going to have complete, or even a lot of control over our own time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users