In response to enormous bashing

41 replies to this topic

#1 precisionnerfer

precisionnerfer

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 12:22 AM

Hey guys
Some of you say that the nite finders I mod cannot get as I say, which would be 115ft. I always did mean to contribute to these forums, but I think I am going to do it a little earlier then planned due to strict criticism on my mod. I do not have the time, [since it's 1 am] to tell you how I modded the nite finder, but in my trading thread I said I used CDTS in my guns for that range, but that did not seem to make a difference. This leads me to believe I might have invented a new type of dart, or that the people on my thread were being ignorant of the fact I was using CDT'S, so if this is old, please don't flame me. If you don't understand look at the sorry thread.
Assuming that the members were not ignorant of that fact here is how I do my darts:
What you will need:
A hot glue gun [preferably low temp]
However many sticks of glue you wish
1 or more like new or better dart tag darts. [Velcro tipped]
Some 4.5mm bbs.
Sharp scissors [I used kitchen scissors]
finger nails [those normally come with your fingers]
mild dart making skills

Okay, collecting your supplies together, grab your dart tag darts loosely and with your dominate hand carefully begin peeling off the tip with your thumb finger nail. Gently at first, going all the way around, and then peeling the whole tip off, as to where you can see through the hole in the dart. It may take you a while to get the hang of it, but you want to have a smooth foam dart, [without finger nail marks] in the end.

Once you have your choice amount of tips and smooth darts, turn on the hot glue gun and put it over a paper plate or something to keep the glue off the floor. Grab the scissors in one hand and a tip in the other.

You will notice that the tip is like a mushroom in shape, with the stub like the stem, and the Velcro tip like the head. Carefully cut away the 'head' part of the 'mushroom' until you only have the 'stem' I normally do this by cutting the tip all the way around, and then losing the stub away from the flat part. [you will see what I mean]

After you have cut all of your stubs off, get rid of the heads and keep the stubs.

Now, carefully insert your stubs back into the darts, preferably where the tip used to be. If there is a hole in the stubs put it in with the hole facing up.

Now, get a single bb, and stick it in the dart's head, as to where it is in the dart, and resting on the stub inside. Push it in until it is level with the top of the dart. Now take it out, and do that with all the darts.

Finally, grab your hot glue gun and fill up the dart with glue, [on the top where the stub is] then insert a bb in the center of the glue, and push it in with the hot glue gun until it is level with the top of the dart like before.
Now make a dome over the top and let it dry.

When your done with your darts, stick them in any Nerf gun on the market today and put them up against any stock dart. They will kill it. They turn good guns into better guns and great into best. The secret in the distance on these darts is that they are tip heavy, so they get more power out of the barrel. If you put them in a nite finder that does not have a barrel upgrade you will be simply amazed at what they can do. If you want the extra distance these darts are perfect. They also cut wind well, so if you angle your shots you can still hit great just by aiming up.

I hope this helps!
-PN
"Good character is something you cannot fake. And it always comes full circle at the end."
-Piney-
"It is amazing what a bit of conversation can do, as apposed to just *^$(*#*^ about it."
-AJAQ-

#2 badger

badger

The Walking Nerf-wiki

• Members
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 03:02 AM

This is similar to the way I make my CDTs, but I do a couple of things differently.

To comment on the range though, the darts don't make that much difference. They may increase the range by, at most, 5-10 feet, but that is very unlikely.
As Carbon once said,

"The moment you can no longer see the fun in running around like a little child is the moment you begin to die."

Roses are FF0000
Violets are 0000FF

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US

#3 One Man Clan

One Man Clan

TOFTS

• Contributors
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 05:26 AM

I don't want to sound like a dick, but it's just very hard to believe you can achieve CONSISTENT ranges out of a NF like that. People have trouble getting those ranges out of xbows and BBB's and they have much larger plungers and springs.
I hate you.

#4 keef

keef

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 06:47 AM

Unless your bullets are top-notch, you have a telescoping brass barrel, and the McMaster spring replacement, also with no air leaks and a great seal, then I'll actually believe you. But I don't think anyone has gotten that. I did the Home Depot spring replacement and a Crayola+coupler, and get like 40 tops.
Timothy M-Lick <3

#5 King Of Butt Land

King Of Butt Land

• Banned
  • 324 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 09:59 AM

Just because you can't do it doesn't mean he can't. I believe he said these ranges were angled. I believe that.

-butt
QUOTE(Puppy-§layer @ Dec 18 2008, 04:22 AM) View Post

This contest may have some flaws, as people can simply be a deuschbag over the internet. By Lying.

A war-like setting/invitational would be better...

#6 Flaming Hilt

Flaming Hilt

• Members
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 10:51 AM

I have a question.

Where do you live?

The reason I ask is because changes in atmosphere can often mean changes in range. I know imaseoulman can attest to this. If you live really high up where the air is thin, your darts are going to shoot farther. On the other hand, come down to where I live or even lower to where most of the east coasters are, and your range is two-thirded.

Just a thought.
" Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Mr. Creedy. Beneath this mask there is an idea...
...and ideas are bulletproof. "
V

#7 precisionnerfer

precisionnerfer

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 11:15 AM

Has anyone actually tried these darts? Before you tell me to shut up actually try them please.
"Good character is something you cannot fake. And it always comes full circle at the end."
-Piney-
"It is amazing what a bit of conversation can do, as apposed to just *^$(*#*^ about it."
-AJAQ-

#8 The Shadow

The Shadow

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 11:29 AM

Perhaps you could give us a video of your nitefinder shooting however far it does? Or pictures of the internals or something?
I'm just concerned that NH could be held liable when Ted inevitably ties this kid up and sticks him in his trunk for safe keeping. Seriously, Parkway, you might want to think about carrying a tazer.

#9 precisionnerfer

precisionnerfer

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 11:33 AM

Perhaps you could give us a video of your nitefinder shooting however far it does? Or pictures of the internals or something?

Great idea! I could do that but I have never posted a video before. Maybe I can get some video out soon. Hopefully very soon and you can prepare to believe. If I do make a video, it will be with the wind silent, and I will show the trees not waving to show it. Then I will angle the gun, and show you the 100ft tape measure. Then I will shoot three times and show you the distances with no funny biz. Be on the lookout for the video.
-PN
In reply to where I live, Arkansas. Not high up though.

Edited by precisionnerfer, 14 July 2007 - 12:57 PM.

-Piney-
-AJAQ-

#10 b00m13

b00m13

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 01:07 PM

Hi, are you going to write up a mod guide for this 115ft NF?
Because I have a badly modded NF (it was one of my 1st guns so it was a mostly guinea pig), and I'm hoping to get something out of it besides the 40ft it currently has. I've read your ebay auctions where you start to explain what changes you've made, but then it says since it shoots 115fft, you wont explain the rest of the changes on it. Hopefully you can post a mod guide with some internal pics, (Video isn't even necessary, because I wanna try it out for myself).

The only place Wal-Mart exists in New York, is in our TV's.

#11 precisionnerfer

precisionnerfer

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 01:11 PM

Hi, are you going to write up a mod guide for this 115ft NF?
Because I have a badly modded NF (it was one of my 1st guns so it was a mostly guinea pig), and I'm hoping to get something out of it besides the 40ft it currently has. I've read your ebay auctions where you start to explain what changes you've made, but then it says since it shoots 115fft, you wont explain the rest of the changes on it. Hopefully you can post a mod guide with some internal pics, (Video isn't even necessary, because I wanna try it out for myself).

Of course. Like I said I did mean to contribute to the forums, but because of bashing I did it a bit early. I'm afraid it will be a while before I get a nite finder write up out, because of limited supplies to do the mods and experiments, but it will come out.
EDIT: I have a friend who does you tube, so he will post the video, hopefully tommorow. If not tommorow whenever I get my next batch of NF's ready. DOUBLE EDIT: I mean the range test video.

Edited by precisionnerfer, 14 July 2007 - 02:38 PM.

-Piney-
-AJAQ-

#12 badger

badger

The Walking Nerf-wiki

• Members
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 02:52 PM

Has anyone actually tried these darts? Before you tell me to shut up actually try them please.

I do a couple of things differently in my CDTs, like I stated before. I still use the tip's post in the dart, but I place the BB inside the post through the hole, I use Liquid Nails for the adhesive, and I use a foam or felt pad for the tip. The weight is near identical with a variance of about 5 grams. My darts do not get the ranges that yours get, and I have fired them from a modded TTG that uses PETG as the barrel.

I still have to say, until I see this video, that your ranges are bullshit. Most of the people that I have played with at wars use bungees and rubber bands on their modded NFs and they still don't get even close to 115' on an angle, and they are some of the best modders in the NIC.

There is no way your version of a CDTD could result in such a marked increase of a NF's performance.
As Carbon once said,

"The moment you can no longer see the fun in running around like a little child is the moment you begin to die."

Roses are FF0000
Violets are 0000FF

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US

#13 Guest_DarkInfection_*

Guest_DarkInfection_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2007 - 06:54 PM

I have some questions and comments.

First off, I tried making some of your darts, and I made them exactly how you made them.
I took them down to my side-walk, and did some testing. Now I wasn't all that precise in measuring, but at an angle, my Nightfinder shot from our driveway, down to the neighbor's. Thats pretty far, at least eighty feet. Yet I still have a few things I need to clear up. I'm not sure what mods you did to yours, so that might affect the result. I have a handy-man spring, padded plunger-head, and CPVC (SCH 40, 1/2") coupler on mine. The barrel I used was 4 inches long. Now I wasn't sure if you had or hadn't replaced the barrel, but I thought that you had. So I guess I'll give this myth a PLAUSIBLE.
:D Oh dear sweet Lord, forgive me for that horrid Mythbusters reference. :D

Edited by DarkInfection, 14 July 2007 - 06:54 PM.

#14 precisionnerfer

precisionnerfer

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 08:46 PM

I have some questions and comments.

First off, I tried making some of your darts, and I made them exactly how you made them.
I took them down to my side-walk, and did some testing. Now I wasn't all that precise in measuring, but at an angle, my Nightfinder shot from our driveway, down to the neighbor's. Thats pretty far, at least eighty feet. Yet I still have a few things I need to clear up. I'm not sure what mods you did to yours, so that might affect the result. I have a handy-man spring, padded plunger-head, and CPVC (SCH 40, 1/2") coupler on mine. The barrel I used was 4 inches long. Now I wasn't sure if you had or hadn't replaced the barrel, but I thought that you had. So I guess I'll give this myth a PLAUSIBLE.
:D Oh dear sweet Lord, forgive me for that horrid Mythbusters reference. :D

Thanks for trying them out Dark infection. While your at it, please tell us how your stephans and stock darts did against mine if possible, so some people will realize there IS a big difference. Anyway, the handy man spring is right, but the padded plugger head would reduce the air pressure, and I don't know what a coupler is. I do know that the longer barrel reduced the angled range a good margin, because the plugger air goes to the stub and the dart in a regular barrel is hanging out, so it gives it some more momentum. However at least 80 ft with those issues are good, and yes I did a few other mods such as a new plugger screw, modified the plugger rod and glued it all in to make for durability to name some. Also if you cut of any rings from the handyman mine might have less rings cut off. If you say at least 80, that would probably be anywhere from 90-100+, and you might not have made your darts Exactly the same as mine, since I didn't have pics. However I would lean more glue on the tip then less. This also helps the angled range.
-PN

Edited by precisionnerfer, 14 July 2007 - 08:47 PM.

-Piney-
-AJAQ-

#15 shadowkid33

shadowkid33

• Members
  • 633 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 08:50 PM

Well, I'd use 3/0 fishing weights for the darts instead of BB's. I have made darts like this before and they are my longest range darts. I say that CDTS are the way to go for long-range darts, but for price and overall goodness, stefans are the best.
how the heck do you make a double clip?

Here are the steps.
1. Go to the search button in the right corner of the screen
2. Click
3. Search double longshot clip.

i dont have time, jeez, im new here!

#16 precisionnerfer

precisionnerfer

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 10:50 PM

Well, I'd use 3/0 fishing weights for the darts instead of BB's. I have made darts like this before and they are my longest range darts. I say that CDTS are the way to go for long-range darts, but for price and overall goodness, stefans are the best.

Actually I have another dart that I think is overall best, which is like a ctds, but a half ling without the stubs. You make it by taking off the tip and then cutting it in half, and then gluing the ends and then inserting a bb, and then gluing the dome. For price though, yes, I believe stephans are the best. Actually I plan to order some from wldworld.
-Piney-
-AJAQ-

#17 Guest_DarkInfection_*

Guest_DarkInfection_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2007 - 06:53 AM

I don't know what a coupler is.

A coupler allows you to pull the barrel out, load a dart from the back, and stick the barrel back into the coupler.

I do know that the longer barrel reduced the angled range a good margin, because the plugger air goes to the stub and the dart in a regular barrel is hanging out, so it gives it some more momentum.

No. That is completely incorrect.
The longer barrel that I have allows the dart to accelerate longer, and in that way gaining momentum.Four inches is about the right length to have with a Nightfinder's barrel. I believe that has been found by trial and error. The barrel that I have, is not any longer than anyone else's, and are the same length.

Also if you cut of any rings from the handyman mine might have less rings cut off.

I have not cut any off.

......................CONCLUSION...........................

I still believe that ANGLED, there might be the slightest chance that you may have gotten 115, but now that I know exactly how you modded yours, I'm doubtfull............

#18 precisionnerfer

precisionnerfer

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 07:56 AM

I do know that the longer barrel reduced the angled range a good margin, because the plugger air goes to the stub and the dart in a regular barrel is hanging out, so it gives it some more momentum.

From my experience it has been right. I stuck some of OMC's PETG on my nite finder and made sure it was straight, and then glued it over the air restrictor piece that is bored. I got less range that way. For some guns however, like a DTB, the PETG worked great, getting me 10 extra feet and way more acuraccy. Anyway I guess I discovered something weird that I don't yet know about to get them to shoot that far. Maybe the video will click something in all of your minds that hasn't clicked in mine. I'll try to make it and post it this afternoon, but if not, I'll do my best.
-PN

Edited by precisionnerfer, 15 July 2007 - 07:59 AM.

-Piney-
-AJAQ-

#19 Retiate

Retiate

• Members
  • 778 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 12:27 PM

I stuck some of OMC's PETG on my nite finder and made sure it was straight, and then glued it over the air restrictor piece

What kind of glue did you use? If your using hotglue, that's why it didn't help. Hotglue will come off real easy, giving you a horrible seal, causing decreased ranges.
I'm assuming you used no bands or bungees, right?

I'll wait on the video to decide whether it can go 115' consistently or not.

#20 precisionnerfer

precisionnerfer

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 02:58 PM

I stuck some of OMC's PETG on my nite finder and made sure it was straight, and then glued it over the air restrictor piece

What kind of glue did you use? If your using hotglue, that's why it didn't help. Hotglue will come off real easy, giving you a horrible seal, causing decreased ranges.
I'm assuming you used no bands or bungees, right?

I'll wait on the video to decide whether it can go 115' consistently or not.

I just got back from outside. We did the video, but it was very, very, humid and hot. I also shot against the wind for assurance, and the darts went 90-100 feet. I won't do this one though, my friend said I could come back anytime this week so I will do it ASAP. Unfortunately I sold the NF I did the testing with, and it ships tomorrow, so It might be a while before I get anymore. I know this sounds like a big hoax but please be patient with me.
-Piney-
-AJAQ-

#21 The Crackerjack Man

The Crackerjack Man

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 03:03 PM

I dont know if im agreeing with the range statement but a video will make me believe. And atleast I can wait and be patient for it.
"Wow, you realy screwed that guy over"

#22 precisionnerfer

precisionnerfer

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 10:32 AM

Well guys, the video went great, and it seems to be pretty convincing. I did it with my friend on his youtube account so it depends on him, but it should be up within the day. I will edit this post and give you a link when it's up.
-PN

Alright, it's up. It looked really good on his mac, but when we got it youtube, it looked alot worse. It made everything sound and look crudy; our voices, our shots, even the music a little. Even still, pretty good. From camra view, it looks like the gun is angled to the moon, but the cam is below me and to the right, so it gives a rather false look on the angle. In reality it's a reasonable angle, about 45-60 degrees. BTW, flat it gets 60-65, but I'm not making a video of that, sorry. Write ups for some guns will come.

Edited by precisionnerfer, 17 July 2007 - 11:26 AM.

-Piney-
-AJAQ-

#23 precisionnerfer

precisionnerfer

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 11:34 AM

Well guys, the video went great, and it seems to be pretty convincing. I did it with my friend on his youtube account so it depends on him, but it should be up within the day. I will edit this post and give you a link when it's up.
-PN

Alright, it's up. It looked really good on his mac, but when we got it youtube, it looked alot worse. It made everything sound and look crudy; our voices, our shots, even the music a little. Even still, pretty good. From camra view, it looks like the gun is angled to the moon, but the cam is below me and to the right, so it gives a rather false look on the angle. In reality it's a reasonable angle, about 45-60 degrees. BTW, flat it gets 60-65, but I'm not making a video of that, sorry. Write ups for some guns will come.

K this post is for the people who subscribed to the thread, so now they know something new is up. I realized editing the post wouldn't do that. Sorry about the rather pointless post. <_<
-Piney-
-AJAQ-

#24 The Crackerjack Man

The Crackerjack Man

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 11:55 AM

Well i've seen it and I believe it. Great job. Now I want to see the write up for that little beast. <_<
"Wow, you realy screwed that guy over"

#25 One Man Clan

One Man Clan

TOFTS

• Contributors
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 02:25 PM

If you are going to arc it an fire it over your head, then yes it should go far. That however is a worthless tactic in an actual war. I promise you won't hit anyone like that, EVER. Congratulations on proving nothing but the obvious.
I hate you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users