Posting From China

55 replies to this topic

#1 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 07:28 AM

Howdy ho everybody. Just wanted to let everyone know that I'm probably going to be much slower to respond to messages and I won't be checking the forums much (if at all) until after August 1st. I'm posting this from the campus library of the Beijing Language and Culture University where I will be living and studying until then.
Surfing overseas websites is pretty dang slow. Kind of reminds me of way back when 33kbps was the norm.

Photos: http://www.captainslug.com/beijing

Edited by CaptainSlug, 09 July 2007 - 03:12 AM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#2 shadowkid33

shadowkid33

• Members
  • 633 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 08:07 AM

Cool! Have fun Slug, and what are you studying there?
how the heck do you make a double clip?

Here are the steps.
1. Go to the search button in the right corner of the screen
2. Click
3. Search double longshot clip.

i dont have time, jeez, im new here!

#3 Substance Abuse

Substance Abuse

• Banned
  • 487 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 08:24 AM

As said in his post he probably will not get back to you anytime soon.
QUOTE(Brass @ Jul 6 2007, 10:30 PM) View Post

QUOTE(keef @ Jul 6 2007, 09:29 PM) View Post

Yeah, I'm in the same case as Substance Abuse...
Brass, ask your mother.

She said your dad owes her three dollars.

#4 All Star

All Star

• Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 08:25 AM

Awsome! Way to go! I wonder if nerf guns in China look any different from the ones here :) .
"One fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish"

- DR. SEUSS

" Would you eat them on a train, would you eat them on a plane?"

- SAM I AM

#5 b00m13

b00m13

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 11:22 AM

If you find yourself in Hong Kong, remember to sit on the LEFT side of the double decker buses.
Why? Hot weather and chicks in shorts should answer your question. :)

Haha, but all kidding aside, don't forget to fill up on hard to find DVD's, like the classic Stephen Chow movies, or original Jet Li's, or even the more recent "My Wife is a Gangster" trilogies, oh and enjoy yourself too!! :)
The only place Wal-Mart exists in New York, is in our TV's.

#6 Evil

Evil

Fucking Copout

• Members
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 11:27 AM

Make sure you google "Tiananmen Square" while you're over there, oh wait, chances are any results have been blocked.
2007 Great American GoreFest Champion (Aug. 4, Apoc)

#7 b00m13

b00m13

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 11:55 AM

Make sure you google "Tiananmen Square" while you're over there, oh wait, chances are any results have been blocked.

The only reference to Tiananmen Square I can recall is when Peter Griffon (Family Guy) was standing next to a Chinese guy while a tank was headed their way... the tank eventually stopped, right?

right? :(

Edited by b00m13, 27 June 2007 - 11:57 AM.

#8 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 01:12 PM

Massacre in which 3000+ people were killed when Chinese students were protesting. I think it was in the 90s but I'm only going by what I can remember from history class.

Anyway, have fun over there and be sure to try some exotic food.

Edited by NerfMonkey, 27 June 2007 - 01:15 PM.

SexD Warves

#9 blister

blister

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 02:19 PM

The only reference to Tiananmen Square I can recall is when Peter Griffon (Family Guy) was standing next to a Chinese guy while a tank was headed their way... the tank eventually stopped, right?

right? :(

It is truly a sad day when people receive their history lessons from Family Guy.

But yea, Beijing is tight. I went there two summers ago. I got fatter because they only had whole milk. You should see the Great Wall. Its awesome.
Subvert the Dominant Paradigm.

#10 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 07:12 PM

I'm taking Chinese 201 and 202.

Awesome! Way to go! I wonder if nerf guns in China look any different from the ones here :lol: .

I haven't seen any yet but we only went to one toy store yesterday.

And I'm well aware of local history. I have class in the mornings from 8:30 to 12:30 but the afternoons are free for me to go do whatever. We went to Wanfujing yesterday and will probably go to Tianhamen Square today provided my knees are up to it. One of the first three weekends I'm probably going to go visit Datong, and there are other more local sights I want to see.

July 26th to August 1st we will visit The Great Wall (which I saw from the window of the plan during the approach), Xi'an, Suzhou, and Shanghai.
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#11 sourskttles772

sourskttles772

• Banned
  • 263 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 07:34 PM

Post some pics if you find any china dart guns. I remember seeing that remake of a mav a couple months ago
http://nerfon.smffor...3.com/index.php
One man Clan:
I saw the Crossbow re-release on the shelf at my local Target, but I didn't want to tell anyone because I wanted them all to myself. I hid them all behind Dora the Explorer toys....
[/quote]

#12 foamforce123

foamforce123

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 08:06 PM

Post some pics if you find any china dart guns. I remember seeing that remake of a mav a couple months ago

Remake of a Mav? I want to see this, could you post a pic please?
Deal wit it.

#13 Guest_DarkInfection_*

Guest_DarkInfection_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2007 - 08:07 PM

right? :lol:

I remember my sister having to study for her sophomore World Geo final, and Tiananmen Square was one part of it, also it's referenced in SOAD's "Hypnotize".

#14 WratH

WratH

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 08:18 PM

Everybody wang chung tonite!
Death be not proud. Though some have called the mighty and dreadful... Thou art not so.

#15 taita cakes

taita cakes

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 10:52 PM

Post some pics if you find any china dart guns.

Post happy snaps too, I live vicariously!
Oh Kentucky, you are so fuggin awesome...

#16 b00m13

b00m13

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 12:39 AM

Hey CS, go up to a cute girl and say

Wei, lang luie, nay seon um seon tong yuk gaw mai-gawk yun jing gaw "Bow chica bow-wow"?

Who knows, they might find it funny and say yes <_<

#17 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 06:09 AM

You're an idiot and your advice sucks.

Anywho, even though it's REALLY slow to FTP the photos, they're going up in http://www.captainslug.com/beijing

#18 shadowkid33

shadowkid33

• Members
  • 633 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 07:41 AM

Nice pics Slug, but what the hell is with the pilsbury doughboy? It's......scaring.....me.....
how the heck do you make a double clip?

Here are the steps.
1. Go to the search button in the right corner of the screen
2. Click
3. Search double longshot clip.

i dont have time, jeez, im new here!

#19 b00m13

b00m13

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 10:25 AM

I think those Doughboys were photoshopped shadow, or atleast I hope they were.

Those "iGallops" for sure look fun, I wonder what's next on their marketing line.

#20 nerfsharpie6

nerfsharpie6

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 05:46 PM

Really amazing... I need to know about the dough boy though. But what is the culture like is it based on mutual respect or a personal code of conduct? Have you seen a difference between younger and older Chinese men and women in like personal differences between say manners and the such? Just a couple questions I'm really curious about the culture.
We hang our flags and banners of victory off of your dead bodies.

#21 mp130

mp130

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 08:21 PM

It looks like the Doughboy is a stuffed animal (or stuffed dough) held close to the camera. But still, I laughed every time I saw it!
QUOTE(DJRayza @ May 2 2007, 04:31 PM) View Post
the range is to that of a midget hurling a small cow

#22 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 01:16 AM

THe Pilsbury Doughboy is a stuffed toy that I got it as a Christmas present last year. He's standing in for me in all of the touristy pictures because I don't want a whole bunch of pictures of myself. He's a decent fascimile anyways considering I'm just as pale.

But what is the culture like is it based on mutual respect or a personal code of conduct? Have you seen a difference between younger and older Chinese men and women in like personal differences between say manners and the such? Just a couple questions I'm really curious about the culture.

The cultural differences vary more between socioeconomic level than they do between young and old. The young people are just as nice as the old people. I don't really know enough Mandarin to ask about values or opinions, I'd have to ask Professor Zhang.

#23 Substance Abuse

Substance Abuse

• Banned
  • 487 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 10:20 PM

I love the pictures. The one of the Future (2008) Olympics building is a great shot.

Post more pics!
QUOTE(Brass @ Jul 6 2007, 10:30 PM) View Post

QUOTE(keef @ Jul 6 2007, 09:29 PM) View Post

Yeah, I'm in the same case as Substance Abuse...
Brass, ask your mother.

She said your dad owes her three dollars.

#24 nerfsharpie6

nerfsharpie6

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 09:38 PM

Thanks CS, I just wanted to know because my cousin was in Japan a month or so ago and just wanted to know about the Chinese culture to see how alike and different the culture was. Thanks for answering my questions.
We hang our flags and banners of victory off of your dead bodies.

#25 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 06:42 AM

I just finished uploading a bunch more pictures that I took over the weekend.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users