Photo

Maverick Cocking Handle Repair Guide

...When a Maverick ticks you off, you bust out the steel...

23 replies to this topic

#1 frost vectron

frost vectron

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 06:49 AM

Hey everyone. I do not own a maverick (and hopefully never will), but several of my friends have them. Actually, we field about four to six mavericks. Three of which have broken on the cocking slide (the plastic braces holding the cocking pin have snapped).

Posted Image

So I went off to my local OSH and found all I needed.

Tools Required:
Dremel
Pliers
Drill

or

Hacksaw, File
Pliers
Drill

Materials Required:
(2) 8-32 Cap Nuts
(1) 2x4 Steel Fence Bracket
(1) 8-32 Threaded Steel Rod

Posted Image

Procedure:

Take the Steel Fence Bracket and bend the end of it inward with pliers so it looks like so:

Posted Image

Remove your cocking slide and the cocking pin. The fence bracket (after bending that part inward) should fit like this ontop of your cocking slide:

Posted Image

Now use the drill to make the holes. First open up your cocking slide and drill holes where the original cocking-pin reinforcement was (refer to first photo in this post). I find it best to remove the plastic sockets for the original cocking pin with a pair of needle nose pliers, then drill dead center in them. Drill holes large enough for the 8-32 Steel Threaded Rod to slide fairly easily in. Line up the holes and drill them into your 2x4 Steel Fence Bracket as well:

Posted Image

Now use the hacksaw + file or dremel to cut the 8-32 Threaded Rod to the correct size. It should go through the cocking slide and protrude about 3 to 4 mm on either side.

Use your two cap nuts to secure the fence bracket and threaded steel rod onto the cocking slide:

Posted Image

Now that all the test fitting is over. You need to open up the maverick itself, remove the extension spring that pulls the slide back to the front of the gun and bend it so it'll fit around the monstrous 8-32 threaded steel rod. The case is big enough to accomodate the steel rod. There might be some resistance for the first few pulls, but it'll eventually slide smoothly.

Posted Image

Now close up the gun:

Posted Image

To install the fence bracket, push the threaded steel rod so it is flush with one end of the cocking handle. Put the bracket over the side with the threaded steel rod sticking out, then push it down on the side where the threaded rod is flush. Once it is lined up, you can push the steel rod so it is protruding evenly from either side of the cocking handle. Put your cap nuts on and tighten away. There--a virtually indestructable cocking slide + pin.

Posted Image

Posted Image

You can tell by some photos that I did Captain Slug's rotation mechanism mod (part of his drop-clip mod). I highly recommend this mod because it makes the maverick more reliable than before. Enjoy.
Latest Modification: The Professional

"I am a leaf on the wind--watch how I soar" - Hoban "Wash" Washburne, Serenity.

#2 zxnam

zxnam

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 08:19 AM

Very, Very nice. I have a broken mav that I now have a use for. How much did the supplies cost you?

Edited by zxnam, 11 June 2007 - 08:20 AM.

#3 nerfer34

nerfer34

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 03:47 PM

Amazing mod.

This is VERY helpful!
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God Damn it Groove, you stole my kill.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->-OMC

#4 frost vectron

frost vectron

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 04:48 PM

The 2x4 Fence Bracket was $0.79

A Four-pack of 8-32 Cap Nuts was $0.49

I forgot how much the 8-32 threaded steel rod was, but it can't be more than few dollars. You get enough rod for several repairs--so if your friends' have mavericks, just charge them a few dollars for the fix and you'll make your cash back. I currently charge $3 per fix on my friends' mavs (though I have yet to be paid yet... hmm).

It is a little excessive, yes, but I take pride in knowing that it will never break in that spot again. Next up would probably be that little orange nub that the cocking pin makes contact with when cocking the gun. Bah.

EDIT: Also, you guys might want to sand the edges and file the corners of the metal fence bracket. Sometimes they are sharp. Everything should be available at your local hardware store--if you can't find the fence bracket, you could use something else (anything that fits, really): Aluminum trench, sheet metal, or even large diameter PVC (cut it lengthwise maybe?).

Edited by frost vectron, 11 June 2007 - 04:50 PM.

#5 nerfboi

nerfboi

• Members
  • 858 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 07:37 PM

Wow, a very detailed wite up on how to fix a broken Mav slider. Very nice. To me, it seems original.
We Ride together, we die together, Bad boys for life.

#6 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 780 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 07:50 PM

Very slick. I like how un-noticeable it looks. It would blend beautifully with a little paint.
QUOTE(VACC @ Jan 24 2008, 06:12 AM) View Post
I am NEVER going to sleep naked in the bed of a former child star ever again....seriously

#7 godzillasoaker65

godzillasoaker65

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 07:33 PM

YAY!!! Salvaging those two broken Mavericks finaly paid off. I thought of this idea before but I didn't have a drill back then and I was attempting to use paper clips instead of a steel rod. (Yes at times you can make due with what you have but not always) Good job on actually making it work though, I've seen alot of Mavericks broken in this way. The only thing I want to point out is that you don't really NEED the fence bracket, but I guess it adds a little more support. I made mine without it and just put the rod through and used the caped nuts but with the fence bracket it does look better. I also couldn't manage to tie that spring around either, so I just used a rubber band which I don't mind at all cuz it makes it harder to pull back, and it slides back faster. (I enjoy using force to cock my guns) But anyways good job

#8 crymsonnite

crymsonnite

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 08:11 PM

this happened to me, omg, i am trying to fix it buy just putting a nail through the outside of the cocker and uptting it through to the other side, now i just need super glue

#9 penguin807

penguin807

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 09:35 PM

Very clean repair. I did the same thing to mine only not as clean and alot more brutal.
Just curious but dose this repair make it any harder to open?

#10 LastManAlive

LastManAlive

• Members
  • 686 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 09:42 PM

I can imagine this working for Crossfires as well. I don't know about you guys, but I trashed the slider on mine. And have yet to make a GOOD way to cock it besides pushing the fron to of the barrel in and pulling it back out.
He came, He saw, and he conquered... But where did everyone go?

#11 Cennipe

Cennipe

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 09:48 PM

This is very usefull, I had to do the same thing on a mav that brook, like, 3 monthes ago. I found that the fence bracket had only one hole in it, so I had to drill the other one. Also, I find that a #6 screw fits better (my opinion). It does make it a little harder to put back together, but it is very worth it.
"Man, a being in search of meaning" Pluto

My user name is pronounced "eat shit." I know that losing is looked down apon in nerf, but, what ever.

#12 OfAllTheNerf

OfAllTheNerf

• Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 10:38 PM

Very cool.

I thin I'm going to do this to my Mavs, even though they haven't broke. I think that it looks better with this mod than stock.
[color=#FF6600][Finesse]-[BitchX]

#13 frost vectron

frost vectron

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 11:31 PM

Taking it apart with the slide on there is fairly simple. It helps a lot if one hole in the fence bracket is oversized (larger than needed to fit the threaded steel rod through) since it gives you wiggle room.

What you do is you take off both cap nuts. Get a hammer or just bang the steel rod to one side. This will free one side of the fence bracket. Then you lift the fence bracket up, and push it so you can move the fence bracket off the other end of the threaded rod.

Alternatively, you can just get a pair of pliers and pull the entire rod out from the gun (but you'll probably disconnect/bend the extension spring a little in the process--it depends how you attached it. Using a rubber band is a good, disposable idea here).

#14 Mackenzie

Mackenzie

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 04:16 PM

This would be ten times easyer by just using a drill press and a nail. But good idea, making it alot stronger than before.

Current weapons:

Rapid fire 20 STOCK (Soon to be modded!)
SIDE ARM: Nite Finder (FULLY MODDED)

Team:

Mackenzie (Automatic Rifleman [Team leader])
Charlie (Grenadier)
Nicole (Marksman)
Brandon (Antitank)

#15 n-strike

n-strike

• Banned
  • 358 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 04:19 PM

This topic is over a month old. Please do not bring back dead topics.
kthxbaisend

#16 frost vectron

frost vectron

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 01:38 AM

In response to Mackenzie's post:

No. It would be easier, but more temporary. The slide plastic will eventually crack (this is what the steel fence bracket prevents).

#17 Alex Bock

Alex Bock

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 05:47 AM

Just a small idea, but you could attach a small handle to the fence bracket to allow for a faster / easier ROF.

This is quite a helpful mod.

[-> alex <-]

Just a small idea, but you could attach a small handle to the fence bracket to allow for a faster / easier ROF.

This is quite a helpful mod.

[-> alex <-]
babyb@lasertagguy.com
http://www.myspace.com/bock_boy
[-> Alex <-]

#18 Flaming Hilt

Flaming Hilt

• Members
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 09:18 AM

As long as this topic is back up for a wee bit...

This would be ten times easyer by just using a drill press and a nail. But good idea, making it alot stronger than before.

No. It would be easier, but more temporary. The slide plastic will eventually crack.

I would actually say they both would work... I don't really think the plastic would crack, especially if you made a clean hole; but on the other hand, having some actual metal on a Nerf gun is just cool.

Where do you find the all-thread? I can never manage to set my eyes on it.
" Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Mr. Creedy. Beneath this mask there is an idea...
...and ideas are bulletproof. "
V

#19 themessiahpsg1

themessiahpsg1

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 11:28 PM

slap an accessory rail on that shit! that would be a kicking rad use of that bracket.
OIC of 34th Light Combat Battalion, Talk to me about enlistment.

#20 frost vectron

frost vectron

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 12:18 AM

The threaded rod can be found in your metal works area. In my hardware stores, they have a small shelf area where they have sheet metal, brass (if your store carries it), square pipes, aluminum, metal rods, and threaded rods.

I guess the plastic on the slide wouldn't really crack, but I figure I don't want to ever have to fix this thing again, so... metal it is. Also, a smaller combination of threaded rod + cap nuts can be used, because I think 8-32 is a fairly large size. It barely fits into the slots in the case.

#21 Whisper101

Whisper101

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 07:07 PM

The exact same thing happened to my mav! Yours looks like a nice solid fix, a lillt complicated though and perhaps costly too? I went down to ACE and got a threaded rod, lock washers, and acorn nuts. Had to shave the rod down a bit but once done, it gives a soild, light, almost stock looking Mav fix.

Great job

Whisper...

#22 Gazoo

Gazoo

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 09:01 PM

Wow, your first post is a necro of a thread that is almost 2 years old..... Nice
groove- Blatant asshattery will not be tolerated

#23 wingd man

wingd man

• Members
  • 514 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 09:54 PM

Wow, your first post is a necro of a thread that is almost 2 years old..... Nice

Maybe, but it is also a good quality post, even if it is useless. Generally the people who necro these threads seem to say "best DTB" or something of the sort.

#24 ilzot

ilzot

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 02:34 PM

Just let this die.

Doesn't matter.
QUOTE(Vinnie D. @ Feb 1 2010, 05:28 AM) View Post

... to be able to get a better burst or sustained fire, rather than blowing the whole load at once.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users