"M" as in "mini"

7 replies to this topic

#1 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 09:58 PM

Nerfer909's Minimi topic got me thinking about going the other direction as far as size, and seeing just how small I could make a SNAP out of my usual parts. (It's also because my parts supplies are pretty low, and I don't have big pieces of anything right now). So, here's the SNAP-M.

Posted Image

Compared to a normal SNAP, it's pretty tiny.

Posted Image

I didn't bother with a handle, deciding that a "hand cannon" sort of firing method would work better for this gun's intended purpose (holdout type of thing). It ain't no primary.

Posted Image

The plunger is sort of a cross of my compact plunger head (which uses compression nuts) and the type of plunger that davidbowie used in his Snapper series of guns.

Posted Image

You hold down the trigger until it's cocked, then release. The middle washer is held in place by the nail. The back washer is the spring stop (compression nuts aren't strong enough to resist a spring). The lead washer is the seal backer.

Posted Image

I used a bit of FBR inside the 1st to 2nd washer to keep it centered.

Posted Image

Yes, it's a little heavy. I was just getting it built without much thought to weight. Couple that with the somewhat weak spring I had available, and the ranges aren't all that (~20-~30 feet). But it's worth working on some more.

Things to improve:

See if I could use the seal backer as the nail catch, so I could eliminate one washer and the spacer.
Get a heavier spring.
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#2 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 10:12 PM

Good work as usual. It reminds me of what a spring-powered SSPB might look like. Try the Handyman springs at Home Depot. I don't remember the part number right now, but it is the size of an NF spring (DO NOT USE IT TO REPLACE THE NF SPRING, it blew the epoxied plunger tube and barrel out of the front of the gun...). You will know when you find it by the way it feels. You may need to nest brass for the cocking rod and reinforce the catch, but it might well be worth it.

Edited by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA, 24 May 2007 - 10:12 PM.

The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

Founder of the Shadow Militia.
Founder of Nightshade Laboratories and The Nightshade Armament Corporation.

#3 Shadow 92

Shadow 92

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 10:18 PM

I like it. The trigger makes up half of the gun :lol:

Things to improve:
See if I could use the seal backer as the nail catch, so I could eliminate one washer and the spacer.
Get a heavier spring.

Shadow Hunter Alpha's right, Handyman springs are the best for small guns.

#4 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 10:19 PM

Thanks. Yeah, everyone talks about the Home Depot springs, but I've never gone to pick some up...always kept going to True Value. I'll check those out. This was built out of spare parts...and I'm running low. I'd like to get this smaller...if I did, I'd probably use that to recreate the SNAP-S, which never worked that well.

#5 nerfer909

nerfer909

• Banned
  • 141 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 10:22 PM

Pretty cool, at least someone recognizez my minimi, and your snaps are verry well done.
Step 1: Throw TTG against wall.
Step 2: Drive to Toy Store.
Step 3: Buy a NF.

Blasphemy. I think you need to throw yourself against a wall, drive to store and buy yourself a brain.

#6 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 780 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 10:34 PM

Nice and compact, you could glue a bunch to the side of a bigger SNAP, and have it loaded and ready to go, as a last resort.
QUOTE(VACC @ Jan 24 2008, 06:12 AM) View Post
I am NEVER going to sleep naked in the bed of a former child star ever again....seriously

#7 jwasko

jwasko

PowerBeard

• Moderators
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 11:03 PM

Good job, and definitely worth the work to improve it a little. Is it annoying and/or difficult having to hold the trigger down to cock it?

Also, sorry for this slightly off-topic question, but I've been looking for those handyman springs (mentioned a few posts above) for forever. The only springs I can find at the Home Depot nearest me are extension springs, in the hardware aisle. I even asked a couple of employees, and they had no idea where compression springs might be.

So, any help in pointing me to the right section of Home Depot would be most appreciated.

-Jwasko, STILL Sole Surviving member of Steel City Nerf and Sober Sister of the Sex Dwarves
We NERF ON all day, and FUCK OFF all night

#8 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 11:16 PM

Good job, and definitely worth the work to improve it a little. Is it annoying and/or difficult having to hold the trigger down to cock it?

Really not bad at all. It's a switch from what I've built before, but I think the lack of handle makes it feel more natural: it's not like the other ones, so I have to hold down the trigger.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users